A different perspective. The young guys perspective...

busby1985

59 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Yeah, it's bugged me for a long time. What elite athlete gets told to compete within themselves, see their ability as not better than other people's, and not to show arrogance? We even have a slang phrase for it - Billy big baws. You can be arrogant with your ability without being disrespectful to your opponents. We are terrified of arrogance in Scotland. Drives me nuts. I want to see players that play with swagger and think they're the best player on the park. 

I moved to US last year and it's a massive cultural difference with sports and participants. There's so much confidence (not arrogance) and support of success ( I know there's also a superficial blow smoke up folks ass mentality too) however the general mood is a positive one compared to Scotland which is a negative one. Success should be celebrated and encouraged, not used to await future failure. 

I hope DS can get the best out of the team and encourage the individuals who have the potential to showcase what they can do. Swagger is a great word.,

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• busby1985

• martoon

• Mr Elwood P

Coburg Hearts
7 hours ago, Redhelen said:

That sounds more like Stendel, strong on team work and encouragement.  I'm a bit gobsmacked that you wouldn't have a locker if you ve played 30 times for the first team.

So am I.

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, jake said:

Wonder if Whelan had one?

Man management and recognising who he can rely on and no mucking about.

Glad hes here.

He did but it was a part time one, he only needed it three days a week.

Pasquale for King

I think the 30 game threshold might have been due to a lack of space, we have over 30 players who needed one up until the last few days 🤷🏾‍♂️😜

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think the 30 game threshold might have been due to a lack of space, we have over 30 players who needed one up until the last few days 🤷🏾‍♂️😜

Under Vlad we had about 200.😂😂❤❤

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
1 hour ago, Pagey said:

I moved to US last year and it's a massive cultural difference with sports and participants. There's so much confidence (not arrogance) and support of success ( I know there's also a superficial blow smoke up folks ass mentality too) however the general mood is a positive one compared to Scotland which is a negative one. Success should be celebrated and encouraged, not used to await future failure. 

I hope DS can get the best out of the team and encourage the individuals who have the potential to showcase what they can do. Swagger is a great word.,

Good post. Agree with all of it. Bring them down a peg or two, not get carried away etc. We have about twelve different phrases for tall poppy syndrome that other English speaking countries probably couldn't even translate. It's mental and a terrible environment for young footballers trying to become genuinely classy and skillful risk taking players. 

Bridge of Djoum
8 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yet again someone starts a foward facing thread about our manager and the dullards face the other way and gurn about the past.    Move on you tedious creatures.

Hallelujah.

Bridge of Djoum
7 hours ago, martoon said:

Levein is still there, Vic. 

The anger that many have toward his shambolic, wasteful, amateurish running of the club won't truly begin to recede until he's out. 

Wins will help too, of course, but the fact that the man who is wholly responsible for our situ still haunts the club is difficult to ignore. 

Sadly the same folk will continue repeating the rhetoric long after CL departs. Or until they find someone else to target.  This place is absolutely infested. 

21 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is it about eggy bread?

Damn, I'm hungry now. Breakfast can't come soon enough.

alicante jambo
11 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Stendel pulled Brandon start of the week and asked him where his locker was in the first team changing room. He told him he didn’t have a locker as he’d only just broke 30 games for the first team. Stendel told him that if he trains with the first team, plays with the first team then he’s in the first team and told him to get his stuff and find a locker. 

Whelan and Berra may well be upset at being bombed but I can tell you the young boys are buzzing with Stendel. No more one rule for one, one rule for another. Everyone on the same page, everyone judged and held to the same standard. No more listening to the old heads calling out the young boys to “step up” whilst the old heads don’t train and don’t take any responsibility for their own poor performances. 

Stendel has rejuvenated the young boys. 

Big thumbs up to you for starting this thread. Great to hear and hopefully the young boys have the fire in the belly now. With the way things are going these young lads will be very much involved in our way forward. 

Probably reflective of Craig's tendency to give youth a chance but then put them back to the reserves. We'd have needed a large locker room under Levein. 30 does seem a bit high though, that is about 2/3 of a season in which we don't get pumped in the early rounds of cups

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Klopp played an 18 year old as part of a team of youngsters in a game he was clearly willing to risk losing. Hearts played a 16 year old in a cup final as his second ever start. Really don't think the locker thing is good evidence Hearts weren't willing to trust youngsters pre-Stendel. Neither is Curtis Jones a good counter example given he made his debut a year ago and since then has made 4 appearances in the cup and a single sub appearance in the league.

