Toronto Blizzard

jamborich

Hackney Hearts
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Wonder why they missed a name out of the top row.

I think that's coach Keith Eddy on the far right of top row.

6 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

I think that's coach Keith Eddy on the far right of top row.

Christ! Never even noticed the different top, or the trackie bottoms. :facepalm: 

Doctor FinnBarr
5 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Willie McVie was a brutal defender  - complete thug.

He was our thug though, for a wee bit

Perth to Paisley

Made McLaren look like an angel 

10 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

He was our thug though, for a wee bit

He made McLaren look like an angel

9 hours ago, jamborich said:

Didn't realise 4 ex players played at the same time

FB_IMG_1579209182408.jpg

Pedant alert

its actually 2 ex players and 2 future players. Sorry for being so pedantic ☹️

54 minutes ago, grumpy rebus said:

Pedant alert

its actually 2 ex players and 2 future players. Sorry for being so pedantic ☹️

But you agree it's 4 ex players 

34 minutes ago, jamborich said:

But you agree it's 4 ex players 

Yes, they are all now ex players. At the time of the photo........... ignore me, I’m always pedantic in the mornings (or simply a grumpy old man that would argue with his reflection in the mirror) 😂😂😂

Looks like a plastic pitch. Predates the QPR surface of the mid 80's and probably a nightmare to play on. 

Iirc, both Drew and "Rob" left us in 1979 and both returned to Scotland quite quickly. Certainly remember Drew playing against us for Morton around 1980/81.

18 hours ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Willie McVie was a brutal defender  - complete thug.

I think he scored an absolute screamer for us but can’t remember who it was against. I do remember screaming, “Don’t shoot” and then watched as it almost burst the net. 

8 hours ago, martoon said:

Looks like a plastic pitch. Predates the QPR surface of the mid 80's and probably a nightmare to play on. 

Iirc, both Drew and "Rob" left us in 1979 and both returned to Scotland quite quickly. Certainly remember Drew playing against us for Morton around 1980/81.

Had a wee look at his stats and Rab stayed in the US until 1984. Scored heavily in the Indoor League they had back then. 

12 hours ago, martoon said:

Drew told me it was like playing on concrete! 😳

5 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

I think he scored an absolute screamer for us but can’t remember who it was against. I do remember screaming, “Don’t shoot” and then watched as it almost burst the net. 

are you no thinking of Willie Jamiesons last minute equaliser v Celtic ?

10 hours ago, japanjambo said:

Drew told me it was like playing on concrete! 😳

Must have been quite farcical, really. Vividly remember watching highlights of QPR games in the '80's and it barely resembled football.

Only school kids can play on concrete and make it work. :)

10 hours ago, cookieboy said:

His first touch was brutal.......the second touch is the best clearance he ever made.

I liked big Jamieson though despite his limited abilities,  he really tried his best but was never our level. 

Sorry for the deviation from Toronto Blizzards but that quartet was just before my time. Met Jimmy Bone a few times and he's nothing but pleasant, a good guy.

cardboardcutout
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 21:30, BEDNAR BOY said:

Had the pleasure of an evening in the company of Busby and the Bone man, can confirm they had a mental time at Toronto.

Spoke to a guy who was an agent for the players at that time and he confirmed the guys had a very sociable time there especially with the female fans!

17 hours ago, cookieboy said:

are you no thinking of Willie Jamiesons last minute equaliser v Celtic ?

Correct! Age catching up with me. 

Edited by Rab Mac52

I used to go to those matches, that was the beginning of my love of football, that was the first I heard of this team called Hearts where a couple of the players were from, the pitch was brutal at CNE Stadium but most of the NASL teams played on plastic so as a fan we were used to it! The league had some strange rules in the early days, a weird interpretation of the offside rule and penalties were a breakaway on the keeper, or defender if the team chose! The Blizzard moved to Varsity Stadium which had a grass pitch and was more football friendly, the league scrapped a couple of the bizarre rules, Blizzard were a strong franchise but unfortunately the league folded! Toronto FC started several years later, probably around 25, in MLS which is a different league, so far no ex Hearts players have worn the jersey, the team averages almost 30K per match!