Six nations thread.

AlimOzturk

Thread to discuss the upcoming six nations. 

First round of fixtures on saturday February the 1st . Our first game is tough away fixture to Irleand at the Aviva stadium. 

Mods please move to the shed. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Victorian

• ri Alban

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Another wooden spoon looms I reckon. We have Italy home or away this year? 

Edited by iantjambo
Poster answered his own question.

I've really looked forward to the 6 nations the last 4 or 5 years. Sadly we've regressed massively so can see us getting a horsing in most games

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I've really looked forward to the 6 nations the last 4 or 5 years. Sadly we've regressed massively so can see us getting a horsing in most games

And sadly with what looks like a half decent side. Just error strewn performances time and again. 
Townsend hasn’t done a great job at all tbh. 

jack D and coke
Just now, ri Alban said:

Come back Vern!

We were slowly progressing under big Vern. It certainly looks like a mistake replacing him. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

We were slowly progressing under big Vern. It certainly looks like a mistake replacing him. 

Townsend's a tit.

jack D and coke
Just now, ri Alban said:

Townsend's a tit.

He had Glasgow playing really well and he’s a very attack minded coach I didn’t think it was a bad move personally. Maybe the SRU should have let him go abroad or whatever and then asked him a few years down the line. 
It’s not gone great, I honestly think over the last few years we’ve had a fairly good team that just doesn’t perform all too often. 

Didnt Vern quit rather us replacing him?

Please dont tell me we actually didnt want him after the progress we made.

Just now, jack D and coke said:

He had Glasgow playing really well and he’s a very attack minded coach I didn’t think it was a bad move personally. Maybe the SRU should have let him go abroad or whatever and then asked him a few years down the line. 
It’s not gone great, I honestly think over the last few years we’ve had a fairly good team that just doesn’t perform all too often. 

He binned players he should have kept. But it's too late now. What looked like a very good team motoring towards the World Cup, ended up with the wrong fuel when GT was appointed. All because the SRU didn't want him going abroad.

GGTTF!

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

He was sacked, so they could keep Boy Wonder in Scotland.

Edited by ri Alban

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He binned players he should have kept. But it's too late now. What looked like a very good team motoring towards the World Cup, ended up with the wrong fuel when GT was appointed. All because the SRU didn't want him going abroad.

GGTTF!

Yeah that’s pretty much how I remember it. 
Vern was emptied for him. In hindsight a bad decision. 

31 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

That's the worst part of it. If he'd left then fair enough but he wanted to stay m laughable really.

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

That's the worst part of it. If he'd left then fair enough but he wanted to stay m laughable really.

wasn't he told something like we want townsend and might not get him if we dont go for him now so vern you gotta go?

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
19 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Do any of their home games clash with us playing at Tynecastle?

If we get past Airdrie and get a home tie in the next round our game could finish just as the Calcutta Cup is kicking off at murrayfield , Sat 8th Feb 

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

If we get past Airdrie and get a home tie in the next round our game could finish just as the Calcutta Cup is kicking off at murrayfield , Sat 8th Feb 

Cheers, that would at least allow us to get into the Roseburn Bar after our game. Although an early KO for us would mean pubs would be mobbed after.

37 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

wasn't he told something like we want townsend and might not get him if we dont go for him now so vern you gotta go?

That is a disgrace if so. Vern was doing a great job. 

Usually look forward to it but knowing Townsend is somehow still here puts a dampner on that. 

Honestly can't understand how he wasn't launched before the World Cup, never mind still here after it.

England will win the 6 nations at a canter. Wales probably 2nd. Ireland 3rd. France 4th. Scotland battling it out with Italy for the wooden spoon.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He was sacked, so they could keep Boy Wonder in Scotland.

Was he sacked? I thought they sort of just let his contract run down and told him in advance it wouldn't be renewed. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Was he sacked? I thought they sort of just let his contract run down and told him in advance it wouldn't be renewed. 

Yeah they didn't renew his contact so that they could keep Townsend in the SRU family. 

5th if not wooden spoon.

Huw Jones back scoring tries plus but his defensive frailties don't guarantee he plays.

