Will Naismith be the next to be told he can go?

Martin_T

portobellojambo1

When he plays Naismith does make a big difference to us. However, for the remainder of this season the manager needs players he can count on to actually play, players like Naismith, Walker, Souttar, and Haring, for example. If he finds that he cannot count on them for the duration then you have to accept that they may be asked to leave, or given some form of ultimatum (such as being told they have no future and will be kept with the reserves/youths for training purposes) which might encourage them and their agents to look for alternatives. We simply cannot afford to have a large squad but only a percentage of them available for selection regularly.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Martin_T

• wattie exploited

• Bking9

Fozzyonthefence
19 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Naismith, when FULLY fit, could still play in the English Premier League.  We’ll be keeping him I think.

Not sure about that, he couldn’t get a game for Norwich in the Championship!

Guest ToqueJambo

If folk are trying to talk down possibly the best signing I can remember outwith the Romanov years, in terms of the stature and quality of the player when we got him, there's no hope for us! Literally no signing will make some of our support happy. I genuinely couldn't believe we got him. He's a first choice Scotland pick even just coming back from injury, ahead of a 20m EPL player, and could absolutely still play for a lower EPL team.

32 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not sure about that, he couldn’t get a game for Norwich in the Championship!

Would have to agree, he's a good player up here...

2 hours ago, jambopilms said:

SN and others will get less injury's due to professional conditioning and training that weren't adopted by the old bunch of frauds. I expect to see him more the next few months.

Excellent point.  We have to stop judging anything on the previous coaching regime which Stendel described as shambolic.

Ann Budge described the whole place as shambolic when she took over.  What a shame she made such a monumental blunder in appointing levein then sticking with him for so long.

I wonder what levein actually does now?  Think we heard he comes in for the afternoons but to do what?  Showing Stendel round the place was one duty.  Imo that was another mistake.

Despite all this, I'm not blaming AB.  She's been great for us but not when it comes to levein.

Dallas Green
2 hours ago, Prof said:

Naismith did say he didn’t join Hearts to take part in a relegation battle.

What he said was;

“I didn’t come here for a relegation fight but we are all to blame. We have time to rectify that,”

So by adding on the end, what he actually said, changes what you posted.

Edited by Dallas Green

there isn’t a hope in hell’s chance that Stendel would reject Naismith for any other reason other than his overall fitness or injuries which may prevent him from playing 

No chance Naismith will be told he can go

If/when fit, he may be the difference in keeping us in this league. I reckon Stendel will like his style as he is one of a few players who presses and closes down with urgency. (Suits a high pressing style) He is also the kind of leader we need and that Stendel will be looking for on the pitch

alicante jambo
7 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

What he said was;

“I didn’t come here for a relegation fight but we are all to blame. We have time to rectify that,”

Spot on with your post. Well said.

Jambojames1874123
7 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Naismith, when FULLY fit, could still play in the English Premier League.  We’ll be keeping him I think.

Were you Leveins chief scout? Outrageous. 

2 minutes ago, hueyview said:

12 hours ago, Prof said:

Naismith did say he didn’t join Hearts to take part in a relegation battle.

Using selective parts of a quote he also said he didn’t join Hearts

I reckon the amount of  wage saved by Naismith's departure, could be a major reason in whether he stays or goes.

There will be an amount needed, and identified to replenish the squad over the new few weeks..

2 minutes ago, hueyview said:

I reckon the amount of  wage saved by Naismith's departure, could be a major reason in whether he stays or goes.

There will be an amount needed, and identified to replenish the squad over the new few weeks..

We would have to shell out for remainder of his contract in some sort of way if he leaves though. 😏

Reckon that wouldn't be cheap. 

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

13 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

What he said was;

I stand corrected but must admit the only bit I heard was the first phrase which worried me.

Bazzas right boot

The difference with Naismith and the others is that he's a match winner. 

If he's injured, no one will touch him. 

Either way, I'd say he's staying. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Using selective parts of a quote he also said he didn’t join Hearts

😂😂

Dallas Green
3 hours ago, Prof said:

I stand corrected but must admit the only bit I heard was the first phrase which worried me.

