A different perspective. The young guys perspective...

busby1985

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Not sure it’s that a big deal. 

No problem with what he has done. The 30 game thing was their to keep youngsters on their toes and hungry. Which is not a bad thing.

We have all seen kids come through and make 10-20 first team appearances, think they are the man, only to end up at somewhere like Raith. Did Cochrane not get to the 30 mark and get his space in the first team dressing room and then end up on loan.

Only applies to youngsters coming through the ranks but also no problem with Stendel saying nah i’ve seen enough and you are one of my first team players

now. 

As for the youngsters being demotivated previously, that is understandable. I also think bringing all the players that are on your plans into the changing room will help the team circle the wagons for the battle ahead.

And if they get all billy big-balled and fail then their locker will be taken back off them and another young lad will come in.

Bigger picture I would imagine and hope is better team spirit and young guys trying even harder to get one of those lockers

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• busby1985

• martoon

• Mr Elwood P

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not really.   Just pointing out that the chronic bores insist on rehashing the same lament from the past.    It's time to move on.     I'm sure people would rather the threads that focus on the future remain on the future.

Levein is still there, Vic. 

The anger that many have toward his shambolic, wasteful, amateurish running of the club won't truly begin to recede until he's out. 

Wins will help too, of course, but the fact that the man who is wholly responsible for our situ still haunts the club is difficult to ignore. 

51 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

The more I hear about what has been going over the last few seasons, the more I understand why we are bottom of the League.....

This bigtime 

6 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

No problem with what he has done. The 30 game thing was their to keep youngsters on their toes and hungry. Which is not a bad thing.

We have all seen kids come through and make 10-20 first team appearances, think they are the man, only to end up at somewhere like Raith. Did Cochrane not get to the 30 mark and get his space in the first team dressing room and then end up on loan.

Only applies to youngsters coming through the ranks but also no problem with Stendel saying nah i’ve seen enough and you are one of my first team players

now. 

As for the youngsters being demotivated previously, that is understandable. I also think bringing all the players that are on your plans into the changing room will help the team circle the wagons for the battle ahead.

I get what you mean in a way but this isn't actually about locker acquisition.

It's about unity and the manager believing in you as much as he does in his 36 yearold crutch.

Its about lifting what has been a pretty toxic atmosphere around our team which has been festering and growing.

It's good news

7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

For what’s its worth I can vouch for Busby and the fact he has a contact

Thanks lad.

Was great to hear a positive slant on the Stendel stuff, especially after all the Whelan/Berra stuff. Brandon is now training on grass so isn’t far away from being back. 

13 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

now. 

Not to sound bad about the young guy but I was told by an insider at Dunfermline that Cochrane didnt get much game time because he came across as a bit of a billy big time and wasn't that well liked in the changing room.

It highlights just how antiquated the football hierarchical system can be.   To somehow expect a group of component parts of a team to exist in mutual respect when some of them are deemed to be of less value,   purely based on age.    Team members should be equals in a peer group.    Not separated into a bizarre system of lords and underlings.    It's got to encourage the young players that they are treated as well as the club captain and also make the senior players view the 17 year olds as men.

18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yup (I think it was Hickey I read about), and at the time I remember thinking that it was weird that someone playing in the first team wouldn't have access to the same facilities, changing or otherwise, as all of his team mates - it created a sort of two-tier first team, not a great idea when team unity is so important.

Hickey should be in the 1st team changing too bloody mad he plays in the cup final but has to go back get changed else where during the week ..

It's a 1st team changing room not a seniors changing room 

Glad stendels pit an end to that

Edited by jambocub

1 minute ago, martoon said:

Perhaps it's a matter of time before Daniel tells Levein he's free to FO. 

Hope so. 

Or changes the lock on his locker.

I think this is surely coming. Levein must be raging watching the new guy ripping up everything he has built. Don't think Ann Budge intended to punish him by forcing him to stay on but it must feel like that. I would imagine an announcement of an amicable parting of the ways later this month.

