Hickey's future

afanderson33

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

He is going to leave us before too long. If he wants to go to Celtic and have Scott Brown levels of ambition then so be it.

Not many Scottish players have the intelligence or ambition to see beyond the ''OF''.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Last Laff

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, but I can fully understand a lad of 17 not wanting to move country. 

17 is really young tbh. 

Why do you think its super young? Loads of folk go to uni in different cities/countries at 17. Loads of folk join the army at 17. You can be married at 17. Its not that young. 

Every decent sized club has staff that specifically look out for the youngsters when they move, he'll be on decent money and he'll have barely any free time if he's at a proper club. 

He wont be heading to Asia or some third work country that doesnt speak english. Its England. Im sure he can still get Scottish Blend tea bags or whatever other cringe inducing things that folk take to spain with them on holiday. 

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, but I can fully understand a lad of 17 not wanting to move country. 

17 is really young tbh. 

It is, don’t think i could do it. In fact, i got offered a really well paid job in Leeds when i was 21, but i didn’t take it, as i wasn’t brave enough to do it, plus i had it too cushy at home with my parents.

11 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

The only surprise is we aren't playing them this week

Just what I was thinking.

No doubt there’ll be a few “dream moves” to Rangers next week.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Why do you think its super young? Loads of folk go to uni in different cities/countries at 17. Loads of folk join the army at 17. You can be married at 17. Its not that young. 

Every decent sized club has staff that specifically look out for the youngsters when they move, he'll be on decent money and he'll have barely any free time if he's at a proper club. 

He wont be heading to Asia or some third work country that doesnt speak english. Its England. Im sure he can still get Scottish Blend tea bags or whatever other cringe inducing things that folk take to spain with them on holiday. 

Think George Best was about 15/16, Messi,Ronaldo, there’s loads of them went as young as 17 and younger to different countries to reach their goal. It’s all about how much drive and ambition you have within you to make it as far as you can in the sport.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Think George Best was about 15/16, Messi,Ronaldo, there’s loads of them went as young as 17 and younger to different countries to reach their goal. It’s all about how much drive and ambition you have within you to make it as far as you can in the sport.

Exactly. I see it in real life as well, folk making excuses for people who are nearly 20. Treating them like children. Its ridiculous behaviour. 17 is fine to be moving out when you will be heavily supported. 

This is part of what is wrong with Scottish football - we are backward as **** in a footballing sense and it is led by thick ****ing footballers

If it is true - big pinch of salt - then Hickey will go on to have a shitey wee career which he will deserve if he chooses Celtic over clubs that are genuinely the biggest and best in the world in proper teams in proper leagues he chooses Celtic at any stage in his career other than a retirement gig

Edited by Jammy T

What a honking piece of journalism. Headline wants to move to celtic, then further down 'its suggested he wants to stay in Scotland' with 0 actual quotes from anyone. 

Utter nonsense. Boy seems to have a sensible head on him im.sure he will be away down south eventually. Be better learning at us for a few more years though but cant see it.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, The Brow said:

Exactly. I see it in real life as well, folk making excuses for people who are nearly 20. Treating them like children. Its ridiculous behaviour. 17 is fine to be moving out when you will be heavily supported. 

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

This is part of what is wrong with Scottish football - we are backward as **** in a footballing sense and it is led by thick ****ing footballers

If it is true - big pinch of salt - then Hickey will go on to have a shitey wee career which he will deserve if he chooses Celtic over clubs that are genuinely the biggest and best in the world in proper teams in proper leagues he chooses Celtic at any stage in his career other than a retirement gig

Yup, too many soft spoilt kids who just don’t have that true desire to get to the top like some of the Scottish players from the past who had nothing and had to fight for things in life.

I wonder if he's thought about Neil Lennon's management 'style'. Should maybe have a word with Aiden McGeady about being a young player under Lennon. Think Charlie Mulgrew had a few things to say about Lennon's man management skills as well. Not sure he's the most progressive coach either. If he wants to go then he should just sit out his contract and head down South when he'll be 19/20 years old. Hearts retain a good player and whilst you can look at it as money lost he would need replaced and you can't really lose money you never had. 

