Wighton

Last Laff

A key part of our worst ever front pairing with Maclean.

Lightweight upper body and heavy legged.  Scared of his own shadow.  A handful of goals in his football career.  And Levein paid a transfer fee!

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Thomaso

• JamboAl

• redjambo

25 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Think there was some offset with Jack Hamilton going to them. 

Yes, from memory I think £50k cash changed hands 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I think to look at a typical player over their career and break down their goals per game Wighton would resemble the stats of a goalkeeper.

Not including freaks of nature geniuses like Ronaldo or Messi in that they score about 1:1 +, a striker can be proud if somewhere between 1:3. Wighton is about 1: 600.

That's horrendous, obviously made up though.

What's the real figure?

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I think to look at a typical player over their career and break down their goals per game Wighton would resemble the stats of a goalkeeper.

Not including freaks of nature geniuses like Ronaldo or Messi in that they score about 1:1 +, a striker can be proud if somewhere between 1:3. Wighton is about 1: 600.

Unlike you to exaggerate, i8. ;)

His overall stats are 11 goals scored in 139 games. Still awful, mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Wighton

4 minutes ago, Coco said:

Lightweight upper body and heavy legged.  Scared of his own shadow.  A handful of goals in his football career.  And Levein paid a transfer fee!

Interestingly enough through all the players that Stendel is either booting or criticising he took time to praise Mcleans application. He is never going to be the answer cos we got him too late but least that shows he is trying so maybe DS is weeding out the prima donas living on past glories. That may not apply to all but let's face it this bunch of keek got us on this situation so can hardly argue. Maybe a guy with the attitude McLean appears to have can help a new young striker ??

29 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

His body language oozed nervousness, too lightweight in mind and body and just looked way out his depth.  No real hunger or tenacity and it leaves you wondering how he made it in the first place?

A very unconvincing player which I doubt many Hearts fans thought “there’s something coming” in time.  

Probably understandable when the lad had arseholes in the crowd who couldn’t wait for him to make a mistake so they could get on his back.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
15 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Personally I'd be gutted. He presented our certificates at the Plot Ceremony 🤨

He's not been a complete waste of money, then.

:lol:

9 minutes ago, graygo said:

A quick look shows 64 of those games were as sub, still not great though. 

Yup.

Here's some stats on goals per minute played.

https://footystats.org/players/scotland/craig-wighton

Adding the seasons' stats up, he's played 6400 minutes for the 11 goals, making 582 minutes for each goal.

Edit: he's had 7 assists in that time.

Edited by redjambo

57 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Think there was some offset with Jack Hamilton going to them. 

at least we inflicted some misery on Dundee as well then 😆

27 minutes ago, graygo said:

That's horrendous, obviously made up though.

What's the real figure?

It's probably not possible to calculate the actual ratio because he would have had to have scored a goal first 🙃

Edited by SpikeDudley

35 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Was that confirmed anywhere or did you just make it up?

From memory it was £200k but maybe I just made that up.

Whatever Wighton cost it was a mind blowingly stupid signing by Levein!

46 minutes ago, Coco said:

He was a Levein era legacy signing.

35 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Probably understandable when the lad had arseholes in the crowd who couldn’t wait for him to make a mistake so they could get on his back.

Ah the fans fault again! He came as a goal scoring machine and we ruined him! 😖

9 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Was that confirmed anywhere or did you just make it up?

From memory it was £200k but maybe I just made that up.

Whatever Wighton cost it was a mind blowingly stupid signing by Levein!

I remember at the time there was a lot of speculation re fee for Wighton however I was told by someone involved that the Wighton and Hamilton moves were linked and a nominal fee of £50k changed hands. Think it was mentioned on here then as well. So I didn’t make it up but someone else might have done. In any case what does it matter. It’s a bit like the main stand discussion, what’s done is done, let’s move on. 

38 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Thought it wouldn’t be long 🙃

That’s totally not my point. He just naturally looked like that. Never looked convincing or assured in himself. 

You begin to wonder what wasn’t registering in the minds of our coaches day in day out while in the presence of these players?

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

I remember at the time there was a lot of speculation re fee for Wighton however I was told by someone involved that the Wighton and Hamilton moves were linked and a nominal fee of £50k changed hands. Think it was mentioned on here then as well. So I didn’t make it up but someone else might have done. In any case what does it matter. It’s a bit like the main stand discussion, what’s done is done, let’s move on. 

