Darren Jackson

Masonic

didnt play long for us but helped during a baron spell for the club what i was wondering is did hearts try to sign him in his earlier days when at utd or h1b5 i read on his wiki page he is a jambo which im sure id heard before back in the day but wasnt sure

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Jambo314

• corkie64

• Masonic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Auldreekie1874

Was banging them in for Meadowbank Thistle when aged around 17 If I remember rightly. Hearts or Hibs never made a move and he ended up at Newcastle, One that got away maybe...

7 minutes ago, Masonic said:

didnt play long for us but helped during a baron spell for the club what i was wondering is did hearts try to sign him in his earlier days when at utd or h1b5 i read on his wiki page he is a jambo which im sure id heard before back in the day but wasnt sure

My Dad worked beside Adam Jackson, his Dad.  

When DJ was at United he wasn’t in the squad in a game v Hearts at Tynie nearing the time he was about to move. My Dad met both Adam and Darren coming out the ground. 

Said he was waiting on Hearts making a move(in hope) but Hibs had already got themselves far down the line ready to sign him. 

We never made a move and he signed for the vermin. 

Edited by Debut 4

14 minutes ago, Masonic said:

I’m pretty sure we tried to sign him from Newcastle at the same time we re-signed Robbo.

Scored an absolute raker against hibs at Easter Road iirc. 

Didn't realise he was a hun? Could have sworn I'd read he had been hearts mascot at a game? 

6 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Did he start off at Edina Hibs?  Seem to remember he was there around the same time as my brother

Might be wrong but I thought North Merchiston...far from sure though.

12 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

My Dad worked beside Adam Jackson, his Dad.  

When DJ was at United he wasn’t in the squad in a game v Hearts at Tynie nearing the time he was about to move. My Dad met both Adam and Darren coming out the ground. 

Said he was waiting on Hearts making a move(in hope) but Hibs had already got themselves far down the line ready to sign him. 

We never made a move and he signed for the vermin. 

interesting i see he scored roughly 1 in 3 games would have been decent beside robbo

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, GforGallo said:

Scored an absolute raker against hibs at Easter Road iirc. 

Didn't realise he was a hun? Could have sworn I'd read he had been hearts mascot at a game? 

Probably done the mascot thing to please his old man. Believe me, he was a Rangers fan.  

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

Probably done the mascot thing to please his old man. Believe me, he was a Rangers fan.  

can u confirm if he went to lorne primary? as im sure that was the story when i was there in the 90s

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Boab said:

Upended to win the penalty that Cameron slotted away in that 3-2 win at Parkhead.

What a game that was. 

2-0 down and we won 3-2, one of my best ever away days. I'm sure it was just before or just after ICT knocked Celtic out of the Scottish Cup. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, Masonic said:

can u confirm if he went to lorne primary? as im sure that was the story when i was there in the 90s

I couldn't confirm that mate. 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

2-0 down and we won 3-2, one of my best ever away days. I'm sure it was just before or just after ICT knocked Celtic out of the Scottish Cup. 

When we were still taking not bad numbers to Parkhead. The demons were livid when the penalty went in and were told quite starkly where to go !

23 minutes ago, Masonic said:

He went to Leith Walk primary

Was crucial in keeping us up. In the longer-term, we never made good use of him. He was so willing that he’d be making tackles in and around our penalty box and corner flags and we really needed him in the final third doing the clever stuff.  

40 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Celtic were knocked out by ICT 3 days after we beat them and John Barnes got sacked. I don't think any team has beaten Celtic at Parkhead from 2 nil down since.  Brilliant day that was which amazingly was almost 20 years ago.

55 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Fully agree. Was incredible to be in the away end that day. 

We have a mutual friend and I met him in that strip club at Tollcross years ago, not long after it opened. Nice bloke, down to earth and had time for everyone who recognised him. 

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Fully agree. Was incredible to be in the away end that day. 

I remember saying to my mate that if Celtic score a third goal it's time for the pub. 

27 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

He went to Leith Walk primary

In 1972/73 Leith Walk primary school had some building work done, and kids from primary classes 1,2,3 and 4 were moved down to Lorne Street school for a year or so, I'm unaware if Darren was at Leith walk at that time, but if he was he'd have been in P1 or 2., Adam (Addy) Jackson was our school football team manager from around that time.

6 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I remember saying to my mate that if Celtic score a third goal it's time for the pub. 

Mickey was unplayable. Fitzroy was immense. 

7 minutes ago, Hearts Heritage said:

He was mascot at Sat 22 Apr 1978 Hearts 2 Alloa Athletic 1 (First Division - 38 of 39).

1978-04-22-A-01a.JPG

lol Lawrence was his cousin, memory is jaded but I'm sure Darren was a Jambo growing up, although as has been said previously maybe that was just to keep his Dad happy...

Edited by corkie64

21 minutes ago, corkie64 said:

In 1972/73 Leith Walk primary school had some building work done, and kids from primary classes 1,2,3 and 4 were moved down to Lorne Street school for a year or so, I'm unaware if Darren was at Leith walk at that time, but if he was he'd have been in P1 or 2., Adam (Addy) Jackson was our school football team manager from around that time.

He was def at Leith walk P7 and his dad ran the team.

