Building the Forth Bridge

sadj

Cracking documentary on channel 5 just now about the building of the rail bridge. Well worth catching on catch up 👍🏻

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homme

• been here before

• The Real Maroonblood

• sadj

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, sadj said:

Cracking documentary on channel 5 just now about the building of the rail bridge. Well worth catching on catch up 👍🏻

Thanks for the heads up.

been here before

Aye its alright I remember watching it when it was first on.

Im recording it again as coincidently I just finished reading this a couple of days ago..

9781862079403-10-000_1.jpg.ec0c7e721f46d276f2750fc5e5d6b15e.jpg

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Thanks for the heads up.

lot of stuff that I wasn’t aware of about the bridge and its construction. Thought it was interesting 👍🏻

Just now, been here before said:

Aye its alright I remember watching it when it was first on.

Im recording it again as coincidently I just finished reading this a couple of days ago..

9781862079403-10-000_1.jpg.ec0c7e721f46d276f2750fc5e5d6b15e.jpg

Looks interesting will check it out 👍🏻

been here before
9 minutes ago, sadj said:

Looks interesting will check it out 👍🏻

Its alright, interesting in places but a bit dry and technical at times. The same story could have been told in half the book. I wouldnt recommend paying full price for it- abebooks would be your friend here.

I often keep books to read a 2nd time. Ill not bother with this though.

Anyone remember the rivet from the bridge that used to hang above the urinals in the central library toilets?   It was there fir years and some dirty swine swiped it in the late 90s early 00s.  

I'm it's Asset Engineer for NWR. 

Absolute pleasure to work on / manage. I'm just one single guy in its amazing history though. 

Edited by Homme

been here before
10 minutes ago, Homme said:

Absolute pleasure to work on / manage. I'm just one single guy in its amazing history though. 

Do you get to climb it and walk along the top?

If so can I have a shot? Or an old rivet.

Edited by been here before

Just now, been here before said:

I'm personally not an abseiler so dont climb it as such but I'm up the top of it weekly via the maintenance hoist. 

Always plenty rivets kicking about! 

4 minutes ago, Homme said:

I'm personally not an abseiler so dont climb it as such but I'm up the top of it weekly via the maintenance hoist. 

feel free to fire a couple rivets this way. That would be an amazing gift to give my dad for his birthday. Just the sheer historical significance of it. What a brilliant job to have. You need to get some pics up of the views you get too. The bridge is my finally im home thing soon as you are on it I feel like i’m back home.

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

this 😈

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

feel free to fire a couple rivets this way. That would be an amazing gift to give my dad for his birthday. Just the sheer historical significance of it. What a brilliant job to have. You need to get some pics up of the views you get too. The bridge is my finally im home thing soon as you are on it I feel like i’m back home.

I'll keep an eye out for any. There will be a few kicking around in Feb / March time when work ramps up again. 

It's an amazing job, I realise I'm quite lucky! Tried to upload a couple of pics there but they are too large! 

1 hour ago, sadj said:

I became a Civil Engineer because of this bridge :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, Homme said:

I'll keep an eye out for any. There will be a few kicking around in Feb / March time when work ramps up again. 

It's an amazing job, I realise I'm quite lucky! Tried to upload a couple of pics there but they are too large! 

thank you 👌🏻👍🏻

2 hours ago, Homme said:

That sounds ominous.  Aren't rivets considered a wee bit necessary in keeping the thing standing?

30 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That sounds ominous.  Aren't rivets considered a wee bit necessary in keeping the thing standing?

:lol:

Replaced with welds these days ML. 

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My humble connection with the bridge is my grandfather used to be one of the painters.

In years to come my kids and grand kids will tell everyone I was involved in building the new stand, small claim to fame but how many here would have done it for nothing.🔨

7 hours ago, Homme said:

5000 men 24hours 7 years .

Stopped for a munch at the place out there the other day.

Love getting the boat that takes you under all 3 bridges.

Each one has it's own attraction.

But the rail bridge is stand out.

If you are not married that's a pretty impressive bit of chat you have got there.

🙂

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, obua said:

In years to come my kids and grand kids will tell everyone I was involved in building the new stand, small claim to fame but how many here would have done it for nothing.🔨

👍

John Findlay

I'm always reminded of Billy Connolly's World tour of Scotland programme. He says you can forget the Sydney Harbour bridge, you can forget the Golden gate bridge. This is the greatest bridge in the world. The camera pans out over the Forth Rail bridge and you know exactly what he means.

The Real Maroonblood

Must be a few bob lying in The Forth.

Remember as a child people would throw money out of the window of the train.

Harry Potter
14 hours ago, sadj said:

One of the wonders of the world.

been here before

v0_master.jpg.5c2b0adc222f64f292d5450ff1cf0ae8.jpg

During the German attack on what they mistakently thought was HMS Hood but were instead HMS Sheffield and HMS Edinburgh.

The dark patches are bombs exploding in the water.