I think a lot of Scottish clubs have got themselves into good financial shape now and can resist cheap offers and deals that aren't in their footballing interests. If a club like Hearts have money in the bank and are working within a salary framework that is sustainable and sets a feasible level of ambition (i.e. not trying to outspend the Uglies in some forlorn hope that both of them have an off season) then they can easily let a players contract run down. There's no financial imperative to sell and bank 1 million or whatever they may get from a player sale, unless the player is downing tools. An offer of 5 million upward for a player is different, but 1 or even 2 million? Nah, why sell, to what end? Hearts can't go out and spend 1 or 2 million on a player just now as the wages would be stupid, they could go and buy 4 or 5 players but the wage structure would still be too big I suspect and you would question whether it was sustainable. 

The days of the Uglies buying cheap from the other SPL clubs are over.  Even Motherwell were about to take 3.5 million from Celtic for Turnbull. Motherwell might pay a limited amount in wages but the crucial factor is they are now debt free, they might like the 3.5 million but they aren't desperate for it which allowed them to play hardball with Lawell.

If Hickey declares he wants to go to Celtic then let him, when his contract runs out.

Edited by TheTrumpet

While it's being suggested that going to Celtic would be a bad career move because he would be unlikely to play going to Man City which has been suggested as a potential interested club would be no different. In fact the chances of getting into their first 11 would be likely even more limited.

The best move for the boy is to as a high a level as possible where he will be playing regular first team football.

But I definitely see zero point in Hearts not cashing in to the tune of a million or whatever it might be. That's a major cash influx to any SPL club outside the OF. And I don't see any SPL club turning that down.

It would be absurd for Hearts to let his contract run down.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

While it's being suggested that going to Celtic would be a bad career move because he would be unlikely to play going to Man City which has been suggested as a potential interested club would be no different. In fact the chances of getting into their first 11 would be likely even more limited.

The best move for the boy is to as a high a level as possible where he will be playing regular first team football.

But I definitely see zero point in Hearts not cashing in to the tune of a million or whatever it might be. That's a major cash influx to any SPL club outside the OF. And I don't see any SPL club turning that down.

It would be absurd for Hearts to let his contract run down.

What Hickey wants is neither here nor there.

The difference between you and me is I see Hearts as a football club, not an accountancy firm. 

Motherwell initially turned down a lot more than a million from Celtic. It can be done you know.

Edited by TheTrumpet

1 hour ago, TheTrumpet said:

The difference between you and me is I see Hearts as a football club, not an accountancy firm. 

Motherwell initially turned down a lot more than a million from Celtic. It can be done you know.

Where did I suggest not trying to get as much as possible? I didn't. In fact you not me suggested letting his contract run down and get nothing.

3 hours ago, TheTrumpet said:

If Hickey declares he wants to go to Celtic then let him, when his contract runs out.

And that's where my major disagreement with you lies. Allowing his contract to run down then he walks away for nothing. That's absurd and wont happen simply because it's absurd.

And regarding football clubs contrary to what you appear to think I see it no differently than you do. The difference between us appears to be i'm more realistic when it comes to modern football clubs maximising income. 

Why do you think Dundee took a mere 50K for Kamara who less than a year later was in the multi millions bracket? They did it because if they didn't he would have walked for absolutely nothing 6 months later because his contract had run down.

That wont happen in the case of Hickey because Hearts wont allow it to happen and that has absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about it. That's hard economic reality and sheer common sense in the modern game.

14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Where did I suggest not trying to get as much as possible? I didn't. In fact you not me suggested letting his contract run down and get nothing.

And that's where my major disagreement with you lies. Allowing his contract to run down then he walks away for nothing. That's absurd and wont happen simply because it's absurd.

And regarding football clubs contrary to what you appear to think I see it no differently than you do. The difference between us appears to be i'm more realistic when it comes to modern football clubs maximising income. 

Why do you think Dundee took a mere 50K for Kamara who less than a year later was in the multi millions bracket? They did it because if they didn't he would have walked for absolutely nothing 6 months later because his contract had run down.

