Naismith - New Captain (confirmed)

adam1998

I thought Smith would have been the obvious choice, but I'd take a fit Naismith over him. Let's hope Naismith can stay in fit for the rest of the season.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Pans Jambo

• FarmerTweedy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tenaciousdandy

Naismith is good choice, he's  a natural leader, also good we have a couple of other decent vice/backup options in Smith halkett and Souter if/when Naismith isn't available 

14 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Yet another thing for folk to greet their faces off at.

I personally would have gone for Smith, but anyone who thinks a Scotland International, who has been Captain very recently, isn't good enough to Captain Hearts needs their empty heid seen to.

Great we actually had a choice of 4 players.

I think most people are concerned because he hardly plays for us. 

11 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

I think most people are concerned because he hardly plays for us. 

I guess that DS doesn't see any reason for him not to play, or maybe thinks now his 'injuries' will clear up now he's captain.

Nobody on here is in a position to question his decisions, until he fails us we should be backing him and every decision 100%.

Edited by Armageddon

1 hour ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

See now to me Berra has been hung out to dry. 

Berra hasnt been good enough for Hearts this season and needed to go, but for the reason to be that he doesn't fit into Stendels fast paced game, and strip him of captaincy because he won't be playing now looks like a farce.

Lets give it to one of the most injury prone players to ever play for us, who has missed about half his Hearts career so far through injury.

Good to see that every thread on jkb has at least one person working hard to come up with ways to slag off someone at the club! This time it's Stendel in the firing line for taking the captaincy away from someone he has no intention of picking ever again and giving it to someone that is pretty much guaranteed to be in the starting line-up every time he's available!

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

What a hero. 

Exactly

Naismith and Whelan seem to be calling the shots when they turned up for training. 

None of that nonsense now with the new boss. 

The fitter they are the less chance of injuries imo. 

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

31 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

This getting into refs faces, other teams always have a player thats does it, scott brown, imrie, even liam craig. 

At least with the armband he is the one that is meant to approach the ref!!!

They'll need fookin earplugs!!

Just my opinion but I think refs show him a bit respect because of he's "ex-old firm" and a Scotland player (now 50 caps) and Naismith plays on it a bit.

Might be completely wrong but there it is.

Jambof3tornado
Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Just my opinion but I think refs show him a bit respect because of he's "ex-old firm" and a Scotland player (now 50 caps) and Naismith plays on it a bit.

Might be completely wrong but there it is.

Maybe something in that, only way to find out is by asking an honest referee the question!!

As leaders go Naisy is the obvious choice, the most experienced, the highest standards, the most vocal, the most communicative.  He was doing all that even without the arm band. His injury record is my only concern. 

As players go Smith was the obvious choice as he is in the team most of the time, mind you even he had some time away with injuries. 

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

What a hero. 

Exactly

Naismith and Whelan seem to be calling the shots when they turned up for training. 

None of that nonsense now with the new boss. 

The fitter they are the less chance of injuries imo. 

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick............does the club captain get more dosh? (not that SN needs it like)

I think he gets a slightly larger locker.

7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I guess that DS doesn't see any reason for him not to play, or maybe thinks now his 'injuries' will clear up now he's captain.

Nobody on here is in a position to question his decisions, until he fails us we should be backing him and every decision 100%.

I will still back him but we can discuss his decisions on here. 

Naismith has played about 6 hours of league football for us this season and he's managed about 2 and a half hours of football for Scotland.  

I question his commitment to Hearts and I would rather have had someone else chosen as captain.  

Anyway I hope Stendel has made the right call and Naismith is now over his 'Hearts injuries' and he suddenly becomes as commited to us as he has been Scotland. 

The Old Tolbooth

Terrific choice of captain, Naisy is the one man (apart from Smith) who barks at players for 90 minutes, we now have a leader on the pitch, and a leader off it, things are coming together now, the jigsaw needs a few more pieces, but we're getting there. 

Anyone thinking we'll go down needs their head looked imo, this new management and captain structure won't allow it! 

9 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Good to see that every thread on jkb has at least one person working hard to come up with ways to slag off someone at the club! This time it's Stendel in the firing line for taking the captaincy away from someone he has no intention of picking ever again and giving it to someone that is pretty much guaranteed to be in the starting line-up every time he's available!

Not once have I ever had a go at Stendel. Wow some people on here could start an argument in an empty room.