The train driver stopped the train on the bridge so the passengers could watch.

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, been here before said:

During the German attack on what they mistakently thought was HMS Hood but were instead HMS Sheffield and HMS Edinburgh.

Love that

4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

One of the wonders of the world.

It certainly is.

A few years ago, I took an American nephew over to Scotland to show him the land of his forebears. Needless to say, the Forth Bridge was one of the stops.  We stood under the bridge just across the street from Hawes Inn and he simply gaped in astonishment at the bridge towering over his head.

I couldn't resist the temptation to rub it in.  I said to him, "Thirty years after you Americans fought a civil war and were killing each other with smooth-bore, muzzle-loading muskets, this is what the Scots were doing."  He just shook his head in disbelief.

4 hours ago, been here before said:

Where is this photo from mate?

Great post .

18 hours ago, been here before said:

Keep an eye out, some charities offer a day out where you get to walk across the top of the bridge. I did it a couple of years ago. Great experience  :)

21993175_10215132480572024_2953635292169414607_o.jpg

21950992_10215132479171989_6173185062911976517_o.jpg

22047687_10215132478051961_657841504484494896_o.jpg

Just now, Rodge said:

Keep an eye out, some charities offer a day out where you get to walk across the top of the bridge. I did it a couple of years ago. Great experience  :)

21993175_10215132480572024_2953635292169414607_o.jpg

21950992_10215132479171989_6173185062911976517_o.jpg

22047687_10215132478051961_657841504484494896_o.jpg

Pics are similar to the ones I've tried to post without much success! 

I'm involved in all those charity days so chances are we may have met. 

The most recent event we raised circa £145k for charity 👍

been here before
34 minutes ago, jake said:

Where is this photo from mate?

Great post .

How do you mean where's it from? Who took it or where did I get it?

If its the former then Id assume one of the German bombers, the latter then I think its freely available online. Ive got a copy in a couple of books- The Forth At War (I think) and The Greatest Squadron of Them All: The History of 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron.

Both 603 and 602 (City of Glasgow) were involved in the shooting down of the first German aircraft over the British mainland in WWII during this attack over the Forth.

16 hours ago, Homme said:

:lol:

Replaced with welds these days ML. 

Ah, thanks; that's reassuring.

Note to self ... try to keep up with technology changes. 

58 minutes ago, been here before said:

How do you mean where's it from? Who took it or where did I get it?

If its the former then Id assume one of the German bombers, the latter then I think its freely available online. Ive got a copy in a couple of books- The Forth At War (I think) and The Greatest Squadron of Them All: The History of 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron.

Both 603 and 602 (City of Glasgow) were involved in the shooting down of the first German aircraft over the British mainland in WWII during this attack over the Forth.

The latter mate.

The wee man has took an interest in both world wars and for a change I managed to prise his attention from the playstation with your post and explanation.

He even answered his phone to talk about it.

😄

Whenever I was up north, for any period of time and returned via the Forth Road Bridge I'd always look proudly forward to seeing the Rail Bridge, and especially at night as you drove south across the Forth. Sadly we're not afforded that anymore as the new Queensferry Crossing Bridge doesn't give you that spectacular view.  :sad:

• 3 weeks later...
been here before

130 years ago today the first train travelled over it...

On this day 1890: A train travels on Forth Bridge for first time

It was a journey that launched tens of thousands of others.

By Alison Campsie

On this day in 1890 the first train travelled on the Forth Bridge for the first time after seven years of construction on the Victorian super structure.

To test the stability of the bridge beyond all doubt, it was decided to take a double train each made of 50 loaded coal wagons onto the rails.

The total weight was some 1,800 tonnes - more than double what the bridge would be expected to take.

The test was organised and witnessed by Sir John Fowler and Mr Baker, the bridge engineers, with the wagons loaded onto the bridge at the north end.

None of the engineers were allowed on the bridge at the time with observations of the impact of the weight taken at various points.

"The bridge exhibited exceptional stiffness in all directions," a report in the Greenock Telegraph noted.

A few days later, on January 24, the first passenger train crossed the Forth Bridge. The voyage was described by the Edinburgh Evening News as "an important event in the history and development of railway systems" which took place "after seven years labour with immense difficulties".

The train was loaded with dignitaries and executives from Britain's rail companies with a few 'ladies' allowed onto the platform at the old Forth Bridge Station to wait for the train, along with Sir John.

The train was due to arrive from Waverley at 10am - and it was on the platform at one minute past.

"Fortunately for the success of the event the weather was bright, frosty and agreeable," the report in the Edinburgh Evening News said.

Sir John boarded the train along with the assembled women and, adding to the excitement, the Marchioness of Tweeddale, the wife of the North British Railway Company, took the train's controls and drove the locomotive over the bridge.

The report added: "The ladies in carriages waved their handkerchiefs to the observers on the south side...who responded with equal enthusiasm. "At various points groups of workmen cheered loudly as the train passed and those on the train re-echoed the greetings. The journey was finished in less eight minutes.

