NEW HEAD OF REFEREE OPERATIONS

DETTY29

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/crawford-allan-named-new-head-of-referee-operations/?rid=1482

Decent guy, Aberdeen fan, Hearts sympathies due to his wife's long term employment by the club.

Was the ref when Phil O'Donnell died.

Last time I spoke to him, if VAR was used at the Scottish Cup Final, definite penalty for Celtic.

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The Glasgow mafia bucking the trend of fast tracking Weegie refs to the top

The Fleming legacy may take some years to unravel.

Crawford is pally with Dougie McDonald.

Some East Coast revised structure proposals may be a little less than palatable.

Edited by DETTY29

34 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/crawford-allan-named-new-head-of-referee-operations/?rid=1482

Decent guy, Aberdeen fan, Hearts sympathies due to his wife's long term employment by the club.

Last time I spoke to him, if VAR was used at the Scottish Cup Final, definite penalty for Celtic.

I worked with Crawford a few years ago and there is no way he is really an Aberdeen fan! Hearts sympathies you say? Mmmmm bit more than that in my experience!

Excellent choice. Perhaps he can undo some of the damage done by the previous two in that post. I look forward to start seeing officials appointed to the top grades on merit and not because they come from Glasgow or Lanarkshire.

Edited by Deevers

Footballfirst

It's a shock appointment by the SFA. The Head of Referee Operations is not from the West of Scotland.   

From my knowledge of him, I can't recall him upsetting too many people in the past.

However, I'd keep an eye on the progress of his daughter Vikki, who is currently an assistant referee, to see if the family connection helps or hinders her progress (let's say she's not the best). She is currently secretary of the Edinburgh Referees Association. I hope he doesn't do a Hugh Dallas.

15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It's a shock appointment by the SFA. The Head of Referee Operations is not from the West of Scotland.   

From my knowledge of him, I can't recall him upsetting too many people in the past.

However, I'd keep an eye on the progress of his daughter Vikki, who is currently an assistant referee, to see if the family connection helps or hinders her progress (let's say she's not the best). She is currently secretary of the Edinburgh Referees Association. I hope he doesn't do a Hugh Dallas.

Since when has ability mattered in Scottish refereeing! Don't remember this bloke doing us any favours when he did our games. Quite the reverse actually.

Look forward to seeing Ms Allan doing next years cup final.

This surely can't be a move towards credibility from the SFA can it?!??!

Seriously though. I hate to generalise but the Refs are so obviously Glasgow leaning any west coast appointment would have really pissed me off (and thats a shame, being from the west coast shouldn't be an automatic question mark over your bias and credibility). I hope Crawford Allan evens out the current West coast/ East coast imbalance and starts promoting refs based on merit rather than which part of the country they hail from. 

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Yes even with  VAR it would probably still have been given but the real test is whether it would have been given with VAR if it was Sevco that were playing Celtic in the final.

4 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Yes even with  VAR it would probably still have been given but the real test is whether it would have been given with VAR if it was Sevco that were playing Celtic in the final.

Disagree to an extent.

IFAB are saying that the biggest problem with VAR in the EPL is that the EPL are not using it for 'clear and obvious' but the minute of detail, so yes however, I think the better anology would be if McLean went down under a challenge from Bain and Collum gives the penalty, what would the VAR official recommended.

Or if VAR really used propoerly with pitchside monitor, what would Collum have done in similar circumstances for either side.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Never trust anybody with surname and christian names that can be reversed

How dare you

Yours

Bob Davy

Maxwell reckons he ticked the boxes for the SFA and I’ve no doubt he did.

Affordable ( willing to join for substantially  less than market value for that position) and saves them money v budget.

Push over.

Yes man.

Scape goat when things get tough again with the Old Firm power struggle on the field and behind the scenes.

Plus no other suitable candidate wishing to put themselves up for interview for the salary on offer.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

However, I'd keep an eye on the progress of his daughter Vikki, who is currently an assistant referee, to see if the family connection helps or hinders her progress (let's say she's not the best).

Reffed a game of mines at boy club level when I was younger. 

Booked me aswell if I remember correctly! 😂😂

Remember him from under 21s. Was always quite an approachable ref, quite quiet and unassuming. Can’t believe he’s only 7 years older than me though!

You always thought refs seemed much much older when you played youth football. 🤪

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Bill Crombie was a Hearts fan I believe,  can't go any further than that 

:sob:

He certainly is.  I grew up with his sons.  Only one stray bullet out of 4 laddies was a Hun. Rest were JTs. 

3 hours ago, BEDNAR BOY said:

Affordable ( willing to join for substantially  less than market value for that position) and saves them money v budget.

Push over.

Yes man.

Scape goat when things get tough again with the Old Firm power struggle on the field and behind the scenes.