A locker!! Don’t know they’re born I was cleaning boots and picking up the shite (quite literally) from the terracing at his age! 

Stendel is everything a modern coach should be, hands on instilling his way of doing things and managing the players on an individual basis. He gave all these billy big baws a chance and they didn’t take it so **** them they should be proud to wear that jersey and if their not then they can go fling shite at themselves as far as I’m concerned. 

With some actual coaching we will see a huge difference in these young players. McDonald being sent out on loan was an absolute disgrace and I’m certain Stendel will think the same. Irving not getting a chance is another head scratcher. They have energy and skill, a willingness to play their hearts out every game. 

Washington Naismith Smith Halket Souttar Harring will remain as senior players and probably get a start most weeks (if fit) Stendel will play the young guns round them. 

A new striker and an actual goalkeeper would be nice in January but we absolutely must beat all the teams round us and get them worrying about us again. No one fears Tynecastle more then our own players and that should never be the case!

Just now, gnasher75 said:

Or changes the lock on his locker.

I think this is surely coming. Levein must be raging watching the new guy ripping up everything he has built. Don't think Ann Budge intended to punish him by forcing him to stay on but it must feel like that. I would imagine an announcement of an amicable parting of the ways later this month.

Sincerely hope so, bud. 

However, the thought of an increasingly irate Levein is not an unpleasant one. 😂

I remember it was a big thing when Morrison finally got into the first team dressing room. I think it was around the time he scored his first goal. Maybe for some it acts as motivation and keeps the young players grounded. Pretty sure I remember Giggs, Neville and Scholes talking about having to clean the senior players boots even after they broke into the team. But it's maybe another example of Levein's outdated approach. Stendel is about building team spirit and this is just another way of doing that.

Good OP. I like these titbits from the actual front line. It sounds like Stendel is a proper man manager not just a manager by the numbers.

Hopefully Brandon can kick on, he looked better in his last two outings and the injury came at the wrong time. Same goes for the other youngsters, the transition from youth to senior football is a hard one but with some proper coaching I'm optimistic.

34 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

now. 

I agree to a point but for Hickey to be treated differently to the so call experienced pros is ridiculous, he has been a mainstay for us this season

21 minutes ago, Jenks said:

Not to sound bad about the young guy but I was told by an insider at Dunfermline that Cochrane didnt get much game time because he came across as a bit of a billy big time and wasn't that well liked in the changing room.

No surprise. Maybe Stendel can work on his attitude. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

No surprise. Maybe Stendel can work on his attitude. 

if he does have a bad attitude Stendel will deal

with it I am sure - one way or another.

41 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not really.   Just pointing out that the chronic bores insist on rehashing the same lament from the past.    It's time to move on.     I'm sure people would rather the threads that focus on the future remain on the future.

Don't know like, the future still has a lot of links to the past. Levein and MacPhee are still employed by hearts for example and it's the past manager that has us in the mess we are currently in so folk aren't just going to wipe their minds clean of anything that's went before and talk exclusively about what happens now. Not gonna happen here or anywhere.

4 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Don't know like, the future still has a lot of links to the past. Levein and MacPhee are still employed by hearts for example and it's the past manager that has us in the mess we are currently in so folk aren't just going to wipe their minds clean of anything that's went before and talk exclusively about what happens now. Not gonna happen here or anywhere.

Great.    Achieves **** all but if people want to fixate on obsolete stuff then more fool them. 

So for those telling us it is an antiquated approach, can you tell me that other clubs in the SPFL don't have a similar approach to academy players graduating into the first team?

