Central Midfield

Martin_T

23 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I've seen Whelan play for Villa and others over the years and I think expectations are way too high. In his time at Villa in particular he was never expected to do much. He played in  a very defensive role, he's not much of a passer of the ball - he always plays the simplest of passes. He's simply not much of a creative force. 

Correct. He is a defensive/holding midfielder. Why we are trying to make him our playmaker is beyond me. 

15 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Worryingly is the way Whelan has lost confidence. He looks as bad as anyone now. 

When he first came you could see his quality stood out.  

Being asked to do things he cant eg being a playmaker. He is a destroyer not a creator. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Being asked to do things he cant eg being a playmaker. He is a destroyer not a creator. 

Doesn’t excuse rushed passing or aimless passing. He’s a seasoned professional who should be able to adapt better. 

The cynical side can come out on you as a fan. A one year deal with a struggling team.?  If he hasn’t got the right attitude he could start to not give a ****

We don’t have a central midfield - that’s the problem. Whelan is defensive mid nothing more. He’s good in this role but should then be passing to creative mid to drive forward and create chances. 

14 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Djoum was miles ahead of those imposters out there. 

Correct mate just wasn't used properly, done alot of covering for other players too. 

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Doesn’t excuse rushed passing or aimless passing. He’s a seasoned professional who should be able to adapt better. 

The cynical side can come out on you as a fan. A one year deal with a struggling team.?  If he hasn’t got the right attitude he could start to not give a ****

Well he's hardly setting himself up for a lucrative last signing elsewhere, so best he does buck up his ideas, give a fick and work his ass of for the team thats currently paying his wages. 

Just now, TypoonJambo said:

Well he's hardly setting himself up for a lucrative last signing elsewhere, so best he does buck up his ideas, give a fick and work his ass of for the team thats currently paying his wages. 

Agree

39 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Worryingly is the way Whelan has lost confidence. He looks as bad as anyone now. 

Correct. Another poor game from Whelan again today. He really looks like he doesn’t want to be here. 

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

I think whelan needs legs around him. Cochrane would be ideal

See. This is how fecking ridiculous it gets. The same cochrane who was anonymous for dunfermline today and got subbed off ?  Aye, ideal.

2 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Bozanic has got a lot of criticism today but I can’t fault his work ethic even if his end product is awful. Whelan wasn’t much better though

They were both murder let’s be honest not good enough 

32 minutes ago, Guffers said:

See. This is how fecking ridiculous it gets. The same cochrane who was anonymous for dunfermline today and got subbed off ?  Aye, ideal.

Not really a fair comparison. Harry has played well the last few games as got himself in the first team. I think he would learn loads playing alongside whelan

45 minutes ago, Guffers said:

And Macdonald never even made it off the bench.

We are in a mountain of trouble.

15 minutes ago, Balernojambo said:

Cochrane is nowhere near the player he was but thats probably because he was over played as a 16 year old 

Honestly think with a bit of proper coaching and better players around him he'd be useful.

Captain Canada

We need urgency on the ball in midfield - quick first-time passes to willing runners. 

So many times Bozanic and Whelan just slowed things down and played a safe sideways or backwards ball. 

2 hours ago, Regular John said:

You can’t just overhaul tactics without considering the players  you have at your disposal.

Our Central midfielders were a casualty of that terrible approach today to play a high press as they were found out of position routinely, especially in the second half.

I think if anything it showed Stendel in a bad/naive light.

What is his Plan B? Are we really going to high press Celtic on Wednesday and let them pick us apart 10-0 or is he going to make a sensible approach to the game and tactics?

Spot on.

Whelan is slow, Cochrane is slow. A midfield 2 of them would be brutal. We need legs in there. I genuinely think we might have the most static immobile centre mids in the league. 

We are so one paced all over the park. The crux of the matter is we have such a lack of mobility. The 2 most mobile , Clare and Mulraney just aren’t good enough. 

We have not addressed this issue for so long there is 0 quality in there that can carry us forward. I actually feel for the defence when the pop their heads up as they did today only to have nothing on so results in a long thump up the pitch. 

What i would give for a rudi or a hartley right now. Oh and striker that can actually find the net

Apparently Cochrane has improved in the last few games at Dunfermline after a slow start. Don't know if he has a recall option but I'd have him back in January for Stendel to have a look at. Definitely think his style will get the best out of him and return him to the form he showed in games against Celtic and Hibs in 17/18.

12 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

Apparently Cochrane has improved in the last few games at Dunfermline after a slow start. Don't know if he has a recall option but I'd have him back in January for Stendel to have a look at. Definitely think his style will get the best out of him and return him to the form he showed in games against Celtic and Hibs in 17/18.

