Australian Open

rudi must stay

rudi must stay

That time of the year again, always a high quality tournament. Not sure who you'd put as favourite, but Djokovic has just dropped a set v Struff, a hard hitting and big serving player, the sort of player that can beat a big seed in the majors so we'll see

I P Knightley

Very hard to look past Djokovic for a tournament that, recently, has demanded phenomenal stamina. All being well, his third round will be against Dan Evans (very pleased to see him keeping up a good standard of play) and then Djoko may come up against Kyle Edmund (who really should be above Evans in the rankings - properly gone off the boil.) 

Djoko' has got Federer in his half. The Aussie open's not a great one for Fed. Others lurking in that half include Shapovalov, Dimitrov and, most likely to shake things up, Tsitsipas. 

Nadal's half includes Kyrgios (potentially) in round three - depends on his mood, of course; Thiem, Medvedev (who I like a lot), and Zverev (another who suffers inconsistency and ought to have appeared in some semi-finals or finals by now, based on his promise of 3 years ago.)

Other than keeping a vague eye out on the Brits, I'm not particularly grabbed by the early rounds for this one. 

I P Knightley

I don't want to quote myself but have to give myself credit for giving Shapovalov and honourable mention, probably as he was about half way to losing in the first set.

I haven't lost it; not one little bit!

rudi must stay

Tough draw from Edmund. Lajovic is on form right now and is a tricky player who seemed utter rubbish till recently but seems an improving player now maybe he's got some nuggets of gold from Novak

rudi must stay

Not Edmund's greatest fan, but fair play to him he can defend well and is quite an athlete. I feel with the shackles off and abit more self belief (he gives away cheap points) and they are often shots he's doing nothing with, simply reacting, with a more positive attitude he could do something good in the game in my opinion. IP you are quite right he has more to his game than Dan Evans and I don't see Evans doing anything in Australia, McDonald was a fantastic opening draw and he nearly messed it up. Although I could be analysing that totally wrong 

Edmund is rotten. So over-rated.

4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Not Edmund's greatest fan, but fair play to him he can defend well and is quite an athlete. I feel with the shackles off and abit more self belief (he gives away cheap points) and they are often shots he's doing nothing with, simply reacting, with a more positive attitude he could do something good in the game in my opinion. IP you are quite right he has more to his game than Dan Evans and I don't see Evans doing anything in Australia, McDonald was a fantastic opening draw and he nearly messed it up. Although I could be analysing that totally wrong 

🤣 well Evans has already done more than Edmund this tournament.

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

It's hard to put a finger on just what's gone wrong with Edmund's game. 

Not long ago, he was in the top 16 and was playing some superb attacking tennis - with a killer forehand. He's just gone completely off the boil. Has he stopped his winter training camps with Andy Murray? Whatever it is, it seems to be in his head. Jo Konta's done exactly the same; from knocking on the door of the top 8, she's dropped like a stone. 

Cam Norrie into a 5th round with P-H Herbert. Having been spoiled with Andy Murray, I think GB tennis is heading back to the good old days of occasionally having a player making to the third round of a grand slam and going mental if there are two or more doing so. Well done the LTA in capturing the momentum of a country!

Just noticed that Ivo Karlovic is playing. He must be nearly as old as me. Fair play to him - dull as ditchwater but making the most of it. Same with Isner, I wouldn't pull back the curtains if he was playing in my back garden but he knows how to milk it. 

rudi must stay
26 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It's hard to put a finger on just what's gone wrong with Edmund's game. 

Not long ago, he was in the top 16 and was playing some superb attacking tennis - with a killer forehand. He's just gone completely off the boil. Has he stopped his winter training camps with Andy Murray? Whatever it is, it seems to be in his head. Jo Konta's done exactly the same; from knocking on the door of the top 8, she's dropped like a stone. 

Cam Norrie into a 5th round with P-H Herbert. Having been spoiled with Andy Murray, I think GB tennis is heading back to the good old days of occasionally having a player making to the third round of a grand slam and going mental if there are two or more doing so. Well done the LTA in capturing the momentum of a country!

Just noticed that Ivo Karlovic is playing. He must be nearly as old as me. Fair play to him - dull as ditchwater but making the most of it. Same with Isner, I wouldn't pull back the curtains if he was playing in my back garden but he knows how to milk it. 

We have been spoilt probably because there's no tennis infrastructure here, there doesn't seem to be any idea to find the next Andy Murray to help us, yes he has talent but his Spanish training made him

good comments on the last two. Isner has a brilliant attitude actually, totally believes in himself. That's been key to him overachieving, I expected to find a shy retiring type but he works his socks off off the court 

Edited by rudi must stay

12 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Posh Knickers dumped out in the first round, shame.

Just don't patronize her.

Edmonds out in straight sets.

LOL @ posh knickers.  She really is an annoying snooty  git.  Glad she got booted out as well as Sharapova.  She needs to retire promptly.  

