football shows that no longer air that you miss (NHC)

Masonic

Football Italia on channel 4 was unreal great to watch wee richardson would do his thing with a paper and a bagel then when it was finished it was time to go to the game great memories

Offside on bbc 1 best and funniest football comedy programme that ive watched about football each weak a different guest would get roasted having it on a monday night was barry as well

Real Radio on Setanta with Ewan Cameron was great banter and underrated imo

Eurogoals on Eurosport a quick fire round up of goals all across the shop from sweden to belgian to switzerland and beyond the good thing about this is 90% of the goals you seen were stuff that was never televised

Scotsport on stv was more fair and less biased imo compared to sportscene also enjoyed jim white early in his career and archie macphersons commentary as well

The Premiership when english football was on itv i preferred it much better the intro was unbelievable as well what a tune

Final thing i miss is when the uefa cup was on channel 5 the boy who done the commentary for the chelsea games when they were in autoglass strips and had zola was class i actually think i heard the same boy doing some womens football commentary on bbc but not 100% on that

is there any shows u miss or would like to see brought back

LarrysRightFoot

I liked Fantasy Football League with Baddiel and Skinner when I was younger. Would have liked a Scottish version - A View From the Terrace is decent (2 jambos) but lacks something. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

The context has changed with so much football on tv now.

I think shows with good analysis including the stats would be good. Not sure if there was anything. 

Before my time but shows with Brian Clough. I think he had his own show. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The context has changed with so much football on tv now.

I think shows with good analysis including the stats would be good. Not sure if there was anything. 

Before my time but shows with Brian Clough. I think he had his own show. 

If you have BT sport. Catch up on the big match revisited. See how football has changed. Not always for the better imho.

been here before

Arthur Montford era Scotsport. Saint and Greavsie ("no way is he Scottish with a name like Henry Smith"). Anything with Bob Crampsey.

Only A Game was a great (4 part I think) documentary.

David Francie commentry. Jock Brown and MacPherson are/were atricious.

Some of the old 70s/80s games on ITV are great veiwing- The Big Match.

Ewan Cameron and Offside though...  :rofl: ...that is brutal.

There used to be a Sunday afternoon highlights show for the Scottish first division which I remember watching as a youngster about 15 years ago. Football league show as well was usually a good antidote to the god awful last few matches on Match of the Day; That 0-0 draw made you want to tan your wrists? Never mind there was some belters in the lower league that we’ll fire at you for a couple of hours 

Football focus with Bob Wilson, followed by Saint and Greavsie was a must watch. I liked real football phonein with guy before Ewan... Bill someone? 

Football Italia was years ahead of its time - sitting chatting about the game in a cafe with the local papers would make a great blog style channel show in this day and age. Cracking programme that got me into watching overseas football. Still look out for teams like Parma scores because of it.

16 minutes ago, been here before said:

Arthur Montford era Scotsport. Saint and Greavsie ("no way is he Scottish with a name like Henry Smith"). Anything with Bob Crampsey.

The old Scotsport was brilliant.

Any Scottish based football programme on TV or radio is just an old firm wank fest.

47 minutes ago, Masonic said:

Football Italia on channel 4 was unreal great to watch wee richardson would do his thing with a paper and a bagel then when it was finished it was time to go to the game great memories

Offside on bbc 1 best and funniest football comedy programme that ive watched about football each weak a different guest would get roasted having it on a monday night was barry as well

Real Radio on Setanta with Ewan Cameron was great banter and underrated imo

Eurogoals on Eurosport a quick fire round up of goals all across the shop from sweden to belgian to switzerland and beyond the good thing about this is 90% of the goals you seen were stuff that was never televised

Scotsport on stv was more fair and less biased imo compared to sportscene also enjoyed jim white early in his career and archie macphersons commentary as well

The Premiership when english football was on itv i preferred it much better the intro was unbelievable as well what a tune

Final thing i miss is when the uefa cup was on channel 5 the boy who done the commentary for the chelsea games when they were in autoglass strips and had zola was class i actually think i heard the same boy doing some womens football commentary on bbc but not 100% on that

is there any shows u miss or would like to see brought back

Jonathan Pearce??

29 minutes ago, been here before said:

From about 2:30 onwards - genius!  listen carefully for the director on theother end of the phone...

Luscious Laryea

Scotsport in the 90s will always be my ultimate nostalgia. He's not universally liked but hearing Gerry McNee's voice over old games brings back fond memories of our team in the 97-98 season back in the good times.

Another poster has mentioned Bob Wilson - I'll second that. Miss The Big Match...Live! when he was presenter. Excellent anchor with a relaxed style.

11 minutes ago, Boris said:

From about 2:30 onwards - genius!  listen carefully for the director on theother end of the phone...

Brilliant. 😄

24 minutes ago, Boris said:

So Clydebank was not all seated 

55 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Forget the football for a minute, I want "It's a Knockout" back on

Stuart Hall :(  and Eddie Waring

Stuart Hall.  :vrwow:

Did Channel 5 not used to cover some of the European leagues back in the late 90's and early 00's?

Vaguely remember watching highlights very late at night or in the early hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep.

Bazzas right boot

The documentry on Harchester Rovers was great, but ultimately Tragic. 

Shame they cancelled  it. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Matthew Le Tissier
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The documentry on Harchester Rovers was great, but ultimately Tragic. 

Shame they cancelled  it. 

Dream team was fantastically terrible 

Another shout for Football Italia and Fantasy Football. Growing up in the 90s these were always watched in our house 

Sportsnight. 

Aired on Wednesday nights in the '70's and covered, in the main, European games (inc Hearts 5 Lokomotiv 1, iirc). 

Almost always a school night so, as a primary kid at the time, I was usually in bed by 8 or 9. My dad, though, would promise to pop his head round the door just before it started, whisper my name, and if I was still awake let me get back up to watch it after my mum had gone to bed. 

Man Utd 5 Porto 2 is a game that sticks out but Porto had won the 1st leg 3 or 4-nil so wasn't quite enough for Man U. Around the same time as Hearts' aforementioned heroics. 

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

Jossy's Giants

Wasn't that written by Sid Waddell of darts fame?

Murphy's Mob was a favourite of mine. Scottish actor Ken Hutchinson/Hutchison played Murphy and I think Peter Barlow from Coronation Street played a young tearaway. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

The BBC used to do a proper programme showing Scottish football highlights, Sportscene I think it was called.

:laugh:

Trans World Sports had a bit of football on it, usually Mexican or South American etc. Had weird and wonderful sports from all over the globe too - a  brilliant programme. I think it was on before or after Football Italia on a Saturday morning.

• redm changed the title to football shows that no longer air that you miss (NHC)