60in May

Harry Potter

23 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

really cant cope wi this one need over 60s help, you Dave 1st 

If you are referring to sixty years of age you are still just a young man.You are only as old as how and who you feel. I will hit eighty five in a couple of weeks, sixty years married in a couple of months, and I know my years are old, but I am c ertainly not. Last Wednesday I had cataract surgery on my left eye,  this Wednesday coming I will have the right eye done. I am so excited because I have had some pretty expensive lenses put in and will now not require glasses.

Life is there to be lived, and I sure have done that, and I am not looking at the end of the tunnel yet.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

If you are referring to sixty years of age you are still just a young man.You are only as old as how and who you feel. I will hit eighty five in a couple of weeks, sixty years married in a couple of months, and I know my years are old, but I am c ertainly not. Last Wednesday I had cataract surgery on my left eye,  this Wednesday coming I will have the right eye done. I am so excited because I have had some pretty expensive lenses put in and will now not require glasses.

Life is there to be lived, and I sure have done that, and I am not looking at the end of the tunnel yet.

Bloody hell good going. My old neighbour in Cyprus (old as i no longer live there) used to go hill walking with me. He is 81 years old and put me to shame with the energy he has. You are absolutely correct, its just a number. Hope the operation goes well 👍👍👍

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

hate buses bunch o mups lol

Allows you to get pished all over toon and jump on any bus. Cheaper season ticket next season as well.! 👍

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Allows you to get pished all over toon and jump on any bus. Cheaper season ticket next season as well.! 👍

no mate, will golf more

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Sounds good. A sport I'm looking to get back into and get good at. - 👍

m pish probs 16 handicapp lol scottish down there

35 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

not sure about a cheaper season ticket next season, unless your 65 soon, that's the age it kicks in at. As regards the OP 60 is no age at all these days, I turned 65 last November just as I was recuperating from a complete left knee replacement. Its true you can take longer to recover from surgery as you age, but if you do the rehab all should be ok.

Age (Health & mobility permitting) should be no barrier to enjoying life in your 60's. Keep active, keep in touch with friends regularly, develop new interests & activities & keep your brain active, crosswords are good for this. Its too easy to sit & vegetate, I know, as I was falling into this trap until a health scare gave me the kick up the backside I needed.

I'm now  back at the gym continuing & improving my rehab & mobility. My only real problem is the seats at Tynecastle, it can be very uncomfortable sitting with my left knee bent at an angle it really doesn't like.

2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

cheers bob, love you,  you know me, edinburgh is horrible now 4 by 4s all over ll

27 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

cheers bob, love you,  you know me, edinburgh is horrible now 4 by 4s all over ll

Stick with the golf, I moved to Osoyoos in 1992 at age 57 spent the next thirteen years golfing pretty well every day. Our proud boast was that because of the reasonable climate we golfed at least once every day of the year. I used to golf so often sometimes around August I would wake up praying for rain. 

The game keeps you fit, excellent social contacts, and the wife plays with her own friends, a game created in heaven.

Just now, bobsharp said:

Stick with the golf, I moved to Osoyoos in 1992 at age 57 spent the next thirteen years golfing pretty well every day. Our proud boast was that because of the reasonable climate we golfed at least once every day of the year. I used to golf so often sometimes around August I would wake up praying for rain. 

The game keeps you fit, excellent social contacts, and the wife plays with her own friends, a game created in heaven.

Love u pal, fresh air in here mate.

annushorribilis III
14 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I was 60 last week- and has been said, it's just a number (although a number that gets you free prescriptions). 

I'm trying to keep active - have run 10 half marathons in 3 years since I retired and will do Edinburgh in May this year.

I had a major skirmish with the grim reaper two years ago and it has made me realise how precious time is.

If you have good health  count yourself lucky - get on with life.

And avoid old people - they get on my titz. 😀 

17 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

On a thread in the terrace about leaving the game early, you said you were 50 then 55, make your mind up ffs.

1 hour ago, Johnny D said:

On a thread in the terrace about leaving the game early, you said you were 50 then 55, make your mind up ffs.

No he didn’t, he said or at least was trying to say he had supported Hearts for 50/55 years 👍🏻

Harry,

Your'e just a youngster.

I retired at 63 now 65 and loving life.

Playing lots of golf, (handicap within one  of what it was at 30), got myself a dog a few years ago, now got a second one.

Out walking for at least two hours every day. There is a beautiful world out there to be discovered once you have a bit of time.

Dont worry about being sixty, its just he start of another new exciting journey!!

All the best

On 19/01/2020 at 08:22, Harry Potter said:

Keep smiling, pal, you'll be fine.

49 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Harry,

Your'e just a youngster.

I retired at 63 now 65 and loving life.

Playing lots of golf, (handicap within one  of what it was at 30), got myself a dog a few years ago, now got a second one.

Out walking for at least two hours every day. There is a beautiful world out there to be discovered once you have a bit of time.

Dont worry about being sixty, its just he start of another new exciting journey!!