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Nah they are ok to play. Had a fair bit of rain and your typical Melbourne weather will come into play over the fortnight. 

But I see what you are getting at with the fires but hopefully the worst is over for now although that could change very quickly.....

Visited Melbourne Park in November when they were getting the outside courts ready.  It really is an impressive sporting area literally within fifteen minutes walk from the downtown area. 

👍

I P Knightley

Kyrgios doing his bit to entertain and setting up for a grudge match with Nadal (remember his underarm serve against the time-waster last year?)

He and his oppo (Gilles Simon) were each given a time violation in their match today and reacted by doing impressions of Nadal's service routine. Making a good point, how Nadal is never pulled up for it.

rudi must stay

How good is Kyrgios now? Made Simon look daft in their match and Simon's pretty good

Could be a dark horse if he can take this form into matches v the games top players (they are always his undoing although he always puts in a good performance v them) his intensity and shot selection is improving all the time, he's happy to rally now and wait for his chance. He is also attacking his opponents serve which has got him plenty of points.  Good to see he is taking the game more seriously 

Edited by rudi must stay

rudi must stay

Another great player on tonight, Diego Schwartzman. He reminds me alot of a young Andy Murray, he has fantastic defence and given the chance can hit winners for fun

He has given Lajovic a lesson. Schwartzman looks like a man that believes he belongs at this level and could have an excellent career

rudi must stay

Fair play to Lajovic, he is an excellent player too. It is when you see them up close and the spin and slice they can put on the ball it is impressive, and a miss when there is one will be top of the net. Club players will tell you a top of the net miss is not bad at all infact it's unlucky. I think the standard of men's tennis right now is very very good

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Kyrgios doing his bit to entertain and setting up for a grudge match with Nadal (remember his underarm serve against the time-waster last year?)

He and his oppo (Gilles Simon) were each given a time violation in their match today and reacted by doing impressions of Nadal's service routine. Making a good point, how Nadal is never pulled up for it.

C'mon Rafa!

6 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Another great player on tonight, Diego Schwartzman. He reminds me alot of a young Andy Murray, he has fantastic defence and given the chance can hit winners for fun

He has given Lajovic a lesson. Schwartzman looks like a man that believes he belongs at this level and could have an excellent career

I thought Schwartzman was poor. Plays a better player than Lajovic and he would have been out. 

Wozniaki and Serena out on the womens side. Wozniaki with an embarrassing exit challenging a correct call which lost her the point and put Jabuer on match point. 

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

How good is Kyrgios now? Made Simon look daft in their match and Simon's pretty good

Could be a dark horse if he can take this form into matches v the games top players (they are always his undoing although he always puts in a good performance v them) his intensity and shot selection is improving all the time, he's happy to rally now and wait for his chance. He is also attacking his opponents serve which has got him plenty of points.  Good to see he is taking the game more seriously 

He'll lose his mind at just the wrong time. Possibly see his way past Rafa (he's got the head to head advantage on hard courts) before slipping up against someone like Ernests Gulbis after that...

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

C'mon Rafa!

If Rafa meets Kyrgios, I'll be backing Kyrgios. 

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, Homme said:

I thought Schwartzman was poor. Plays a better player than Lajovic and he would have been out. 

Wozniaki and Serena out on the womens side. Wozniaki with an embarrassing exit challenging a correct call which lost her the point and put Jabuer on match point. 

I don't think he was. Schwartzman plays a very good game of tennis, he is deceptive. He's only young and will keep on improving (as well as Murray's game he has his hangups at times in lack of confidence at some moments and that let Lajovic in) but in 3 sets v a decent player in Lajovic that's another good win. 

I like these guys because they play a very nice game of tennis technically and are clever on court with their shot making. A lot of it is defensive to some but actually they are thinking all the time on the court 

Edited by rudi must stay

I P Knightley
17 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Very good match

A modern classic I would say

Federer through in five 

By the skin of his teeth. I stopped looking when he was 8-4 down in the tie break. 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

By the skin of his teeth. I stopped looking when he was 8-4 down in the tie break. 

I thought it was to 7 so was quite happy when he won the 7th point. But they kept on playing  

18 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Kachanov Krygios is a good match on paper. 

So frustrating not being able to watch these as you would like, what with the time difference. I watched the Schwartzman and Wozniaki matches last night and can barely keep my eyes open today. 

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, Homme said:

So frustrating not being able to watch these as you would like, what with the time difference. I watched the Schwartzman and Wozniaki matches last night and can barely keep my eyes open today. 

Absolutely right, and it's nice to watch these matches live. Guess I'll have to stay up

4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Absolutely right, and it's nice to watch these matches live. Guess I'll have to stay up

No chance I'm managing tonight. If I wake up through the night I might stick on whatever match is on at the time.  Good card tonight with the Rublev, Thiem and Krygios matches all very interesting. 

rudi must stay
Just now, Homme said:

No chance I'm managing tonight. If I wake up through the night I might stick on whatever match is on at the time.  Good card tonight with the Rublev, Thiem and Krygios matches all very interesting. 

