football shows that no longer air that you miss (NHC)

Masonic

sidjamesbottle
3 hours ago, martoon said:

Wasn't that written by Sid Waddell of darts fame?

Murphy's Mob was a favourite of mine. Scottish actor Ken Hutchinson/Hutchison played Murphy and I think Peter Barlow from Coronation Street played a young tearaway. 

Rasputin Jones

39 minutes ago, sidjamesbottle said:

Rasputin Jones

I'd forgotten all about him until I watched the first few minutes of episode 1 after posting. He was the club owner. Also forgot that the club was called Dunsmore United, the main character was called MacMurphy, Lynda Bellingham played his wife and Gary Holton (Auf Wiedersehen, Pet) sang the theme tune.

🎶 We're gonna have a fine, fine time if we stick "togeva"🎶

😊

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

The BBC used to do a proper programme showing Scottish football highlights, Sportscene I think it was called.

Its a great point. Tbf theres a lot of Sunday games now but it was great having that and then motd after

10 hours ago, Cade said:

Jossy's Giants

Haha! Loved it. So much so I ordered it on DVD last Sunday. Should get it today or Saturday. ;)

It should have been ten
12 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Not so much the show but I miss Archie MacPherson and is beige socks on sportscene. 

:lol: This! 

Cream socks 🧦 cream breeks, cream shirt, cream woolly jumper and cream shoes. 

Oh and Candy floss hair in a cream/ ginger shade.

Edited by It should have been ten

Samuel Camazzola
15 hours ago, Homme said:

Trans World Sports had a bit of football on it, usually Mexican or South American etc. Had weird and wonderful sports from all over the globe too - a  brilliant programme. I think it was on before or after Football Italia on a Saturday morning.

Transworld Sport is still broadcast. When FreeSports launched a couple of years ago, it featured on that. 

Current listing show a viewing is scheduled for this Monday. Great programme where you can be given an update on the Copa Libertadores followed by a spot of kabaddi. 

It looks like the channel has a bit of live Spanish and Italian football this weekend too. 

14 hours ago, martoon said:

I'd forgotten all about him until I watched the first few minutes of episode 1 after posting. He was the club owner. Also forgot that the club was called Dunsmore United, the main character was called MacMurphy, Lynda Bellingham played his wife and Gary Holton (Auf Wiedersehen, Pet) sang the theme tune.

🎶 We're gonna have a fine, fine time if we stick "togeva"🎶

😊

Used Vicarage Road as the ground

We are the champions, with Roy Pickering. Sports competition for primary schools. Should be upgraded and brought back nowadays.

What about the programme.... All in the Game.

used to be on ITV in the mid 70s and involved 8 teams in a knockout skills competition.  I seem to remember Hearts against a Leeds team that had the likes of Lorimer et al

Almost a football version of its a knockout!!

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

We are the champions, with Roy Pickering. Sports competition for primary schools. Should be upgraded and brought back nowadays.

If they can bring back Crackerjack anything's possible, John. 

Pedant alert: wasn't it Ron Pickering? 

Edited by martoon

12 minutes ago, martoon said:

If they can bring back Crackerjack anything's possible, John. 

Pedant alert: wasn't it Ron Pickering? 

I thought I had typed Ron lol.

Memo to self. Always proof read before hitting the submit button

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

I thought I had typed Ron lol.

Memo to self. Always proof read before hitting the submit button

👍

On 16/01/2020 at 14:17, martoon said:

Wasn't that written by Sid Waddell of darts fame?

beat me to it 

Murphy's Mob was a favourite of mine. Scottish actor Ken Hutchinson/Hutchison played Murphy and I think Peter Barlow from Coronation Street played a young tearaway. 

forgot all about that one 

On 17/01/2020 at 06:49, jambo89 said:

They think it’s all over with lee hurst and that Hancock fella.

I liked Lee Hurst. 

I don't think he kept to well. Iirc, he had a chronic back problem and was in constant pain. No idea what he's doing or how he is now but wish him well.

Funny guy.

Edited by martoon

My first real memories of football was football Italia on channel 4. The intro , the wee Italian cafes , Richardson and the black fella who did the punditry too, can’t for the life of me remember his name though? Fiorentina were the first team I remember from back then, probably that purple kit. 

been here before
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

My first real memories of football was football Italia on channel 4. The intro , the wee Italian cafes , Richardson and the black fella who did the punditry too, can’t for the life of me remember his name though? Fiorentina were the first team I remember from back then, probably that purple kit. 

Luther Blisset was on it for a while and Paul Elliot did a spot of commentary as I recall.

20 minutes ago, been here before said:

Luther Blisset was on it for a while and Paul Elliot did a spot of commentary as I recall.

paul elliot, that’s the guy 👍

Not sure if mentioned yet......  i loved Fantasy Football...   Late at nightwith Skinner and his pal and Statto  :)

Fantasy Football League with Baddiel and Skinner. Loved that growing up.