Plus no other suitable candidate wishing to put themselves up for interview for the salary on offer.

Spot on Bednar Boy! Cheap and easily controlled candidate. Perfect for the SFA. Not going to be an easy ride with the ugly sisters having their 9 or 10 in a row battle in the background. One of them is going to end up very upset. 

The_razors_edge

I did a referees course about 16/17 years ago and Crawford Allan was one of the tutors. I also worked on the same department as him when he used to work for RBS. Decent guy, defo an Aberdeen sympathiser though.

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Have known Crawford for over 30 years. Played in the same team as him. Good striker.

One of life’s good guys. Definitely a Sheepie but with leanings to Tynie. 

Worked damned hard to get to the level he reached. For me though the most important thing is the Crawfod I know is a football man. He’s played the game, stood on the terracing and watched the game and refereed it.

A wealth of knowledge and experience 

2 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Have known Crawford for over 30 years. Played in the same team as him. Good striker.

One of life’s good guys. Definitely a Sheepie but with leanings to Tynie. 

Worked damned hard to get to the level he reached. For me though the most important thing is the Crawfod I know is a football man. He’s played the game, stood on the terracing and watched the game and refereed it.

A wealth of knowledge and experience 

Cheers mate,

I was going to mention you earlier if you could confirm as I knew you played with him from your FC Pamona (?) days which wasn't yesterday.

Start 198x

:)

Dagger Is Back
Just now, DETTY29 said:

Cheers mate,

I was going to mention you earlier if you could confirm as I knew you played with him from your FC Pamona (?) days which wasn't yesterday.

Start 198x

:)

Yip. Started off as West End FC, then Pomona. Joined the Maybury and the Churches and went through various name changes.

It wasn’t yesterday you’re right. 80 something. We toured Orkney in 1988 and 1990 I think.

Let’s just say we have a fair few stories from those days buddy

I should look up London Hearts but I don't think he took that many Hearts games.

He did manage to upset Ally McCoist and Rangers as he was the ref when we beat them 2.1 at Ibrox under Sergio.

What was even better was that I watched the game on Rangers TV on a hooky stream and that complete and utter bellend Tom Miller was apoplectic with rage at the awarding a penalty for us.

I can't find highlights but Crawford warned Goain about pulling Hearts players in the box before the corner was taken.  Corner comes in, grabs at Webster I thought although the piece says Zaliukas.

Hamill missed penalty, scored rebound before Black won it with a peach.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17162927

Edited by DETTY29

10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

His dad's a Jambo and has a good Jambo mate

Thanks.

I'd mentioned his wife was in the office at Tynie for years (Hibs too for a while) but had forgotten his dad was also a Hearts fan.

14 hours ago, BEDNAR BOY said:

Push over.

Yes man.

Just retired with a nice pension from the bank, after a career at a senior managerial level.  Don't see any reason that makes him either a pushover or a yes man.  And I know of at least two other candidates, both of whom would have been excellent, and only one a weege.

Good guy. Played 5s with him occasionally over the last 20 years. Definitely Aberdeen leanings as he was a glory hunter when growing up.

Geordie Jambo
1 hour ago, HighTimes said:

Just retired with a nice pension from the bank, after a career at a senior managerial level.  Don't see any reason that makes him either a pushover or a yes man.  And I know of at least two other candidates, both of whom would have been excellent, and only one a weege.

Who were the other candidates?

I used to work next to Crawford in fact he was my boss at RBS and whilst he is a pleasant enough guy he is weak as dishwater. When it comes to controversy he is nowhere to be seen and only pops up if there has been praise. Anybody who thinks he will stand up to the Glasgow bias then don’t hold your breath he will disappear into the mist. As a referee he was the one chased back to the half way line in the hearts v Motherwell game as 5 Motherwell players were disgusted at his performance. To be fair he was equally bad with the decisions for hearts. All in all a very underwhelming appointment.

55 minutes ago, NEWSTAND said:

I used to work next to Crawford in fact he was my boss at RBS and whilst he is a pleasant enough guy he is weak as dishwater. When it comes to controversy he is nowhere to be seen and only pops up if there has been praise. Anybody who thinks he will stand up to the Glasgow bias then don’t hold your breath he will disappear into the mist. As a referee he was the one chased back to the half way line in the hearts v Motherwell game as 5 Motherwell players were disgusted at his performance. To be fair he was equally bad with the decisions for hearts. All in all a very underwhelming appointment.

Bad appraisal type post

:whistling:

19 hours ago, The Duke said:

I worked with Crawford a few years ago and there is no way he is really an Aberdeen fan! Hearts sympathies you say? Mmmmm bit more than that in my experience!

So did I. 

Agree with you, very much likes us!!!