Hickey's future

afanderson33

If he will not sign a contract extension he has to go. Its simple as that. 

We cannot moan and complain about how little we got for Walker, King, Mchattie, Holt, Paterson's generation and then be allowing quality talent to walk away for development fees.

It sucks balls, but thats the nature of modern football. We need to be a bit more sensible and protectionist about when we have quality youngsters and how we manage their contract situation.

Whats more, the million or so hard cash we're getting will allow Stendel to do the transfer work necessary to A.) Keep us up and B.) effectively implement his style of play. We're also going to be getting Hickey back for at least the end of the season so we're 7 figures up, finishing out the season with our first choice left back and being able to fix the mess Levein left DS..

Why are folk moaning? Because we're not getting £2,3,4 million? If he was 19 and had signed a 4 year deal I'd be in agreement but this is modern football. Smaller clubs like ourselves get ****ed every time when Man City or whoever, decide they need better youth players for their youth system that doesn't work. Every chance we could end up getting Hickey back in a few years. Islam Feruz anyone?

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Last Laff

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Conflicted on this one. If we badly need money next month then we might have to cash in but I’d hate to see him leave before he’s really done anything for us.

I think most people might agree

BUT

it seems he will not be extending/renewing his contract anyway so holding on to him means we will get little more than a development fee.  If we can get say £1.5m with a loan back we net over £1m and still have the player (for this season at least).

It does not make sense to reject a reasonable offer.

Adam_the_legend
15 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Conflicted on this one. If we badly need money next month then we might have to cash in but I’d hate to see him leave before he’s really done anything for us.

Ultimately it’s his choice, not the clubs. If he refuses to sign an extension we’d be crazy not to cash in. 

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think most people might agree

BUT

it seems he will not be extending/renewing his contract anyway so holding on to him means we will get little more than a development fee.  If we can get say £1.5m with a loan back we net over £1m and still have the player (for this season at least).

It does not make sense to reject a reasonable offer.

He's done a lot for us.

Aside from helping us nearly win the Scottish Cup marking the one of the best players in Scotland, he's shown a pathway for others.

Apart from the success in picking up a top prospect from Celtic's youth system he shows all the others you can get in the team with the right attitude, hard work and ability. He's a great example both to young players and their parents. 

47 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Agree and understand but we have to stop molycoddling. Toughen him up and he has a shot.

I reckon he’s one of the toughest in the squad.  Gets stuck in and doesn’t shy out the tackles.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn
44 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Ultimately it’s his choice, not the clubs. If he refuses to sign an extension we’d be crazy not to cash in. 

This is true. In fairness, I’m not sure how much I’d want to commit at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bajthejambo said:

https://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-italia.net%2F148798%2Fmilan-eye-hickey-and-robinson#article/footballitalia-148798

Possibly one to file along side 'Steven Fletcher to Real Madrid' but thought I'd share anyway.

Sky Italia is rarely wrong so I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they were at least aware of Hickey.  He's a superb talent who will play at the highest level one day.

If he were to leave us for AC Milan, what a fantastic opportunity for the boy.

Bazzas right boot
On 15/12/2019 at 22:30, leginten said:

Good to see a recovery in his form yesterday. He once again looked a quality player. Will be sorry to see him go, but in all honesty Tynecastle at the moment is maybe not the best place for his development. 

Tbh, form and quality are two different things. 

Hickey has two stand out attributes that you can't teach. 

As well as being a decent size for his age, Hickey is two footed. You can't teach that. 

Also, he shows a mentality way beyond his years. Again you can't teach that. 

These two things as well as his general all round play make him a quality player. 

Form will come and go, especially at his age but scouts will look for things that separate players, real signs of quality. 

Things that say he can jump up a level or two. 

Left footed is an advantage, but being two footed and with his composure, he's just generally a stand out. 

Even when he has a poor game, the quality is never in doubt. 

Bazzas right boot
On 21/12/2019 at 13:18, OTT said:

If he will not sign a contract extension he has to go. Its simple as that. 

We cannot moan and complain about how little we got for Walker, King, Mchattie, Holt, Paterson's generation and then be allowing quality talent to walk away for development fees.

It sucks balls, but thats the nature of modern football. We need to be a bit more sensible and protectionist about when we have quality youngsters and how we manage their contract situation.