"When the train arrived at the centre of the structure on the return journey tile shone out beautifully, and the view obtained was picturesque.

"A cold stiff breeze blew from the west. arriving back at the Forth Bridge Station the whole company left the train which went iuto siding. Her ladyship wan congratulated the uniform rate at which she conducted the locomotive, and although the cold wind must have been disagreeable, she stuck to her post and drove back the Forth Bridge Station.

"The directors appeared greatly delighted with the success of the journey."

And from this day, almost 130 years of commuter and holiday journeys across the Firth of Forth began.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/day-1890-train-travels-forth-bridge-first-time-1371880

On 04/01/2020 at 15:37, Homme said:

I took this one in 2017

15369edf-1449-4a59-bfec-38ba3af1d0be-original.jpeg

Absolutely stunning. 

My late dad worked for Briggs Marine of Burntisland, and one of the last big contracts he was involved in before he retired was during the big restoration of the bridge, between the late 2000s and around 2011 (Homme might know). His small part was skippering the workboats that collected and removed the debris from the shot blasting, moved men and equipment. It was a 24hr a day operation for the boats if I remember right. Dad absolutely loved being part of it, and had a few coffee breaks in bothys on the bridge while his crew held the boat in position a few hundred feet below. Some of the photos he had on his phone from sea level were brilliant, and I wish I still had them. 

Dad ended up with a copy of this book following the job, and it has some brilliant pictures of the men and work. It was a period in his working life he loved and could easily look back on as dementia got him a few years later. His book has pride of place in my man den now. 

I don't think those of us who see the bridge regularly realise how incredible it is.

IMG_20200122_084423.jpg

3 hours ago, blairdin said:

Absolutely stunning. 

My late dad worked for Briggs Marine of Burntisland, and one of the last big contracts he was involved in before he retired was during the big restoration of the bridge, between the late 2000s and around 2011 (Homme might know). His small part was skippering the workboats that collected and removed the debris from the shot blasting, moved men and equipment. It was a 24hr a day operation for the boats if I remember right. Dad absolutely loved being part of it, and had a few coffee breaks in bothys on the bridge while his crew held the boat in position a few hundred feet below. Some of the photos he had on his phone from sea level were brilliant, and I wish I still had them. 

Dad ended up with a copy of this book following the job, and it has some brilliant pictures of the men and work. It was a period in his working life he loved and could easily look back on as dementia got him a few years later. His book has pride of place in my man den now. 

I don't think those of us who see the bridge regularly realise how incredible it is.

IMG_20200122_084423.jpg

What a great story and yes i have that book. In fact i have hundreds of them :lol:

The main refurbishment was just before i arrived at the bridge but i know of Briggs Marine (we use Calypso Marine now, unsure if this is the same company?) and the work your dad would have been required to do.

Incidentally, i am having a teleconference this afternoon with the owners of The Quebec Bridge about how the Forth Bridge is governed etc. At the minute i believe they have a half painted bridge and no money to do the rest (or fighting about who pays for it! - Bill Gates and Canada Rail stumped up the intitial cash)

If you look up the Quebec Bridge then you will see some striking similarities!

annushorribilis III
7 minutes ago, Homme said:

Incidentally, i am having a teleconference this afternoon with the owners of The Quebec Bridge about how the Forth Bridge is governed etc. At the minute i believe they have a half painted bridge and no money to do the rest (or fighting about who pays for it! - Bill Gates and Canada Rail stumped up the intitial cash)

If you look up the Quebec Bridge then you will see some striking similarities!

Very interesting story behind that bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Bridge

After the collapse and massive loss of life - After a Royal Commission of Inquiry into the collapse, construction started on a second bridge. Three engineers were appointed: H. E. Vautelet, a former engineer for the Canadian Pacific Railways, Maurice FitzMaurice from Britain, who worked on the construction of the Forth Bridge,

1 minute ago, annushorribilis III said:

Very interesting story behind that bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Bridge

After the collapse and massive loss of life - After a Royal Commission of Inquiry into the collapse, construction started on a second bridge. Three engineers were appointed: H. E. Vautelet, a former engineer for the Canadian Pacific Railways, Maurice FitzMaurice from Britain, who worked on the construction of the Forth Bridge,

It has collapsed twice that bridge! No wonder they want us for advice :lol:

The bottom cords on the Quebec Bridge are like string compared to the FB.

Some very interesting stuff on this thread. 👍

Aren't they supposed to be building a viewing platform on the bridge? A visitor's centre too, if I mind right.

3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Some very interesting stuff on this thread. 👍

Aren't they supposed to be building a viewing platform on the bridge? A visitor's centre too, if I mind right.

They are. Not my project so not really privy to its current status. I believe it's still at design stage etc. Land etc has been purchased though.

http://www.forthbridgeexperience.com/

Note that the website has not been updated in a while!