Hickey's future

afanderson33

9 hours ago, DH1986 said:

C’mon....

If you’re saying guys like Scott Brown and James Forrest have had a shite career because they decided to sign for Celtic then you are plain stupid. Medals coming out there backsides, big European ties, Scotland caps and very well paid thrown in....is that really a shite career ?

I genuinely get the feeling you are full of the bevvy when you post these days.

Do you aye?

It is we’ll recognised that the old firm swallow up a load of the other Scottish teams’ best players and never ****ing play them. And their careers die a death

Are you stupid enough, because you think I’m a twat, to deny that?

Because I’d wager at least 80% of people on here agree with me on that point.

Edited by Jammy T

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Last Laff

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

5 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Do you aye?

It is we’ll recognised that the old firm swallow up a load of the other Scottish teams’ best players and never ****ing play them. And their careers die a death

I do.  Brown and Forrest are exceptions to the rule and are big fish in a relative pond.

5 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I do.  Brown and Forrest are exceptions to the rule and are big fish in a relative pond.

If I could be assed I’d put a big list together which would clog up the thread on this point - but jet lag is kicking in so everyone can breath easy.....

5 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Do you aye?

There is no denying the OF have taken a lot of young players who didn't get into their team. But that's not because they don't want to play them. It's simply down to the fact they're not good enough to replace the incumbent.

If you're suggesting Hickey couldn't get into an OF team I don't see how he would be good enough to get into an EPL team.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
5 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Do you aye?

I certainly agree with you.

If Hickey and his dad really wants to screw us over again the let him train with the u21's until his contract expires.

If Celtic really want him then they pay more than other clubs. If we get an offer of 1.5 from an English club then Celtic pay 2 million.

Why anyone with his talent would want to stay in Scottish football for me is absolutely nuts.

Go down south and have a go. If not now then stay here and go in a couple of years.

going to either of the uglies in this setup is not realising any potential. Go for it lad. Look at Andy Robertson or John McGinn for instance. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

The Future's Maroon
On 16/01/2020 at 21:16, Jee said:

I'd rather the club lost out on a few million so Celtic get shafted tbh.

Proper Hertz men would agree.

:greggy:

The fecking nick of this post?! Hertz aye? Bolt ya throbber.

Hopefully Hickey goes to a club down south that are happy to loan him back for 6 or 18 months...for me, that alone would cover any amount Celtic get due to them being clever enough to insert the clause (if true).

Hickey needs to look at how Robertson progressed.

Down to Hull when he was (19?) gets noticed playing down south in that sort of environment for a few years and now plays for the Champions of Europe (winning it with them) and now probably one of the best full backs in the world.

Celtic can do one. Celtic need to offer at least 30% more than an English club imo plus a large sell on fee.

Also, Robertson went for £2.8 million after 1 season with Dundee Utd. We should be looking at £2 million minimum but I know with only 16 months of his contract left it could be difficult. 

Bazzas right boot
23 hours ago, TheTrumpet said:

I'm not remotely bitter. I'd just run his contract out and play him unless a serious offer came in.

Rather than sell him, get money and have him back on loan for part or all the that time anyway? 

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, OTT said:

'Its suggested he wants to stay in Scotland' means a lot of things. He'd take a deal to Celtic sure, but by extension he'd also take a loan back deal to us - We're still in Scotland.

I think Celtic have a very fragile ego and the very idea that what is essentially a no-mark club in Crystal Palace (Not meaning to be insulting but not exactly flooded with silverware) or Man City who were all but irrelevant until 10 years ago can outbid them to the power of 10 must hurt :D 

Aaron Hickey is a very special talent. To be holding your own in topflight football anywhere is going to turn heads. I think he will go down south because if he had the balls to walk away from Celtic once, then he's driven and career minded. The quality of coaching down south supersedes anything in Scotland because thats where the money is. I don't think you can have ambition but only if you get to stay in Scotland. Its not something that goes hand in hand. 

I think his best deal would be to sign for a club where there is a direct line to the first team. He's never getting that at City, quality coaching aye but to where? A club a bit lower down offers the high standard of coaching still but with the added bonus of actually making it to the first team if he works hard enough. Man City operate at such a high level I think any youngster going there is nuts. 

Southamption would be an excellent move for the lad. Massive commitment to youth development for a sustained period of time from them. Probably very experienced and able to handle the adjustment side of things if he's concerned about being away from family & friends. Hell Liverpool might be the happy medium (footballing behemoth and giving youngsters a shot).

I agree in general, but Surley celtic have facilities to match most English teams, especially the the likes of Palace and Southampton. 

Celtic, unfortunately is a decent move for a young lad. 

Likley to get some game time, chance of European games, big crowds, high pressure games so if he improves or handles it he may also get a move down south further down the line if he wants. 