McNally not really wanting captaincy or even guaranteed his place.

Few guaranteed starters none of whom you want to detract from their own performance (Hogg) to give captaincy to.

Not confident.

I P Knightley

We've got the players to make a decent fist of it. Today's result for the Weegies against Exeter suggests a lot of promise. 

All we need is someone who can join the pieces effectively. 

Is Toonie our man? I think he's to good a player to be an effective coach. 

10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Skin a rabbit, how to do it in two different ways. 

11 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

If we avoid defeat to England we have the culcutta cup 3 times in a row. 

Would be the first time in nearly 40 years since we last achieved that feat.

Seymour M Hersh
19 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

He threatened to do just that and the SRU panicked dumped Cotter and promoted GT (before he was ready imho).

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

24 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Another great decision by the chinless wonders.

Exactly! Self harm and Scotland go hand in hand.

France are, as usual, creating the biggest mystery. Out of a 42 player squad 19  are uncapped with an average age of 24. Amazingly the oldest fly half out of the 3 selected is 21. 

On 11/01/2020 at 15:15, jack D and coke said:

And sadly with what looks like a half decent side. Just error strewn performances time and again. 
Townsend hasn’t done a great job at all tbh. 

Yip, he should have walked after the world cup, theres such an apathy about Scotland under him. Win, draw and mostly loose they players don't look interested.

Peter Wright on radio Scotland was slaughtering the players after another defeat.  Asking why they didn't look remotely bothered by it. Players and backroom staff giving Interviews along the same lines everytime. 

We need to start better. Too many mistakes. Not enough pressure. 

Under Townsend we have gotten use to defeat. 

I P Knightley

Now that Huw Jones is back and playing well for Glasgow, I wonder whether he'll get a run in the 6N beside the other Glasgow fella in the centre.

I like Jones a lot.

I've just watched wee Rob Burrows. Sickening. How many rugby lads have had to put up with this horrendous condition. What's going on here, it seems to be happening more.

Edited by ri Alban

Captain Sausage

Can’t get excited for the six nations, we will finish 5th. 

Glasgow have been pretty poor this season, although Edinburgh have done alright. 

You look at the best XV and it’s actually not bad, there’s also some decent competition for a few key positions. 

But under Townsend, losing feels inevitable in any ‘big’ match. Pretty depressing stuff. 

Scottish Rugby must be in some state. Noticed we have managed to get some South African laddie in the team. How many players actually born in Scotland play for Scotland :rofl:

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Scottish Rugby must be in some state. Noticed we have managed to get some South African laddie in the team. How many players actually born in Scotland play for Scotland :rofl:

As long as their Maw or Da are Scottish, I'm fine. The rest can GTF!

How many Kiwis or English played at the world cup but not for NZ or England. Rugby is embarrassing.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

How many Kiwis or English played at the world cup but not for NZ or England. Rugby is embarrassing.

They're not though. A lot of them play for Scotland because they've played for Edinburgh or Glasgow for a wee while. 

The majority of the Scottish side must be born outwith Scotland. Which says to me we're not producing many home grown talent. 

When England steal a player to play for them it's because they are one of the best in the world in that position, like Vunipola. For us it's pure desperation to put a decent squad together. 

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

They're not though. A lot of them play for Scotland because they've played for Edinburgh or Glasgow for a wee while. 

The majority of the Scottish side must be born outwith Scotland. Which says to me we're not producing many home grown talent. 

When England steal a player to play for them it's because they are one of the best in the world in that position, like Vunipola. For us it's pure desperation to put a decent squad together. 

👍 

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I can't think of any Englishmen who played for other nations but the South Sea Islands is a free-for-all for rugby nations around the world. Tongans become Kiwis, failed New Zealanders become Japanese, Fijians become English, and so on. It's farcical. 

As an exile whose sons speak with English accents, I'd be very disappointed if they or their kids were to represent any country other than Scotland. I could just about handle England (the land of their birth and the only place they've ever lived) or Ireland (a couple of grandparents) but not somewhere just based on the fact they'd lived or worked there for a couple of years.