Central Midfield

Martin_T

I think it's as bad as I can ever remember it being during my time supporting the club. Whelan and Bozanic should never play as a partnership again.

You can't play a high press with no one breaking from midfield to join the press. We desperately need some energy in there. Damour was one of the very few bright things from today as he at least looked energetic when he came on. I'd be tempted to start with him and Irving against Celtic.

Holyrood_Hearts

Bozanic has got a lot of criticism today but I can’t fault his work ethic even if his end product is awful. Whelan wasn’t much better though

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

I think it's as bad as I can ever remember it being during my time supporting the club. Whelan and Bozanic should never play as a partnership again.

You can't play a high press with no one breaking from midfield to join the press. We desperately need some energy in there. Damour was one of the very few bright things from today as he at least looked energetic when he came on. I'd be tempted to start with him and Irving against Celtic.

Damour offered very little I thought. Not seen enough of him to judge but if bozanic is keeping him out it doesnt look good for him.

St Johnstone had Holt and Davidson.  I'd take them over Whelan and Bozanic every time.

Not possible to be a good team with such poor midfielders.  So negative on the ball and both so slow

The midfield is where Levein has really really screwed things up. 

I know we are not great everywhere else but Naismith and Washington were good signings as was/should have been Halkett. 

But the whole midfield is an utter abomination. No pace, no identity, no creativity. Absolutely dreadful. And Levein has three seasons to fix that. 

1 minute ago, Glottis said:

Bozanic isn't good enough for this league

Not just him sadly it really is astonishing the state Levein has got us in and how he’s still at the club even more so 

I hope that Stendel has got Assurances that he is allowed to bring in new players and his own back round team a would like to think he has 

Whelan simply here topping up his pension and ticking over so he can add to his ROI caps , Bozanic and him must never play together again . 
Another shameful decision by the previous coach to sign an over the hill player 

You can’t just overhaul tactics without considering the players  you have at your disposal.

Our Central midfielders were a casualty of that terrible approach today to play a high press as they were found out of position routinely, especially in the second half.

I think if anything it showed Stendel in a bad/naive light.

What is his Plan B? Are we really going to high press Celtic on Wednesday and let them pick us apart 10-0 or is he going to make a sensible approach to the game and tactics?

I say this every week but I can't believe Bozanic plays for us. Arguably the worst player I've seen in Maroon. Shocking player. Whelan is supposedly immense on the international stage yet he's been mince. Was terrible today, against Killie and Livi. Not good enough.

31 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Bozanic has got a lot of criticism today but I can’t fault his work ethic even if his end product is awful. Whelan wasn’t much better though

No, no, no a championship player at best. Offers nil, headless chicken, can't run, pass or cross, never mind tackle. He can take a pass from 5 yards away most times but gives us nothing, zilch, zero, nada...an empty shirt and a wage thief. He should be embarrassed taking a wage for what he's given us for a season and a half...however he's one of many on the Hearts gravy train...sad

35 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

So he works hard and is utter shite that’s great.

StevenNaismith

Bozanic is an awful footballer. Unfortunately today when the high press resulted in the ball breaking to us it seemed to fall to him and he done nothing with it.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

The whole squad is set up with defence in mind. Keep it solid at the back and pinch a goal, or accept a goalless draw. Philosophy comes completely unstuck when the defence is leaky. No plan b and no midfielder or strikers to play in a positive fashion.

Bazzas right boot

Bozanic is not good enough. 

Clare  is OK in flashes. He's also shite for long spells, tho.

Walker goes missing, but looks like the only one capable of a bit of brilliance. 

Whelan, decent all rounder. 

Damour hasn't started great, but won't discount yet. 

Mulraney, typical winger at this level. 

Meshino - lightweight but dangerous attacking wise (terrible the today, tho) 

Cochrane, still too lightweight and slow last time out. 

Irving, good potential but atm at best a squad option. 

Haring- papped atm. 

Lee would be playing right now if he was here, that's where we are at. 

Basically atm we have one good midfielder at this level and he's 36.

8 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I think whelan needs legs around him. Cochrane would be ideal

Or Haring.

It's going to be a long hard winter. We need to start at the back first though IMO. Craig Gordon would be an ideal signing in January along with a good no nonsense CH. We also need to find someone with a scoring touch. 

