Help with Hearts Fanzine History

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

We are putting together our next exhibition in the Museum on the theme of 'MyTynecatle'. One of our themes is 'fanzines'.

We are putting together a panel with a brief history of Hearts fanzines

The earliest one we've got is The Hearts Review from 1984. Is there an earlier one?

We are also putting together a montage of covers.

We have

Always the Bridesmaid
Capital Heartines
Dead Ball
Gorgie Wave
Heartbeat Fanzine
No Idle Talk
Still, Mustn't Grumble
The Hearts Review
The Hearts Supporter
The Jam Piece Fanzine
Unknown Pleasures

Any others out there?

If you could scan in the cover and email it to

[email protected]

Thanks

2 hours ago, Hearts Heritage said:

We are putting together our next exhibition in the Museum on the theme of 'MyTynecatle'. One of our themes is 'fanzines'.

The earliest one we've got is The Hearts Review from 1984. Is there an earlier one?

We have

Always the Bridesmaid
Capital Heartines
Dead Ball
Gorgie Wave
Heartbeat Fanzine
No Idle Talk
Still, Mustn't Grumble
The Hearts Review
The Hearts Supporter
The Jam Piece Fanzine
Unknown Pleasures

Any others out there?

[email protected]

Thanks

The Jambo

I seem to recall buying it monthly in the 1990's.

Sorry but cannot find a copy.

Hearts Heritage
15 minutes ago, ollie2004 said:

The Jambo

I seem to recall buying it monthly in the 1990's.

Sorry but cannot find a copy.

The Jambo was an 'official' publication

Hearts Heritage
43 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'm sure I have copies of NIT ATB lying around If you want I can send them to you.

Thanks for the offer we have some for putting on display.

been here before

I know theyre not fanzines but Ive still got all the issues of Hearts News Monthly.

20171011_165144.jpg

Edited by been here before

Kennedy Bakircioglu
23 hours ago, farin said:

Here’s 2 not listed by the op. 

D6EB62EF-77B7-4AA8-8DCF-56137D77D788.thumb.jpeg.5c419506e6ffde019c5e56baee69349d.jpeg

7DB683F5-E8A3-4C11-909A-C658EF1880D9.thumb.jpeg.173923ae8af0bfdec6fe2633493977d1.jpeg

That is a blast from the past!

I set up Maroon View with a mate when I was 16 years old. Thankfully it did improve after that first issue. 

We did get the chance to meet Chris Robinson, Gary Mackay, Peter McGrail and some other people involved at Hearts in what was a pretty exciting time for Hearts fans.

I miss buying a fanzine before the matches. Was part of the pre match routine when I was younger getting an ATB and a programme on the corner of Gorgie Road entrance and walking up to the Gorgie stand. Good times.

scott herbertson
On 15/01/2020 at 19:43, farin said:

D6EB62EF-77B7-4AA8-8DCF-56137D77D788.thumb.jpeg.5c419506e6ffde019c5e56baee69349d.jpeg

7DB683F5-E8A3-4C11-909A-C658EF1880D9.thumb.jpeg.173923ae8af0bfdec6fe2633493977d1.jpeg

a scan of the irvine jambo article would be interesting to read on here (not just for me I'm guessing)

Ricardo Shillyshally
23 hours ago, farin said:

Irvine Jambo? is it THE Irivine Jambo?

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, Jap Jambo said:

may be failing memory but was there one affiliated with Manchester Hearts?

On 15/01/2020 at 10:27, Hearts Heritage said:

We have

Always the Bridesmaid
Capital Heartines
Dead Ball
Gorgie Wave
Heartbeat Fanzine
No Idle Talk
Still, Mustn't Grumble
The Hearts Review
The Hearts Supporter
The Jam Piece Fanzine
Unknown Pleasures

Any others out there?

[email protected]

Thanks

Rainbow Hearts published a few fanzines. Glasgow Hearts first Fanzine was published late 1969 and morphed into "The Hearts Supporter". A few examples below.

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

28 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Rainbow Hearts published a few fanzines. Glasgow Hearts first Fanzine was published late 1969 and morphed into "The Hearts Supporter". A few examples below.

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

Hearts Heritage
53 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

Brilliant. Good updates for our panel.

