Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Jambo314

• corkie64

• Masonic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Ah yes, Melbourne Thistle is maybe what I was thinking.  Coach there called Sandy I think

Yes, Sandy was a coach with Melbourne.

1 minute ago, Jambo314 said:

Yes, Sandy was a coach with Melbourne.

Did they have the young lad called Buckley who ended up at Dundee Utd?

6 minutes ago, cardboardcutout said:

Just watched the 2-3 game on youtube, what we would do to have Naysmith and Cameron now!

As mentioned ICT played and beat them a few day's later but I remember (I think) they were meant to play them before we did. Fortunately there was high winds which had loosened speakers or something at Parkhead so the game was postponed. I like to think our skelping played it's part.

Jackson was a good player, even at Hibs. Also scored a peach away to Estonia I think while he was at Celtic. You forget he had some health worries there too.

3 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

I'm not sure mate, I probably played for Melbourne about 10 years earlier than Darren.

1 minute ago, Jambo314 said:

I'm not sure mate, I probably played for Melbourne about 10 years earlier than Darren.

Great club - played pre season friendlies against them in the early 80s.  Do they still exist?

Just now, BelgeJambo said:

Great club - played pre season friendlies against them in the early 80s.  Do they still exist?

I'm not sure if they do TBH and I've never heard anything of them of late.

jambos are go!

Hearts stopped playing him towards the end of his contract because he was guaranteed an extension if he played so many games. The game were scored a screamer again Hibs was one of his last games. IIRC.

I am sure he played for Melbourne Thistle who played at Morgan playing fields.

I delivered furniture to his parents house once and I'm pretty sure there was a Hearts picture on the wall.

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

I remember he scored a 30 yards screamer against Motherwell at Fir Park.  We won 4-0 despite having struggled for the majority of the season.  Bringing Jackson in was a masterstroke by JJ.  With him in the squad, Mickey coming back from injury and McSwegan finally remembering how to put the ball into the back of the net, we really hit form when we needed to.  Could be doing with a signing like that coming in this month to get us ticking again.  

I think Scott Severin made his first ever start in that game. Played great also.

3 hours ago, GforGallo said:

Scored an absolute raker against hibs at Easter Road iirc. 

Didn't realise he was a hun? Could have sworn I'd read he had been hearts mascot at a game? 

He definitely was a mascot at Hearts. 

4 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He definitely was a mascot at Hearts. 

Yip, there's a classic picture with JJ as captain leading him out

58 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Depending on the decade that could possibly have been one of Paddy Buckley's lads Kevin or Graham, not sure but I believe they played senior or could've been junior, the memory ain't so good as the years go by lol

13 minutes ago, geomac said:

Yip, there's a classic picture with JJ as captain leading him out

That's the one. :jjyay:

2 hours ago, corkie64 said:

I'm sure he played for Melbourne thistle U21's before signing with Meadowbank, but yes a positive example to any young player to never give up hope of progressing. 

Yes that’s right he played for Melbourne too, I’m sure he worked in Gatsbys for a while...early to mid 1980s

8 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Yes that’s right he played for Melbourne too, I’m sure he worked in Gatsbys for a while...early to mid 1980s

Gatsby's oh the memories lol

Edited by corkie64

wheatfield to sheffield

Remember seeing him and Davie Bowman outside the old stand one match day when they were both Dundee utd players, but they must have not had as game that day and so came to support the Hearts

And his dad used to live in the next stair to me just off London Road

Diadora Van Basten

Darren Jackson was talking about how he got into a Scotland squad after everyone else called off and was rooming with John Collins. When the adverts came on the telly Collins got down on the floor and started doing sit ups and press ups.

Darren Jackson decided to start doing the same and his game improved so much that he went from being a £200k player to a £2 million player and earning a transfer to Celtic.

Like Jim Bett he had a cameo appearance for Hearts in his later years and did well for us despite being in a fairly rotten team.

Samuel Camazzola

My mate was at Livi when Jackson signed for them. It was at the time when the big windsor knots were all the rage and he said Jackson had a queue of guys each weekend asking him to do their ties for them. 😄

Forever Hearts
22 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Darren Jackson was talking about how he got into a Scotland squad after everyone else called off and was rooming with John Collins. When the adverts came on the telly Collins got down on the floor and started doing sit ups and press ups.

Darren Jackson decided to start doing the same and his game improved so much that he went from being a £200k player to a £2 million player and earning a transfer to Celtic.

Like Jim Bett he had a cameo appearance for Hearts in his later years and did well for us despite being in a fairly rotten team.

He became a £2m player? 

cardboardcutout
1 minute ago, Paolo said:

And a Niemi. 

Aye cos then we could say 'what a Finnish' something seldom heard this season!

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

He became a £2m player? 

Transfer fee Hibs to Celtic was £1.5m and was valued at £2m whilst at Celtic.

Forever Hearts
9 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Transfer fee Hibs to Celtic was £1.5m and was valued at £2m whilst at Celtic.

I don't remember his transfer fee from Hibs to Celtic being as high as that. 

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

And a Niemi. 

Someone I don't recall being back for a half-time draw/interview.  

Needs to be done! 