Perhaps it wasn't clear but I wasn't meaning just a matter of playing them but making them feel included and wanted. Yes Levein played youngsters but then they virtually all disappear and if the OP is correct become demotivated. Not everyone is going to push on from initial appearances I know but under Levein it appeared none were doing so. For me the locker thing (if correct) is archaic in any club in 2020. 

7 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I heard Berra is now cleaning boots and sweeping terraces in a job swap with JB.

::troll::

Also heard they've  swapped places in the players group chats 😂😂

3 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Good post. Agree with all of it. Bring them down a peg or two, not get carried away etc. We have about twelve different phrases for tall poppy syndrome that other English speaking countries probably couldn't even translate. It's mental and a terrible environment for young footballers trying to become genuinely classy and skillful risk taking players. 

We saw this with Levein on MacDonald.

Instead of encouraging him to become the best attacking skilful creative player he could be - as perhaps the player with most potential in that position since Alan Johnston - he told him in the press that he had to become a better defender.

Keep their feet on the ground.  Why can't we have more John Lambie tell them they're Pele stories.

Dallas Green
8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Good info. 

I have no doubt that conversations like that happen at all football clubs all the time tho. 

Loaning out youngsters is hardly a bad thing, most  times it's to give game time. 

Happens a lot. 

For example Brandon wasn't displacing Smith. 

Players can fight and be bit part or go on the premise that playing at a lower level will result in more game time. 

Doesn't always work out tho. 

It's not a big thing. 

Pretty common. 

Personal to Brandon, right now he'll be happy as he's been elevated. 

Again, with every new manager that will happen with some, while others get treated different. 

Your thread is actually a good story, it's the hijacking of the thread to turn into a CL hate frenzy which is boring. Unsure if you meant for it to go that way, I don't think you did. You just posted a story from an individual that was positive. 

I missed out Clare on my previous list as well. 

If CL had Clare and Brandon in a line up 3 months ago, it was ripped on here.

Suddenly it's all good these guys are getting elevated. 

Folk that Litterally would've binned Brandon at the drop of a hat are now using this as a way to further slag cl. 

This thread really hits home how personal some are in regards to CL. It's silly. 

They are also basing their hopes on nothing but blind faith, something they accused the happy clappers of doing. 

It's fascinating tbh. 

The reason for that is because under Stendal they are starting to look like totally different players. People in the stands are noticing how much so, that's why Clare got a standing ovation after getting sent off against Aberdeen. He was getting booed in the St Johnstone game.

That is some turnaround and it is down to Stendal.

The same applies to Brandon, he looks like a different player.

8 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

The reason for that is because under Stendal they are starting to look like totally different players. People in the stands are noticing how much so, that's why Clare got a standing ovation after getting sent off against Aberdeen. He was getting booed in the St Johnstone game.

I agree but Brandon had improved before Stendel arrived. He was decent in the 0-0 with Livi and in one of the Rangers games.

9 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Maradona, like Messi, would have been emptied by a Scottish team age 15 for being too small.

When McLeish was Rangers manager, he supposedly knocked back Messi in London, for that reason. 

4 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Sadly the same folk will continue repeating the rhetoric long after CL departs. Or until they find someone else to target.  This place is absolutely infested. 

If we end up relegated, we’d have every right to.  

Voiceofreasonfortheseason

No doubt someone will come on here soon and tell us Levein still has two lockers.

8 hours ago, martoon said:

1 point from 15 with what Levein left behind is as much bounce as could be expected. 

Do you want Stendel removed? 

If so, replaced by whom? 

Craig? 

MacPhee got 4 points from his first two home games though? I don’t think we could or should replace him now, I’m just concerned about how we are going about restructuring the squad.

Scottish ways are backwards thinking and they just don't work anymore. That's why we keep getting pumped by so called minnows in Europe. No ever questions if we are doing something wrong and if they do someone like Kris Boyd will tell them they are wrong. Scottish media questioning the ways of Italian or German managers because the players don't like it, God help us. It's why we are going nowhere as a footballing country

Bazzas right boot
53 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Brandon imo was always a decent player. Injury set him back. 

Clare has been slightly better at RB. 

Clare almost certainly has improved in his time here as well imo in general. 

Neither imo are currently better than Smith at rb tho. 