The one that inspired us to start no idle talk was "the boys done well almost" as well as heartbeat. We had great fun producing and selling not. Don't forget "from Perth to paisley" our spin off songbook

Suspect Device
12 hours ago, Boris said:

Memory may be playing tricks, but wasn't their a fanzine called "Suspect Device"?

Not that I know of 😯

Doctor FinnBarr

I had a massive mountain of fanzines (and bike mags) when I got married in 98. Think I had every single copy of NIT plus others and even other teams fanzines. As a poster above mentioned they were far funnier and better value than a matchday magazine (programme). When the mrs moved in I binned the lot, so much weight it buckled the spindle on our wheelie bin

Re NIT, still have a cassette tape in the house of a certain member of Linlithgow Hearts losing the plot with Wallace Mercer on a radio phone in

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Hearts Heritage

Once we've got setting the new exhibition up we would like to compile a definative list of fanzines for our archive and digitise them all. We will be in touch about getting them on loan or donation.

• 2 years later...

Going through a lot of old stuff in boxes from our previous house, I came across this from 2009.    I don't remember it, but clearly must have acquired it somehow.  Seems to have been produced by some folk connected with the Hearts Supporters Trust.

JamPact.thumb.jpg.e6aee481f369a7b89c34cb78e4ab0b31.jpg

31 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Going through a lot of old stuff in boxes from our previous house, I came across this from 2009.    I don't remember it, but clearly must have acquired it somehow.  Seems to have been produced by some folk connected with the Hearts Supporters Trust.

JamPact.thumb.jpg.e6aee481f369a7b89c34cb78e4ab0b31.jpg

It was indeed produced by the Supporters Trust.  

On 23/01/2020 at 11:18, Hearts Heritage said:

Once we've got setting the new exhibition up we would like to compile a definative list of fanzines for our archive and digitise them all. We will be in touch about getting them on loan or donation.

did you ever get a definitive list ?

On 16/01/2020 at 19:36, Mort said:

I miss buying a fanzine before the matches. Was part of the pre match routine when I was younger getting an ATB and a programme on the corner of Gorgie Road entrance and walking up to the Gorgie stand. Good times.

Same here. I didn't really get taken to matches much when I was younger but my mum when she stayed in Dalry would give me a few quite to run along to Gorgie to buy myself a programme and got a few ATB's as well.

Far too young to get half the humour but the ones I did get I always found very amusing, even at that age. I used to also love the wee cartoon in the programme in the late 90's/early 2000's. Jock and Tam I think it was called?

There must be a market for a JKB fanzine?

The Best of...

The Worst of...

The Wisdom o...aye, okay, forget it.

:mw_tease:

On 17/01/2020 at 09:14, Boris said:

Memory may be playing tricks, but wasn't their a fanzine called "Suspect Device"?

wasn't that the bomb squads fanzine? 😆

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, cookieboy said:

did you ever get a definitive list ?

It’s work in progress. But a colossal number of scans and archiving has been completed. Don’t know what the current state of play is though.

Since we are on the subject of zines, are they worth anything to collectors. Think I have every NIT and ATBM plus some of the others mentioned like Hearts review. I also have a few away fanzins, sick in the basin (Partick Thistle) & Kille Ken for instance. Not had a look at them for ages.

On 18/01/2020 at 00:19, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I had a massive mountain of fanzines (and bike mags) when I got married in 98. Think I had every single copy of NIT plus others and even other teams fanzines. As a poster above mentioned they were far funnier and better value than a matchday magazine (programme). When the mrs moved in I binned the lot, so much weight it buckled the spindle on our wheelie bin

Re NIT, still have a cassette tape in the house of a certain member of Linlithgow Hearts losing the plot with Wallace Mercer on a radio phone in

Can you expand on this?   Certainly we had a run in with Chris Robinson, can't recall a fallout with Wallace Mercer. 

Doctor FinnBarr
On 04/02/2022 at 19:39, goader said:

Can you expand on this?   Certainly we had a run in with Chris Robinson, can't recall a fallout with Wallace Mercer. 

Aye, it was Gordon (surname I can't remember), I knew him from attending Federation meetings. WM was on a radio phone in complaining that fans didn't do enough to help the club, cue Gordon phoning in to remind him that Linlithgow Hearts members had spent weekends in the close season painting the old shed stancions free of charge.

Cassette tape was sent out by NIT to anyone sending a SAE.