7 minutes ago, Regular John said:

You can’t just overhaul tactics without considering the players  you have at your disposal.

Our Central midfielders were a casualty of that terrible approach today to play a high press as they were found out of position routinely, especially in the second half.

I think if anything it showed Stendel in a bad/naive light.

What is his Plan B? Are we really going to high press Celtic on Wednesday and let them pick us apart 10-0 or is he going to make a sensible approach to the game and tactics?

Youre right, we should stick with the same tactics that have worked so far this season. 

It's not Stendals fault Bozanic isn't good enough.

Damour has been humpty so far too as well but I'd stick him in on Wednesday with Irving and one other. 

You have to wonder about the process which saw Bozanic brought to Hearts. A journeyman career at low level clubs.  Must have had quite the editing on his videos to coax Levein and MacPhee onto signing him.  He's desperately poor.

5 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Or Haring.

It's going to be a long hard winter. We need to start at the back first though IMO. Craig Gordon would be an ideal signing in January along with a good no nonsense CH. We also need to find someone with a scoring touch. 

need to create chances for a goalscorer.  Even Suarez would struggle to score for us (mibbe!)

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Bozanic is not good enough. 

Clare  is OK in flashes. He's also shite for long spells, tho.

Walker goes missing, but looks like the only one capable of a bit of brilliance. 

Whelan, decent all rounder. 

Damour hasn't started great, but won't discount yet. 

Mulraney, typical winger at this level. 

Meshino - lightweight but dangerous attacking wise (terrible the today, tho) 

Cochrane, still too lightweight and slow last time out. 

Irving, good potential but atm at best a squad option. 

Haring- papped atm. 

Lee would be playing right now if he was here, that's where we are at. 

Basically atm we have one good midfielder at this level and he's 36.

That's absolutely shocking though mate and someone needs to be held responsible for this, out of all they midfielders I can honestly say the most attacking one is Olly Lee the rest are defensive midfielders at best Haring maybe more box to box? Cochrane I see him as a more deep lying play maker?. 

Edit sorry I see you mentioned Walker and Clare too they are attacking as well but centrally we are very poor going forward 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Holyrood_Hearts
6 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

So he works hard and is utter shite that’s great.

I never said it was. We all criticise players for not working hard enough & I don’t think that can be levelled at him today. Unfortunately most of our midfield play & majority of set pieces went through him 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

That's absolutely shocking though mate and someone needs to be held responsible for this, out of all they midfielders I can honestly say the most attacking one is Olly Lee the rest are defensive midfielders at best Haring maybe more box to box? Cochrane I see him as a more deep lying play maker?. 

I liked Lee. 

Played  football. 

A midfielder that hit a shot, played a pass. 

Not great, but decent. 

Far better than Bozanic. 

Better than Damour so far. 

More effective than Clare. 

Damour should be better giving his cv. 

8 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

I never said it was. We all criticise players for not working hard enough & I don’t think that can be levelled at him today. Unfortunately most of our midfield play & majority of set pieces went through him 

Hence why we created **** all, the guy is shite. His deliveries from corners in the first few minutes summed him up.

Bozanic is an imposter of a football player. He’s a lazy spineless ***** that doesn’t give a single flying **** whether we win, lose or draw.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I liked Lee. 

Played  football. 

A midfielder that hit a shot, played a pass. 

Not great, but decent. 

Far better than Bozanic. 

Better than Damour so far. 

More effective than Clare. 

Damour should be better giving his cv. 

Lee was shipped out on loan though mate because he had a disagreement with Levein about tactics the guy had something like 6 goals and 13 assists crazy to loan him out. 

Considering what we are left

with, I agree though Lee would be a better option than half of these imposters. 

39 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

The midfield is where Levein has really really screwed things up. 

I know we are not great everywhere else but Naismith and Washington were good signings as was/should have been Halkett. 

But the whole midfield is an utter abomination. No pace, no identity, no creativity. Absolutely dreadful. And Levein has three seasons to fix that. 

That’s cause he doesn’t believe in midfield just wants hatchet men 

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Lee was shipped out on loan though mate because he had a disagreement with Levein about tactics the guy had something like 6 goals and 13 assists crazy to loan him out. 

Considering what we are left

with, I agree though Lee would be a better option than half of these imposters. 