I have work, but works easy :wheresthatdaftcheeringemoji:

18 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

He'll lose his mind at just the wrong time. Possibly see his way past Rafa (he's got the head to head advantage on hard courts) before slipping up against someone like Ernests Gulbis after that...

If Rafa meets Kyrgios, I'll be backing Kyrgios. 

Hands at my chin and Oooooooooooohhhhhh!

Edited by ri Alban

I think Serena has to call it a day now. I felt this was her best chance to get that elusive 24th as couple good players got bombed out and the US champion ( cant remember her name) wasnt playing in this tournament.  Shame. She has a great legacy and is surely the greatest female player of all time?  Well between her and Monica Seles in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I think Serena has to call it a day now. I felt this was her best chance to get that elusive 24th as couple good players got bombed out and the US champion ( cant remember her name) wasnt playing in this tournament.  Shame. She has a great legacy and is surely the greatest female player of all time?  Well between her and Monica Seles in my opinion. 

Martina was the best IMO.

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

Martina was the best IMO.

Yes Martina was incredible.  I just feel that Serena has that edge or Monica. However Martina also had an outstanding doubles and mixed doubles record so perhaps the greatest all round tennis player.  

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes Martina was incredible.  I just feel that Serena has that edge or Monica. However Martina also had an outstanding doubles and mixed doubles record so perhaps the greatest all round tennis player.  

Can,t remember how long it was but she held the top spot for both singles and doubles for an inordinate length of time.

4 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Can,t remember how long it was but she held the top spot for both singles and doubles for an inordinate length of time.

I think she was number 1 for 167 weeks which was a record.  But Graf then beat it. Incredibly Seles won 8 grand slams by the age of 19.  There is no doubt she won have won far more as she was on the ascendant until the tragic knife attack.  That attack skewered Grafs record as she benefited from it as Seles was out for a few years and was sadly never the same player when she returned. Williams has displayed her versatily by wining all the slams more than 4 times.  Thats evidence of her greatest. Martina only won the French twice. 

Edited by JamesM48
typo

16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think she was number 1 for 167 weeks which was a record.  But Graf then beat it. Incredibly Seles won 8 grand slams by the age of 19.  There is no doubt she won have won far more as she was on the ascendant until the tragic knife attack.  That attack skewered Grafs record as she benefited from it as Seles was out for a few years and was sadly never the same player when she returned. Williams has displayed her versatily by wining all the slams more than 4 times.  Thats evidence of her greatest. Martina only won the French twice. 

All world class sport legends without doubt 

14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Steffi actually!

Nah Equal head to head but Martina was a lot older when they met. Both in their prime 2 great players but Martina was the queen.

18 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Nah Equal head to head but Martina was a lot older when they met. Both in their prime 2 great players but Martina was the queen.

Yes Graf overtook Martina around 1987/8 then regularly beat her . However Martina was getting older and not playing as well . It always happens in tennis , another player dethrones the number 1 then they have their turn . Monica dethroned Graf ! And it goes on today ! They all had amazing skills . Graf and that forehand , often disguised . Martina and her serve and volley , Monica with that incredible two handed backhand which she often Did on the run , which physically is almost impossible . ! I enjoyed the 80s and 90s . It seemed a golden age . 

18 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Agree 

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes Graf overtook Martina around 1987/8 then regularly beat her . However Martina was getting older and not playing as well . It always happens in tennis , another player dethrones the number 1 then they have their turn . Monica dethroned Graf ! And it goes on today ! They all had amazing skills . Graf and that forehand , often disguised . Martina and her serve and volley , Monica with that incredible two handed backhand which she often Did on the run , which physically is almost impossible . ! and 90s . It seemed a golden age I enjoyed the 80s . 

Likewise. -- More household names  and charisma than nowadays.

I P Knightley

Entertaining match going on between Nadal and Kyrgios at the moment. Kyrgios has done the obligatory under-arm serve (dumped it in the net) but is generally playing to a very high standard. I suspect he'll be worn out sooner than Rafa so won't win it in 5 sets (currently trailing 2-1).

Wins for Zverev, Nadal, Halep and Mugaruza tomorrow morning i reckon.

Good to see Barty go through too, hopefully she wins the Womans title.

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Some comeback from Roger. Down, injured and out after 3 sets. Hopefully he finishes this cocky no mark soon.

I feel a bit sorry for Sandgren. 

When your parents have called you "Tennys" (pronounced 'Tennis') and forced you through tennis lessons throughout your childhood, they've built up a massive expectation on you, against which you're only going to fail. 

That's the reason I changed my name from Bygshagger.