5 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I saw him up not that long ago up town, near the West End I think, sure it was him.  I tell you what he looked as fit as a fiddle, thin looking as ever and I thought crips get him a strip and get him on the park.  I have a mate who knows him and says he still regularly plays 5's somewhere and runs about like a teenager.  Not sure if that is true or not anyone know?

He's quite often at reserve matches at Oriam.  And I'm sure I've seen him a few times in the directors box area in the last couple of seasons. Is he not an agent, or works for an agency?

9 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

My Dad worked beside Adam Jackson, his Dad.  

When DJ was at United he wasn’t in the squad in a game v Hearts at Tynie nearing the time he was about to move. My Dad met both Adam and Darren coming out the ground. 

Said he was waiting on Hearts making a move(in hope) but Hibs had already got themselves far down the line ready to sign him. 

We never made a move and he signed for the vermin. 

Your dad must’ve worked beside my dad because my dad was Adams boss. Small world D4

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

He's quite often at reserve matches at Oriam.  And I'm sure I've seen him a few times in the directors box area in the last couple of seasons. Is he not an agent, or works for an agency?

He was an agent but ended up bankrupt. No idea what he's up to now. 

7 hours ago, corkie64 said:

I'm sure he played for Melbourne thistle U21's before signing with Meadowbank, but yes a positive example to any young player to never give up hope of progressing. 

Yes he played with Melbourne u21’s and I played against him a few times when I played with Telman Star u21’s. Melbourne won everything the year he was there but narrowly lost to Campsie Black Watch in the SC final. I’m sure it ended up 4-3 after extra time. Melbourne has a few players that went senior after that year. Signed for Broxburn juniors but Terry Christie came in for him before he kicked a ball and he signed part time with meadowbank thistle. He got a job just over the road with George Stewart Printers then went full time when he signed for Newcastle. 

5 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

He was an agent but ended up bankrupt. No idea what he's up to now. 

I'm sure I read that he had some executive chauffeur travel business?

Edited by Jambo314

6 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Are you not thinking about Billy Blackie who played upfront for Melbourne? It was Joe Macleod, winger who signed for Dundee Utd. Don’t recall a Buckley but may be wrong. They were a rival team and we finished second to them in every competition  that year 

Edited by Jambo Hardhat

3 minutes ago, Jambo Hardhat said:

Are you not thinking about Billy Blackie who played upfront for Melbourne? It was Joe Macleod, winger who signed for Dundee Utd. Don’t recall a Buckley but may be wrong. They were a rival team and we finished second to them in every competition  that year 

Definitely a Buckley

Forever Hearts
16 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

That rings a bell actually. 

18 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Didn’t Alan McLaren have a chauffeur business?

7 hours ago, richiehmfc said:

I remember when he signed folk going mental and I think he got boo'd on his first appearance by a minority although mind maybe playing tricks on me.
Great signing as others have said. 

Oh and that game at parkhead was brilliant, i remember my hands and throat hurting after the game from clapping and singing so much. The Hearts end was bouncing. 

Remember him playing for us against the hobos at Easter Road. Guy in front of me going mad at him every time he touched the ball, saying once a hobo always a hobo. Scored a 30 yard screamer and everyone jumped on the guy, but he still said he was a hobo xxxx

42 minutes ago, Jambo Hardhat said:

Your dad must’ve worked beside my dad because my dad was Adams boss. Small world D4

William Thynes at Sighthill industrial estate? 

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

William Thynes at Sighthill industrial estate? 

Yeh my dad was a gaffer in the engineering/maintenance side. Eventually he became chief engineer until he retired. I used to get to work there for two weeks in the trades holidays, mostly painting the place. He used to take me in on a Saturday morning and I’d get a lemon tea out the vending machine as a treat. I remember a guy called Biffo used to keep a tank of pirhana fish there in the mechanics. He used to drop a piece of chicken in to them to show me what they could do. Attended all the Christmas parties as a kid. They went overboard for all the kids up there. Biggest Christmas tree I’d ever seen. Was a great place of employment. So many memories. Whenever I drive past it, it always makes me think of the place. As I got older I got to know a few of the characters. Adam used to be a regular attendee at my dads for the  old house parties. 

Bazzas right boot

Scored one of the best goals I've seen for Scotland b v n Ireland b at ER. 

Ridiculous goal it was. 

Remember his goal v Dundee.

Rab Douglas tried to throw it over him to his defender but stuffed it up and Darren managed to loop a header over him

Funny what sticks in the mind

Ricardo Shillyshally
20 hours ago, The Duke said:

Fantastic player who was a late bloomer in many ways, almost single handedly kept us out of relegation bother around 1999ish. 

This. (Although i think it was earlier in the 90s)

His goals and assist in the 2nd half of that season were crucial. He never celebrated though. Can't remember the reason. In the huff with someone I think.

Ricardo Shillyshally
20 hours ago, The Duke said:

Fantastic player who was a late bloomer in many ways, almost single handedly kept us out of relegation bother around 1999ish. 

This. (Although i think it was earlier in the 90s)

His goals and assist in the 2nd half of that season were crucial. He never celebrated though. Can't remember the reason. In the huff with someone I think.

jamboolood1874
22 hours ago, GforGallo said:

Scored an absolute raker against hibs at Easter Road iirc. 

Didn't realise he was a hun? Could have sworn I'd read he had been hearts mascot at a game? 

He was a mascot for Hearts when JJ was captain but can't remember what game it was.