They also dominant most games so as a player you get a lot of the ball, attack more often than not and have confidence. Not a bad environment to develop at a young age. 

It sticks in the throat but celtic is not a bad move for Hickey. 

From our point of view, most money and a loan back is all I care about tbh. 

Tbh, after that his career will be of little interest to me either way, other than looking to see if he gets transferred again and we get some more money via a sell on clause. 

‘It’s suggested he wants to stay in Scotland’? I assume it was a tabloid that printed this, on the grounds that they were the ones suggesting it?

I don't think Hickey is going anywhere this window unless it's an offer we can't refuse which includes a loan back.  

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Why anyone with his talent would want to stay in Scottish football for me is absolutely nuts.

Go down south and have a go. If not now then stay here and go in a couple of years.

going to either of the uglies in this setup is not realising any potential. Go for it lad. Look at Andy Robertson or John McGinn for instance. 

He wants to play with his boyhood team (apparently) and is still a young laddie.  It would be the equivalent of Ross Callahan being amazing and wanting to play for us instead of going to the Championship.  

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Not sure Mcginn is the best example. 

Relegation battle and Likley championship football or with Celtic playing in Europe and winning trophies. 

Robertson is a good example but he's an exceptional example. 

Playing for Celtic, unpalatable as it may seen is not a bad move. 

Money, trophies, big games and probably more important to Hickey atm, staying in Scotland. 

Celtic at 17 is a decent move, not that I'll care too much unless we have a % sell on but the chances of him moving to the Epl if his trajectory continues are very high. 

Also, celtic have a decent history of selling players on so if we get a slice of that all will be good. 

Sticks in the throat, but celtic is probably a good move for him at this stage. 

All about how we get most money for him, a loan back and a sell on fee. 

Hard if he is favouring a move to them tho. 

10 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Do you aye?

Jesus.

All the big clubs do this. Man City and Chelsea hoover up as many young players as they possibly can and the majority never see first team action.

Hickey has more chance of disappearing into obscurity in England than he would at Celtic imo.

bringonthesevco

The problem with selling him to City is that the sell-on fee aspect of the deal is less likely to get us any cash .  if he’s a success there then he stays at City , if he isn’t then he gets sold / given away.

the best bet would be a Southampton / Palace type club , where if he is a success he gets a big money move and we get the sell-on .

difficult thing for us to stomach is that financially we might do best if he went back to Celtic - if they offer the same price say £2m but waive the sell/on clause they have with us then that makes us an extra £600k with a real possibility of us getting more money when they sell him on ....  would really stick in the throat however .....

8 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

The problem with selling him to City is that the sell-on fee aspect of the deal is less likely to get us any cash .  if he’s a success there then he stays at City , if he isn’t then he gets sold / given away.

the best bet would be a Southampton / Palace type club , where if he is a success he gets a big money move and we get the sell-on .

difficult thing for us to stomach is that financially we might do best if he went back to Celtic - if they offer the same price say £2m but waive the sell/on clause they have with us then that makes us an extra £600k with a real possibility of us getting more money when they sell him on ....  would really stick in the throat however .....

Maybe 

But likes of Liverpool and City have still sold several 'rejects' for big fees.

Leeds have committed by buy Jack Harrison on loan for 2 years, a fairly unexceptional winger from City for around £10 million. 

Douglas Luiz to Aston Villa - £15 million 

Manu Garcia to Sporting Dijon £3.6 million 

Pablo Maffeo to Stuttgart £8 million 

Lots of others over past few years. Guys who barely or didn't play for them. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe 

But likes of Liverpool and City have still sold several 'rejects' for big fees.

Leeds have committed by buy Jack Harrison on loan for 2 years, a fairly unexceptional winger from City for around £10 million. 

Douglas Luiz to Aston Villa - £15 million 

Manu Garcia to Sporting Dijon £3.6 million 

Pablo Maffeo to Stuttgart £8 million 

Lots of others over past few years. Guys who barely or didn't play for them. 

Yeah, truth In here tbh. 

Arsenal sold that defender to Derby for £8m, hadn't played a league game for them. 

Many others will just run down thier contract and leave tho. 

Meshino right now is another example, buy potential, loan it out. 

A few million is pocket change and as you highlight, sell one or two and get the money back. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

5 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

This is why I am pretty relaxed about it. If the reports are true that his old man realised he needed an agent involved and interviewed several before deciding then it strikes me that the guy is pretty level headed and will hopefully advise his son accordingly. Hickey is good enough to take the gamble of going straight to England and bypassing the OF. Not saying it will work out but definitely worth the gamble, surely his old man will realise this and not let this 'boyhood club' business get in the way.

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not sure Mcginn is the best example. 

Relegation battle and Likley championship football or with Celtic playing in Europe and winning trophies. 

Robertson is a good example but he's an exceptional example. 

