A different perspective. The young guys perspective...

busby1985

7 hours ago, redjambo said:

Damn, I'm hungry now. Breakfast can't come soon enough.

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

Is it about eggy bread?

pair of knobs , craving that now so gonna have to make it as a preworkout snack and that means walking to the shop for bread and its ****ing freezing here today. Even the dog wouldn’t sit to piss on the grass

2 hours ago, Paolo said:

Not three?

Three lockers but only uses one....

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• busby1985

• martoon

• Mr Elwood P

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Regarding the first point, has Halkett been any better than Berra? 

I still say we need to buy more lockers. Problem solved on this locker front 😉

Yes.

16 hours ago, redjambo said:

Yup (I think it was Hickey I read about), and at the time I remember thinking that it was weird that someone playing in the first team wouldn't have access to the same facilities, changing or otherwise, as all of his team mates - it created a sort of two-tier first team, not a great idea when team unity is so important.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/1434967-goal-hero-morrison-graduates-to-hearts-dressing-room/?top

Morrison was one as well

Really don't recall anyone on here having a problem with the youngsters having to 'earn' their lockers when the initial story was released.

I didn't.

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Regarding the first point, has Halkett been any better than Berra? 

I still say we need to buy more lockers. Problem solved on this locker front 😉

Think the locker order is in the same place as the original new stand seats order 😁

Ex member of the SaS

Fully backing Stendel and like the idea of a high pressing game, days of strikers or forwards strolling around waiting for the ball to be humped to them are gone. Everybody has to dig in and get the ball back, ( stated many times, get the ball from their defender and you only have 20 yards to their goal line, get it in your own box and you have all the pitch before getting a shot off. )  however I do hope he has a game plan for when the high press isn't working. One of my biggest criticisms of CL is he couldn't change formation during a game, his subs always seemed like for like or worse.

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Under Vlad we had about 200.😂😂❤❤

I don’t think it even Vlad signed 20 players in one season, most of them were paid by Kaunas too. 

28 minutes ago, Homme said:

Really don't recall anyone on here having a problem with the youngsters having to 'earn' their lockers when the initial story was released.

I didn't.

My post wasn’t about the lockers but it seems to be the one point everyone seems to be focusing on. Brandon would’ve got the locker eventually anyway. It was more the fact that he’s injured, training alone and Stendel still made a point of making sure he knew he was part of the first team. Something that hasn’t always been the case with Brandon especially. My point was also about breaking the back of the one rule for the old heads and one rule for the younger guys. Everyone know being judged and treated the same. Very positive in my opinion. 

41 minutes ago, Homme said:

I didn't.

That's a fair point. I did think it unusual at the time, and wouldn't have done it that way if I were in charge, but not enough to comment on because I thought that must be how most clubs do it. Perhaps it is? I have no idea.

5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

MacPhee got 4 points from his first two home games though? I don’t think we could or should replace him now, I’m just concerned about how we are going about restructuring the squad.

I think it's completely necessary, Mr. E. I don't see any other way around getting rid of players to free up space for others. Brutal it may be but if it isn't done this window, and Daniel had to save us with Levein's squad, our fate would be sealed. 

The term "holiday camp" has been used a few times on here recently and it's hard to argue with. We need 3/4 players who can make an impact straight away. No guarantees, particularly at our level, but we have to throw the dice and take that gamble.

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

This is what I can’t get my head round. Levein was all about youth but it now appears the opposite is the case.

Remember back to Budgement Day and the announcement by Craig and Ann that HMFC would promote youth from the academy, not taking any risks on buying in older players. Indeed, they said they would create a coaching and management pipeline. There was plenty of good rationale in running the club that way: keep costs manageable; unearth the odd diamond; maybe not challenge for top of the league, maybe the occasional cup run - overall a few years to get the place on an extremely solid footing. 

Over the years, I've wondered whether they ever looked back to that (perfectly reasonable) strategy and actively said, "Naah!"