That wont happen in the case of Hickey because Hearts wont allow it to happen and that has absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about it. That's hard economic reality and sheer common sense in the modern game.

Say Hearts get 1 million. Player gets a cut, agent gets a cut. Say 800,000 left. So Hearts need to find another quality defender for at least the year and a half left on Hickeys contract. So signing on fee plus wages, or transfer fee, leaves you what, 400k, nice sum but not worth bending over for, and certainly not to Celtic.

Down South may be different. Sell on and loan back makes sense. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, The Brow said:

17 is young. 

Also, if a club across the road offers you that (money, facilities etc) you can have all that plus be close to your family and friends. Hence why he might favour celtic over the likes of a English club. 

Depends on the individual tbh. 

If he's happy and got a good support from family and friends he may not want to move. 

His dad's his agent, suggests a close family. 

Everyone is different. 

Don't think I'd have moved country at 17 to live by myself,each to their own tho. 

I moved out at 19.

29 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

We all know how this ends and guess what, it’ll be a shit outcome for us and a shit career outcome for the player.

Exactly why his parents, family and agent should all be advising the kid to stay with Hearts for the next season or two and play  regular football then look to get your move when you're 18/19,  even then you're looking at going into the reserves at any EPL side. But yes the odds are against the laddie. I rate him highly  but nobody knows just now,  if he has what it takes, its still way to early for the kid

Credit where credit is due. Levein knew this would happen which is why he was advising Hickey didn’t seek to find an agent. Sad but inevitable ending to a scenario all to familiar in Scotland..............if true. 

3 hours ago, TheTrumpet said:

You cant make Hickey go to England or Italy though if he doesnt want to

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

You cant make Hickey go to England or Italy though if he doesnt want to

Exactly.  The bitterness from some on here towards a 17 year old boy potentially going to Celtic is embarrassing.  Why would he deserve to have a shit career for going to Celtic now?  He might well get first team action at Celtic (Boli is push and Lennon doesn’t seem to rate Taylor) and then move to England in 2 or 3 years time. 

Doesn’t mean he’ll stay at Celtic for the rest of his career and he’ll have more chance of first team action there than Man City or AC Milan.  He’d probably never see the first team at either but better to go there just because it’s not Celtic, aye?

11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Exactly.  The bitterness from some on here towards a 17 year old boy potentially going to Celtic is embarrassing.  Why would he deserve to have a shit career for going to Celtic now?  He might well get first team action at Celtic (Boli is push and Lennon doesn’t seem to rate Taylor) and then move to England in 2 or 3 years time. 

Doesn’t mean he’ll stay at Celtic for the rest of his career and he’ll have more chance of first team action there than Man City or AC Milan.  He’d probably never see the first team at either but better to go there just because it’s not Celtic, aye?

Aye .

Is my gut reaction , though I'm sure you're right

The Mercer Takeover

Celtic may of course only be trying to bump up his transfer value, by creating a bidding war.

They can't lose here either way.

14 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I'm not remotely bitter. I'd just run his contract out and play him unless a serious offer came in.

8 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Not many Scottish players have the intelligence or ambition to see beyond the ''OF''.

Sadly true. 

If he want's to go, I honestly don't care where he ends up and I'm not sure why others care. All I want to see is that we maximise the transfer fee.

Does it matter if it's Celtic or City? Once a player leaves us, I honestly couldn't care if they do well or not, or who the play for. Especially one who's not even been a first-teamer for 12 months.

8 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Totally agree.

Thing is, plenty of other kids from elsewhere in Europe move away from home at a young age to play football (and learn a new language and culture). Here they just want to hang around with their mates, play Xbox and post crap on Social Media. 

6 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

If he want's to go, I honestly don't care where he ends up and I'm not sure why others care. All I want to see is that we maximise the transfer fee.

Does it matter if it's Celtic or City? Once a player leaves us, I honestly couldn't care if they do well or not, or who the play for. Especially one who's not even been a first-teamer for 12 months.

Also totally agree with this.