I think we do have the call back option as Stendel has already said he's recalling Both Cochrane and McDonald in January to see what they have. 

IMO both these young guys should have been in an around the first team this season. They should have 30/40 games apiece by now. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him recall Lee in January if he can. Hopefully the 2 young lads can come back and shine. They'll certainly put in the graft. 

2 hours ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

Stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes mate 

was obviously doing what manager wanted out of him 

if he was as pish poor as you made him out to be he would be nowhere near team 

I’m no saying by any means he’s top drawer but best we have with more energy than other midfielders IMO 

Nah I’m not having it. He’s not a football player. Neither is MacLean. They’re soft as shite.

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Bozanic is not good enough. 

Clare  is OK in flashes. He's also shite for long spells, tho.

Walker goes missing, but looks like the only one capable of a bit of brilliance. 

Whelan, decent all rounder. 

Damour hasn't started great, but won't discount yet. 

Mulraney, typical winger at this level. 

Meshino - lightweight but dangerous attacking wise (terrible the today, tho) 

Cochrane, still too lightweight and slow last time out. 

Irving, good potential but atm at best a squad option. 

Haring- papped atm. 

Lee would be playing right now if he was here, that's where we are at. 

Basically atm we have one good midfielder at this level and he's 36.

Who is that?

It certainly wasn't Whalen who was absolutely honking and IMO continually flatters to deceive.  In fact, since he arrived we've hardly won a game!  A couple of good passes (which yield the square root of SFA) per game and we have people on here salivating.  Someone with his background/experience needs to be asserting himself and displaying leadership and example.  I have not seen it so far.

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I never saw that when he came to us and I've not seen it since

Slated by many when I tried to question him.....not so much now

Wasted time and effort trying to sign him never mind cash on a 36 year old whose best days were well behind him..much of it in his backside

He signed and we have gone dramatically backwards..must be a coincidence say some  !!

I want every player who plays for us to succeed but if you are not capable of paying your way by the level of performance then bye bye

So Glenn get your finger out, train harder and try to show the fans why you had a pretty decent career with your former clubs....despite thinking you are a waste of a wage I want you to prove me wrong and others right but so far I was 100% right in my judgement

Another Hughes taking a wage and giving nothing..remember those who told us Hughes was worth keeping for his experience even if he did not play...what a joke.  Clearly his on field coaching has had no lasting impact on the side and Whelans 'coaching' or example is not any better

Edited by CJGJ

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Who is that?

It certainly wasn't Whalen who was absolutely honking and IMO continually flatters to deceive.  In fact, since he arrived we've hardly won a game!  A couple of good passes (which yield the square root of SFA) per game and we have people on here salivating.  Someone with his background/experience needs to be asserting himself and displaying leadership and example.  I have not seen it so far.

He wasn't good yesterday, but in general he's our only decent midfielder imo. 

Not great, decent. 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, TheGoodLord said:

Thought Bozanic was actually one of our better players in terms of work rate. 

Gave the ball away almost all the time. 

Very slow and passive as well. 

His first touch can be very, very poor at times. 

Running about does not make you a good footballer. 

The Mercer Takeover
14 hours ago, Newton51 said:

I think whelan needs legs around him. Cochrane would be ideal

Cochrane has been horrific at Dunfermline. He was hooked just after half-time yesterday.

Too slow for Hearts anyway. We need pace.

Personally i've always felt we over hyped Cochrane. Unfortunately he isn't good enough to play for Hearts. He's struggling in the Championship. He's a Scottish league 1 player at best. 

Bozanic needs to leave this January. Whelan's legs are gone. Michael Stewart was right about him. Clare is a horrendous footballer. Both Irving and McDonald don't have much of a future as footballers. They aren't good enough for this level. The standard of youth player in recent years has been exceptionally poor.

The only way we are going to improve is by coming to terms with where we are at. We have players that aren't good enough for the top 6. The goalies are worst bunch I've seen in my time supporting Hearts. The entire defence including Smith and Halkett are awful. Uche is a carthorse who has only scored 5 goals in the league during his time here. Thats appalling. Steven Maclean 😂. I'm reserving judgement on Washington. Souttar, Naismith and Haring are of a higher quality but unfortunately they are always injured. I honestly believe this current side is worse then 2013/2014 side that got relegated. That season we managed only 23 points. We are on track to achieve that this season. We have no fight and our players are crap.

Edited by Gorillajam

4 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Personally i've always felt we over hyped Cochrane. Unfortunately he isn't good enough to play for Hearts. He's struggling in the Championship. He's a Scottish league 1 player at best. 

Bozanic needs to leave this January. Whelan's legs are gone. Michael Stewart was right about him. Clare is a horrendous footballer. Both Irving and McDonald don't have much of a future as footballers. They aren't good enough for this level. The standard of youth player in recent years has been exceptionally poor.

