The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

My point is not whether these players would improve the squad, it’s whether or not they would it improve it enough to justify their cost. They signed both on a free so I’m not sure they’d be looking for fees but the wages they’ll be on are stupid. Do we think they are better than Meshino and Avdijaj, personally I don’t - and our youngsters are keeping them out if the team. So why break the bank for a couple of bench warmers over there?

350k for JJ.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

Ex member of the SaS

Reports in the record and EEN that Salford City have opened talks. Good news for everyone as it means Berra get to continue playing and we get a wage off the books.

Sorry should have added :

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/reports-claim-salford-city-have-opened-talks-hearts-defender-christophe-berra-1377372

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

Салатные палочки
Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

Reports in the record and EEN that Salford City have oped talks. Good news for everyone as it means Berra get to continue playing and we get a wage off the books.

I bet he never expected to be moving down south again after coming back to Hearts.  Good luck to him.

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Apart from being culpable for our winning goal on Sunday, that is.

Yeah, but I'm talking over a longer period since they bought him. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Ivan Sproule was ace on 2nd April 2006. Just added to the fun we were already having, I love watching opposition players lose their shit

:kirklol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
25 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Just thinking the same. Damouresque

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

This. 
Hate it when our “fans” covet old firm players.

Makes me recoil. 
🤮
GTF!

I genuinely don't think he would make our team better and I'd rather let the young lads play. They are proving that they seem up for the task.

I don't want to pay money for a prick who has been shite for Rangers when he has played. I dont think he would be up for a relegation type fight with us if he was on loan either.

As a club I dont feel we should be taking loans from either arsecheek.

19 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

350k for JJ.

He signed on a pre-contract.  They had an offer of 350k turned down, although I suspect it was 350k over 2/3 years or something in installments.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Plays out of his skin to get his move to his beloved and big money and then what....

Jones the footballer should be a good fit but there would always be that nagging doubt at the back of my mind....

However, he did score a few goals against them for Killie that killed off their title challenge last year.

Don't think he has the mentality we need at the club, especially being in the relegation zone right now. Not after getting a move to his beloved.

His record at Rangers this season is poor. 11 Games, no goals, 2 assists. 

Contract until 2023, he won't come cheap and wouldn't take one of them on loan in our situation. 

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Agreed.  Only thing is they need to be good enough.  Want to be wrong here but was saying to my dad on Sunday watching the game that I have a feeling Henderson and especially Moore will bridge this wee gap for us, but won't do much more in a Hearts strip.  I think we'll see them replaced even quite soon and maybe fade away.  They give us energy and I love watching them, but neither have that we bit of composure or nouse to create something and that's maybe just what we lack on top of our endeavor.  The hope is Ryo or Donis have this for us (or Walker...).

I don't want that to happen, I just don't think they are as good as other options we have or can attain.  Irving is.  Hickey is.  The challenge for all the kids is to be a level above what Hearts can find in the market.  The challenge for Hearts is to develop players to be such.

If Henderson could read the game a bit quicker and anticipate an opportunity he could have a chance.  I think Moore has looked pretty decent maybe a bit lightweight just now because of his age. 

54 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

His run through the Airdrie defence and clip back for Naismith was different class. 

True! FWIW I’ve seen him do it quite a lot for the reserves. Hopefully he can continue with it in the first team! 

18 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I bet he never expected to be moving down south again after coming back to Hearts.  Good luck to him.

Still a bit miffed about Berra, still think he could have helped us this season. However all you can do is trust in the gaffer.

Just as well the mods merged the transfer talk about Berra with this thread. It saves us having to read all those hypocrites who used to shout Berra down and wanted him binned and now resort to wishing “the big man all the best etc.”

On 12/11/2019 at 17:09, hughesie27 said:

4 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Still a bit miffed about Berra, still think he could have helped us this season. However all you can do is trust in the gaffer.

We would not have won on Sunday, Berra would not have made any of the runs to block the balls over our defence.

49 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Equaliser, do some fans pay attention at games I ask myself

21 minutes ago, WageThief said:

He signed on a pre-contract.  They had an offer of 350k turned down, although I suspect it was 350k over 2/3 years or something in installments.

I see. Classic Hun behaviour.

Apologies to the other guy, can't remember your name.

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

This. 
Hate it when our “fans” covet old firm players.

Makes me recoil. 
🤮
GTF!