That's fair enough 👍

portobellojambo1
19 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

there isn’t a hope in hell’s chance that Stendel would reject Naismith for any other reason other than his overall fitness or injuries which may prevent him from playing 

I suspect that if players like Naismith and Walker, for example, were going to leave they would already be amongst those names announced. Jamie Walker hasn't been playing recently due to a discussion he had with Stendel, by all accounts, in which he said he had been getting selected while unfit, Stendel is now leaving him out to get him fully fit. I think we won't see Naismith again until he and the club believe he is 100% ready to come back. These are the sort of players we should get more out of once Stendel's style of play has been fully adopted and attacking players are getting the chance to attack. The new assistant manager has just come in from Germany and he should have a better idea of younger players playing there who he thinks are ready to slot straight in at the moment, I'm looking forward to see who the squad is supplemented with this month. Would be a huge boost as well if he can get confidence back into Harry Cochrane and get him playing how we know he can play best.

Edited by portobellojambo1

SomethingAboutObua

Would expect he's staying with the announcement Mulraney is transfer listed and Wighton is free to move on, would have expected Naismith to have been made available before either of them.

That said, I know every SPFL player nowadays "has a price", but I imagine every single player not announced is available for any close to reasonable transfer fee right now. We're binning the guys Stendel flat out doesn't want, but I expect everyone else will still be available and we'll listen to any offers put forward for a one-in-one-out transfer policy.

10 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I suspect that if players like Naismith and Walker, for example, were going to leave they would already be amongst those names announced. Jamie Walker hasn't been playing recently due to a discussion he had with Stendel, by all accounts, in which he said he had been getting selected while unfit, Stendel is now leaving him out to get him fully fit. I think we won't see Naismith again until he and the club believe he is 100% ready to come back. These are the sort of players we should get more out of once Stendel's style of play has been fully adopted and attacking players are getting the chance to attack. The new assistant manager has just come in from Germany and he should have a better idea of younger players playing there who he thinks are ready to slot straight in at the moment, I'm looking forward to see who the squad is supplemented with this month. Would be a huge boost as well if he can get confidence back into Harry Cochrane and get him playing how we know he can play best.

Good rationale in your post

I honestly feel that we are at a turning point now. Changes are happening and at a fast rate of knots but this has to happen. I have a lot of faith in DS and just hope we can unite as one and give him the support he needs 

Interesting points you make re Walker and Naisy. This would make sense. Will be interesting to see what happens with Cochrane moving forward.

Alex Kintner

Stendel and Naismith have met to discuss his training schedule and fitness. The excuse “but I stay 80 minutes away” was used and dismissed from what I understand.

portobellojambo1
6 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Good rationale in your post

I honestly feel that we are at a turning point now. Changes are happening and at a fast rate of knots but this has to happen. I have a lot of faith in DS and just hope we can unite as one and give him the support he needs 

Interesting points you make re Walker and Naisy. This would make sense. Will be interesting to see what happens with Cochrane moving forward.

It was always going to be the case that the full squad wouldn't remain as was. For the remainder of this season the manager only has one thing that needs to be achieved, and that is finishing the season still in this league. The style of play does suggest defence minded players will have to be a lot more mobile and comfortable with the ball at their feet (able to use it well) and it hasn't taken him long to realise neither Christophe nor Glenn Whelan fit into that category of player. Its probably one of the reasons I try not to get too attached to individual players in the team as such, they will eventually move on one way or another, but the team as a whole will continue to exist.

Edited by portobellojambo1

pettigrewsstylist

5 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Stendel and Naismith have met to discuss his training schedule and fitness. The excuse “but I stay 80 minutes away” was used and dismissed from what I understand.

Needs to be, as he seems incapable of recovering under current arrangements.

SN will need to decide if new regime is to his liking. Suspect if he offers us an out, we will take it. 

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

I understand it was a better conversation than the one he had with Whelan  :)

12 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

I suppose the issue here is what is written in his contract and what was a verbal agreement with Levein.

11 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It was always going to be the case that the full squad wouldn't remain as was. For the remainder of this season the manager only has one thing that needs to be achieved, and that is finishing the season still in this league. The style of play does suggest defence minded players will have to be a lot more mobile and comfortable with the ball at their feet (able to use it well) and it hasn't taken him long to realise neither Christophe nor Glenn Whelan fit into that category of player. Its probably one of the reasons I try not to get too attached to individual players in the team as such, they will eventually move on one way or another, but the team as a whole will continue to exist.

I came to the realisation with Stendel very quickly that he won’t deviate from his preferred way of playing and do what a lot of managers do in that they will adapt, modify and change formations/tactics and by means of trying to achieve set goals/objectives 

It really comes down to the fact as supporters that you either try and buy into what Stendel is doing or that you would want someone else who would adapt and change things and evolve as time goes on 

Some might say having all your eggs in the one basket is risky but I personally believe it will lead to more consistency.

Attack is the best form of defence in my own opinion and if we can be consistent this will lead to better results on the park.

