The King o'er the Water

The White Cockade

been here before

Half Polish, born and brought up and died in Italy, lived for a while in France and spent a total of 12 months in Scotland the majority of it hiding.

The most over romanticised martinet ever to walk this land.

As the man once said "run, you cowardly Italian".

The White Cockade
20 minutes ago, been here before said:

Half Polish, born and brought up and died in Italy, lived for a while in France and spent a total of 12 months in Scotland the majority of it hiding.

The most over romanticised martinet ever to walk this land.

As the man once said "run, you cowardly Italian".

History is always written by the victor to the detriment of the loser

The Stuart’s were the Kings of Scotland from the 14th Century

I is very unlikely that any other Monarch of that time would have been able to “hide” on the run for as long as he did in such conditions and difficult circumstances 

He only managed it due to the loyalty of so many Scots and his own courage although it broke his health and he never really recovered

but that was all hundreds of years ago so why not be the bigger man and raise a glass to the Bonnie Prince

Imagine he had won. We would have been some backward catholic state with conservative attitudes and a far more severe history of child abuse than what we have. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Harsh but true.

Of course, most Jacobites were Episcopalian, some of his commanders were even Presbyterian and merely loyal to the Stuart’s.

Lots of fake news written about him too. No poncy fruitcake could have commanded the meanest, roughest, toughest, badass fighting men on the planet and rode this Country non stop on horseback. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Imagine he had won. We would have been some backward catholic state with conservative attitudes and a far more severe history of child abuse than what we have. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Harsh but true.

Of course, most Jacobites were Episcopalian, some of his commanders were even Presbyterian and merely loyal to the Stuart’s.

Lots of fake news written about him too. No poncy fruitcake could have commanded the meanest, roughest, toughest, badass fighting men on the planet and rode this Country non stop on horseback. 

They just wanted their Kingdom back, not Catholicism. George was 59th in line, while Charles' faither was the true King, not the pretenders of William 2, Mary and then Anne. Thieves!

Just now, ri Alban said:

They just wanted their Kingdom back, not Catholicism. George was 59th in line, while Charles' faither was the true King, not the pretenders of William 2, Mary and then Anne. Thieves!

True and rightfully theirs but unfortunately religion muddied the waters and we would be never have been as evolved or as liberal as we are now if we had become a Catholic State as that’s would have happened. 

On the other hand, an Independent Country. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just now, jake said:

Funny I thought any self respecting progressive nationalist would boak at following royalty never mind celebrating it.

👍🏼 Correct 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Of course your average downtrodden Scot was bothered about their country .

Wars then like now are waged by the powerful for the powerful .

2 minutes ago, jake said:

Funny I thought any self respecting progressive nationalist would boak at following royalty never mind celebrating it.

:leveinnaturalorder:

1 minute ago, jake said:

They were forever fighting for their country.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

True and rightfully theirs but unfortunately religion muddied the waters and we would be never have been as evolved or as liberal as we are now if we had become a Catholic State as that’s would have happened. 

On the other hand, an Independent Country. 🤷🏼‍♂️

1% of the Nation were Catholic. Mary was Catholic and the country stayed not. A myth we'd turned Catholic, the same myth that overthrew James.

2 minutes ago, jake said:

Then they were foolish to follow any monarch mate.

Just submit to England and theirs? It was our Kings who fought and died for this countries freedoms. Not until, James taking the English throne, did this become a problem.

32 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

I is very unlikely that any other Monarch of that time would have been able to “hide” on the run for as long as he did in such conditions and difficult circumstances 

He only managed it due to the loyalty of so many Scots and his own courage although it broke his health and he never really recovered

but that was all hundreds of years ago so why not be the bigger man and raise a glass to the Bonnie Prince

And there is such a glass which honour's the Stuart line at Traquair House.

Basically it has symbols and etchings which when you drank from it you were toasting the Jacobite cause, a very risky thing to do in the 1700's.

Traquair House is still owned by Stuart decendents the current Laird is Catherine Maxwell Stuart the 21st Laird of Traquair.

Let's not forget the numbers involved here by the way.

I'm all for Scottish expression but fek that being dictated by the politics and strategy of those times.

Bonnie prince charlie was a minor royal in European terms .

Sent to Scotland to attack England and not to save Scottish identity .

There are far better examples than this no mark to celebrate.

Bit embarrassing tbh.

15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just submit to England and theirs? It was our Kings who fought and died for this countries freedoms. Not until, James taking the English throne, did this become a problem.

If you believe that any monarch cared about Scotland just read how easily they sold us out.

These wars were about Romes power.

And if not that quarrels between royalty.

