Christophe Berra

Marvin

I have always liked the guy, but today you could see how much less nervy the defence was when he's not in the team. I think we should stick with the current back line because I thought we were fairly solid at the back today.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cisco1914

• Spoleto

• jambocub

• Absolute Scenes

Top Posters In This Topic

He should retire and save everyone the hassle of watching him try to run and hoof the ball out the park.

He is a major reason why we are where we are.

Edited by The Comedian

I just hope moving forward we keep that same back line as we had today , everyone of the back four deserve to be first on the team sheet for the next few games 

As much alas we looked better today Diakmona isn’t the answer either, if souttar is still a month plus away then we need someone in, Lindsay on loan fits that nicely imo 

We all know the situation. Don't really think there is a need for a thread of numerous posters stating he's finished on what is hopefully day 1 of the fightback.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

He’d be well advised to find another club in January. He’s been a great servant for hearts but in his second spell here it’s time to call it a day now. 

1 minute ago, campbell said:

As much alas we looked better today Diakmona isn’t the answer either, if souttar is still a month plus away then we need someone in, Lindsay on loan fits that nicely imo 

Why is diakmona not the answer ? 

SomethingAboutObua

Dikamona’s distribution was a massive surprise today with it actually being effective to the team. Showed how much Berra takes out of moving the team up the pitch. Don’t want him released but he’s done as our starting CB. 

I said when we signed Halkett, he’s to replace Berra not Souttar 

BRAVEHEART1874

Dika did alright and should keep his place if it is the same formation next game, but is smaller and does not clear headers like berra though. 

Edited by BRAVEHEART1874

The difference at the back today MAY have been Berra being dropped or it MAY have been Halkett staying in position. 

Certainly the distribution from the back was much better.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

We all know the situation. Don't really think there is a need for a thread of numerous posters stating he's finished on what is hopefully day 1 of the fightback.

For me it’s more frustration at him as I’ve known he’s been the problem to our defence for a long long time and seeing where we are now, knowing it might have been different had someone had then all’s to just drop him out the team sooner. Brilliant today though and really pleased we did that with Berra on the bench. Hopefully he gets the hint 

Just now, SomethingAboutObua said:

Dikamona’s distribution was a massive surprise today with it actually being effective to the team. Showed how much Berra takes out of moving the team up the pitch. Don’t want him released but he’s done as our starting CB. 

I said when we signed Halkett, he’s to replace Berra not Souttar 

Dikamona was like that when he first signed (when Berra was out injured) and made a big impression then.

His only appearances this season have been alongside Berra I think and that's just not worked for him.

All berra does is score OG's,hoof it or pass it to someone and point so he doesn't get the ball back. Its over for him. I would rather have had Dikamona all season than an immobile berra.

Berra was an outstanding centre half, the best in the league his first season back IMO. The injury last year finished him though, the decision to give a new 3 year contract to someone in their 30's out with a serious injury was a scandalous decision considering he had already indicated he was ready to finish his career here.

If berra can get the rest thats needed then hopefully he can be a great squad player going forward for us.   He doesnt look fit enough at the moment but if souttar/halkett injured he would be a not bad option to step in

Francis Albert

Berra has been a liability for most of the season. Nor has he looked a leader. In the derby he came out of the tunnel showing no sign of enthusiasm and encouragement for others. And his failure to stand up and shake Stendel''s hand when he introduced himself in front of the cameras suggested a total lack of leadership qualities.

Arthur Morgan
18 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

The difference at the back today MAY have been Berra being dropped or it MAY have been Halkett staying in position. 

Halkett was in position because Berra wasn't playing. 

Thanks for being a great servant to the club Christophe, but we know and you know, it's time to retire. We looked much better without him today. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

ToadKiller Dog

Maybe to close to the old coaching team .

Not shaking the managers hand was childish .

Lost what pace he had after the last injury and it has showed . 

Gave decent service over the years but now it's clear time to move on or retire .

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Thanks for great service over 2 spells.

It's time for him to move on given that age and injury have caught up with him, and we are embarking on a style of football that doesn't play to his strengths.

I don't get the vitriol for the guy, and wish him the best of luck.

30 minutes ago, 1874 said:

Why is diakmona not the answer ? 

I don’t think he’s good enough to be a main centre back, good solid cover but is poorer than Halkett and nowhere near Souttar we need a strong back 2 

Edited by campbell

43 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Was interesting to see a much better Halkett without Berra playing. Significant I think. 

Clark Griswold

Berra could do with a rest, definitely. Good to have around the club though and could still play a part in some capacity.

Dikamona should keep his place. Sure he's culpable of a brain fart now and then, but who isn't. His ability to play a bit of football is far beyond that of berra.

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Was interesting to see a much better Halkett without Berra playing. Significant I think. 

Let's hope it's not a one off. I thought Dikamona also did well beside him.

29 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Thanks for great service over 2 spells.

It's time for him to move on given that age and injury have caught up with him, and we are embarking on a style of football that doesn't play to his strengths.

I don't get the vitriol for the guy, and wish him the best of luck.

Indeed. 250 games for the club. A great servant and he’s had a cracking career. 

Some unpleasant posts on here , as usual 

Not going to nitpick after an excellent performance but in the first 15 minutes Aberdeen got a fair bit of possession in our half because Dikamona didn't win the headers that Berra wins .

Not saying Dikamona had a bad game but Berra is still an important player for us .

If he is more often used as cover then it demonstrates decent squad strength

Here is a guy who genuinely deserves a huge thank you for his performances over the years. 

Its a shame it’s ending the way it is but the guy has given everything while at hearts.  Everyone’s career needs to come to an end at some point and we knew we were only getting him because he was over the hill and close to finishing his career. 

stirlingshirejambo
1 hour ago, 1874 said:

I just hope moving forward we keep that same back line as we had today , everyone of the back four deserve to be first on the team sheet for the next few games 

I thought Dikhamona was shocking positionally. Twice he’s chasing down a ball in the opposition half leaving us massively exposed at the back. Not the answer for me I’m afraid 

Diadora Van Basten

I think people are being very harsh on Berra.

We were better all over the park today so don’t think the decision to drop Berra made that much of a difference.

The point about Berra making good headers is not correct, it's been a tactic used by the opposition for months, just aim the ball at Berra is every teams pre match tactic, he'll either flap at it or get his head on it and more often or not you'll get the ball back further up the pitch because he doesn't direct his headers to anybody in particular. 

He's been a liability for close to a year and all the proof needed was the time we where top of the league and also when the arse dropped out the team, not a coincidence in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think people are being very harsh on Berra.

We were better all over the park today so don’t think the decision to drop Berra made that much of a difference.

That confidence came from having a back 4 who didnt look nervous and that was because Berra wasnt in it.

I think the guy bleeds maroon but the legs have gone.

Stendel said that because Berra plays all the time he doesn't train all the time, presumably so his body can recover.

Is he another senior player who isn't in training every day with the others then or is he just doing other things? If he has a deal like Naismith and Whelan then the so called captain being a part timer is even worse.