As you said, getting too attached to any individual players may not be the best idea as long as we have Stendel at the helm. There is a ruthless streak about this guy and no question, he won’t shirk from hard and fast decisions 

Personally, and given where we were, I have no issues with what he is doing and how he is going about things.

kingantti1874

I really hope the above is not true but sadly I suspect it is, if Steven Naismith signed for say Rangers, does anyone thing he’d ask to train on his own a few days a week? 

i think we all know the answer to that.. I get the impression some players think they have done hearts a favour.. 

sick of it tbh, be at every training session, play every game you can or leave.. he’s our best player, in fact the best player in country outside Glasgow so I hope he chooses the former

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The only player "announced" so far is whelan

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I really hope the above is not true but sadly I suspect it is, if Steven Naismith signed for say Rangers, does anyone thing he’d ask to train on his own a few days a week? 

i think we all know the answer to that.. I get the impression some players think they have done hearts a favour.. 

sick of it tbh, be at every training session, play every game you can or leave.. he’s our best player, in fact the best player in country outside Glasgow so I hope he chooses the former

Yeah he’s been allowed to get away with basically turning up when he wants tbh and it feels like we’re his part time job. 
Im sorry - and it’s not his fault that was what the agreement was - but get that shite in the bin. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah he’s been allowed to get away with basically turning up when he wants tbh and it feels like we’re his part time job. 
Im sorry - and it’s not his fault that was what the agreement was - but get that shite in the bin. 

👏

The thing about Naismith is, of we get him for for 5 games, especially those against the teams around us, I'd wager we'd win at least 3 of them. 

Even 5 games could be the difference. I'd keep him, even if his fitness wasn't guaranteed.

queensferryjambo

I really hope he doesn't go. If he can get fit (I know big ask and bigger staying fit) he is without doubt our best player.

We really need Naismith for the second half of the season.

alicante jambo
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He'll come good and so will Hearts after the winter break.

Hope your right buddy. He is different class when fit. Hopefully he buys in with what our new manager wants. Massive changes at our club now. A lot of people feeling much happier some of the dead wood is going or have gone. Mon the jambos.

On 08/01/2020 at 04:06, wattie exploited said:

probably the highest paid player at the club  :rifle:

For a reason, best player at the club 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He'll come good and so will Hearts after the winter break.

I’m with you in this one . Because if he doesn’t , his career is finished , and he will know that  

The Treasurer

I've thought for a while now that this "working from home" arrangement with Naismith has contributed in some way to his fitness issues.

I'm not saying for one minute that he doesn't follow the training programme given, he's way too professional for that, but I feel not being involved with the rest of the squad on a daily basis can only have a negative effect.

If, as has been indicated, Stendel has changed that then I can only see a benefit for both club and player.

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, fila said:

For a reason, best player at the club 

for sure but no good to us when he has played hardly any games this season :rifle:

3 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

for sure but no good to us when he has played hardly any games this season :rifle:

Injuries have been unfortunate,he is our best player,hopefully we can get him playing again. He has 3.5yr contract left,difficult situation.

wattie exploited
37 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Injuries have been unfortunate,he is our best player,hopefully we can get him playing again. He has 3.5yr contract left,difficult situation.

don,t think he will stay if we go down there is no chance of him staying then :rifle:

1 minute ago, wattie exploited said:

don,t think he will stay if we go down there is no chance of him staying then :rifle:

That would be his perogative.

2 minutes ago, ford donald said:

That would be his perogative.

naw naw, thats Bobby Browns !!

pettigrewsstylist
18 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

The thing about Naismith is, of we get him for for 5 games, especially those against the teams around us, I'd wager we'd win at least 3 of them. 

Even 5 games could be the difference. I'd keep him, even if his fitness wasn't guaranteed.

I doubt he would manage to finish 3 of them. 

He's our best player, and if fit will be in the Scotland squad for the upcoming play-offs.  He's going nowhere, but his cosy part-time training routine is at an end.

3 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

He's our best player, and if fit will be in the Scotland squad for the upcoming play-offs.  He's going nowhere, but his cosy part-time training routine is at an end.

Would be the least bit surprised if that wee cosy routine of his contributed to his injuries. I guess we will see.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Interesting one. 

Everyone seems to think Naismith is calling the shots I have spoken to. 

Those international games are undoubtedly a motivation but beyond that he still needs to be relevant. 

Disappointing endings at Norwich and then Hearts,  even at the late stage of his career,  I'm confident he won't want. 

I don't doubt he has injuries,  but I would ask if he could have played more games,  that is a doubt. I think we will see a recovery and peace for a while