We should never have signed Rab Prentice, Dave McPherson, Sandy Jardine, John Colquhoun from either of the ugly sisters.

6 minutes ago, Syd said:

We would not have won on Sunday, Berra would not have made any of the runs to block the balls over our defence.

True but , arguably , he would have been more disciplined holding the line . 

All academic now but not the worst back up you could have . Pretty sure , apart from OF , no other team in this league has anyone as good on the bench 

13 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Unfortunately there is no way he could play in such a high line. He would be a liability.

20 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Don't think he has the mentality we need at the club, especially being in the relegation zone right now. Not after getting a move to his beloved.

His record at Rangers this season is poor. 11 Games, no goals, 2 assists. 

Contract until 2023, he won't come cheap and wouldn't take one of them on loan in our situation. 

Two of the best players in the league last year were Jones and Taylor at Killie. We needed solidity on the left side and they would've neen ideal. I'd wanted us to show interest in them but money talks. These players are/were never going to be regular old firm players, they bought them to weaken opponents. Same with Lafferty when he was here. look at the state Dundee Utd have been in since they let Celtic get their hands on Mackay-Steven, Armstrong etc. The old firm don't want competition even though they whinge about a lack of it. Double standards.

2 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Unfortunately there is no way he could play in such a high line. He would be a liability.

Yup... infact, even when CL bought Halkett, I think it was his intention to have him paired with Souttar - not Berra. Berra definitely lost something with his last injury.

Then again, maybe CL was planning to go with a back 6?

17 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Just as well the mods merged the transfer talk about Berra with this thread. It saves us having to read all those hypocrites who used to shout Berra down and wanted him binned and now resort to wishing “the big man all the best etc.”

So if you want somebody out the team who isn’t doing the business and can’t play the system we want you aren’t allowed to wish the guy well when he moves on?

ok then. 😂😂😂

40 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Might not even have to move (house) Salford are only 3 hours away. He might even be able to arrange a Whelan type training deal.

Just now, jambonian said:

Two of the best players in the league last year were Jones and Taylor at Killie. We needed solidity on the left side and they would've been ideal. I'd wanted us to show interest in them but money talks. These players are/were never going to be regular old firm players, they bought them to weaken opponents. Same with Lafferty when he was here. Look at the state Dundee Utd have been in since they let Celtic get their hands on Mackay-Steven, Armstrong etc. The old firm don't want competition even though they whinge about a lack of it. Double standards.

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

We should never have signed Rab Prentice, Dave McPherson, Sandy Jardine, John Colquhoun from either of the ugly sisters.

Whats past is past John.

I (personally) wouldn't want us to deal with them other than sell them our shite at over inflated prices.  Players who cant even get quoted for rangers should not be on our radar. New manager, new way of doing things. I detest all things old firm but I know theres some folk on here who want to bend to their will. And actually enjoy it!

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Two of the best players in the league last year were Jones and Taylor at Killie. We needed solidity on the left side and they would've neen ideal. I'd wanted us to show interest in them but money talks. These players are/were never going to be regular old firm players, they bought them to weaken opponents. Same with Lafferty when he was here. look at the state Dundee Utd have been in since they let Celtic get their hands on Mackay-Steven, Armstrong etc. The old firm don't want competition even though they whinge about a lack of it. Double standards.

100% agree with that.

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Whats past is past John.

I (personally) wouldn't want us to deal with them other than sell them our shite at over inflated prices.  Players who cant even get quoted for rangers should not be on our radar. New manager, new way of doing things. I detest all things old firm but I know theres some folk on here who want to bend to their will. And actually enjoy it!

So you would cut off your nose to spite your face. You are a silly laddie imho

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Might not even have to move (house) Salford are only 3 hours away. He might even be able to arrange a Whelan type training deal.

Thought Dunfermline were interested in Berra? I expected him to stay in Scotland and play for a Dunfermline/Partick Thistle type club.

2 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yup... infact, even when CL bought Halkett, I think it was his intention to have him paired with Souttar - not Berra. Berra definitely lost something with his last injury.

Then again, maybe CL was planning to go with a back 6?

Smith, Dikamona, Souttar, Halkett, Berra, Hickey

Visionary. 

Just now, jambonian said:

Thought Dunfermline were interested in Berra? I expected him to stay in Scotland and play for a Dunfermline/Partick Thistle type club.

I thought Dundee Utd would be a good club for him too

Just now, Dallas Green said:

Smith, Dikamona, Souttar, Halkett, Berra, Hickey

Visionary. 