Playing for Celtic, unpalatable as it may seen is not a bad move. 

Money, trophies, big games and probably more important to Hickey atm, staying in Scotland. 

Celtic at 17 is a decent move, not that I'll care too much unless we have a % sell on but the chances of him moving to the Epl if his trajectory continues are very high. 

Also, celtic have a decent history of selling players on so if we get a slice of that all will be good. 

Sticks in the throat, but celtic is probably a good move for him at this stage. 

All about how we get most money for him, a loan back and a sell on fee. 

Hard if he is favouring a move to them tho. 

Robertson was at Hull in a relegation battle and relegated but was on clubs’ radar because he was playing in the EPL - then he moved to Liverpool.  Exactly the same scenario as McGinn who will do likewise after a year in the top league.  To move from Celtic to a big club down south you have to do it consistently as a stand out for them for a good few years to have any chance.  Even then it’s usually a move to the Southamptons of the league.  

If Hickey wants guaranteed first team football then he couldn't be at a better club than us, but we don't know what's in his head. He won't be first pick at any of the top flight in England or Italy or either of the Glasgow 2.

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, bringonthesevco said:

City have netted a fortune moving on youngsters for decent fees.

RB-GRAPHIC-FOOTBALLERS-MAN-CITY1.jpg

Edited by Jambof3tornado

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

I certainly agree with you.

If Hickey and his dad really wants to screw us over again the let him train with the u21's until his contract expires.

If Celtic really want him then they pay more than other clubs. If we get an offer of 1.5 from an English club then Celtic pay 2 million.

When was the first time they did it? 

6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Rather than sell him, get money and have him back on loan for part or all the that time anyway? 

Depends if he comes back on loan. If he does then, yeah, take the money. If he doesn't then it would require a bit of thought.

Too many Hearts fans think transfer deals will be structured exactly as they wish. Hickey and the buying club will dictate terms, not Hearts.

7 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Like it or not he will get into Celtic s first ream before he gets into an EPL first team whichever one he moved to. Once he is in Celtics first team if he excels then top English clubs will come knocking and the sky is the limit for him. You just have to look at all the other Scottish kids who moved south at 17/18 years old and made it into EPL first team football on a consistent basis. Loads of them right? Can you name any? 

7 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

Hickey needs to look at how Robertson progressed.

Down to Hull when he was (19?) gets noticed playing down south in that sort of environment for a few years and now plays for the Champions of Europe (winning it with them) and now probably one of the best full backs in the world.

Celtic can do one. Celtic need to offer at least 30% more than an English club imo plus a large sell on fee.

Also, Robertson went for £2.8 million after 1 season with Dundee Utd. We should be looking at £2 million minimum but I know with only 16 months of his contract left it could be difficult. 

Robertson was 20 when he moved. Big difference between 17 and 20 maturity wise. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

When was the first time they did it? 

The first time they chose to go to Celtic from Hearts after being developed?

9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Like it or not he will get into Celtic s first ream before he gets into an EPL first team whichever one he moved to. Once he is in Celtics first team if he excels then top English clubs will come knocking and the sky is the limit for him. You just have to look at all the other Scottish kids who moved south at 17/18 years old and made it into EPL first team football on a consistent basis. Loads of them right? Can you name any? 

Ryan Fraser? That’s the only one I can think of after James McCarthy. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, TheTrumpet said:

Depends if he comes back on loan. If he does then, yeah, take the money. If he doesn't then it would require a bit of thought.

Too many Hearts fans think transfer deals will be structured exactly as they wish. Hickey and the buying club will dictate terms, not Hearts.

To an extent yes, especially if it's celtic. 

But for an English team his age is massive, they'll want him signed now. 

Will help the price. 

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Robertson was at Hull in a relegation battle and relegated but was on clubs’ radar because he was playing in the EPL - then he moved to Liverpool.  Exactly the same scenario as McGinn who will do likewise after a year in the top league.  To move from Celtic to a big club down south you have to do it consistently as a stand out for them for a good few years to have any chance.  Even then it’s usually a move to the Southamptons of the league.  

Yeah, all fair as well. 

Hickey at 17 will Likley get more game time at Celtic tho as opposed to an English team imo. 

15 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

The first time they chose to go to Celtic from Hearts after being developed?

He was 12 or 13 at that time. Hardly been ‘developed’ at that age. I know it’s painful for some but Hickeys most important years in development were almost certainly the four he spent at Celtic between the ages of 12 and 16. Then he had a year back with us which finished with him playing in the cup final. If Celtic have to pay us a seven figure some to buy him back after 18 months it’s us that’s got the bonus. 

15 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Ryan Fraser? That’s the only one I can think of after James McCarthy. 

Exactly. And McCarthy and Macarther both spent a few years out of the EPL before they made it. 

