Naismith - New Captain (confirmed)

adam1998

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Naisy Should be captain. Most influential player in the squad by miles. 

Then Smithy. 

Souttar 3rd captain. 

You get the same leadership from Smith and Naismith whether they play with the armband or not, Souttar and Halkett you get a bit more out of them with the armband so i'd have gone with either of those two.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Pans Jambo

• Don Dan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy with that. A well respected player in Scotland. I think even refs at least listen to him. Mind you, they dont have much choice in the matter given hes in their faces from the kick-off most games. 

Just now, Ribble said:

You get the same leadership from Smith and Naismith whether they play with the armband or not, Souttar and Halkett you get a bit more out of them with the armband so i'd have gone with either of those two.

Nah. Naisys the leader. You need a leader. If Halkett or Soapy were captain, Naisys natural leadership abilities would undermine them. 

1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

So Smith will mainly be captain and Naismith will take the armband on the odd occasion hes fit.

Your positivity shines through like a beacon for the world to see...on every thread.

1 hour ago, PaulHartley10 said:

The players can't be looking to the stand for their captain. You can guarantee Naismith will be injured again before the end of the season.

Michael Smith for me. He's the one as a fan that I've been looking to in these dark times and he's delivered.

Deserves it.

I’m not trying to be funny but how can you

guarantee a player will be injured? If it was that easy could we not apply the same to Scott Brown...Naismith was very vocal as always as seems the natural captain plus he has a 4 year deal so is going nowhere, especially with his injury history 

I don’t think Halkett or Souttar were ever truly going to get it. 

I think Halkett got it the other week as a lift to increase confidence, which looked to work. Souttar hasn’t played or been seen by Stendel really in a game situation. 

Naismith & Smith the correct choice for me.

Ainsley Harriott
4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Your positivity shines through like a beacon for the world to see...on every thread.

Just a realist Pans. I keep my expectations low in hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Stendels no mug. Everything has has done, changed, suggested and worked on up to now has been impressive.

There is absolutely no doubt he wouldn’t have given Naisy the armband if there was a better option. He has watched, listened and coached these guys relentlessly recently. He sees what we don’t see and what he sees is Naisy as captain.

I guarantee the players including others in the running for the armband will support this decision.

The mentality of this group of players is night and day different to the one Stendel took over a few short weeks ago.

Edited by Vlad Magic

See now to me Berra has been hung out to dry. 

Berra hasnt been good enough for Hearts this season and needed to go, but for the reason to be that he doesn't fit into Stendels fast paced game, and strip him of captaincy because he won't be playing now looks like a farce.

Lets give it to one of the most injury prone players to ever play for us, who has missed about half his Hearts career so far through injury.

highlandjambo3

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick............does the club captain get more dosh? (not that SN needs it like).

I mean their workload increases with off the field commitments so, would I be right in saying that the club captain would be in the stadium/networking around Edinburgh with the manager......signing sessions, tv interviews and the likes.......I know that all the players get involved in stuff to a certain degree but, the captain would do the bulk of this yes.  So, when players are finished for the day and off home, it would be fair to suggest the captain may have to stay on the odd few hours per week.  Or just told to get on with it as it’s a privilege to captain our great club. 

highlandjambo3
13 minutes ago, karipidis said:

IF Naismith somehow stays fit and is captaining us, we will not be relegated. 

Yes.....good point.  Not on my watch kind of attitude.

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick............does the club captain get more dosh? (not that SN needs it like).

I mean their workload increases with off the field commitments so, would I be right in saying that the club captain would be in the stadium/networking around Edinburgh with the manager......signing sessions, tv interviews and the likes.......I know that all the players get involved in stuff to a certain degree but, the captain would do the bulk of this yes.  So, when players are finished for the day and off home, it would be fair to suggest the captain may have to stay on the odd few hours per week.  Or just told to get on with it as it’s a privilege to captain our great club. 

I wouldn’t think they’d get more money. But they’d be first pick every week so guaranteed game time (if no injury)

4 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

In different circumstances Naismith but given his injury history I think Smith is the obvious choice

My view also

7 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Berra hasnt been good enough for Hearts this season and needed to go, but for the reason to be that he doesn't fit into Stendels fast paced game, and strip him of captaincy because he won't be playing now looks like a farce.

