Six nations thread.

AlimOzturk

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Nope an Englishman. We lowlanders are the real sassanachs. 

Nae Saxons in the Lowlands.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Victorian

• ri Alban

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

BBC interview. Just one more beer not some big booze up.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51433650

I read it as Russell deciding to wait for Townsend to go after a long time being unhappy. He's probably more unhappy being in a good set up in France. 

Russell's a big effing baby. "I want my extra beer - boo-feckin-hoo!"

Earlier chat about Hogg being Billy Big Baws; not while Russell's around. Jeez! Talk about someone making it all about himself and not the squad? You've got it right there in that article.

Townsend may not be all that but at least the rest of the squad (give or take) are doing their best for the team. Russell can be magical to watch but he can also be frustrating. Hastings has many of his qualities, not all, but is less frustrating. I wouldn't mind if Russell had played his last game for Scotland. He's irritated me.

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Russell's a big effing baby. "I want my extra beer - boo-feckin-hoo!"

Earlier chat about Hogg being Billy Big Baws; not while Russell's around. Jeez! Talk about someone making it all about himself and not the squad? You've got it right there in that article.

Townsend may not be all that but at least the rest of the squad (give or take) are doing their best for the team. Russell can be magical to watch but he can also be frustrating. Hastings has many of his qualities, not all, but is less frustrating. I wouldn't mind if Russell had played his last game for Scotland. He's irritated me.

Now! who's being selfish? If Scotland are better with him, take your irritation, and suck it up.

:)

22 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

A Sassanach got pelted by a bottle you say? 

:pleasing:

Except a new video has emerged and shows that the bottle was blown by the wind and bounced along the roof of the bus before falling on the member of coaching staff. 

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Now! who's being selfish? If Scotland are better with him, take your irritation, and suck it up.

:)

That's my point. Based on the last two games, I find Hastings as trustworthy on the park. I don't think Scotland are better with Russell and if he's sowing discord off the pitch, we're better without him.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Except a new video has emerged and shows that the bottle was blown by the wind and bounced along the roof of the bus before falling on the member of coaching staff. 

Can you post the video, please.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

That's my point. Based on the last two games, I find Hastings as trustworthy on the park. I don't think Scotland are better with Russell and if he's sowing discord off the pitch, we're better without him.

Scotland are much better without Townsend. I'd rather he got himself TF, his Scotland are tragic.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

If that's correct then all bets are off and Jones can do one!  Although having just watched the  vid it doesn't explain how the, now I've seen it, empty plastic water not beer bottle got on top of the bus. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Irrevelant, some idiot still threw it.

Edited by John Findlay

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Irrevelant, some idiot still threw it.

Or dropped it by accident. The world isn’t as black and white as you seem to perceive it. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Or dropped it by accident. The world isn’t as black and white as you seem to perceive it. 

Behave, the win didnt blow it. Some idiot threw it. I still think Murrayfield crowds behave far better than Twickenham crowds though.

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Don't fancy our chances against that Italian side.

Talk of Parisse playing too, as he never got his farewell game against NZ at the world cup due to the postponement, and wants one last hurrah in front of the Italian fans 

I P Knightley
17 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

Talk of Parisse playing too, as he never got his farewell game against NZ at the world cup due to the postponement, and wants one last hurrah in front of the Italian fans 

He deserves it. He'll come on for 15 minutes when they're 20 points ahead. 

I P Knightley

Just heard an interesting suggestion that Russell has shot himself in the foot as far as selection for the Lions goes next year. Not many coaches will be happy to work with someone with his attitude. 

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Behave, the win didnt blow it. Some idiot threw it. I still think Murrayfield crowds behave far better than Twickenham crowds though.

Impossible to aim and hit someone with a plastic bottle weighing a few grams in that wind. 

Impossible. 

People like you going on as if it was a glass bottle. 

Edited by Mikey1874

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Just heard an interesting suggestion that Russell has shot himself in the foot as far as selection for the Lions goes next year. Not many coaches will be happy to work with someone with his attitude. 

Not surprised. I don't think that piece in The Times will have done him many favours. I found myself getting annoyed at him as I read it. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Impossible to aim and hit someone with a plastic bottle weighing a few grams in that wind. 

Impossible. 

People like you going on as if it was a glass bottle. 

Pray tell me what people like me are.

Just said on the sports bulletin on Sky News that video footage on social media of the bottle incident, would appear to show that the empty plastic bottle was caught by a gust of wind and flew into the air and hit the English guy on the head.

If true & I have no real doubts or they wouldn't have mentioned it on the news, I expect Jones will be along with a profuse apology as quick as he was to lay blame at the Scottish fans door in the first place.

