Will Naismith be the next to be told he can go?

Martin_T

Dallas Green

I doubt he will be leaving next.

He is the type of player that will fit into DS style.

DS might have issues with his injuries but there is no way Naismith is walking away from the contract and there is no way we will pay it up for him to leave.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Martin_T

• wattie exploited

• Ainsley Harriott

2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Try looking at it this way?

Imagine SN hadn’t signed for us when he did. Fast forward to now, bottom of the league in a relegation battle and struggling to score goals.

SN is available and we can sign him.

Would we be happy to take him?

I think the answer is yes.

No use to us if he's constantly sitting on his arse not playing though, is he. 

Bobby Tomaschek

I don’t think he’ll leave, but mainly because he’s our best hope of a goal, makes a huge improvement on the team as a whole when he plays and seems like the kind who would fit well in DS’ style of football. 

None of us know what’s in his contract, so we can’t say with any certainty that we’d have to pay up the remaining years if we wanted to release him. But for footballing reasons I think he’ll stay.  Now he just needs to get and stay fit...

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

I thought a new thread was worth it given its a specific question but by all means merge if appropriate.

Speculation and discussion is what a message board is for is it not?

Exactly! It's valid thread in my opinion 

I'm not sure Stendel will want one of his senior players not training with the squad everyday and therefore wouldn't surprise me if he goes.

Reckon it'll be the summer and not in January though.

8 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Imagine SN hadn’t signed for us when he did. Fast forward to now, bottom of the league in a relegation battle and struggling to score goals.

I'd think yes, then I'd Google him and id think to myself, nah he can't stay fit look and look elsewhere. 

Think most of us hope that he will come good and come back to full fitness and manage a run of games. It's hope rather that expectancy though.

Stendel has already said he rates him highly, I can't see him letting him go unless he refuses to train full time with the squad (if he wasn't already) or something daft like that

Naismith has got himself a great wee retirement fund here at Hearts. A 4 year deal for an injury prone 33 year old who wanted to come back to Scotland for his family, he must have bit Craig Levein's hand off. Not to mention that he will probably be the highest paid player at the club.

There is no chance Naismith is walking away from that contract any time soon.

Adam_the_legend

Best player we have but if he’s always injured that means nothing. Not sure how we would move him on though, with his injury record and salary requirements he’s unlikely to agree to cancel his contract. 

Adam_the_legend
24 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Is this the Naismith who keeps breaking down and is almost never available for selection? Not sure any club would find that attractive 

Hasn't stendhal already said when he arrived he was impressed with naismith's attitude with the younger players & couldn't wait to see him play when fully fit? Or something along those lines. 

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

With Whelan gone and Berra told he can go. Where does that leave Naismith?

He's obviously a great player and lifts the level of the team when he plays, but the problem is that he is regularly unavailable and it may be Stendel's perception that if it's possible to move him on, given that he is probably one of our high earners, that the budget can be better spent elsewhere.

He is a great player, he was the standout in the last Scotland squad.Yes he's also injury prone -at the moment- but you can bet that if he left then we would find that he recovers his fitness and we would have taken all the pain with none of the gain.

On his day he's one of the best players in Scotland so we must keep him. 

Just now, chubby1973 said:

Hasn't stendhal already said when he arrived he was impressed with naismith's attitude with the younger players & couldn't wait to see him play when fully fit? Or something along those lines. 

Will he ever be fully fit again though?

HillmanHearts

Great player - Great influence on pitch - so in our position we keep him.

A decent amount of game time from now in would be a massive factor in us turning this around.

Important that he not only stays fit but that he also buys into Stendel.

However if it carries on with the bit-part occasional half fit appearances - then all parties would need to review the position at the end of this season.

Ibrahim Tall

If Naismith is fit he’s basically perfect for DS’ tactics to be honest. His entire careers been made out of being a pressing forward, he’s not a Kris Boyd type. His whole game is based on work rate and being mobile.

Its a big IF lately admittedly..

I remember years ago when we were in a relegation battle, Colin Cameron was injured for most of the season.  He came back, we were suddenly miles better and relegation was avoided quite comfortably in the end.  Naismith might end up being like that.  He's easily our best player when fit and it'll be worth going through this frustration if he can get back to where he was 18 months ago.

1 hour ago, smiler said:

No use to us if he's constantly sitting on his arse not playing though, is he. 

On a long contract.

Captain Canada

I don't think so. Stendel has spoken a bit about leadership qualities and SN has those in abundance. Hopefully he can stay fit and help fire us up the table after the break. 

I’m sure Stendel knows that if he can get Naismith fit -& keep him fit, we have one of the best players in the league. 

2 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

yeah lets all have a go at Naismith  ! if he gets him self fit he is a great player to have I would  leave it to the manager to decide if he stays or goes as he will be looking at all the players and deciding who to keep and who to get rid off so either way its a win win as great if he is fit but if not get rid and get someone else in with the money we could save :rifle:

Hopefully he is fit to play as ‘getting rid’ of someone wigh 3.5 years left on their contract is neither easy or cheap. 

We_are_the_Hearts

Now that he has to turn up at training every day compared to when he wants we may see him getting fitter or at least know why not

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

I’m sure Stendel knows that if he can get Naismith fit -& keep him fit, we have one of the best players in the league. 

7 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Now that he has to turn up at training every day compared to when he wants we may see him getting fitter or at least know why not

Absolutely, the holiday camp,  play things safe , cotton wool mentality is being burned. 