😂😂😂

SomethingAboutObua
1 hour ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Jones has only played about 15 games total for any club other than Kilmarnock. If he is being moved on then he has failed when taking the step up to a club in the same division as Kilmarnock and St Johnstone. He is not considered good enough to play for the rangers against teams like St Johnstone or Kilmarnock? They are exactly his level.

Inclined to agree with that, I think he's another wasted SPFL talent sitting on the OF bench but I'd still rather we focused on signing players that were looking to make a step up or across rather than guys that see sitting on the Rangers bench as a step up from a regular league starter for Killie 

19 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

So many of our players seem to get written off and 17 and 18 by fans instead of being encouraged

Yup, it's a shame.

I know we are a big club and there is pressure to win most of our games but young lads need time to develop and should get support from the stands.

If they try to play a ball and it just doesn't come off, a bit of encouragement rather than moaning will make them try again until they pull it off. Same if they go on a run, encourage the lads.

I think that is something Stendel is doing tbh.

19 hours ago, Jenks said:

Calm bud. He did play well yesterday , totally agree but I dont think we will keep him that's all.

I'm hoping we do. I like both him and Moore. I think under Stendel we are going to see much more from both of them.

19 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

1 assist and 1 goal in his last 2 matches.

Also got that ugly ned thug hooked yesterday at half time.

:spoton:

2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

I thought Dundee Utd would be a good club for him too

Funnily enough Dundee Utd were one club I didn't think of him at. They are fairly settled and I don't think he would've brought anything to their team. I thought he'd be solid for mid-table like Dunfermline or help Partick Thistle get up that league, maybe even Falkirk in the league below to help with a potential promotion push. Dundee Utd will be promoted so he'd be back in the Premier again which could well show up his frailties again.

4 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Yup, it's a shame.

I know we are a big club and there is pressure to win most of our games but young lads need time to develop and should get support from the stands.

If they try to play a ball and it just doesn't come off, a bit of encouragement rather than moaning will make them try again until they pull it off. Same if they go on a run, encourage the lads.

I think that is something Stendel is doing tbh.

Totally... the future for Scottish football lies with bring youth through. I know this sounds blatantly obvious, but it's no coincidence that the last time a Scottish National side reached a big tournament... the 'only 3 foreigners allowed' rule was still in force.

DS seems to be all for bringing through youth and giving them a chance. We (Scotland) definitely have the talent... it just needs to be nurtured/coached right and given a chance. At last we seem to have a manager that knows what hes doing.

PaulHartley10

We were after Matty Kennedy and Jones is a similar player and straight from the MacPhee scouting handbook.

I doubt Rangers would play ball and I think Avdijaj was signed instead of Kennedy.

Doubt it'll happen. Got Jack Ross or Sunderland all over it.

8 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Inclined to agree with that, I think he's another wasted SPFL talent sitting on the OF bench but I'd still rather we focused on signing players that were looking to make a step up or across rather than guys that see sitting on the Rangers bench as a step up from a regular league starter for Killie 

Not sure I would agree. The question is...has he failed at Ibrox or is it just that he isn't getting games to prove himself? If you're not getting a chance then it's hard to call someone a failure. I think back to when we signed John Colquhoun from Celtic. He wasn't getting games there but by coming to Hearts he had a pretty good career away from the uglies.

24 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Ah Rab Prentice, now there's a player from the past I enjoyed watching👍

12 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Whats past is past John.

There's no hard and fast rule to it, sometimes players not getting a game there might fit with exactly what we need/want and are available on the cheap due to the inflated squad at Ibrox. Others i'd never want anywhere near our club. 

15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

So you would cut off your nose to spite your face. You are a silly laddie imho

So you would get the begging bowl out to the old firm? Not for me thanks. Not required or wanted IMO.

6 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Funnily enough Dundee Utd were one club I didn't think of him at. They are fairly settled and I don't think he would've brought anything to their team. I thought he'd be solid for mid-table like Dunfermline or help Partick Thistle get up that league, maybe even Falkirk in the league below to help with a potential promotion push. Dundee Utd will be promoted so he'd be back in the Premier again which could well show up his frailties again.

Exactly.

Why would United waste budget on him when they are pretty much guaranteed to get promoted?  I'd also say this has has been the poorest standard of Championship for a while, so you can't really gauge in the remaining games his suitability for the Premieship next season.

Edited by DETTY29