52 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just said on the sports bulletin on Sky News that video footage on social media of the bottle incident, would appear to show that the empty plastic bottle was caught by a gust of wind and flew into the air and hit the English guy on the head.

If true & I have no real doubts or they wouldn't have mentioned it on the news, I expect Jones will be along with a profuse apology as quick as he was to lay blame at the Scottish fans door in the first place.

Mind when the German guy abused Neymar at Wembley and the Tartan Army were branded racists.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Video of it is posted above. The bottle scoots along the roofs of two buses, taking a wicked deflection on the way. Sure, someone may have thrown it up in the air in the first place but it was as accurate as Owen Farrell's first kick at goal. 

Tom English made a bit of a double dick of himself on Twitter by immediately denouncing the 'bottle throw' as "disgraceful" but he's now having a go at Eddie Jones, saying that he was far too quick to allege that the bottle was thrown. 

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Video of it is posted above. The bottle scoots along the roofs of two buses, taking a wicked deflection on the way. Sure, someone may have thrown it up in the air in the first place but it was as accurate as Owen Farrell's first kick at goal. 

Tom English made a bit of a double dick of himself on Twitter by immediately denouncing the 'bottle throw' as "disgraceful" but he's now having a go at Eddie Jones, saying that he was far too quick to allege that the bottle was thrown. 

Just watched the video and that has to be an Australian boomerang bottle.  😄

Malinga the Swinga
On 9 February 2020 at 12:29, I P Knightley said:

For the love of god, are you serious! Hastings is trustworthy in that he follows his dad's pals instructions to the letter, even though these instructions are dismal and totally ineffective. Hastings cannot control or dictate an international game, he can barely run a club game, and he is incapable of that off the cuff moment of genius that separates the top players from the run of the mill that an international team require.

You might ask why a top club such as Racing signed Russell? I would suggest it is because with a good coach, he can express himself and bring qualities that Hastings will never possess, because they realise he can break open a game at any time.

Watch the first half of Scotland v England last year when Russell was following Townsends instructions and then the second when Russell took it open himself to change tactics and open the game up. I almost think it was at that moment Townsend started to resent the publicity Russell received. Instead on embracing Russell, warts and all, Townsend has tried to restrict him into playing a role that saw Scotland have a dismal World Cup and a shocking start to this years six nations.

Is Russell cocky and arrogant, undoubtedly yes. Are Scotland better with the one 'special' back we possess have, yes we are.

Is Townsend a yes man to the SRU, living on the back of one victory in Pro 14, a victory that many who watched would say was down to Russell's ability to bust open the big games.

Captain Sausage
12 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

For the love of god, are you serious! Hastings is trustworthy in that he follows his dad's pals instructions to the letter, even though these instructions are dismal and totally ineffective. Hastings cannot control or dictate an international game, he can barely run a club game, and he is incapable of that off the cuff moment of genius that separates the top players from the run of the mill that an international team require.

You might ask why a top club such as Racing signed Russell? I would suggest it is because with a good coach, he can express himself and bring qualities that Hastings will never possess, because they realise he can break open a game at any time.

Watch the first half of Scotland v England last year when Russell was following Townsends instructions and then the second when Russell took it open himself to change tactics and open the game up. I almost think it was at that moment Townsend started to resent the publicity Russell received. Instead on embracing Russell, warts and all, Townsend has tried to restrict him into playing a role that saw Scotland have a dismal World Cup and a shocking start to this years six nations.

Is Russell cocky and arrogant, undoubtedly yes. Are Scotland better with the one 'special' back we possess have, yes we are.

Is Townsend a yes man to the SRU, living on the back of one victory in Pro 14, a victory that many who watched would say was down to Russell's ability to bust open the big games.

Here’s the crux of it. Spot on. 

jack D and coke
14 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I don’t follow rugby that much but I’m tending to agree with that. Russell is our one true maverick who when he’s on can provide the moments of magic. You don’t know what people are like personally, he might be a total arsehole, I doubt it though he seems like he just needs better managed. Without him we look a machine like team with absolutely nothing about us. 
Absolute certain wooden spoon. Pretty disgraceful tbh. 

Fxxx the SPFL
On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 14:52, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Wooden spooners i think this year.

i'm physic unfortunately, we'll even get beat from Italy so disappointing it's all Finn Russell's fault i suppose or we're just not good enough.

On 10/02/2020 at 12:42, ri Alban said:

Mind when the German guy abused Neymar at Wembley and the Tartan Army were branded racists.