All the best

Pretty much my own system, golf. and a big dog. The dog and the golf both required lots of walking, the golf swing uses lots of muscles, I retired at fifty six and I think some of the first ensuing years I was as physically fit as I had ever been. It also does no harm if and when illness or injury require treatment. Your statement of loving life is so true, for most of us it is the time of our life where we decide. No rules, no policies, just good joint family decisions. My proudest thing was that I have never once said I would have enjoyed a day at work instead of what I am doing

34 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Pretty much my own system, golf. and a big dog. The dog and the golf both required lots of walking, the golf swing uses lots of muscles, I retired at fifty six and I think some of the first ensuing years I was as physically fit as I had ever been. It also does no harm if and when illness or injury require treatment. Your statement of loving life is so true, for most of us it is the time of our life where we decide. No rules, no policies, just good joint family decisions. My proudest thing was that I have never once said I would have enjoyed a day at work instead of what I am doing

Absolutely spot on Bob.

You need to see it as a beginning ,not an end, it makes a huge difference.

HP, sauce & JKB, what could possibly go wrong?

Sorry HP, couldn't resist :peace:

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

2 hours ago, RobboM said:

Anyone else open this thread thinking wtf is a 5ft may? 😂

I was more opening in trepidation (and a little intrigued) as to why the ex-PM was branching into gentleman’s films. 

Space Mackerel
On 19/01/2020 at 13:22, Harry Potter said:

I genuinely thought you were around the age of 19 or so due to your posts on the political threads.

Good luck though, 15 more years to go. 😁

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/raising-pension-age-75-rise-conservatives-ros-altmann-boris-johnson-a9070921.html

6 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I genuinely thought you were around the age of 19 or so due to your posts on the political threads.

Good luck though, 15 more years to go. 😁

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/raising-pension-age-75-rise-conservatives-ros-altmann-boris-johnson-a9070921.html

That article is 5 months old and is only a suggestion by a think tank set up by that self aggrandising  charlatan and intellectual tortoise Ian Duncan Smith. It is not government policy. The Tories would not be stupid enough to implement a recommendation which would cost them millions of votes from the age group most likely to support them. Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas. I do expect the State Pension age to slowly creep up to 70 at some point though. I’m 52 and on target to collect at 67 under current rules.

As for the OP, 60 is nothing nowadays. You’re alive! You’ve made it! I’m sure you’d rather be 30 but you’ve already had your chance to be 30. It’s a helluva lot better than being deid!

Space Mackerel
11 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

That article is 5 months old and is only a suggestion by a think tank set up by that self aggrandising  charlatan and intellectual tortoise Ian Duncan Smith. It is not government policy. The Tories would not be stupid enough to implement a recommendation which would cost them millions of votes from the age group most likely to support them. Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas. I do expect the State Pension age to slowly creep up to 70 at some point though. I’m 52 and on target to collect at 67 under current rules.

As for the OP, 60 is nothing nowadays. You’re alive! You’ve made it! I’m sure you’d rather be 30 but you’ve already had your chance to be 30. It’s a helluva lot better than being deid!

IDS, or IBS as I like to call him was born in Edinburgh. What a massive *****.

He quite like "forunerrs" once though.

image.png.5cb8d889f6812240a5ae2253ecb5c365.png

19 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

IDS, or IBS as I like to call him was born in Edinburgh. What a massive *****.

He quite like "forunerrs" once though.

image.png.5cb8d889f6812240a5ae2253ecb5c365.png

Even The Tories removed him as their leader after only 2 years without getting the chance to contest an election. He may be posh and smooth but He’s as thick as shit in a bottle and they worked that out before promptly binning him. You may not like the Tories but they are very good at wasting no time in binning no longer wanted leaders, including Maggie back in 1990..

Anyway, we’re digressing at a tangent to the OP. There are already far too many political threads. I do hope Harry P handles 60 fine. None of us can control our age and We all just have to make the best of it, 18, 60 or 80. Star poster Bob Sharp is almost 85 and sets an example to us all.

Space Mackerel
14 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Even The Tories removed him as their leader after only 2 years without getting the chance to contest an election. He may be posh and smooth but He’s as thick as shit in a bottle and they worked that out before promptly binning him. You may not like the Tories but they are very good at wasting no time in binning no longer wanted leaders, including Maggie back in 1990..

Anyway, we’re digressing at a tangent to the OP. There are already far too many political threads. I do hope Harry P handles 60 fine. None of us can control our age and We all just have to make the best of it, 18, 60 or 80. Star poster Bob Sharp is almost 85 and sets an example to us all.

I was 48 on the 11th but didn't need to start a thread about it.

Happy auld ***** birthday to me too. 😕

20 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I was 48 on the 11th but didn't need to start a thread about it.

Happy auld ***** birthday to me too. 😕

And from me👍 With respect, 60's much more of a milestone than 48.

I personally didn't make much of a fuss over any of my 'milestone' birthdays. Didn't do anything special for 30, 40 or 50. I was actually quite depressed about 30! 

J.T.F.Robertson
48 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Your final sentence is right on the dosh. "Solomon-wise" is what he is.

J.T.F.Robertson
12 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

And from me👍 With respect, 60's much more of a milestone than 48.

I personally didn't make much of a fuss over any of my 'milestone' birthdays. Didn't do anything special for 30, 40 or 50. I was actually quite depressed about 30! 

If I remember, I think when I was around 15 I would "worry" about hitting 21. 

These days I just worry.  :(

On 19/01/2020 at 13:22, Harry Potter said:

Dave the 1st 1084-1153(coronation 1124). He made it to 68 or 69. Coped quite well, I suppose.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Harry's been quiet since the weekend, I hope he's alright.

I'm surprised the hangover thread hasn't appeared on page 1 with a post from the boy wizard.

20 minutes ago, superjack said:

I'm surprised the hangover thread hasn't appeared on page 1 with a post from the boy wizard.

Very good 😉