Levein needs booted out of this club for moral sake 

32 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Whelan simply here topping up his pension and ticking over so he can add to his ROI caps , Bozanic and him must never play together again . 
Another shameful decision by the previous coach to sign an over the hill player 

Whelan was awful, never played a pass all day, bozanic is an impostor, Clare a passenger, Walker is the invisible man. We have no midfield, no back 4 and no forward threat. We have nothing in our locker. I’ve had the last 39 Saturday nights spoiled for the last 3 years.  I’m dreading Wednesday night 

1 minute ago, Jambo Hardhat said:

Whelan was awful, never played a pass all day, bozanic is an impostor, Clare a passenger, Walker is the invisible man. We have no midfield, no back 4 and no forward threat. We have nothing in our locker. I’ve had the last 39 Saturday nights spoiled for the last 3 years.  I’m dreading Wednesday night 

I've seen Whelan play for Villa and others over the years and I think expectations are way too high. In his time at Villa in particular he was never expected to do much. He played in  a very defensive role, he's not much of a passer of the ball - he always plays the simplest of passes. He's simply not much of a creative force. 

1 minute ago, Jambo Hardhat said:

Wednesday night could well be horrific . They should rest a few players as they could beat us with a reserve team , but the lurgan bigot will go for the throat. 
Whelan can go now for me , not interested in us . 
Why is it when a Hearts player is in space running forward the pass played to him is usually behind him ? Basic football skills are seriously lacking 

Leveins Battalion
14 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Levein needs booted out of this club for moral sake 

No,he and Macphee are working on finding us the next Kenny Anderson or David Vanaecek.

That and "some other stuff"

49 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I think whelan needs legs around him. Cochrane would be ideal

Legs is one thing that Cochrane definitely has not got.

That's not one of his strengths.

Worryingly is the way Whelan has lost confidence. He looks as bad as anyone now. 

When he first came you could see his quality stood out.  

2 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

We so badly need Haring back 

I would also add djoum, came under a lot of unfair criticism as well, far better than some of them playing currently for us, I found it astonishing at times that Levein played him out on the left hand side or the right mind boggling to be honest, everyone knew he was best played in the centre of midfield or just behind the striker honestly talk about ruining players my bloods boiling. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

18 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Bozanic is an imposter of a football player. He’s a lazy spineless ***** that doesn’t give a single flying **** whether we win, lose or draw.

Are you sure you’ve no got the number 7 and 8 mixed up mate 

Bosanic s position is more of a holding aggressive tackling player who is there to break up opposition play and runs his heart out even although his distribution generally poor 

He was not one of the two attacking midfielders subbed ?

Thank feck the reputation that’s arrived with Stendel shows he knows a team needs this kind of player no like a lot of our support 

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Worryingly is the way Whelan has lost confidence. He looks as bad as anyone now. 

it’s happened fairly often. Lee and Demi Mitchell are two who spring to mind. People used to say when you played shit teams you get dragged down to their level. At hearts good players get dragged down to the level of the players around them.

5 minutes ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

Are you sure you’ve no got the number 7 and 8 mixed up mate 

Bosanic s position is more of a holding aggressive tackling player who is there to break up opposition play and runs his heart out even although his distribution generally poor 

He was not one of the two attacking midfielders subbed ?

Thank feck the reputation that’s arrived with Stendel shows he knows a team needs this kind of player no like a lot of our support 

Are you taking the piss? You think Bozanic broke up play and ran his heart out? He’s a useless ***** get him to ****.

8 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Whelan was shocking today, I really couldn't believe what I was witnessing. 

5 minutes ago, Jimw44 said:

Bozanic clare and Whelan must be the worst midfield zi have seen in a hearts line up.  Absolutely shocking 

Horrendous 

Arthur Morgan
8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I would also add djoum, came under a lot of unfair criticism as well, far better than some of them playing currently for us, I found it astonishing at times that Levein played him out on the left hand side or the right mind boggling to be honest, everyone knew he was best played in the centre of midfield or just behind the striker honestly talk about ruining players my bloods boiling. 

Djoum was miles ahead of those imposters out there. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Are you taking the piss? You think Bozanic broke up play and ran his heart out? He’s a useless ***** get him to ****.

Stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes mate 

was obviously doing what manager wanted out of him 

if he was as pish poor as you made him out to be he would be nowhere near team 

I’m no saying by any means he’s top drawer but best we have with more energy than other midfielders IMO