Threw a banana on the pitch at the Emirates but you've got the right idea. This is the second time an Aussie has accused Scotland rugby fans of bottle throwing. **** em.

I P Knightley
20 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You've got a point (or lots of them); I'll back down a little :D

I suppose, if given a choice between Townsend and Russell, I'd go for Russell.

I don't like the way he's gone about what he's done but I've just read Townsend's interview with Tom English and it doesn't put GT in a much better light.

I was a big admirer of Townsend the player but I always suspected he was operating on a different level to his team mates as so many of his tricks and flips just didn't come off. Maybe it's down to an inability to understand people not as 'gifted' as himself or to communicate his vision? Maybe he does have a massive personality flaw that sees him jealous of Russell being able to pull off (on occasion) what Townsend used to try himself. 

20 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Spot on. 

Russell is the closest thing Scotland have to a world class player. He has improved at club and probably international level year on year for the past 3 or 4 seasons. 

Compare that to Scotland under Townsend - a team who seem to have regressed every year with no real drop-off in the quality of players at his disposal. 

I would expect the vast majority of fans would choose Russell over Townsend. I'd imagine if we lose to or scrape past Italy and lose our other matches, Townsend might well be gone. 

• 2 weeks later...
I P Knightley
On 10/02/2020 at 20:24, Malinga the Swinga said:

Based on today's squad announcement, do you think that Huw Jones possibly told GT that he agrees with your post and backed Finn Russell?

Our 'must win' game; Jones having looked a decent threat (and capable of some flair) dropped - not to the bench but back to Glasgow for the weekend. There's little point in criticising Jones's defensive frailty when Italy is a game that calls for attack and players who know how to make a break and find the line. 

Really not holding out much hope now...

This could be one of the matches where many will hope for defeat to see the manager leave

Never nice to see this

Looking at this season fixtures it really could have been 2 wins and not losses but they were defeats and the question if someone else could do just that bit more has to be asked, especially after the world cup failure Townsend was in part at least responsible for

He really needs wins to keep his job and not just a token victory over Italy

Edited by CJGJ

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Based on today's squad announcement, do you think that Huw Jones possibly told GT that he agrees with your post and backed Finn Russell?

Our 'must win' game; Jones having looked a decent threat (and capable of some flair) dropped - not to the bench but back to Glasgow for the weekend. There's little point in criticising Jones's defensive frailty when Italy is a game that calls for attack and players who know how to make a break and find the line. 

Really not holding out much hope now...

I fear the worst for Saturday but then again, when has supporting Scotland been any different, regardless of what sport they are playing. In fact, you might think that supporting Hearts and Scotland is more of a torture than a pleasure, but what can you do, you have to support your country and well, I can't imagine not being a Hearts supporter.

I hope they win, I hope they win well and score a few tries and Townsend is proven to be correct, but while the forwards look strong and dominant, the backs look ropey and are perhaps the slowest and weakest in the 6 nations.

If we lose Saturday, then Townsend must be on a shoogly peg . I would like to believe the SRu have to put a stop to this nonsense and reconsider his position, but they are a stubborn conservative outfit and I have heard they are considering extending his contract to next World Cup. If that happens, then God help us.

As someone who knows very little about rugby, can those more knowledgeable advise as to whether we are dead certs to win today? Odds suggest so but various pre-match reviews suggest that this fixture can be a bit of a lottery.

7 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

As someone who knows very little about rugby, can those more knowledgeable advise as to whether we are dead certs to win today? Odds suggest so but various pre-match reviews suggest that this fixture can be a bit of a lottery.

We're not dead certs to win today.

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We're not dead certs to win today.

Definitely not, marching orders for Townsend if we lose?

We've been unlucky the last 2 games due to Hogg's ineptitude! Italy have been poor but showed some good stuff against France. Take our chances and we win, implosion, which we're capable of then we may lose. 

As for Russell, he could have been the difference against Ireland and England. 

Been brilliant overall this game.

If it wasn't for Scotland, then Italy being in the 6 nations would have been a complete disaster. They are a due another win. 

But Scotland, though still with limitations are looking reasonably good and should be good enough today. 

51 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Definitely not, marching orders for Townsend if we lose?

I'd like to think so but I won't hold my breath. I'd like him gone even if we win unless he also wins at least one of the remaining fixtures after today

After the business with Russell and now Jones left out for no apparent rugby reasons it should be a massive red flag warning that there is something badly wrong with the relationship between management and players. 

The Mighty Thor

Scotland doing the usual Scotland.

Error strewn pish with the inability to do the absolute schoolboy basics. 

Edit. Like tackling. 

Edited by The Mighty Thor