I stated that he has stripped the captaincy from someone and been quoted as saying its because he wont get as much game time. 

Then picked Naismith.

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

To be fair, I am one of those that share the Scotland view hahaha. Hopefully tho, Stendel will get him motivated and fit so that we both benefit from him. 

Haha fair enough. I could understand if he just didn’t want to play under the old regime though. Even our players who played every week basically weren’t there! 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I am pleased to hear Naismith will be captain. I don't think the extra authority on the pitch will affect his game, unlike Berra who seemed to suffer a serious dip in his own game when he captained us. In fact I think Naismith's own game will go up a notch as he will relish setting the example to the rest of the players. 

He just has to stay injury free and fingers firmly crossed that will happen for the rest of the season.

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Naismith a natural leader but we need him to have run of staying fit

Yup, fingers crossed he gets that run.

7 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Not once have I ever had a go at Stendel. Wow some people on here could start an argument in an empty room.

I stated that he has stripped the captaincy from someone and been quoted as saying its because he wont get as much game time. 

Then picked Naismith.

You accused him of hanging Berra out to dry by taking the captaincy off him. How's that not having a go?

Also, when you've decided the captain isn't going to be in your plans, to the extent he's been told he can leave and the club are actively trying to find other clubs to take him, what else would you do but take the captaincy off him?

And what difference does it make to him whether the next captain has injury problems or not?

9 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Haha fair enough. I could understand if he just didn’t want to play under the old regime though. Even our players who played every week basically weren’t there! 

Yeah that’s what I hope the problem was. An old head who was given special treatment and as a result lost a bit of focus and subsequently his fitness. He seems to be loving the intensity in the videos I’ve seen and a fully fit and at it naismith is a huge bonus to Hearts.  

2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

You accused him of hanging Berra out to dry by taking the captaincy off him. How's that not having a go?

Also, when you've decided the captain isn't going to be in your plans, to the extent he's been told he can leave and the club are actively trying to find other clubs to take him, what else would you do but take the captaincy off him?

And what difference does it make to him whether the next captain has injury problems or not?

Stendel said he spoke to Ann about it all first. He also would have spoken to other members of his coaching team. But keep up with the assumptions of me having a go at Stendel.

He stripped the captaincy from someone because he wont play. Then gave the captaincy to someone who won't play.

I honestly didn't think it would be this hard to understand.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Your positivity shines through like a beacon for the world to see...on every thread.

Needs launched.

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Yeah that’s what I hope the problem was. An old head who was given special treatment and as a result lost a bit of focus and subsequently his fitness. He seems to be loving the intensity in the videos I’ve seen and a fully fit and at it naismith is a huge bonus to Hearts.  

Yeah exactly. It’s easy to get too comfy in a job. He’s had a long career and maybe he didn’t realise until Stendel came in that he wasn’t the same as he was before. 

This kind of Play/training fits Naismith perfectly.  We could see a new player this spring. 

Goodness me a positive appointment of a international, goal scoring, natural born leader and some w@nks find it something to complain about. 😂

2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

So Smith will mainly be captain and Naismith will take the armband on the odd occasion hes fit.

Optimism pills failing you again?

Stendel obviously sees something. Naismith wants to win and won't accept substandard performances. If he's fit then no brainer. If we can keep him on the pitch again no brainer. 

But doesn't matter who wears the armband we need leaders on the park who will talk. Encourage, chew people out and talk. The more characters we have like that the better for the club. Naismith, Souttar, Smith and halkett we need them all on the park playing and Talkin to dig us out

Hackney Hearts
30 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Then picked Naismith.

Naismith will get more game time than Berra. He probably just has to play one minute against Airdrie to achieve that.

Currently you don't know how much game time Naismith will get for the rest of the season. Or Smith. Or Halkett. Or Souttar - who was on the short list for captain despite having played even less than Naismith this season.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Your positivity shines through like a beacon for the world to see...on every thread.

that’s ainsley harriott for you 😀

itsnomarooned

It might have been an idea to keep Berra as club captain but name Naismith (as it turns out) as team captain. Berra's role would be a bit of a sinecure but it could have been an exercise in retaining morale and face saving.

3 minutes ago, itsnomarooned said:

It might have been an idea to keep Berra as club captain but name Naismith (as it turns out) as team captain. Berra's role would be a bit of a sinecure but it could have been an exercise in retaining morale and face saving.