Results haven't improved either. 

I'll hold back on to the congratulations on the turnaround just now, although signs are a little more positive as you say. 

8 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Scottish ways are backwards thinking and they just don't work anymore. That's why we keep getting pumped by so called minnows in Europe. No ever questions if we are doing something wrong and if they do someone like Kris Boyd will tell them they are wrong. Scottish media questioning the ways of Italian or German managers because the players don't like it, God help us. It's why we are going nowhere as a footballing country

Getting to a position of safety this season is the task at hand. I get the impression that under DS we are going to see a sea change in the way things happen inside the club from top top to bottom. Not in the least interested in what the media have to say about us. It will inevitably be negative.  Better days ahead I reckon for us and they will hate that.

9 hours ago, Deans Jambo said:

Excellent post, you've opened my mind with this. I've always believed in the "keep them grounded" approach but it's probably what's cost this nation players that can express themselves. We're desperate for goalscorers and flair players yet as a nation we despise people who "get to big for their boots ".

Confidence is massive in football and we really should be doing all we can to install it in our youngsters..... 

Its always been an issue in Scottish society, "I kent his/her faither", the classic line to put down any aspiring  Scottish person. It has some roots in the notion of hard working Presbyterianism. 

7 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Getting to a position of safety this season is the task at hand. I get the impression that under DS we are going to see a sea change in the way things happen inside the club from top top to bottom. Not in the least interested in what the media have to say about us. It will inevitably be negative.  Better days ahead I reckon for us and they will hate that.

The media spend months and months berating the state of the club but when someone comes in to try and fix the mess they have a go at that too. They love to put the boot in to us regardless, **** em all. Gorgie rules!

10 minutes ago, cameron79 said:

The media spend months and months berating the state of the club but when someone comes in to try and fix the mess they have a go at that too. They love to put the boot in to us regardless, **** em all. Gorgie rules!

It’s because the man trying to fix it, is not one of their mates. 

upgotheheads

When Halkett was made captain ahead of Smith for the Aberdeen game the message to the younger players was clear - you are the future, following up by  ditching  under-performing senior players like Berra and Whelan reinforced that.

One thing though, having a non-arbitrary 30 game qualification for a first team dressing room locker takes any guess-work out of the equation. At what point will Stendel have to go to a younger player who maybe hasn't featured for a few games and tell him to empty his locker?

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

When Halkett was made captain ahead of Smith for the Aberdeen game the message to the younger players was clear - you are the future, following up by  ditching  under-performing senior players like Berra and Whelan reinforced that.

One thing though, having a non-arbitrary 30 game qualification for a first team dressing room locker takes any guess-work out of the equation. At what point will Stendel have to go to a younger player who maybe hasn't featured for a few games and tell him to empty his locker?

Regarding the first point, has Halkett been any better than Berra? 

I still say we need to buy more lockers. Problem solved on this locker front 😉

34 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'll hold back on to the congratulations on the turnaround just now, although signs are a little more positive as you say. 

CL isn't coming back.  You need to accept that. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

CL isn't coming back.  You need to accept that. 

Don't want him back. 

CL has nothing to do with the team now, you and many others need to accept that. 

Brauhauser2012
13 hours ago, Jenks said:

Not to sound bad about the young guy but I was told by an insider at Dunfermline that Cochrane didnt get much game time because he came across as a bit of a billy big time and wasn't that well liked in the changing room.

Once you've been playing in the Hearts first team you are going to see a stint in Dunfermline as a step down and Cochrane is very young and inexperienced. Time is a good teacher.

25 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Ah yes, the insularity of scottish football. No wonder we are such a footballing backwater.

30 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

The squad looks like it's getting seriously trimmed. Maybe there will be enough lockers for everyone involved in the first team.

Brauhauser2012
32 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I think this has led to less constraints in the criticism given that our manager is not one of the club. But we have served them a media fest. Any sports writer in Scotland has been rubbing their hands with glee in each revelation. Thanks to CL. The fact our manager is a neutral though allows him more leeway to be ruthless. Decisions are based on professional opinion not on connections. 

Will DS be successful, way to early to judge or know what the future holds, however if you have ever been up to see the training under CL you should pop up and see it now under DS, it's completely different already. Much higher intensity than before and interestingly the players looking much more focused but at the same time with a smile. Will it/he have the desired effect time will tell but going by training things will definitely be different...buckle up!

