Robbie Neilson on Sportsound.

Greedy Jambo

Just a couple of wee snippets i picked up. 

" The MLS is a higher standard than the Scottish top flight in my opinion"

"Lawrence won't be going anywhere unless it's crazy money"

I must admit, i found the MLS quote quite offensive 😂

Edited by Space Pirate

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• SpruceBringsteen

• geomac

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Just a couple of wee snippets i picked up. 

" The MLS is a higher standard than the Scottish top flight in my opinion"

"Lawrence won't be going anywhere unless it's crazy money"

I must admit, i found the MLS quote quite offensive 😂

Hard to compare. Quite a technical way they play. Seems to go very slowly then it picks up pace in short bursts. 

I saw Kaka and the guy Kamara who I think plays for Norway,  they stood out like sore thumbs. 

Some very high quality mixed with dross

4 minutes ago, 12XU said:

MLS - he has no idea - I attended a match a few years ago - dreadful stuff 

I've attended several Scottish top division matches last year and lots of them were dreadful. 

So based on that they must be about the same standard. 

:surprised: 

SpruceBringsteen

I'm sorry likes, but the MLS is not of a higher standard than the Scottish Premier. It's no even an argument. 10 absolute doughnuts and a superstar in each team. Perry Kitchen gets a game ffs. :lol:

Edit: A team wants/wanted to buy Jake Mulraney. For money. :lol:

Edited by SpruceBringsteen

RustyRightPeg

MLS is better than it gets credit for, particularly over the last few years. I'd tend to agree with Robbie on this one. 

1 minute ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I'm sorry likes, but the MLS is not of a higher standard than the Scottish Premier. It's no even an argument. 10 absolute doughnuts and a superstar in each team. Perry Kitchen gets a game ffs. :lol:

I know what you mean however from an outsiders perspective the Scottish prem is 11 doughnuts and no superstars in each team so I think MLS edges it

kingantti1874

Think some views on Scottish football are over inflated.. I don’t think there’s many MLS players who wouldn’t find a game in the SPL

Lord Beni of Gorgie

There are a lot of South American and Central American countries represented. 

Making it a completely different thing to our League. 

Facilities are definitely better though Yankee Stadium looks horrible for football 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, busby1985 said:

The MLS will be the biggest football league in the world in 20 years. Everything points to that being the case. 

Your going to have to expand on that.

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The MLS will be the biggest football league in the world in 20 years. Everything points to that being the case. 

Someone probably posted the exact same thing word for word in 2000.

SpruceBringsteen
1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

I know what you mean however from an outsiders perspective the Scottish prem is 11 doughnuts and no superstars in each team so I think MLS edges it

I'm no trying to come across as an arse, because I'll merrily point out that everywhere else other than the pitch the SAWKER experience over here utterly pisses on Scotland. But I've got a second tier and fourth tier team on my doorstep. Hartford Athletic's star player is Alex Davey, a lad that was kicking about on Dagenham's bench. Hartford City have a couple of guys that could *maybe* get a game for Spartans or CS Strollers. The top league is just not of a better standard. Every team in the Premier other than St Mirren and Hamilton would have an extremely good chance of winning it. I'm sure boys sitting on their farter and watching 30 mins of highlights in a Portobello boozer will ken better than me, mind. :zip:

They have the cash to sign the likes of Ibrahimovic and Rooney but at the same time, they sign Driver and Nicholson. 

I don't know what to make of it. 

24 minutes ago, 12XU said:

You haven’t been to Tynecastle lately!

::troll::

The standards are pretty much the same just now, but in 2/3 years the mls will be miles ahead of the scottish league and many others in Europe! Some people can’t see past the scottish premiership but give me a DC United v Atlanta game over pretty much any game excluding Hearts and even then based on the last 18 months It’s 50/50 

2 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I'm no trying to come across as an arse, because I'll merrily point out that everywhere else other than the pitch the SAWKER experience over here utterly pisses on Scotland. But I've got a second tier and fourth tier team on my doorstep. Hartford Athletic's star player is Alex Davey, a lad that was kicking about on Dagenham's bench. Hartford City have a couple of guys that could *maybe* get a game for Spartans or CS Strollers. The top league is just not of a better standard. Every team in the Premier other than St Mirren and Hamilton would have an extremely good chance of winning it. I'm sure boys sitting on their farter and watching 30 mins of highlights in a Portobello boozer will ken better than me, mind. :zip:

Not drank in 7 months so no interest in boozers these days

I’ve no doubt that the standard in the second and fourth tier in the states will be a major drop off in quality, however having watched a lot of Scottish football in my time I can be pretty certain that the standard of the league is abysmal, I know teams in the MLS will have equally or perhaps more shite players than we do, but surely you’re not suggesting that the star players in that league don’t tip the standard in their favour? A league full of St Mirrens or Motherwells with a top player or two sprinkled in would be a higher standard than what we have currently out with the old firm imo 

Here's a good point, How many Americans have came to Scotland and been a success?

How many American have gone to England and been a Success?

I'm of the opinion that Robbie is talking shite. 

AlphonseCapone
20 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Think some views on Scottish football are over inflated.. I don’t think there’s many MLS players who wouldn’t find a game in the SPL

I think it's the opposite, too many folk happy to shit on our league. 

17 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Based on what? 

Europe does and always will dominate football. 

23 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

This reminds me of pele saying an African team would win the world cup before the year 2000 all them years ago.

Just now, Mr 3 Putt said:

It is of a higher standard. Doesn't have the history or tradition like we do in Scotland but it is certainly of better quality.

It's just a bit tinpot and feels like nobody really cares about it, the games I've watched have been boring and half of them played on artificial surfaces with baseball markings all over them.

