Six nations thread.

AlimOzturk

12 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Scottish Rugby must be in some state. Noticed we have managed to get some South African laddie in the team. How many players actually born in Scotland play for Scotland :rofl:

Just have to live here for 3 years

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Victorian

• ri Alban

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Hogg named Captain. 

brilliant player and most experienced player in the squad, but hopefully it doesn’t put too much pressure on him and take away from his game 

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Hogg named Captain. 

brilliant player and most experienced player in the squad, but hopefully it doesn’t put too much pressure on him and take away from his game 

Interesting choice. I'm never sure that the 'Flash Harry' players should be captain. No doubt that Hogg will have the respect of the squad and, although I don't think it should work, we've had some success with captains at full-back in the past. 

annushorribilis III
12 hours ago, Cruyff said:

They're not though. A lot of them play for Scotland because they've played for Edinburgh or Glasgow for a wee while. 

The majority of the Scottish side must be born outwith Scotland. Which says to me we're not producing many home grown talent. 

When England steal a player to play for them it's because they are one of the best in the world in that position, like Vunipola. For us it's pure desperation to put a decent squad together. 

So why don't you check instead posting crap bantz ? 

You can't  "steal" anything - it's based on residency.

And if it's good enough for NZ* (who have been pillaging Samoa & various other Pacific islands for years) and pretty much all the other rugby playing nations I don't see why you have a problem with Scotland doing it. 

1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

So why don't you check instead posting crap bantz ? 

You can't  "steal" anything - it's based on residency.

And if it's good enough for NZ* (who have been pillaging Samoa & various other Pacific islands for years) and pretty much all the other rugby playing nations I don't see why you have a problem with Scotland doing it. 

Check you getting your panties in a twist over nothing. 

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I can't think of any Englishmen who played for other nations but the South Sea Islands is a free-for-all for rugby nations around the world. Tongans become Kiwis, failed New Zealanders become Japanese, Fijians become English, and so on. It's farcical. 

As an exile whose sons speak with English accents, I'd be very disappointed if they or their kids were to represent any country other than Scotland. I could just about handle England (the land of their birth and the only place they've ever lived) or Ireland (a couple of grandparents) but not somewhere just based on the fact they'd lived or worked there for a couple of years. 

England had the most players then the all blacks. Mental!

So who is the nominated player to get in the refs ear at the keybreakdown, while it's only the captain that ref will listen.

Captain needs to be one of the half backs or forwards.

annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Check you getting your panties in a twist over nothing. 

Oh, the irony 😂😂😂

I P Knightley
Just now, DETTY29 said:

So who is the nominated player to get in the refs ear at the keybreakdown, while it's only the captain that ref will listen.

Captain needs to be one of the half backs or forwards.

The captain can have a word at a set piece but there's not the same type of appealing and whingeing that we see from our football friends. 

Scrum halves are gobby little shites whether they're captain or not. The good ones do it well by not actually speaking to the ref but saying something like, "don't worry, lads; the ref's seen that he's a mile offside." 

But I agree with your sentiment. Having a full-back as a captain is like having a goalie as a captain; they're a bit removed from the hub of the game, so how can they be effective. (Cue someone telling me that 3 of the last 4 world cup winning captains have been goalies.) There's only one other international team that has their FB as captain - that's Russia. 

Townsend's rationale is that he's the most experience; the most likely to play every game and he's a very fine and well-respected player. I don't know why McInally has been overlooked; I hope it doesn't mean he's no longer first choice at #2. Hamish Watson would be another I'd have considered as a leader by example - and he plays in the correct position. 

12 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The captain can have a word at a set piece but there's not the same type of appealing and whingeing that we see from our football friends. 

Scrum halves are gobby little shites whether they're captain or not. The good ones do it well by not actually speaking to the ref but saying something like, "don't worry, lads; the ref's seen that he's a mile offside." 

But I agree with your sentiment. Having a full-back as a captain is like having a goalie as a captain; they're a bit removed from the hub of the game, so how can they be effective. (Cue someone telling me that 3 of the last 4 world cup winning captains have been goalies.) There's only one other international team that has their FB as captain - that's Russia. 