2 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

He was def at Leith walk P7 and his dad ran the team.

Soz my initial reply was meant for Masonic, and yes you are correct he was at Leith Walk and Adam did indeed manage the team for a good few years...

3 minutes ago, corkie64 said:

Soz my initial reply was meant for Masonic, and yes you are correct he was at Leith Walk and Adam did indeed manage the team for a good few years...

👍🏻

Салатные палочки

I remember he scored a 30 yards screamer against Motherwell at Fir Park.  We won 4-0 despite having struggled for the majority of the season.  Bringing Jackson in was a masterstroke by JJ.  With him in the squad, Mickey coming back from injury and McSwegan finally remembering how to put the ball into the back of the net, we really hit form when we needed to.  Could be doing with a signing like that coming in this month to get us ticking again.  

36 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Mickey was unplayable. Fitzroy was immense. 

fysass was good but no as good as wee naysmith

unreal performance man second goal was class

got lucky to conceed a pen and get a cheapo tho the good auld days when ud get the odd decision in glasgow

2 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Did he start off at Edina Hibs?  Seem to remember he was there around the same time as my brother

1 hour ago, moonraker said:

Might be wrong but I thought North Merchiston...far from sure though.

I knew Darren when he played U15s at Tynecastle BC, he was a great wee player, but tiny, he struggled to get a regular game, moved on to St Bernards then North Merchy at u18s, then a short spell at Broxburn Juniors, quickly after signing for Meadowbank, and the rest is history.

But I always remind kids who struggle for game time with there boys club or rejected at academies, that DJ was late to professional football, but he was the guy who played at the opening match of the 1998 World Cup for Scotland against Brazil

4 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

I knew Darren when he played U15s at Tynecastle BC, he was a great wee player, but tiny, he struggled to get a regular game, moved on to St Bernards then North Merchy at u18s, then a short spell at Broxburn Juniors, quickly after signing for Meadowbank, and the rest is history.

But I always remind kids who struggle for game time with there boys club or rejected at academies, that DJ was late to professional football, but he was the guy who played at the opening match of the 1998 World Cup for Scotland against Brazil

I'm sure he played for Melbourne thistle U21's before signing with Meadowbank, but yes a positive example to any young player to never give up hope of progressing. 

Guy who the Hearts fans hated when at Hibs but loved during his brief spell at Hearts.

Could really do with a signing like this now to drag us out of the shit.

42 minutes ago, corkie64 said:

lol Lawrence was his cousin, memory is jaded but I'm sure Darren was a Jambo growing up, although as has been said previously maybe that was just to keep his Dad happy...

Played some golf with Addie (even though he had bad knees) after he retired as we stayed close in Leith. I distinctly remember him telling me that Darren was a Gers supporter as a youngster during a conversation, although as you say likely changed his alliances to Hearts to please his dad lol Didn't know that Lawrence was his cousin, he was decent player too from what I remember playing against him. Think he played for Salvy or Tynnie but could be completely wrong as I'm talking about 45 years ago😁

26 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

I think my mate might have played with him at St Bernards actually. 

I remember when he signed folk going mental and I think he got boo'd on his first appearance by a minority although mind maybe playing tricks on me.
Great signing as others have said. 

Oh and that game at parkhead was brilliant, i remember my hands and throat hurting after the game from clapping and singing so much. The Hearts end was bouncing. 

22 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Played some golf with Addie (even though he had bad knees) after he retired as we stayed close in Leith. I distinctly remember him telling me that Darren was a Gers supporter as a youngster during a conversation, although as you say likely changed his alliances to Hearts to please his dad lol Didn't know that Lawrence was his cousin, he was decent player too from what I remember playing against him. Think he played for Salvy or Tynnie but could be completely wrong as I'm talking about 45 years 

I knew the family well growing up, played for Addie at School and at Edinburgh Thistle, Addie played junior with my uncle, I always kept an eye on Darren's career and had an incline he'd get there, as a youngster it was his size that held him back but there was never any doubt he had the talent Addie knew this and encouraged him to the hilt and the rest as they say is history. It was his sister Michelle that told me many years ago that Lawrence was a cousin of theirs...

I remember being in town with some mates one night, a place called The Kitchen or The Living Room (think it/they were burnt down in that big fire years ago). He was at Hibs at the time, chatted away and seemed a decent lad (for a Hibs player anyway) and he was also with Joe Tortolano and a mouthpiece called Calum Milne. Milne found out I was a Jambo and started acting the fool, Jackson told him to shut his hole and behave Joe Tortolano just stood about in the background keeping out the way. Chatted away for a good few minutes, thought he was okay. Did well when he left Celtic and joined Hearts. Berated by some folk but just got on with it.

joondalupjambo

I saw him up not that long ago up town, near the West End I think, sure it was him.  I tell you what he looked as fit as a fiddle, thin looking as ever and I thought crips get him a strip and get him on the park.  I have a mate who knows him and says he still regularly plays 5's somewhere and runs about like a teenager.  Not sure if that is true or not anyone know?

37 minutes ago, corkie64 said:

I'm sure he played for Melbourne thistle U21's before signing with Meadowbank, but yes a positive example to any young player to never give up hope of progressing. 

Ah yes, Melbourne Thistle is maybe what I was thinking.  Coach there called Sandy I think