If he was still at Celtic he wouldn't have broken through to the first team let alone played in a SC final. It's all up to him or his dad if that's who's calling the shots. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
10 minutes ago, Section Q said:

If he was still at Celtic he wouldn't have broken through to the first team let alone played in a SC final. It's all up to him or his dad if that's who's calling the shots. 

Same if he goes - won’t get in the first team and won’t be loaned to us. Development will be stifled completely.

16 minutes ago, Section Q said:

They've made good choices so far. 

Players mostly have the power. In this case the Euro U18 'home grown' player rule is on our side for likes of AC Milan or Man City. 

But a contract till only 2021 which could be run down to leave on a free with just a small development fee maybe £200k. 

Is the issue with Hickeys value the wage he is on? I’m sure I read this has a bearing on his value.

Vlad had Gordon sign a ridiculous high wage contract knowing it bumped his value up and that’s how we got £9m for him.

Hickey hasn’t signed a new contract since his youth contract so he will likely be on peanuts.

As an amazing talent and prospect that he is he only made his debut 9 moths ago, that’s some turnaround to get over 1m for him. To not take the money is a risk when you look at the lack of progress other young talent such as Nicholson, Holt, Cochrane and McDonald have made since they first burst in to the scene.

WIth Brexit, clubs will no longer be able to utilize article 19 exception, which makes it a lot more difficult for PL teams to purchase players under 18. I'd expect PL clubs to be buying up as many talented 16/17 year olds this month and HIckey is absolutely one of them and a steal at the price we're asking.

Hickey and his advisors need to be really careful here , things can change round fairly rapidly in football . 

Right now he is getting game time playing well and in the spotlight . 

If an Ioffer comes in from a club like Palace which is acceptable to the club waiting around for Celtic to match it could be a huge mistake. 

Celtic clearly won't stump up the market value , they've proved that time and time again under Lawell. 

Deciding  to stick it out and run down his contracts after a club like Palace want him is a massive gamble which could backfire spectacularly. 

Anything could happen between now and next summer , look at the young mid from Motherwell that Celtic were after . 

Needs to be careful here and not get involved in Celtic shite . 

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

Hickey and his advisors need to be really careful here , things can change round fairly rapidly in football . 

If an Ioffer comes in from a club like Palace which is acceptable to the club waiting around for Celtic to match it could be a huge mistake. 

Celtic clearly won't stump up the market value , they've proved that time and time again under Lawell. 

Deciding  to stick it out and run down his contracts after a club like Palace want him is a massive gamble which could backfire spectacularly. 

Anything could happen between now and next summer , look at the young mid from Motherwell that Celtic were after . 

Same with Rangers,  look at what happened to Walker too.

It's the same all the time with Scottish Youth players,  media mentions interest from old firm,  old firm make crap offer.

4 hours ago, jambo-rocker said:

WIth Brexit, clubs will no longer be able to utilize article 19 exception, which makes it a lot more difficult for PL teams to purchase players under 18. I'd expect PL clubs to be buying up as many talented 16/17 year olds this month and HIckey is absolutely one of them and a steal at the price we're asking.

Brexit will have no effect on it imo.

Edit: Brexit will only affect transfers between the UK and the EU and the other way.

Unless.........

However, even with the UK electing to leave the EU, there is a chance that UK clubs could still qualify for this Article 19 exception. Pundits and analysts have suggested that were the UK to leave the EU, it could remain part of the European Economic Area. Iceland, Lichtenstein, and Norway are not members of the EU, but still participate in the internal market by virtue of their membership in the EEA. Most importantly, in the context of Article 19, players and clubs in EEA countries can still engage in international transfers of players between the ages of sixteen and eighteen.

Edited by graygo

15 hours ago, Jammy T said:

C’mon....

If you’re saying guys like Scott Brown and James Forrest have had a shite career because they decided to sign for Celtic then you are plain stupid. Medals coming out there backsides, big European ties, Scotland caps and very well paid thrown in....is that really a shite career ?

I genuinely get the feeling you are full of the bevvy when you post these days.

Edited by DH1986

Tennant's  6's
29 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

C’mon....