The only way we are going to improve is by coming to terms with where we are at. We have players that aren't good enough for the top 6. The goalies are worst bunch I've seen in my time supporting Hearts. The entire defence including Smith and Halkett are awful. Uche is a carthorse who has only scored 5 goals in the league during his time here. Thats appalling. Steven Maclean 😂. I'm reserving judgement on Washington. Souttar, Naismith and Haring are of a higher quality but unfortunately they are always injured. I honestly believe this current side is worse then 2013/2014 side that got relegated. That season we managed only 23 points. We are on track to achieve that this season. We have no fight and our players are crap.

Unfair on Mcdonald, Irving, Smith & Halkett IMO

jambos are go!

Criticism of Bozanic in yesterday's match is blind prejudice IMO. He was by some margin our most consistent and committed midfielder.

Anne will have to open the biscuit tin in January to allow the new Manager to flourish. With hindsight Levein should have been replaced  long before the Cup Final.

5 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Criticism of Bozanic in yesterday's match is blind prejudice IMO. He was by some margin our most consistent and committed midfielder.

Anne will have to open the biscuit tin in January to allow the new Manager to flourish. With hindsight Levein should have been replaced  long before the Cup Final.

Nonsense. Bozanic was part of a 3 man midfield completely out fought and out played by Murray Davidson & Jason Holt.

All 3 of them should be embarrassed by their performances.

15 hours ago, Regular John said:

You can’t just overhaul tactics without considering the players  you have at your disposal.

Our Central midfielders were a casualty of that terrible approach today to play a high press as they were found out of position routinely, especially in the second half.

I think if anything it showed Stendel in a bad/naive light.

What is his Plan B? Are we really going to high press Celtic on Wednesday and let them pick us apart 10-0 or is he going to make a sensible approach to the game and tactics?

Disagree. There is no point in Stendel continuing to play the Levein/McPhee style just because we don't think he has the players to play the style he wants. The league is lost for this year but the fact that we can be utterly dreadful but still not cast adrift means Stendel is right to change the tactics and then just see who can rise to the challenge and who cannot. I expect to see quite a bit of rotation of players over the next few games but no change in tactics. To do otherwise just arrives at the same decisions but 10 times slower. Stendel will play his way and those who cannot adapt will be gone.

My personal opinion is that we need more atheletes in the team. I expect to see a change over the next couple of windows towards hard workers in the middle, and speedsters out wide.  I want fewer players who can be exposed by pace, fewer clumsy fouls by players who know they cannot keep up with their man. 

The reason Robbie Neilson was a good coach in Scotland is because he was himself the typical Scottish player of the last 2-3 decades - great engine, decent physicality, not great technically, but can do a job - he was an hard-working athelete not a natural footballer... Robbie knew his own attributes were the MINIMUM to succeed in Scotland. I question whether Levein, who made the most of natural physical attributes - pace, height,  technical skill, calmness simply didn't see what was needed in individuals because he always was focussed on the team. Somehow he noticed that we needed creativity in midfield last summer but then only brought in Glenn Whelan and Jamie Walker, both lacking any pace... 

27 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

This is just incorrect.

1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

I must have been watching a different game, thought he was easily one of the worst players on the park. 

Can't argue that Bozanic runs a lot. He has a great engine. Gash football player though. Over the last few years we have accepted mediocre players. I'm guilty of it, but I have absolutely run out of patience now. I can't stand seeing any of our 3 goalkeepers, Berra, Whelan, Clare, Bozanic, Meshino, Maclean, Wighton or Uche in our line up. I think I can also add Walker, Mulraney and Damour to that list now.

That doesn't leave a lot of trusted players left for me. Naismith, Souttar and Smith. Obviously Cochrane hasn't kicked on like we hoped at Dunfermline and McDonald has been injured, but would we be worse off had they been kept at the club instead of employing these imposters we watch week in, week out? At least we would connect with them as fans, as I have no affiliation with poor foreign signings. 

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Gave the ball away almost all the time. 

Very slow and passive as well. 

His first touch can be very, very poor at times. 

Running about does not make you a good footballer. 

Not arguing with most of that. But at least he got on the ball. Walker for example didn’t give the ball away on account of the fact he was never on it. He hid for the entirety which inho is far worse. 

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, TheGoodLord said:

Not arguing with most of that. But at least he got on the ball. Walker for example didn’t give the ball away on account of the fact he was never on it. He hid for the entirety which inho is far worse. 

Walker was part of our best two or three moments in the game. 

Not good enough overall but in terms being a footballer walker is on a different planet compared to Bozanic. 

He also never hid, put in the best tackle of the game iirc, almost burst the boy.