The Stendel era begins here

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Airdrie worked hard, closed down well and had a wee bit of threat, but we were everything we've been waiting for. Hard work, crisp passing, pressed well and always looking for the goal.

Bit of rustiness and inexperience in that team, but we still made it look easy. Onwards and upwards.

Agreed. Hopefully this builds the confidence because you can see we now have a decent style and have patterns of play.

Really thought the young lads were excellent.

Excited for the future.

Genuinely not trying to bring mood down after a wonderful result and performance. But it does highlight how terrible we have been for a long time and questions must be asked as to how much progress has been lost with certain people at helm

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Genuinely not trying to bring mood down after a wonderful result and performance. But it does highlight how terrible we have been for a long time and questions must be asked as to how much progress has been lost with certain people at helm

Why don't we just focus on moving forward and pulling ourselves up the table instead? 

Post-mortems can wait. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

I don’t think it does.

We had a problem, we sorted it, we focus on the future.

5 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Why don't we just focus on moving forward and pulling ourselves up the table instead? 

Post-mortems can wait. 

Agree with both of you!

5 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

As long as the people that were at the helm are not responsible for investigating their own mismanagement.  Delighted Stendel is bringing a bit of professionalism to the club at long last.

A lot of confidence can be taken from today.  I thought it was a very accomplished performance and a good platform to build on with hopefully another couple of additions to the Kosovo lad 👍 time to hope Partick pump Celtic 😁

Very pleased today. Poor opposition but we moved the ball forward with purpose and intent. Defence looked a bit wobbly as did our defending in midfield, I think we’re trying to pass a wee bit too often, while under pressure  and that was the problem. That can be tweaked though. 

You can see we are starting to move in the right direction and the effect a bit of positivity has had on some players is close to remarkable. Confident this is the start of something. 

We expected that performance' - Stendel

FT: Hearts 5-0 Airdrieonians

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel was happy to see his side pick up their first victory in 10 games but remained adamant that today's superb performance was no more than what he expects of his side.

Speaking to BBC Scotland, he said: "It was what we expected of our performance. It was good and we had even more chances. For us it was important to get that experience after a period of time without winning a game. It will give us a lift for the next game against Ross County.

I'm liking what Stendel has to say - a good win, but we need to keep pushing on and improving to get ourselves out of the relegation places as soon as possible.... 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Very pleased today. Poor opposition but we moved the ball forward with purpose and intent. Defence looked a bit wobbly as did our defending in midfield, I think we’re trying to pass a wee bit too often, while under pressure  and that was the problem. That can be tweaked though. 

You can see we are starting to move in the right direction and the effect a bit of positivity has had on some players is close to remarkable. Confident this is the start of something. 

he'll want them passing under pressure and the more they do it in match situations, the better they should get at It's like  they are cramming for exams having had next to no guidance for months.

Edited by Riccarton3

Despite the level of opposition, that will be the monkey off the back for all the players. Let’s see how Wednesday goes. 

I’m smitten for Stendel.

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

he'll want them passing under pressure and the more they do it in match situations, the better they should get at it. It'uidances like they are cramming for exams having had next to no guidance for months.

Good analogy 👍

20 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Cannot move forward if you only look over your shoulder 

Thought we werent that great the first half but created the most chances we have in a match in ages the 2nd. Hard to tell how much that was down to Aidrie being poor.

Massive game on Wednesday, which can’t help but feel it will shape how the season goes with Rangers to come after. 5 or more points adrift and its looking bleak, cut it to 2 points and the relegation talk could vanish quickly 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Post-mortems can wait. 

As i said i wasn't being negative. Just making a point 

4 minutes ago, franko1874 said:

How was Moore today? 

Probably should have scored but he was decent. Not scared to have a go at his man and was involved in a lot of our good play. It helps that he's filled out a bit. 

25 minutes ago, franko1874 said:

How was Moore today? 

Thought he looked really sharp and showed some good control and a bit of strength. Of the two I thought he was ahead of Henderson on todays performance.

Takeshi kovac
39 minutes ago, franko1874 said:

How was Moore today? 

Had 2 or 3 great turns in the first half where the defender has went tight and Moore's taken a great first touch and rolled them. He was direct and not scared to take on the fullback , looks like he has filled out a bit too

2 hours ago, E6 Inc said:

Agreed. Hopefully this builds the confidence because you can see we now have a decent style and have patterns of play.

Really thought the young lads were excellent.

Excited for the future.

Moore and Henderson were superb today. Really encouraging. Clare MOTM imo. Can’t agree more that this is the start of a new era! 💪

2 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Probably should have scored but he was decent. Not scared to have a go at his man and was involved in a lot of our good play. It helps that he's filled out a bit. 

1 hour ago, Balders said:

Thought he looked really sharp and showed some good control and a bit of strength. Of the two I thought he was ahead of Henderson on todays performance.

1 hour ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Had 2 or 3 great turns in the first half where the defender has went tight and Moore's taken a great first touch and rolled them. He was direct and not scared to take on the fullback , looks like he has filled out a bit too

Cheers 👍 

Good to hear as I thought he might have been released this window, hopefully keeps improving! 