Lets give it to one of the most injury prone players to ever play for us, who has missed about half his Hearts career so far through injury.

As I have said before - Berra was never a good captain

highlandjambo3

Good to see DS has taken a bit of time to consider this.  Would also have been good to speak to any potential captain before and after he made his choice, let’s them know they were considered and not just overlooked.

p.s.  One sleep to go

Edited by highlandjambo3

The range of injuries Naismith has had this season are not unusual following a serious knee problem.

It is possible he is fully fit now and will have a good run injury free. 

Not sure the Captain should be a guy who only turns up to training a couple days a week. Doesn’t set the greatest example to the young players. 

7 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

That may well be the case. But why give it to someone who plays half the games in a season? 

1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

Not sure the Captain should be a guy who only turns up to training a couple days a week. Doesn’t set the greatest example to the young players. 

Believe he is in everyday now 

Edited by HMFC86

Seems like a good choice, I would have gone for Smith but if Naismith is turning up, working hard and fitting into Stendels system then we wont go down*

*if he stays fit more than 2 games in a row 😁

3 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Not sure where I read/heard it but I believe Stendel got rid of any part time training set ups when he came in. You are either part of the squad or you are not, no inbetweeners. 

Makes sense. Good appointment and also ends any silly notion that Naismith isn’t on board. Fully fit and at it, Naismith is one of the best players in the league. 

Just now, busby1985 said:

Makes sense. Good appointment and also ends any silly notion that Naismith isn’t on board. Fully fit and at it, Naismith is one of the best players in the league. 

Surely not?! The kickback geniuses claim he’s only here to play for Scotland?! 🤓

1 minute ago, Dayman said:

Surely not?! The kickback geniuses claim he’s only here to play for Scotland?! 🤓

To be fair, I am one of those that share the Scotland view hahaha. Hopefully tho, Stendel will get him motivated and fit so that we both benefit from him. 

Shanks said no
20 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

You’ll be glad a Scotsman got the armband though? 

4 hours ago, Crete said:

Hickey should be captain of Hearts.

That’s just ridiculous.

It should be Naismith as club captain and Smith as his stand-in.

22 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Going by your previous posts, at least you’d have been happy he wasn’t from Northern Ireland?  :facepalm:

Surely?

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Going by your previous posts, at least you’d have been happy he wasn’t from Northern Ireland?  :facepalm:

Surely?

nothing to do with it mate

10 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

The biggest positive for me with this choice is that it indicates the relationship between Stendel and Naismith is going well.

Kirk said ages ago that Naismith is a big part of Stendels plans. Just reinforces that imo

17 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

The biggest positive for me with this choice is that it indicates the relationship between Stendel and Naismith is going well.

Good post, totally

Brauhauser2012

The player who is captain has to be able to tell the other players what to do. Smith just gets on with the job. He's not a leader in my opinion, just a really good and experienced player. Naismith is always picking people up if he feels they are not doing something. That's what the captain needs to do. In the longer term though we need someone younger to fill this role.

Jambof3tornado
59 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Happy with that. A well respected player in Scotland. I think even refs at least listen to him. Mind you, they dont have much choice in the matter given hes in their faces from the kick-off most games. 

This getting into refs faces, other teams always have a player thats does it, scott brown, imrie, even liam craig. 

At least with the armband he is the one that is meant to approach the ref!!!

They'll need fookin earplugs!!

itsnomarooned

I suppose I could Google this but can't be arsed. Is there a specific law of the game that you have to have a captain? I know it's a cliché but you're really after 11 captains on the field etc. What actually is the defined role of a captain?

Yet another thing for folk to greet their faces off at.

I personally would have gone for Smith, but anyone who thinks a Scotland International, who has been Captain very recently, isn't good enough to Captain Hearts needs their empty heid seen to.

Great we actually had a choice of 4 players.

51 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Keep trying

3 minutes ago, itsnomarooned said:

I suppose I could Google this but can't be arsed. Is there a specific law of the game that you have to have a captain? I know it's a cliché but you're really after 11 captains on the field etc. What actually is the defined role of a captain?

He call heads/tails before kick off.