More recently I quite liked Fletch and Sav on Sat mornings from a few years back. 

On 18/01/2020 at 09:40, martoon said:

I liked Lee Hurst. 

I don't think he kept to well. Iirc, he had a chronic back problem and was in constant pain. No idea what he's doing or how he is now but wish him well.

Funny guy.

Had a wee check on what he is up to. I think the fact he has some political views that don't fit in with modern comedy (defending Tommy Robinson and seemingly pro-UKIP) may restriuct his opportunities.

Plus this tweet: "The TaxMAN. One of the few terms that feminists don't argue about or want any part of. "

I'll cast another vote for Offside. I like Tam Cowan. Not an up himself yes man like a lot of BBC personalities. With the amount of televised football, I can't believe there's such a lack of primetime satirical TV these days. Another one I liked was They Think It's All Over with Nick Hancock(?). Was like HIGNFY and Buzzcocks but sport.

Football Italia was easily the most elegant football programme ever made. Classy as ****. For anyone who misses James Richardson, he does a few podcasts including 'Gazzetta (sp) Italia'. Always a good listen, as is the Totally Football Show which is mostly Premier League, but plenty titbits from world football. Hearts even got a few mentions last season when we were flying high.

Couple of more recent programmes for me. Speaking of James Richardson, I was gutted when I found out The European Football Show was off air. Highlights from Italy, Germany and France, plus plenty news and funny bits from each league among others, followed by the headline Sunday night game which was usually the late Italian kick off.

Another I liked was Take It Like a Fan on Sky Sports. A Friday night show, they went around grounds on a matchday doing different quizzes and games with fans in order for them to try and win cash. They were up in Scotland a few times, but as far as I know, Hearts never got on it.

Agree with a lot of folk here - Football Italia is a big miss. I still enjoy Italian footy too...far too much focus on the English leagues now. 

Салатные палочки

I loved Gazetta Football Italia.  Was there anything more 90's than James Richardson sat outside in a square drinking an espresso with shades on and the newspapers spread out over the table?  That was Saturday mornings before Soccer AM (when it was watchable).  Trans World Sports, then a break for the Morning Line, then Gaelic Games (during the summer) and then Gazetta Football Italia before heading off for the game.  Italian football was like it was from another world when it first came on Channel 4.  Amazing stadiums, classic kits (Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Juve in Kappa).  Very exotic.  

Although it was OF-heavy, I always like Saturday Scotsport.  Admittedly we only got to watch it if we were going to an away game close to home (Killie or St Mirren) and Sportscene on a Friday night previewing the weekends action.  I also miss the half-hour highlights on Sportscene and almost an hour of highlights on Scotsport on a Sunday afternoon.  

We're drip-fed so much football these days that it's hard to even get excited for some TV games, especially EPL.  Back in the late 80's/early 90's we didn't have that so going to bed on a Saturday night to watch Sportscene and then Sunday dinner in front of Scotsport was a highlight of the week (I was young!).  

avhudtheteeshirt
On 16/01/2020 at 12:35, Luscious Laryea said:

Scotsport in the 90s will always be my ultimate nostalgia. He's not universally liked but hearing Gerry McNee's voice over old games brings back fond memories of our team in the 97-98 season back in the good times.

Another poster has mentioned Bob Wilson - I'll second that. Miss The Big Match...Live! when he was presenter. Excellent anchor with a relaxed style.

The man who singlehandedly nearly put Aberdeen into administration.

On a Sunday show told viewers, "the only way to compete with the Old Firm is to buy £1 million pound players"!!!

Aberdeen were the only team outwith the Old Firm to buy a player for over £1 million, Bernard was his name, and 2 years later they took the toaster out of the players lounge to cut costs!!!!!

McNee was a total joke of a man, although at the time he was Sports Editor for the Daily Record!

The last line speaks volumes, he had his nose up the a**e of the Old Firm!!!!

On 22/01/2020 at 18:13, Cade said:

Laura Esposto presenting Football Italiano on Channel 5 is a miss.

It was smashing waking up to her on the telly on sunday mornings.

hqdefault.jpg

she got a jockey? :)

The Real Maroonblood
On 16/01/2020 at 22:10, Cal_ said:

Eurogoals on eurosport was great. All the goals from europe clumped together. 

Eurotrash as well.

😏

• redm changed the title to football shows that no longer air that you miss (NHC)
Steve_Jersey_HMFC
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 17:21, Restonbabe said:

This. 

Lovejoy and Helen chamberlain 

Back in the day it was a really good show, for its time.

Cant believe theres still a version of it on now. Seems to be only on for about 1 hour and is mostly Jimmy Bullard doing Jimmy Bullard things, and they wheel out that Tubes bloke to do the same gags he did 20 years ago. I don't watch it as such, just see it on the screens in the gym on a Sat morning