To be honest I couldn't care less whether youngsters get a locker or not. Youngsters often come in and out of first team squad when they first breakthrough so there clearly has to be some way of not moving them into the first team changing room the minute they make a sub appearance and preferably one that avoids them having to move back out of their first team locker if they fall out the first team plans. Maybe 30 games is too many. At other times this policy has been lauded on jkb as avoiding youngsters developing Billy big baws attitudes and thinking they've made it just because they've played a few games. Seems to be a simple case of anything Stendel does is great because its Stendel and he is great. If the squad is happier and more motivated that is great, although many posters were assuring us it didn't matter yesterday on the Berra thread.

annushorribilis III
38 minutes ago, martoon said:

Sincerely hope so, bud. 

However, the thought of an increasingly irate Levein is not an unpleasant one. 😂

Very much so. 

6 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

So for those telling us it is an antiquated approach, can you tell me that other clubs in the SPFL don't have a similar approach to academy players graduating into the first team?

To be honest I couldn't care less whether youngsters get a locker or not. Youngsters often come in and out of first team squad when they first breakthrough so there clearly has to be some way of not moving them into the first team changing room the minute they make a sub appearance and preferably one that avoids them having to move back out of their first team locker if they fall out the first team plans. Maybe 30 games is too many. At other times this policy has been lauded on jkb as avoiding youngsters developing Billy big baws attitudes and thinking they've made it just because they've played a few games. Seems to be a simple case of anything Stendel does is great because its Stendel and he is great. If the squad is happier and more motivated that is great, although many posters were assuring us it didn't matter yesterday on the Berra thread.

It's not about lockers. Look beyond the lockers.....

2 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

My point was more about the positive effect Stendel has had on a section of players that have been very disengaged. Brandon would’ve been given the locker eventually anyway, it was more the fact that Stendel singled him out to find out why he wasn’t in the changing room and made a point of telling him he very much was part of the first team. We’ve had a culture of allowing the older heads to be somehow different from the rest of the squad. Not training, not going to games on match days, not being worked as hard etc but somehow being allowed to criticise and tell the younger boys that they have to step up. 

Any senior player wanting their boots cleaned by a youngster need to get a grip IMO. Any manager that allows that need to get a grip. Senior players gain respect through their attitude, performances on the pitch and leadership abilities. They should not automatically be given that like any player. 

Glad stendal respects the youngsters

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

Brandon impressed me in his last couple of appearances .  Bit rash at times but most young players are .

Think he's been written off on here several times .

DS does seem intent on giving youth a chance . Perhaps may have to curb that a little until we are out of the sticky stuff 

I call him rash too but junior reckons tenacious!! 

The correct blend of youth and experience will see us right.

N Lincs Jambo

Great OP and thread. Even JKB is becoming a positive place to be around. Vielen Dank Daniel Stendel. Onwards and upwards 👍

58 minutes ago, Jenks said:

It’s no surprise he was treated like the next Messi after that Celtic game, IMO it all went to his head.

Guest ToqueJambo
59 minutes ago, jambocub said:

Hickey should be in the 1st team changing too bloody mad he plays in the cup final but has to go back get changed else where during the week ..

It's a 1st team changing room not a seniors changing room 

Glad stendels pit an end to that

This is probably just an old school Levein thing and not that big a deal. If you read footballer autobiographies, there are many tales of young first team players still having the status of apprentice footballers and having to polish senior players' boots, etc. Pretty sure Robbo was one example. As someone else said it's just a way to try to keep them grounded. Maybe the game has changed. There are teenage footballers who are already multi-millionaires these days.

Have to say I always found the 30 game thing a bit cringey.  Like some sort of men only club ritual.  Do folk really think that the thought of getting a locker is what drives the kids on?

i have a new start joining my team in a couple of weeks.  I’m not planning on telling her she’ll get her own desk once she’s been with us for 30 days.  Admittedly I don’t manage a football team.

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This is probably just an old school Levein thing and not that big a deal. If you read footballer autobiographies, there are many tales of young first team players still having the status of apprentice footballers and having to polish senior players' boots, etc. Pretty sure Robbo was one example. As someone else said it's just a way to try to keep them grounded. Maybe the game has changed. There are teenage footballers who are already multi-millionaires these days.