Bringing in one or two experienced internationals (Berra and Naismith) seemed like a good amendment to that plan, giving a guiding hand to the youngsters and setting an  example. However, what's happened hasn't made sense relative to that strategy. Bringing in glue factory candidates for a last hurrah at the expense of development of the youngsters is headless decision making; lacking the courage of their conviction. The failure to can policies such as separate dressing rooms only serves to undermine that strategy. 

Now that it's been brought to my attention, it pushes Levein a further couple of notches down in my estimation. 

Good luck to Stendel and, especially, the youngsters who we have to hope will get us out of the mess we're in. 

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Fully backing Stendel and like the idea of a high pressing game, days of strikers or forwards strolling around waiting for the ball to be humped to them are gone. Everybody has to dig in and get the ball back, ( stated many times, get the ball from their defender and you only have 20 yards to their goal line, get it in your own box and you have all the pitch before getting a shot off. )  however I do hope he has a game plan for when the high press isn't working. One of my biggest criticisms of CL is he couldn't change formation during a game, his subs always seemed like for like or worse.

Regarding having a game plan for when the high press isn’t working, whilst that remains to be seen I was very impressed with how he changed things in the Aberdeen game after Clare got sent off and McGinn equalised. 

The next 5-10 minutes Aberdeen were in the ascendancy, Stendel made a few tactical substitutions and we got control of the game back. Most impressively for me was that the longer the game went on the more it looked like if either team was going to grab a winner it was going to be us. I can’t help but feel a Levein team would have tried to cling on to a point and ultimately lose all three.

1 hour ago, Homme said:

I didn't.

Very good point! I remember reading it but didn't think it was unusual so thought nothing more of it.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Pagey said:

Think the locker order is in the same place as the original new stand seats order 😁

Another £1m for 20 lockers. 

Ex member of the SaS
5 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Regarding having a game plan for when the high press isn’t working, whilst that remains to be seen I was very impressed with how he changed things in the Aberdeen game after Clare got sent off and McGinn equalised. 

The next 5-10 minutes Aberdeen were in the ascendancy, Stendel made a few tactical substitutions and we got control of the game back. Most impressively for me was that the longer the game went on the more it looked like if either team was going to grab a winner it was going to be us. I can’t help but feel a Levein team would have tried to cling on to a point and ultimately lose all three.

👍

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

The Levein team won 4/4 at Tynecastle v Aberdeen. 

Also knocked them out the lc this season. 

8 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Yeah

While this is a generalisation we effectively played on the break.

Which is the main alternative to the press. Why more pace in the team is a must. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Scottish ways are backwards thinking and they just don't work anymore. That's why we keep getting pumped by so called minnows in Europe. No ever questions if we are doing something wrong and if they do someone like Kris Boyd will tell them they are wrong. Scottish media questioning the ways of Italian or German managers because the players don't like it, God help us. It's why we are going nowhere as a footballing country

Let’s face they never worked really, we haven’t even competed for over 30 years. 

To all you doubters and non believers why do you think DS looked to Andy Kirk for assistance in his management of our first team squad. AK and JR have assembled highly motivated multiple age groups of young prospects, all playing the same forward thinking game plan which DS subscribes too. That is in essence why those youngsters such as Cochrane, McDonald Smith Moore and Currie plus many more are easily buying into the DS ethos of playing as that is exactly how they have been coached by AK and JR over the past few seasons. In other threads I have mentioned the "Two Tactics Boards at Riccarton under the CL regime"

One board exclusively for the first team squad with the usual array of arrows and discs, with the arrows mainly pointing sideways or backwards. The other board exclusively for the reserves and under age squads with the same array of discs and arrows with the vast majority of the arrows pointing forward.

I think that tells its own story

RIP CL arise the phoenix that is DS

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

The Levein team won 4/4 at Tynecastle v Aberdeen. 

Also knocked them out the lc this season. 

