Naismith - New Captain (confirmed)

adam1998

New Captain to be selected today, for me it has to be Smith if he wants it. Least injury prone of the 4 and have Halkett as vice captain (Or vice versa)

Souttar and Naismith will regularly pick up niggles in my opinion

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/four-hearts-players-frame-be-new-captain-decision-due-today-1367671

Four Hearts players in frame to be new captain with decision due today
Manager ready to pick a successor to Christophe Berra

Craig Halkett, John Souttar, Michael Smith and Steven Naismith are the four Hearts players in contention to replace Christophe Berra as club captain.

“For leadership and mentality, I think we have some. Craig Halkett was captain in the last game. John Souttar is coming back. Michael Smith. Steven Naismith. These are all types who can lead our team.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Pans Jambo

• Don Dan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smith or Souttar for me.

Naismith is a natural leader on the park regardless of having the armband or not but I have my doubts as to whether he is 100% committed to Hearts or to his Scotland aspirations.  For me, the captain not only has to inspire others but they need to respect him.  He needs to be Mr Hearts and to be able to translate Stendels tactics onto the pitch.

Id go with Smith as captain and Souttar as vice.

9 minutes ago, adam1998 said:

New Captain to be selected today, for me it has to be Smith if he wants it. Least injury prone of the 4 and have Halkett as vice captain (Or vice versa)

Souttar and Naismith will regularly pick up niggles in my opinion

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/four-hearts-players-frame-be-new-captain-decision-due-today-1367671

Four Hearts players in frame to be new captain with decision due today
Manager ready to pick a successor to Christophe Berra

Craig Halkett, John Souttar, Michael Smith and Steven Naismith are the four Hearts players in contention to replace Christophe Berra as club captain.

“For leadership and mentality, I think we have some. Craig Halkett was captain in the last game. John Souttar is coming back. Michael Smith. Steven Naismith. These are all types who can lead our team.

Doubt it will be Souttar

Got to be Smith.

He has been the only senior player that can completely hold his head high and isnt injured all the time.

Although I wouldn't be unhappy at Halkett, provided he finds his form again, or Naismith, providing he stops being injured every 2 mins.

Souttar would also be good but not sure he should be given that right now given his injury situation.

Left field choices:

Washington - who has talked about his love for the club already and Stendel mentions a lot when talking about important players. Experienced too.

Clare - completely different player to the start of the year, which hasn't gone unnoticed by Stendel and the fans. Might help him take more responsibility on the pitch.

McLean - Stendel rates him. Please god no.

Smith for me.

Gives 100% each game, rarely injured and also rarely scores below a 7 - even when we are shite.

Edited by Lovecraft

4 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Naismith will be named club captain.

He referenced player injuries in the interview.  Won’t be Naismith imo.

Just now, Crete said:

Hickey should be captain of Hearts.

No he shouldn’t. He’s 17, he should be left to concentrate on his own game. 

Has to be Smith, in a season of poor performances, rubbish results and rubbish players, he has been the one positive,gave everything in every game. He is a shining example to every other player in the team.

Naismith we cant depend on to be fit plus will still moan his way through games, Souttar is a future captain but not certain to be fit just yet,  halkett just needs to adapt to the level we are expecting and settle down 

Has to be Michael Smith. Wouldn’t mind Souttar either. Naisy doesn’t need the armband to be a leader on the park as he has shown on numerous occasions. Would be most ‘disappointed’ with Halkett as I don’t believe he is a guaranteed starter as Souttar is far superior and we are looking to bring in a left sided centre back (supposedly). 

I’d go with Halkett. Naismith and Smith are leaders without the armband and I think it could help Halkett develop. Wasn’t he captain at Livi? He may be one of these players that thrives on it. 

Your captain needs to be almost ever present and someone who performs consistently. 

That only leaves Smith. Obvious choice. 

We don't want another situation where our captain is the worst performing player at the club. 

Smith for me too. I know it’s fairly trivial, but the way he brought the players together to celebrate Meshino’s goal against Aberdeen and his reaction to the fans at full time shows his feelings for the squad and club. He’s the man for the job. 

I would personally choose Smith based on ‘on the field captain’, but I’m not so sure how much he’d enjoy the other side of being a club captain. Media, organising etc. Could be completely wrong mind you. 

Edited by karipidis

Craig Levein  :(

Halkett for me - Captained Livi well

Smith may have burnt a few bridges with outbursts in social media

Is there actually a difference between a "Club" Captain and a "Team" captain?

Seem to recall a Man U documentary some years ago when Beckham was club captain and I think Roy Keane was team captain.

Maybe we should have this approach. Smith for team and Naismith for club.

Smith does the leadership on the field and Naismith does the club representation when needed in front of the cameras and at charity events etc.

How do they choose? 

Does the squad vote on it or is it just DS's choice?

You would like to think the squad would have an input as to who they respect and would like to be barking orders at them during a game.

Edited by Pans Jambo

Naismith all day long, most experienced, most vocal in the team, also the best player in the team. 

RustyRightPeg

Reckon it’ll be Halkett. If he was given it against Aberdeen when Smith was playing thats telling enough for me 

Smith for me. 

as others have said Naismith is a natural leader and not scared to call out even senior players when the mess up. Remember him having a serious go at Berra in a game and Berra walked away rather sheepishly. 

Smith or Halkett for me.

Or Souttar if injury free and signs an extension.

Naismith but for injuries.

That just about covers it.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Souttar.

I'd be inclined to leave Souttar out of the equation, he's just back from a long lay off and should be left to focus on his form without distraction.

I would say Smith is the obvious choice.

Bazzas right boot

Halkett or Souttar for me. 

Naismith and smith will lead anyway. These guys are an obvious choice tho. 

I wouldn't put it past Washington being vc If he stays fit, although I reckon Smith will take that atm. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

The fact he had Smith and Halkett in the team v Aberdeen and chose Halkett as captain is a pretty obvious indicator. 

Think he feels Halkett will grow as a player, perform better with the armband and Smith is a leader anyway without it.

Auldreekie1874

Think it will be Naismith.

Halkett was picked ahead of Smith v Aberdeen and Naismith was picked  ahead of Halkett v Hamilton