I'd rather celebrate the achievements of Scots than a wee no mark royal.

19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Traquair House.

Do they still brew beer? One of the best pints I had was at Traquair House back in the 80s.

The White Cockade

See the other post on Scottish Cringe

This cringing has been going on for hundreds of years 

Just as the ruling classes wanted

Practically official policy!

Divide and conquer 

Anyway Happy Birthday Charlie

Thought he was important until he was chased, first out of Great Britain, then out of France for being a narcissist *****.

32 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Do they still brew beer? One of the best pints I had was at Traquair House back in the 80s.

Indeed they do, got a special limited edition vintage ale out right now, which I was going to try tonight, not cheap at £4.50 (330ml bottle) but at 8.5% should have a bit of a kick to it.

P.S. All the beer is still brewed in the ancient oak tuns, none of this copper or steel stuff.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hey, ri Alban is the King. :D

No one from paisley can ever be king.

Only Edinburgh has pure blood.

Relinquish your claim or I will declare war.

That's sort of how these things went no?

Just now, jake said:

No one from paisley can ever be king.

Only Edinburgh has pure blood.

Relinquish your claim or I will declare war.

That's sort of how these things went no?

The Stewarts are fae Paisley.

1 minute ago, FWJ said:

Are these the Stuarts who believed in the divine right of Kings and absolutism - their primacy over Parliament?

Righty-ho.

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, jake said:

Exactly.

Not in Scotland and the Kirk would have removed any King, but the English throne did go to their heads. So we'd probably have had to do a France.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Not in Scotland and the Kirk would have removed any King, but the English throne did go to their heads. So we'd probably have had to do a France.

Ok you can be king I will be the french peasant.

1 minute ago, jake said:

Ok you can be king I will be the french peasant.

"Sword of omens, give me sight, beyond sight"

2 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

The Scots seemed quite happy to get rid of this Papist branch of the Stuarts.

Pretender in deed.

1 hour ago, jake said:

One would think . . . tenor.gif?itemid=12326173

1 minute ago, Boris said:

The Scots seemed quite happy to get rid of this Papist branch of the Stuarts.

Pretender in deed.

They certainly were. 
More of them fought with the Hanoverians than the Jacobites at Culloden.

The growing Scots middle-class, especially in places like Edinburgh, would have had little time for their authoritarianism had they won and we could very well have ‘done a France’.

1 minute ago, FWJ said:

They certainly were. 
More of them fought with the Hanoverians than the Jacobites at Culloden.

The growing Scots middle-class, especially in places like Edinburgh, would have had little time for their authoritarianism had they won and we could very well have ‘done a France’.

You do know it was the Kirk who were the authoritarians. Taught to read for Bible bashing. The Stewarts were too liberal for their liking and that's why the people loved their royal family. Post Union was a different time.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And there is such a glass which honour's the Stuart line at Traquair House.

Basically it has symbols and etchings which when you drank from it you were toasting the Jacobite cause, a very risky thing to do in the 1700's.

Traquair House is still owned by Stuart decendents the current Laird is Catherine Maxwell Stuart the 21st Laird of Traquair.

And while raising a glass to this secret portrait

http://www.westhighlandmuseum.org.uk/collections/the-jacobites/secret-portrait/

I have to say that the heavily revisionist sentiment for this vainglorious narcissist does the tourist business in Fort William no damage at all.... 

43 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed they do, got a special limited edition vintage ale out right now, which I was going to try tonight, not cheap at £4.50 (330ml bottle) but at 8.5% should have a bit of a kick to it.

P.S. All the beer is still brewed in the ancient oak tuns, none of this copper or steel stuff.

Thanks. I must look out and see if it can be bought locally. Like Henderson’s on Comiston Road. He has a good variety of beers.

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You do know it was the Kirk who were the authoritarians. Taught to read for Bible bashing. The Stewarts were too liberal for their liking and that's why the people loved their royal family. Post Union was a different time.

I would have thought the Stuarts were too Catholic for the Kirk’s liking rather than too liberal.

1 hour ago, jake said:

Yep, and it's the ordinary folk who shed their blood.  

6 minutes ago, FWJ said:

And while raising a glass to this secret portrait

http://www.westhighlandmuseum.org.uk/collections/the-jacobites/secret-portrait/

I have to say that the heavily revisionist sentiment for this vainglorious narcissist does the tourist business in Fort William no damage at all.... 

Narcissism! Is that not a par for the course, in all Royal families?

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yep, and it's the ordinary folk who shed their blood.  

Thousands of Scots gave their blood for Scotland. Pity their descendants pissed on their graves.