Townsend's rationale is that he's the most experience; the most likely to play every game and he's a very fine and well-respected player. I don't know why McInally has been overlooked; I hope it doesn't mean he's no longer first choice at #2. Hamish Watson would be another I'd have considered as a leader by example - and he plays in the correct position. 

Twas a rumour that McInally wanted to focus on his own game as his own position is at risk from Brown following last WC.

As long as he doesn't keep getting injured, Watson would be my choice.

Hogg has had a couple of barren years.  

Captaincy may boost or hinder him.

Edited by DETTY29

Agree we have issues but "IF" it clicks, we could win our home games and Italy. That's the 'upper bound'. Remember the injury list as we went into the World Cup, and the loss of Hamish Watson - a rare play maker. 

And as for the GT haters, let us reflect - he was at least partly responsible for the greatest try of the last decade.I am in the footage as I was ten rows back from where Maitland touches down - I still watch this every week.

Whats everyones thoughts on the squad? Quite a few surprises, not least Ratu Tagive. Seems like the glaring omissions are all down to injuries apart from Wilson who I expect to retire after this. 

Townsend won't see 2020 out - anything less than 2 wins and he should be binned after the 6 nations though. Which is likely.

EOUJhStXsAESiBq.jpg:large

10 hours ago, Deodato said:

Agree we have issues but "IF" it clicks, we could win our home games and Italy. That's the 'upper bound'. Remember the injury list as we went into the World Cup, and the loss of Hamish Watson - a rare play maker. 

And as for the GT haters, let us reflect - he was at least partly responsible for the greatest try of the last decade.I am in the footage as I was ten rows back from where Maitland touches down - I still watch this every week.

I was in Japan for the WC and we were clueless, lacked fight and as a union lacked dignity. Very un-Scottish.

We have gone backwards since GT's first 6 nations despite having a player pool that is more than capable of competing. We can't put 2 x 80 mins together. In fact we struggle to put a single 80 mins together. 

Jambo in Japan

Can't see us finishing higher than 5th. 6th a real possibility given how poor we are away from home. Italy are certainly not up to much but we were incredibly uninspiring in 2019, WC especially.

I'll be stunned if Hogg somehow plays 5 tests without getting injured.

I usually enjoy the 6 nations, but would be a lot more interesting if Scotland had a hope of making it interesting.

Finn Russell leaves Scotland camp and returns to club due to 'breach of team protocol'

Will play no part of preparation for Ireland game at least.

I'll make a couple of assumptions..

Couple of beers too many and he will be back or

If he's had it out with Townsend and told him he will ignore instructions again if we play as badly as we did in first halves against England and Japan...then that will be the last of Russell while Townsend still there.

Good news though.  I've seen on social media that people (Glasgow. SRU :) ) are suggesting Adam Hastings is on fire.  Mmmmm

Edited by DETTY29

jack D and coke

One of our few players with some genuine class. 
Wooden spoon awaits methinks. A couple of tankings in there too I’d imagine. 

2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Finn Russell leaves Scotland camp and returns to club due to 'breach of team protocol'

Will play no part of preparation for Ireland game at least.

I'll make a couple of assumptions..

Couple of beers too many and he will be back or

If he's had it out with Townsend and told him he will ignore instructions again if we play as badly as we did in first halves against England and Japan...then that will be the last of Russell while Townsend still there.

Good news though.  I've seen on social media that people (Glasgow. SRU :) ) are suggesting Adam Hastings is on fire.  Mmmmm

I was at the Sale v Glasgow game on Saturday and Adam Hastings was had a great game, kicked 6 from 6 if i remember too.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I was at the Sale v Glasgow game on Saturday and Adam Hastings was had a great game, kicked 6 from 6 if i remember too.

Sale U20s? :(

Good to hear though

16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Sale U20s? :(

Good to hear though

No, the 7 - 45 European Cup game. 

*edit* 

I've just seen what you did there!