I think society has changed now. Less patriarchal, younger folk doing well for themselves in the internet era, votes for 16 year olds, etc. etc. I hope it has changed anyway.

38 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Would young guys no get promoted to training with the first team even if they were in and out of the match day squads?

Edited by Herbert

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Haken said:

Have to say I always found the 30 game thing a bit cringey.  Like some sort of men only club ritual.  Do folk really think that the thought of getting a locker is what drives the kids on?

i have a new start joining my team in a couple of weeks.  I’m not planning on telling her she’ll get her own desk once she’s been with us for 30 days.  Admittedly I don’t manage a football team.

It's just a symbolic thing designed to make sure a couple of games in the first team doesn't make them think they've made it. Alex Ferguson was a genius at it. He didn't let anyone under 25 own or drive a sportscar for example or so I read - wanted them to earn their wealth first. I imagine with the potential wealth on offer for someone like Hickey these days, it's much harder to keep them grounded.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Well done Daniel, I do believe we are on the cusp of good things to come, I find myself worrying that DS might think  **** this, what a mess, I'm off.   it's a long time, since Burley in fact, that I have felt this about a manager. Just he falls in love with our beautiful football club.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, jamboozy said:

Well done Daniel, I do believe we are on the cusp of good things to come, I find myself worrying that DS might think  **** this, what a mess, I'm off.   it's a long time, since Burley in fact, that I have felt this about a manager. Just he falls in love with our beautiful football club.

I am concerned that the level of negative punditry and whatnot is way over the top, a bit Cathro like when Boyd laid into him before he's even really started.

These same pundits have been saying for the last 12 months what a mess Hearts are in. Was Stendel just supposed to leave things as they were? Not change the defence or captain for example, when leaking goals and lack of leadership have been two major issues?

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I am concerned that the level of negative punditry and whatnot is way over the top, a bit Cathro like when Boyd laid into him before he's even really started.

These same pundits have been saying for the last 12 months what a mess Hearts are in. Was Stendel just supposed to leave things as they were? Not change the defence or captain for example, when leaking goals and lack of leadership have been two major issues?

It’s because Stendel isn’t British and because we refused to give the job to a media darling. 

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I must admit I get a bit concerned about the SMSM having a love to boot all things Hearts, now, I'm sure Daniel will be strong enough to ignore these trolls that would do anything to maintain the belief that all players and fans in Scotland should all wish that they could aspire to being involved with the uglies at sometime in their lives, but I always want them to choke on their words, And Dan's the man to make them do it IMO.

1 hour ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

It is a big deal though, he’s trying to change things around behind the scenes & create a different atmosphere. I’ve absolutely no problem with him pressing on with this.

I’m not sure it is. He’s promoted a guy to the first team dressing room who had played 30 games. It’s not like he has promoted a young guy who had only played three times.

As I said I’m not bothered either way on 30 games or not. I know we are desperate for positives at the moment but I just don’t think this decision is that important or revolutionary in terms of “shaking things up”. But it’s not a bad thing. It’s just a wee change he has made.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

You wonder how many truly great Scottish players over the years have been turfed because of this "too big for their boots" thing. Who cares? What is this fascination with keeping your feet on the ground, not getting ahead of yourself, knowing your place etc. Maradona and Ronaldo are two of the greatest players of all time and they're deluded, arrogant twats. 😄. If they were Scottish they'd have been sent on loan to Cowdenbeath when they were 19 to "give them a reality check". 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It highlights just how antiquated the football hierarchical system can be.   To somehow expect a group of component parts of a team to exist in mutual respect when some of them are deemed to be of less value,   purely based on age.    Team members should be equals in a peer group.    Not separated into a bizarre system of lords and underlings.    It's got to encourage the young players that they are treated as well as the club captain and also make the senior players view the 17 year olds as men.

I’m with you. I can’t see any positives in this at all 

1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

Very much so. 