Pish

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Don't agree with him. Probably still trying to justify the Kitchen signing. Cagey and downbeat assessment from a cagey and downbeat coach. 

Holyrood_Hearts
36 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Absolutely no chance. 

6 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

This reminds me of pele saying an African team would win the world cup before the year 2000 all them years ago.

You could argue African players had a big say in 1998.Image result for france 1998 world cup squad

The games I saw were dire. The players in general may have been technically better, but they all looked like over-coached robots. They didn’t seem to have any ability to play off the cuff making the game a bit like watching chess. But, they know how to present it well. 

25 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Here's a good point, How many Americans have came to Scotland and been a success?

How many American have gone to England and been a Success?

I'm of the opinion that Robbie is talking shite. 

Tim Howard had a no bad career

5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Aye, there's a few, but not many. 

there have been 45 americans to play at least a game in the EPL. from the list it looks like most of the successful ones were keepers. as mentioned howard, then friedel, keller, guzan

Only leagues I really watch are MLS/SPL. I'd say they're equal in terms of level outwith Celtic/Rangers. 

10 years ago I'd argue SPL was miles ahead of MLS but they have been improving a lot in terms of coaching and players in the league.  The increased salary rules last time around in their CBA helped push the league forward, and they're currently negotiating again. Would imagine that will push the league higher again.

Edited by FireHearts98

44 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Your going to have to expand on that.

Let me see if I can find the link. Some guy last year done a piece about the popularity of “soccer” in America, sure it was in the Guardian. It was basically saying based on commerciality potential, population, facilities etc etc that if it continued on its current path it would soon be the biggest league in the world. By biggest he obviously meant money and TV audience etc etc. 

1 hour ago, 12XU said:

You can't really judge a league on one game.  Some games are good, some are awful, just like the Scottish Premier.

imho, the better teams in MLS would do OK in Scotland.

16 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

there have been 45 americans to play at least a game in the EPL. from the list it looks like most of the successful ones were keepers. as mentioned howard, then friedel, keller, guzan

Sorry, not sure what your point is? 

That's not many over the years.

If it's just a statistical reference then cheers. 

The MLS has a shit load of money and still it get's compared to the SPFL. 

So for that reason, i'm out. 

Edited by Space Pirate

16 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Let me see if I can find the link. Some guy last year done a piece about the popularity of “soccer” in America, sure it was in the Guardian. It was basically saying based on commerciality potential, population, facilities etc etc that if it continued on its current path it would soon be the biggest league in the world. By biggest he obviously meant money and TV audience etc etc. 

tend to agree here. Seen a few MLS games, they have been ok but many of the players were just so tactically unaware.  I’ve seen a few school level games (through visiting family there) and 14/15 yr olds were pretty poor in general, positional and tactically all over the shop. Not saying in Scotland it’s much better, but at least in general a central defender knows their basic role at that level.

however, I do believe they will improve at all levels quicker than Scotland will. They will continue to attract good coaches and players (atlanta have one of the de boer’s as head coach) and the Americans will learn from them.  The professional system in Scotland is set up to favour 2 teams and they won’t let that change in a hurry.  As you say the US have the population and commercial opertunties to continue growth and it’s getting more and more popular

i still don’t think they will get near the World Cup in my lifetime and I wouldn’t be surprised if Scotland don’t qualify for a very long time

Edited by DarthVodka

1 hour ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

As someone who’s in the last year or so played with and against people at both those levels, I can tell you that you’re half wrong, and half right. Its hard to define levels in the American system, so you may just have bad teams near you. I’ve played with a team in the 4th tier who would be east of Scotland level at best, but played against teams that were brilliant. 

There is some absolute dross at each level, but without really having a proper league system with promotion/relegation it’s hard to judge the level of each tier.  The npsl is going downhill, and will be replaced by the NISA soon. The 2nd/3rd tier players in America are more like Scottish championship/top league 1 players. 4th tier, be it NISA or NPSL, would walk into the lowland league. The likes of Miami fc or stumptown athletic would compete with the bottom pro teams in Scotland. 

Edited by Dayman

I was more taken aback by Jim Spence revealing that CL said the dundee derby ,outside of the celtic rangers derby ,was the biggest in terms of supporters attending in relation to the city’s population . 
I’ll stick my neck out and be prepared to be proven wrong but I think that’s bollocks 

Been to many MLS games, but last one about five years ago. In general, thought it was a bit behind the SPFL. Unsure if standard has fallen since then, but it certainly has in Scotland where the standard is currently horrendous. 

9 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Sorry, not sure what your point is? 

That's not many over the years.

If it's just a statistical reference then cheers. 

The MLS has a shit load of money and still it get's compared to the SPFL. 

So for that reason, i'm out. 

it was just info and my views on the most successful position

kingantti1874
55 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I think it's the opposite, too many folk happy to shit on our league. 

Based on what? 

Europe does and always will dominate football. 

Because outside rangers and Celtic it’s league 1 standard at best And that’s just a fact.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Why I can't believe it will happen. 

Champions League. America doesn't like competition internationally. 

They also feel the need to control transfers. Be hard to control all superstar players. 

The traditional sports are essentially their sports.  Football isn't,  they won't ever have full control,  can't see them persevere without the full power. Impossible to see how that would happen 

4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I was more taken aback by Jim Spence revealing that CL said the dundee derby ,outside of the celtic rangers derby ,was the biggest in terms of supporters attending in relation to the city’s population . 
I’ll stick my neck out and be prepared to be proven wrong but I think that’s bollocks 

from rough numbers the dundee derby would be on a par with the OF derby at around 9% of dundee population (14k at last derby 150k rough population) using basic figures the edinburgh derby is around 4% (20k and 500k values)