Whats more, the million or so hard cash we're getting will allow Stendel to do the transfer work necessary to A.) Keep us up and B.) effectively implement his style of play. We're also going to be getting Hickey back for at least the end of the season so we're 7 figures up, finishing out the season with our first choice left back and being able to fix the mess Levein left DS..

Why are folk moaning? Because we're not getting £2,3,4 million? If he was 19 and had signed a 4 year deal I'd be in agreement but this is modern football. Smaller clubs like ourselves get ****ed every time when Man City or whoever, decide they need better youth players for their youth system that doesn't work. Every chance we could end up getting Hickey back in a few years. Islam Feruz anyone?

Also strengthens our ties with man City. 

If we get ourselves together in the future maybe another loan or 2, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hickey here next season if it is Man City either. 

They want him now because of the European rules, gives us something of an ace up our sleave to get a good price. 

We'll, maybe a king. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, h-e-a-r-t-s said:

£2.5m and a 20% sell on fee please

For me that is a winner, winner, chicken dinner. 

1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

Sky Italia is rarely wrong so I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they were at least aware of Hickey.  He's a superb talent who will play at the highest level one day.

If he were to leave us for AC Milan, what a fantastic opportunity for the boy.

And one he’d be crazy to turn down. 

On 15/12/2019 at 22:53, Mr 3 Putt said:

Having to sell a 17 year old to fix the mess we're in, thats grim.

Not really. We always knew he will be sold. Just as long we get a decent sell on fee then it's a good bit of business.

16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Celtic would get 750k of that 🤮

Has this 30% sell on fee been confirmed or just speculated?

This could be pretty interesting, if we can bank 7 figures (after Celtic get their cut) and get a good sell on fee negotiated then I’d be happy. Key thing is the sell on fee has to be decent & the initial fee HAS to go back into the playing budget to allow us to bring in some real quality.

1 minute ago, boag1874 said:

This could be pretty interesting, if we can bank 7 figures (after Celtic get their cut) and get a good sell on fee negotiated then I’d be happy. Key thing is the sell on fee has to be decent & the initial fee HAS to go back into the playing budget to allow us to bring in some real quality.

Totally agreed. 

7 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

That top floor won't finish itself, doncha know?

54 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Probably the only player at Hearts I’ve seen look left footed but then takes free kicks with his right foot 😂😂.

When interviewed after his Hibs goal he couldn’t remember which foot he used! 

PhoenixHearts

This would be great. 

I've got this seasons Milan kit (a resl beauty) but no number on the back...

Wouldn't look half bad with a 51 tbh.

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Even if he doesn’t go there it could boost his profile further and trigger a bidding war

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

yeah but they won't get any of the £30m they sell him back to the EPL for in 5 years

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

What is this Celtic chat?  Seen it a few times and not aware of it.

highlandjambo3
7 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

What is this Celtic chat?  Seen it a few times and not aware of it.

AH was Celtic youth (I think) and, they have some sort of sell on clause, 30% I read on here I think.

p.s, that’s two “I think’s” used there.......not entirely itk 

8 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

AH was Celtic youth (I think) and, they have some sort of sell on clause, 30% I read on here I think.

p.s, that’s two “I think’s” used there.......not entirely itk 

Was at Celtic and there is a sell on, not sure it was as high as 30% but with them I wouldn’t be surprised 

My brother is telling me AC Milan are also keeping tabs on Hickey. Unsure how much truth is in this. All the same it would be nice if they offered so needed hard cash for the lad.

On 20/12/2019 at 21:42, jambocub said:

Regardless what hes on now hes not signing a new deal so we need to sell him ..

And good luck to  the lad 

Plus goid bit business  from us picking him up on a free getting good performance  out him in the games he's played  and a good few quid 

Yip. 

Ex member of the SaS

If Hickey goes to AC it will be an uncomfortable plane journey. Imagine having to go all that way with Broonie in your back pocket?

I think his contract finishes at the end of this season so he could still leave for nothing.

Doesn't seem in a hurry to extend  it.

Just now, Section Q said:

I think his contract finishes at the end of this season so he could still leave for nothing.

Contract is to May 2021

Next season 

Nope. Next season. 

10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

If he leaves on a free do Celtic still get a percentage of development fee?  Might be the way ahead. 

30% I believe.