I hope we see some change in mindset 

jack D and coke

I’m sure SN will get a little longer to prove some worth. 
If (and it’s becoming quite a big if) we can get him fit he’s probably first name on the team sheet atm. 
However he’s not a Hearts man and recently I’ve been questioning his commitment I’ll be honest. I wouldn’t be arsed if he was told as well as long as we could get someone decent in his place.  We need a fully committed and fit squad for this run in. An injured SN isn’t worth a sook and he’ll be out of here like shite off a shovel if we go down. 

Pants Shaton

I think it would be bold, bordering on insane, to ditch a player who, WHEN FIT*, is capable of more than almost any player in our league.

*I realise this is the elephant in the room 

4 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I think White or Damour will be next to get that message 

White definitely. 

Damour might be harder to shift thanks to the 4 year deal he got from you know who. 😏

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m sure SN will get a little longer to prove some worth. 
If (and it’s becoming quite a big if) we can get him fit he’s probably first name on the team sheet atm. 
However he’s not a Hearts man and recently I’ve been questioning his commitment I’ll be honest. I wouldn’t be arsed if he was told as well as long as we could get someone decent in his place.  We need a fully committed and fit squad for this run in. An injured SN isn’t worth a sook and he’ll be out of here like shite off a shovel if we go down. 

If his commitment is in question a big German boot will be heading for his jacksie. 

5 hours ago, Longshanks said:

I think if we were able to cut our losses and get rid of Naismith we would do it.

No use having a player that manages 45mins a month.  Sure he will put in a brilliant display against Airdrie and then be out again until the Scotland games. 

His wages could be much better spent on a couple of lesser quality players that are actually able to play a few games of football.  I wish it would work out as he is a quality player but he is useless to us like this.

Unfortunately I can't see him walking away from 3 years worth of money so I just hope he can get over the injury problems and actually help us move away from bottom position. 

This

wattie exploited
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Hopefully he is fit to play as ‘getting rid’ of someone wigh 3.5 years left on their contract is neither easy or cheap. 

probably the highest paid player at the club  :rifle:

Keep up, Martin T, that was last week. He’s back in training so he’s our saviour again.

FWIW I just can’t see him staying fit long enough to help us stay up. 

Not a chance he will be leaving now.  If he continues to be injury prone however I think he'll ask to be relieved of his contract and retire.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

People suggesting Damour I think are wrong. 

He's definitely shown something at Cardiff that would suggest he is far from irretrievable. 

Agree we have not seen it yet but 3.5 years left unless Damour is unhappy with life,  I think he will be persevered with. 

Uche and White could well be next, along with a keeper and Wighton 

Guest ToqueJambo

I think I'd rather keep a guy who is widely accepted to be Scotland's best chance of qualifying for the Euros. If it looks like he's finished physically then he'll retire. Otherwise we should get as many games as we can out of him. He's a Skacel level player in terms of how he can transform games for us.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

People suggesting Damour I think are wrong. 

He's definitely shown something at Cardiff that would suggest he is far from irretrievable. 

Agree we have not seen it yet but 3.5 years left unless Damour is unhappy with life,  I think he will be persevered with. 

Uche and White could well be next, along with a keeper and Wighton 

I still find White a bit of a mystery. He's looked solid in some games but no more than that really. He is very cheap though and we gave him the chance to keep playing so he should be motivated. I'd keep as left-sided back-up, especially if Mulraney's off. Would also keep Wighton. Cheap, can play in a few forward positions and is young enough to be developed. Undecided about Uche. I still think he'd do well wide right in a front three with the pressing game.

SN and others will get less injury's due to professional conditioning and training that weren't adopted by the old bunch of frauds. I expect to see him more the next few months.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I still find White a bit of a mystery. He's looked solid in some games but no more than that really. He is very cheap though and we gave him the chance to keep playing so he should be motivated. I'd keep as left-sided back-up, especially if Mulraney's off. Would also keep Wighton. Cheap, can play in a few forward positions and is young enough to be developed. Undecided about Uche. I still think he'd do well wide right in a front three with the pressing game.

Whites always been a talented but fragile player. The fragility then affects his confidence. 

At Leeds as a youngster he looked pretty decent, but strength has not been his friend 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Whites always been a talented but fragile player. The fragility then affects his confidence. 

At Leeds as a youngster he looked pretty decent, but strength has not been his friend 

Yeah, I don't have a strong opinion of him to be honest. For some reason I'm convinced Wighton might come good though, as Clare looks like he might.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah, I don't have a strong opinion of him to be honest. For some reason I'm convinced Wighton might come good though, as Clare looks like he might.

I hoped Wighton had raw ability,  but sands of time are running thin.

Stendel will have witnessed players now in the top 2 tiers in Germany,  2nd and third in England. 

I reckon he will have a good gauge on who might make it and who is unable or past it as in Berras demise 

scott herbertson

Our best player, and the guy who makes a huge difference to our win ratio, and who will cost us an absolute fortune to 'get rid of', thus probably preventing us signing anyone else all season?

I'm out.

9 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

I doubt he will be leaving next.

He is the type of player that will fit into DS style.

DS might have issues with his injuries but there is no way Naismith is walking away from the contract and there is no way we will pay it up for him to leave.

Naismith did say he didn’t join Hearts to take part in a relegation battle.