Edited by Dawnrazor

townsend was a fandan as a player and is a total fud as a coach. he won games with cotters team to start with and has dismantled it to this shambles. cotter took out all the stupid drop balls, stupid penalties, arsehole turnovers, townsend has brought them and more back.

vern cotter must be pishing his pants laughing at the SRU suits, their pushing the SFA ones close. 

After Andy Murray's injury I turned to rugby as something Scotland were half decent at and I could support and be proud of.

Under Townsend we've become every bit as clueless as the football team 😭😭

What a tool Townsend is, as if we can afford to send away our best player. It should be Townsend that should be sent packing, palemerk arsehole. 

Too many beers on Sunday night at the team hotel. Didn’t turn up for training on Monday. Was told he could stay but wouldn’t be selected for the match but he decided to go back to France. 

I don't know the views of those in charge. Traditionally SRU people would back the coach. Good morals and all that. 

But who lets professional athletes drink at all. Albeit rugby shows itself to be mainly amateur. 

Beginning of the end for Townsend.

Jambo in Japan

I second the predictions of a possible wooden spoon.

A depressing way to look at it is I think it's what we need. Another 5th place with some "good performances" against those above us will probably be pathetically satisfactory for the suits in the SRU.

A wooden spoon and they might finally think about giving GT the boot. Maybe.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Why would any pro with the biggest tournament of the year about to start get rat arsed anyway. Not a very intelligent thing to do but surely the SRU have been stupid allowing this to take place and are not blameless either! 

Russell is a exciting player who can often confuse the opponents as they don't know if he is going to run or kick but he can be very erratic at times too. Maybe Hastings can be a more steady head. Could work in our favour!

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Why would any pro with the biggest tournament of the year about to start get rat arsed anyway. Not a very intelligent thing to do but surely the SRU have been stupid allowing this to take place and are not blameless either! 

Russell is a exciting player who can often confuse the opponents as they don't know if he is going to run or kick but he can be very erratic at times too. Maybe Hastings can be a more steady head. Could work in our favour!

Well it raises the question of the drinking culture within top professional rugby. 

It does seem Russell is in the wrong. And it could be he doesn't like Townsend and like the fans isn't happy about Cotter etc. 

But he played for his club on the Sunday. Should he have been training the next day? What was the agreement? 

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Well it raises the question of the drinking culture within top professional rugby. 

It does seem Russell is in the wrong. And it could be he doesn't like Townsend and like the fans isn't happy about Cotter etc. 

But he played for his club on the Sunday. Should he have been training the next day? What was the agreement? 

I just think the pride of playing for your country should over-ride any grievance with the management of the team. It just seems so unprofessional and is one reason we are behind the other home nations as well as the French. 

I am in the Cotter camp though and I still think we missed the opportunity to let him complete his project with the Scotland team as the improvement was there for all to see! 

The timing of the training for Russell seems at odds with playing the day before though!

I think the training on the monday was important, set plays etc, as the non scottish based players, Finn being one of them, would only have two sessions before having to return to their clubs for this weekend club fixtures.

Malinga the Swinga

More than happy for any Edinburgh players to miss training and games under the halfwit we have as coach. Far better for them to be rested for Edinburgh's important league and Euro thatched later in the season under the guidance of a proper coach who motivates his players and makes them better.

Townsend is well on the way to dismantling all the improvements that Cotter developed over past seasons. Horrific tactics and ill prepared for almost every match we play, we tend to lose a try within 5 minutes of the start of every game, it's no surprise that discipline has broken down as the players realise Townsend is a clown.

Scnorthedinburgh
9 hours ago, Adam Murray said:

I think the training on the monday was important, set plays etc, as the non scottish based players, Finn being one of them, would only have two sessions before having to return to their clubs for this weekend club fixtures.

He has a release clause in his contract he would not have gone home to play.

Big question is why was he expected at training on Monday?

Big euro game on Sunday where he picked up a knock.

Monday should have been rest and recuperation.

More to this than meets the eye.

19 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I'm pretty sure the bevvy would've worn off before the first of February.

10 changes from defeat in World Cup.

Only Hogg, Maitland, Johnson, Watson, Gray started that debacle. 

Edited by Mikey1874