That’s true. The Levein team also had us recover from 1-0 down to go 2-1 up at Pittodrie in the first game of the season after Naismith came on. Then Hickey gets sent off, we changed to protect 2-1, then 2-2 and ultimately lost 3-2. It’s the change of philosophy from defend what we have to attack and go for the win I was referring to. Overall I am looking forward to seeing the high press in action with players capable of playing the system.

23 hours ago, Herbert said:

Makes me despise levein even more.

A relation of mine was at a coach CPD event recently. CL was the guest speaker and had a Q & A with the audience. This was just after getting the tin tack. By all accounts he seemed neither up or down regarding his previous demise and knew long before it happened he’d made a mess of things. But water off a duck’s back. Could have just been bluster though. 

Seems to me like he just lost it and started to like the smell of his own farts a bit too much. And in turn, successfully encouraged those around him to do the same - with his and their own. 

I feel bad for Berra as he’s been made a scapegoat. He was never complacent - just got a bad injury at a pivotal time in his career. Whelan too - under different circumstances he could have been a great player for us. Massive shame. 

If you look at the squad objectively - it was never going to work - a champo squad collated by a three year old. 

Levein knew he’d blown it and just took the easy option by signing journeymen - thinking ‘oh well, we won’t be as bad as them..’ Just gambled on blind faith, old men, and being marginally better than Accies, St J and The Midden, but got it wrong.

I’d be really surprised if he managed at a club again to be honest. Couldn’t care less.

Handofgod2015
On 08/01/2020 at 20:06, busby1985 said:

It’s 100% true and straight from the horses mouth. He actually has 30 first team games all ready. 

Hi mate good post. 

I’ve not been able to log in for ages, but can I ask how you know this info? 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Handofgod2015 said:

Hi mate good post. 

Cheers

"straight from the horses mouth"

2 hours ago, Handofgod2015 said:

Hi mate good post. 

Cheers

Ive DM’d you mate. 

19 hours ago, busby1985 said:

My post wasn’t about the lockers but it seems to be the one point everyone seems to be focusing on. Brandon would’ve got the locker eventually anyway. It was more the fact that he’s injured, training alone and Stendel still made a point of making sure he knew he was part of the first team. Something that hasn’t always been the case with Brandon especially. My point was also about breaking the back of the one rule for the old heads and one rule for the younger guys. Everyone know being judged and treated the same. Very positive in my opinion. 

Agree

On 08/01/2020 at 19:19, busby1985 said:

Stendel pulled Brandon start of the week and asked him where his locker was in the first team changing room. He told him he didn’t have a locker as he’d only just broke 30 games for the first team. Stendel told him that if he trains with the first team, plays with the first team then he’s in the first team and told him to get his stuff and find a locker. 

Whelan and Berra may well be upset at being bombed but I can tell you the young boys are buzzing with Stendel. No more one rule for one, one rule for another. Everyone on the same page, everyone judged and held to the same standard. No more listening to the old heads calling out the young boys to “step up” whilst the old heads don’t train and don’t take any responsibility for their own poor performances. 

Stendel has rejuvenated the young boys. 

Busby - you want to confirm the 'coaches' moaning about the go-karting?  Stendel took the 'first team' go karting, the coaches, whoever they are, were complaining behind the scenes that they should be on the training ground.  IMO Stendel has had to totally bond the group again, the culture has to be changed from top to bottom, it's not just kicking a ball about, their group mentality has to be ripped up and rebuilt.

There's also Stendel creating a first team group and nobody is allowed near them, the reserve players are now kept 100% separate, changing, training, eating now all totally apart, there's now 2 very distinct squads.  Those not in that first team squad are moaning about it, those not in the first team group need to work harder, there was a large group there that swanned about thinking they were first team players, thinking they were best pals with Naismith and Lafferty (when he was there), those days are gone, they now have some sort of incentive to work harder than ever to get into this small elite group.

• 1 month later...
Just now, TheBigO said:

Let's get him in the Scotland squad. Wales and Ireland do it with lads in similar status.

I would have him in. 

He'll be close soon.