Interested in hearing if the players looked like they knew what they were meant to be doing, i.e. is DS getting his message across? Genuine question, not trying to suggest anything or have a dig.

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

My only concern is Danny is on a 2.5 year contract.  He’s a keeper IMO.

Better than EL Gato?

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

Said that in another thread before the game that this is where our season starts. I think DS was feeling out his squad before and knew himself he could only do so much before January winter break. 

Now he's moulding them into his own vision and brought back passion, competitive mentality, professionalism and enjoyment. A Proper coach. 

I can only see us getting better and by April, we'll be miles away from 12th and playing great football. Hopefully. 

tartofmidlothian
14 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Interested in hearing if the players looked like they knew what they were meant to be doing, i.e. is DS getting his message across? Genuine question, not trying to suggest anything or have a dig.

They look very well drilled and disciplined to me. Some of our players are better than others, but they all look fully committed to what we're doing.

Edited by tartofmidlothian

3 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

They look very well drilled and disciplined to me. Some of our players are better than others, but they all look fully committed to what we're doing.

Cheers mate, good news - if we are gonna get out of this mess the sooner the players are playing the way he wants them playing the better.

tartofmidlothian
2 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Cheers mate, good news - if we are gonna get out of this mess the sooner the players are playing the way he wants them playing the better.

Think they are already, no question. Just need the guys who have been out to get up to speed and the young guys to build their experience and we could be something special.

Wins breed confidence

it was vital we got a win today 

Onto Rangers on Sunday 

You can see the effect Stendel has had already on some players 

1 minute ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Think they are already, no question. Just need the guys who have been out to get up to speed and the young guys to build their experience and we could be something special.

I absolutely love the optimism of a football supporter. The break looks to have helped him get his ideas across and the players looked like they enjoy that style. I’m looking forward to high energy attacking power football. 

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

Wins breed confidence

Onto Rangers on Sunday 

*Ross County on Wednesday 

2 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Wins breed confidence

Onto Rangers on Sunday 

ross county before sevco

Just now, August Landmesser said:

*Ross County on Wednesday 

So it is 🙄 got Hospitality on sunday my minds set on that totally forgot we are at county midweek 

4 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Airdrie worked hard, closed down well and had a wee bit of threat, but we were everything we've been waiting for. Hard work, crisp passing, pressed well and always looking for the goal.

Bit of rustiness and inexperience in that team, but we still made it look easy. Onwards and upwards.

Before Daniel arrived we would have gone one up and would be hanging on like grim death in the last 15 minutes!

letsalldothebeattie

It’s a start a good start at that but we need to make sure we build on it, starting Wednesday. But seeing plenty of positives and we look like finally moving in the right direction 

Tenaciousdandy

Good to see some nice on the ground football coming from the boys in maroon, stendal has certainly made a difference in the mindsets of a lot of the players, hopefully we can continue it again Ross county on Wednesday, onwards and upwards 

4 hours ago, LeftBack said:

100%. 

Levein turned us into an absolute amateur outfit. 

Makes me wonder about the merits of employing Scottish coaches going forward. If this is the level of direction and professionalism coming from Stendel then TBH I'd rather we kept things out of the hands of Scottish coaches since clearly they are not good enough.

Basic levels of professionalism aren't much to ask for at a club with easily in excess of 10,000 season ticket holders and over 8000 fans digging deep to support the club each month. The previous coaching team clearly developed a culture of mediocrity and failure around the club. Can't wait until every trace of Levein is gone from our great club. 

Looking forward to the summer to see Stendels next steps to get us back to where we should be. Feel very confident going into the rest of the season with Naismith as Captain and Stendel's tactics. 

2 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

The team is being properly coached.

That's the difference for me.

We should have beat Aberdeen as well, the progress is there to be seen. Ross County will be a battle tho, and for me a real test of where this squad is right now

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Wins breed confidence

Onto Rangers on Sunday 

Ross county first 

The Old Tolbooth

I thought we played well today, I also thought Airdrie gave a good account of themselves as well, they made us work very hard and it’s probably exactly what we needed, but in the end class shone through, we played well and it was great to see everyone fighting for each other. 

As an aside, I’ve been following Hearts since 1984, and I’m pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve ever seen us beat that mob in any cup game 

Stendrel has certainly thrown into stark relief the absolute state of Hearts previous coaching set up. Players that were getting hounded now looking like assets. A discernible pattern of play, people knowing their jobs.

I genuinely wonder what Levein is thinking after that? How do him and Daly, MacPhee feel about their record now, about their skill as coaches?

If they aren't feeling pretty sheepish then the only word to use would be shameless.

Edited by TheTrumpet

jamboinglasgow

Felt today, the first half showed nervousness at times but you could see what they wanted to do. But second half after the second goal went in, things clicked and the confidence was high. You started to see the players know what the others will do and that will only build. If we can build momentum (even if games against old firm dont go our way) then we should be fine.

The improvement on the players alone has been remarkable. Not just the youngsters, but seeing players who were written off just over a month ago (like Clare, Boznic and Garrucio) look like new players has been fantastic.

This season has sadly become for us a matter of not getting relegated, anything else is just a bonus. But if we stay up, I have high hopes for next season with Stendel getting a full pre-season to build.