On 20/01/2020 at 00:32, Sooperstar said:

He is going to leave us before too long. If he wants to go to Celtic and have Scott Brown levels of ambition then so be it.

Thing is he is 17. He could play for them for 5 years and he'd still only be the same age as Tierney who still has years ahead of him.

The best (affordable) left back in the SPL was Greg Taylor at Killie. Didn't even know until recently he'd gone to Celtic (must've happened when I was on holiday) however, if Smeltic want Hickey then i'd be looking at getting Taylor in at Hearts included in the deal. Always impressed me against us anytime I watched him.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

The best (affordable) left back in the SPL was Greg Taylor at Killie. Didn't even know until recently he'd gone to Celtic (must've happened when I was on holiday) however, if Smeltic want Hickey then i'd be looking at getting Taylor in at Hearts included in the deal. Always impressed me against us anytime I watched him.

Problem now will be Taylor himself, his wages, not likely he will take a drop in them. Celtic never deal on anyones terms but their own, because they can.

Just don't see Taylor as an option at all

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Problem now will be Taylor himself, his wages, not likely he will take a drop in them. Celtic never deal on anyones terms but their own, because they can.

I remember saying over a year ago that we should've been looking at Taylor but was then told he had quite a long contract still to run at Killie. No idea how much Celtic must've paid for him. He'll be a bench-warmer at best there and it could result in him not gaining any more Scotland caps. He'd at least be able to put himself in the shop window for a move south if he were to arrive here. And also, Celtic are known for stealing players from other clubs. If someone does well against them it's almost a given. Look at the state Dundee Utd have been in since they signed their best players but it didn't stop Gary Mackay-Steven getting a move to Aberdeen. Might still be too early for Taylor to leave there but it's only a matter of time when he will. 

Celtic....the team that moans there's no opposition here and when there is that potential, they kill their competitors by weakening them. Rangers 2012 aren't far behind them. They either want a strong competitive league or they don't. They say they do but that might upset their European dreams.

8 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

Arguably, Celtic could offer 30% less than an English club, and just waive the sell on money that they're due, which is probably exactly what would happen. 

I really really hope that Hickey gets out of the goldfish bowl that is Scottish football if he wants a move.  Going to a Glasgow team is the ultimate in lazy moves, as you're admitting that you just want an easier ride, more money, and to win trophies without actually taking a leap and trying to progress your career. 

51 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Not sure he was affordable . Think he had 2 years on his contract when Celtic signed him

There no way Celtic will meet our valuation this or any other window. 

If he holds out for a move there we wil be getting a development fee and tfats it . 

He better hope he stays fit and in form . It's a long time  till next summer , things can change rapidly in a young players progress. 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

If people knew the wage Taylor is on at Celtic, they'd know he can't even be considered.

Guy would need to drop about 80% of his wages to be affordable to us.

55 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

If people knew the wage Taylor is on at Celtic, they'd know he can't even be considered.

Guy would need to drop about 80% of his wages to be affordable to us.

Given we are likely paying some players around 5k a week, I'm calling the above nonsense.

11 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

The fecking nick of this post?! Hertz aye? Bolt ya throbber.

Hopefully Hickey goes to a club down south that are happy to loan him back for 6 or 18 months...for me, that alone would cover any amount Celtic get due to them being clever enough to insert the clause (if true).

Reported to the moderating team for your tone and having the red neck to call anyone a throbber.

2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Not sure he was affordable . Think he had 2 years on his contract when Celtic signed him

I’d take Taylor on loan as part of the deal if they didn’t want to loan Hickey back to us.

Would prefer it if Aaron didn’t entertain the smelly ****s at all to be honest!

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Jee said:

Reported to the moderating team for your tone and having the red neck to call anyone a throbber.

It could be argued that if your report someone to mods for calling ones self a "throbber", it actually makes you a "throbber". 

One could argue, not me tho. 

That would be rude. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It could be argued that if your report someone to mods for calling ones self a "throbber", it actually makes you a "throbber". 

One could argue, not me tho. 

That would be rude. 

Personally I would agree that suggesting Hearts lose out on 'millions' for a player with less than 18 months on his contract which is what the poster suggested simply to give a get it up ye to Celtic is beyond stupid.

Dunno whether throbber would be an apt term for such stupidity but definitely something along those lines would be fitting. Millions is a significant potentially game changing sum for Hearts.

The modern game is all about maximising income.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Personally I would agree that suggesting Hearts lose out on 'millions' for a player with less than 18 months on his contract which is what the poster suggested simply to give a get it up ye to Celtic is beyond stupid.

Dunno whether throbber would be an apt term for such stupidity but definitely something along those lines would be fitting. Millions is a significant potentially game changing sum for Hearts.

The modern game is all about maximising income.

Yip, one could argue that to suggest such a thing is exactly what a "throbber" would say. 

Not me tho.