The thread is about the rumour that Wighton is getting binned - think we are entitled to make comment.

Not surprised at this development, has shown nothing in the games I've seen him.  Saw him score vs Linlithgow Rose, didn't even stand out at that level.

4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The thread is about the rumour that Wighton is getting binned - think we are entitled to make comment.

Agreed but it’s not going to change anything from 18-24 months ago. Given he hasn’t trained with the main group this year I don’t think it’s a rumour either. 

15 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Ah the fans fault again! He came as a goal scoring machine and we ruined him! 😖

I’m not saying his lack of ability is the fans fault. I’m saying that there are “fans” that can’t wait on certain individuals making mistakes so they can give them grief. So it’s neither winder Wighton looked nervous.

12 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Thought it wouldn’t be long 🙃

That’s totally not my point. He just naturally looked like that. Never looked convincing or assured in himself. 

You begin to wonder what wasn’t registering in the minds of our coaches day in day out while in the presence of these players?

My post wasn’t a dig at you mate. You mentioned that he often looked nervous and I gave my theory as to why that is.

2 hours ago, flem said:

To be fair, Levein absolutely loved strikers that don't score so the signing made perfect sense 🤨 

He seemed to be afraid of signing a goal scorer!

The Mercer Takeover
8 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Free to find another club.  

How strong a rumour is this?

Any background you can share?

7 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

How strong a rumour is this?

Any background you can share?

Way i see it ..if Berra's been told he's free to leave surely to feck wighton has been told as well along with others

Edited by Hearts007

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just never clicked for the lad either at Dundee or Hearts. 

Something in there, probably down to desire hunger belief. 

Believe he is a good lad. 

We need more *******s 

If we got Wighton for free, we have still been bumped. A horrific signing that sums up the quality Levein brought to the club.

I thought this was kinda old news...McJake wants him and we dont....its simply down to him and his desire to play and rip up his contract....

38 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

A source as reliable as possible said it was £200,000 and same source that he has asked to go out on loan.

Jean Louis Valois

Good. Looked like he didn't know what to do when he played, and terrified of the ball. Championship player at best

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Personally I'd be gutted. He presented our certificates at the Plot Ceremony 🤨

Me too. I made a point of speaking to him while everyone else queued for photos with Mitchell and Souttar. He genuinely seemed embarrassed to be there. Felt for the guy.

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

100k this guy reportedly cost us 

More like £250k transfer fee, add in wages, signing on fee, agent fees etc it’s well over £500k. 

Horrendous for us. A typical Levein signing. 
Good luck to him but nowhere near good enough for this division (or likely the championship)

Cheerio

Worst player in the squad. Arguably the worst I’ve seen. How we paid actual money for him! 

He will be playing amateur football soon enough. I would say unfortunately but he didn’t even work that hard so it’s probably deserved

Edited by R1874

MR INCREDIBLE
8 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Looked like a guy with no obvious position or role at the club. Kind of looked out of his depth wherever he played. 

Another atrocious Levein signing. 

To be fair to him.... Nobody knew what position or role they had. 

PS. I also think he is mince. 

maltese jambo
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Really?

Football fans in general are just itching for a hero - someone to idolise and worship...Hearts fans are no different. On the flipside of that if a player is clearly underperforming/not good enough/not giving 100% they will be called on that - and to a certain extent rightly so.

Never make it in football. 

The guy looks scared of his own shadow. 

What the maestro ever saw in him to splash 200k god only knows. 

Another disaster of a signing. 

8 minutes ago, maltese jambo said:

Really?

Football fans in general are just itching for a hero - someone to idolise and worship...Hearts fans are no different. On the flipside of that if a player is clearly underperforming/not good enough/not giving 100% they will be called on that - and to a certain extent rightly so.

Yes, but we’ve got a habit of giving players little or no time whatsoever. Christ, we had people writing him off before he even kicked a ball.

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Aye I think it was between 20-50k cash in offset with Jack Hamilton 

9 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Never looked like a Hearts player 

Apart from Levein and perhaps AM who ever believed he did?

Its not like he failed to live up to past performances / potential. He wasn't much of a player before us either. It was a bizarre signing and the fact we paid cash made it worse. Not blaming him for jumping at the chance to join us mind you.

Hope it works out well for him elsewhere but i think he will no doubt have to drop a level to find football.