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

Not really.   Just pointing out that the chronic bores insist on rehashing the same lament from the past.    It's time to move on.     I'm sure people would rather the threads that focus on the future remain on the future.

This 100%

11 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

You wonder how many truly great Scottish players over the years have been turfed because of this "too big for their boots" thing. Who cares? What is this fascination with keeping your feet on the ground, not getting ahead of yourself, knowing your place etc. Maradona and Ronaldo are two of the greatest players of all time and they're deluded, arrogant twats. 😄. If they were Scottish they'd have been sent on loan to Cowdenbeath when they were 19 to "give them a reality check". 

I don't personally know Harry Cochrane or his family. But everything points to him being level headed and respectful. There is an interview from a month ago on Alba with him praising the help he got from Paul Paton who has been the player mostly keeping him out of the side. 

The 'Dunfermline player' probably just doesn't like his confidence. Maybe a traditional 'guid Scottish lad' that has got us where we are. There have been changes in Scottish youth players since the generation of the likes of Sam Nicholson, Jordam McGhee and Jamie Walker whose attitude I would question more.  Young players work harder. The Performance schools are trying to instil more confidence and self belief. 

If you ask people in football what young players need, a lot with say "they need to believe in themselves and their ability". 

That will help. 

10 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Only team in history not to get a new manager bounce of any description...

I was a Fulham season ticket holder for 12 years.

When Hodgson took over an ailing side from Laurie Sanchez in December 2007, I think he won 3 points from his first 10 games (zero wins). After losing to Sunderland in April, their fans were telling us after the match that Brede Hangeland was the worst defender they had ever seen - Hodgsons key signing.

Finally, things clicked and we stayed up on the last day.

Next season 7th, qualified for Europe. 

Next season Europa League runners up.

Big change takes time, but can be worth the risk.

Haringshairband

I'm looking forward to our young players swaggering about (like Walker v Hibs) i think the players will have more freedom to express themselves under Stendel. I know we haven't won under him yet but I just feel a bit cloud has been lifted after the sheep game.

Just now, spacerjoe said:

I was a Fulham season ticket holder for 12 years.

When Hodgson took over an ailing side from Laurie Sanchez in December 2007, I think he won 3 points from his first 10 games (zero wins). After losing to Sunderland in April, their fans were telling us after the match that Brede Hangeland was the worst defender they had ever seen - Hodgsons key signing.

Finally, things clicked and we stayed up on the last day.

Next season 7th, qualified for Europe. 

Next season Europa League runners up.

Big change takes time, but can be worth the risk.

Michael O'Neill only won 1 of first 18 games with N.Ireland including a defeat and draw with Luxembourg 

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Is it about eggy bread?

My Mrs made this the other day. It was quality and reminded me how lucky I am.

I know how easy it is to make but it’s always nicer when someone else makes yer scran

Dallas Green
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Don't get me wrong I've always seen a player in Clare and I was a fan of Brandon before his injury. Smith is our best RB no doubt, however he has been more useful in different positions as of late too. Until Haring is back I'd play Smith in midfield alongside Irving, maybe even at CB next to Halkett until Souttar returns. While results haven't improved the performances have, that's where I'm getting my optimism from.

Also, while Clare has been better at RB recently, I think seeing him in a more forward creative role will bring him along even further.

The difference in tempo under DS to CL I think has helped some players. 

I was also defending CL to the end of his manager tenure and also AM while caretaker so this isnt a dig at the previous set up. However, rather than go to games worrying what was going to happen I'm now excited to get back to Tynecastle. This is down to the marked improvement I am seeing on the pitch from certain players and DS culling the players that weren't pulling their weight.  Results will come, I have no doubt about it.

15 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

The more I hear about what has been going over the last few seasons, the more I understand why we are bottom of the League.....

Ain't that the truth. From a greeting faced Whelan turning up two days a week to this.

10 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Yeah, it's bugged me for a long time. What elite athlete gets told to compete within themselves, see their ability as not better than other people's, and not to show arrogance? We even have a slang phrase for it - Billy big baws. You can be arrogant with your ability without being disrespectful to your opponents. We are terrified of arrogance in Scotland. Drives me nuts. I want to see players that play with swagger and think they're the best player on the park. 

It was a myth that my Grandad, no longer with us, often quoted - anybody with a bit of arrogance, swagger was snapped up by the Old Firm, we kept all the nice guys...