Berra is out by end of month 

There might be some psychology involved whereby Stendel gave Naismith the armband in part to motivate him to be even more fit for the games ahead and to pay more attention to keeping himself from being injured. I'm not saying he wasn't motivated before, of course.

In saying that, the fact that Naismith is a born motivator and leader on the park might have had something to do with it. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm not quite sure about that, but I think that Daniel may well consider Berra as a first team fringe player now, as someone who needs to play themselves back into the team, to prove themselves capable of fitting into the team he wants to put on the park. The fact that he is now a fringe player, if Berra decides to accept that role and not cut his losses and head for pastures new, precluded him from being the captain. All in my opinion, of course.

9 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

where has that been announced?

On the Hearts website - see the link a few posts above yours.

itsnomarooned
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Even if this is the case that wouldn't be a reason to keep him on as nominal club captain.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

There might be some psychology involved whereby Stendel gave Naismith the armband in part to motivate him to be even more fit for the games ahead and to pay more attention to keeping himself from being injured. I'm not saying he wasn't motivated before, of course.

In saying that, the fact that Naismith is a born motivator and leader on the park might have had something to do with it. ;) 

On top of that, it would hardly seem likely that Stendel would appoint him captain if he didn't think Naismith is good for the majority of games from now till the end of the season. I also have the impression that Naismith, himself, is the type of character who wouldn't want the role if he, himself, didn't think he'd be fit enough to play enough games to make being captain meaningful.

All that said with a great deal of wishful thinking, of course. 

I thought this part of his comments on the HMFC website were interesting.

with a dressing room full of motivated players

Does that suggest that perhaps they were not all that prior to DS arriving?

Edited by wavydavy

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Exactly. No one has been hung out to try or treated with disrespect. They've been hindering the clubs progress and they risk our chance of surviving.

We're in a relegation battle, 5 points adrift and Stendel will do whatever it takes for the club to survive. Berra in our starting 11 would seriously risk that. See if some of our fans don't like it and wont support him or try and find flaws, they can join Whelan etc and do one. Come back next season, you aren't needed right now.

We as supporters have an important job over the next few months and it's not to find issues with the managers plans, It's to support his choices and back the team, whoever the 11 are on the pitch. There's no time for sentiment, booing subs or having a go at players for making a mistake. it's time for positive action from the stands, to reflect the positivity Stendel is trying to implement in the players.

23 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Naismith will get more game time than Berra. He probably just has to play one minute against Airdrie to achieve that.

Currently you don't know how much game time Naismith will get for the rest of the season. Or Smith. Or Halkett. Or Souttar - who was on the short list for captain despite having played even less than Naismith this season.

Naismith is obviously the ideal candidate, providing he can stay fit.

Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

Exactly. No one has been hung out to try or treated with disrespect. They've been hindering the clubs progress and they risk our chance of surviving.

We're in a relegation battle, 5 points adrift and Stendel will do whatever it takes for the club to survive. Berra in our starting 11 would seriously risk that. See if some of our fans don't like it and wont support him or try and find flaws, they can join Whelan etc and do one. Come back next season, you aren't needed right now.

We as supporters have an important job over the next few months and it's not to find issues with the managers plans, It's to support his choices and back the team, whoever the 11 are on the pitch. There's no time for sentiment, booing subs or having a go at players for making a mistake. it's time for positive action from the stands, to reflect the positivity Stendel is trying to implement in the players.

Indeed. But what if Stendel had told Naismith, Souttar and Smith to find other clubs. Would you have thought the same?

There are always fans who see the negative side. It's never going to change. Just ignore it. And remember that in some cases they just might end up being right. ;)

And I say that as someone who is 100% behind Stendel.

Hackney Hearts
Just now, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Naismith is obviously the ideal candidate, providing he can stay fit.

Here's hoping 👍

Just now, Hackney Hearts said:

Here's hoping 👍

Yep. We are a different proposition when he is fit and calling the shots on the park. He gets an extra 10% out of everyone around him aswell.

Smith for me. Halkett is too young yet, Souttar after all his injury problems needs to just concentrate on his game and let others do the shouting, not that he's much of a shouter anyway, Naismith whinges and moans at refs constantly, no ref will respect his points of view where as Smith seems the type the ref would be willing to listen to. 

Edited by jambonian