If you’re saying guys like Scott Brown and James Forrest have had a shite career because they decided to sign for Celtic then you are plain stupid. Medals coming out there backsides, big European ties, Scotland caps and very well paid thrown in....is that really a shite career ?

Jammy T has a point.  They might not have had shite careers as you say, but they've definitely stayed in their comfort zone, in what's been basically a one team league for yrs..

Taking very little effort to win said medals, going to some awful stadia half a dozen times a season, struggling to get near the Champions League, albeit kind of finding their level in the Europa.

The getter players should view Scotland as a stepping stone to learn their trade, before going off for a better challenge. I'd hope that that's what Hearts drum into their better young players, whilst providing a terrific environment for the lesser players who chose to stay at Hearts instead of going down to League 1 or 2

4 hours ago, ramrod said:

They were prepared to pay £3.5m for Turnbull. How come Motherwell can get them to stump up the going rate?

48 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

C’mon....

I thought that myself. They guys have had an absolute blast: Massive Euro fixtures, International Caps, Plenty of domestic Cups.

Or go to Crystal Palace and play 30-odd almost meaningless fixtures, to finish mid-table every season. No Europe & No Trophies.

16 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Jammy T has a point.  They might not have had shite careers as you say, but they've definitely stayed in their comfort zone, in what's been basically a one team league for yrs..

Taking very little effort to win said medals, going to some awful stadia half a dozen times a season, struggling to get near the Champions League, albeit kind of finding their level in the Europa.

The getter players should view Scotland as a stepping stone to learn their trade, before going off for a better challenge. I'd hope that that's what Hearts drum into their better young players, whilst providing a terrific environment for the lesser players who chose to stay at Hearts instead of going down to League 1 or 2

Is it a comfort zone when your're expected to win every single match you play? No opportunity to develop on the pitch, fans expecting the finished article and a 10/10 performance every time you play. Nothing comfortable about that.

People suggesting Celtic is the lazy / easy choice, are wide of the mark, IMO.

21 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

They were prepared to pay £3.5m for Turnbull. How come Motherwell can get them to stump up the going rate?

Don't know the ins and outs of the deal all i do know is regardless of any quotes as to what they were prepared to pay , ultimately they paid nothing . Ergo Motherwell didn't get them to pay the going rate . 

4 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Don't know the ins and outs of the deal all i do know is regardless of any quotes as to what they were prepared to pay , ultimately they paid nothing . Ergo Motherwell didn't get them to pay the going rate . 

In England buying English players inflates the price.

Turnbull seemed to be a Scottish example. Celtic think Hickey is just on loan at Hearts. 

'Its suggested he wants to stay in Scotland' means a lot of things. He'd take a deal to Celtic sure, but by extension he'd also take a loan back deal to us - We're still in Scotland.

I think Celtic have a very fragile ego and the very idea that what is essentially a no-mark club in Crystal Palace (Not meaning to be insulting but not exactly flooded with silverware) or Man City who were all but irrelevant until 10 years ago can outbid them to the power of 10 must hurt :D 

Aaron Hickey is a very special talent. To be holding your own in topflight football anywhere is going to turn heads. I think he will go down south because if he had the balls to walk away from Celtic once, then he's driven and career minded. The quality of coaching down south supersedes anything in Scotland because thats where the money is. I don't think you can have ambition but only if you get to stay in Scotland. Its not something that goes hand in hand. 

I think his best deal would be to sign for a club where there is a direct line to the first team. He's never getting that at City, quality coaching aye but to where? A club a bit lower down offers the high standard of coaching still but with the added bonus of actually making it to the first team if he works hard enough. Man City operate at such a high level I think any youngster going there is nuts. 

Southamption would be an excellent move for the lad. Massive commitment to youth development for a sustained period of time from them. Probably very experienced and able to handle the adjustment side of things if he's concerned about being away from family & friends. Hell Liverpool might be the happy medium (footballing behemoth and giving youngsters a shot).

Dusk_Till_Dawn
46 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Will be interesting to see if a return to Celtic is on the cards, appears to be mumblings that's his preference. 

Really disappointing if that’s happens. I mean, it’s his career, but it just seems like the lazy option