The thought of it cheered me up, bud. 👍

Edited by martoon
reason for edit: Levein is to blame

fabienleclerq

Everyday we are hearing about positive changes, is this what having a full time gaffer feels like?! 

Walter Burns

Should still be standards that young players have to abide to.....McTomminey at Man. Utd  said the academy players aren't allowed to wear coloured boots only black.....doesn't seem to do them any problem......

Bazzas right boot

It's a mixed bag this. 

Do I have an issue with youngsters having to earn their pkace- no, keeps them grounded and working hard. 

Do I think this could de motivate them? 

Possibly, but if thats demotivates you then maybe football is the wrong career. 

CL gave Brandon game time, CL isn't someone who grinds down youngster's. 

He's the opposite of that. 

Hickey, Irvine, Cochrane, MacDonald have all been given an opportunity. Maybe too young. 

Souttar, Mulraney, Wighton were all signed, all young. 

At Utd he got young lads coming through. 

I don't doubt there is a different vibe or buzz around the place don't think it's to do with lockers or the way CL treated the youngsters so badly before. 

Likley just the general change and new mgt team. 

Some individuals will have reacted well, some Meh, some not so well. 

Half the folk celebrating this have spent time on here ripping Brandon and saying he's shite for months and on match day line ups CL has been ripped for picking him. 

The way posters twist everything that CL done and does is bad is getting ridiculous. 

I'm behind Stendel, as many said about CL tho, results count, so time will tell if all these changes are positive or not. 

I've always liked Brandon, think he's a good RB. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Byyy The Light
12 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

You wonder how many truly great Scottish players over the years have been turfed because of this "too big for their boots" thing. Who cares? What is this fascination with keeping your feet on the ground, not getting ahead of yourself, knowing your place etc. Maradona and Ronaldo are two of the greatest players of all time and they're deluded, arrogant twats. 😄. If they were Scottish they'd have been sent on loan to Cowdenbeath when they were 19 to "give them a reality check". 

spot on! 

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Stendel pulled Brandon start of the week and asked him where his locker was in the first team changing room. He told him he didn’t have a locker as he’d only just broke 30 games for the first team. Stendel told him that if he trains with the first team, plays with the first team then he’s in the first team and told him to get his stuff and find a locker. 

Whelan and Berra may well be upset at being bombed but I can tell you the young boys are buzzing with Stendel. No more one rule for one, one rule for another. Everyone on the same page, everyone judged and held to the same standard. No more listening to the old heads calling out the young boys to “step up” whilst the old heads don’t train and don’t take any responsibility for their own poor performances. 

Stendel has rejuvenated the young boys. 

Heres hoping they can save us.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Becuase In scotland we are fantastic at bringing youngsters through :rofl: 

pettigrewsstylist
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's a mixed bag this. 

Do I have an issue with youngsters having to earn their pkace- no, keeps them grounded and working hard. 

Hickey, Irvine, Cochrane, MacDonald have all been given an opportunity. Maybe too young. 

I don't doubt there is a different vibe or buzz around the place don't think it's to do with lockers or the way CL treated the youngsters so badly before. 

Half the folk celebrating this have spent time on here ripping Brandon and saying he's shite for months and on match day line ups CL has been ripped for picking him. 

The way posters twist everything that CL done and does is bad is getting ridiculous. 

I'm behind Stendel, as many said about CL tho, results count tho, so time will tell if all these changes are positive or not. 

Agreed.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's a mixed bag this. 

I'm behind Stendel, as many said about CL tho, results count tho, so time will tell if all these changes are positive or not. 

Amazing that a proper coach can actually improve players, eh. Craig Levein can GTF. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Amazing that a proper coach can actually improve players, eh. Craig Levein can GTF. 

Brandon was good before his injury imo, he's not long back and done well again. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Brandon was good before his injury imo, he's not long back and done well again. 

I agree with that tbf.👍