English Championship

jock _turd

"A bubble waiting to burst" according to the ex- owner of Wigan AFC . In an article in the BBC sports section he states that the Championship spending and losses being made by clubs in an effort to get to the EPL is unsustainable and within five years he would not be surprised to see clubs go to the wall. He stated before he sold up at Wigan he and his family were pumping nearly a million pounds a month into the club to keep it going, this despite the fact they actually had the fourth lowest wage bill in the league !

Bazzas right boot

The losses are ridiculous down there at that level. 

And the business practices, how can clubs £50/£60m, many at around £100m in debt  pay £8m fees and £millions in new wages?

Makes no sense. 

Make rangers p&l managent look good. 

I heard the same story every couple of years for the last 10 years and while it may eventually happen it doesn’t look like it will be anytime soon, the clamour from the mega rich to be involved in English football means that these clubs will always find new investment!

He even proves this in that quote as someone bought his club even though it needed 12m pa to cover its shortfall! Clubs in England don’t need to be run like a business that worries about P&L as they have an abundance of people waiting to get involved until that stops they will be fine  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Unsustainable for some clubs, but some very big clubs with huge fanbases in that league, when they get it right. Just as we were entering admin, Leicester City were finding their feet in that league. An example of what can be done and what is more than sustainable in England with investment.

Qatar waiting in the wings should Leeds finish the job

Think clubs at that level will start to rein it in a bit soon enough. It's the sides yet to be relegated from the prem who've been in this bubble for just too long that should worry. Southampton, Watford and the likes. Huge squads on massively inflated wages on long term deals, if they go down they're in real danger of being stuck with a 20 man on squad 2/3rds of which are on 60k+ a week playing in front of championship crowds. Will end in tears for someone. 

Bournemouth, Burnley, Sheff Utd, they've shown it can be done sustainably. 

6 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Think clubs at that level will start to rein it in a bit soon enough. It's the sides yet to be relegated from the prem who've been in this bubble for just too long that should worry. Southampton, Watford and the likes. Huge squads on massively inflated wages on long term deals, if they go down they're in real danger of being stuck with a 20 man on squad 2/3rds of which are on 60k+ a week playing in front of championship crowds. Will end in tears for someone. 

Bournemouth, Burnley, Sheff Utd, they've shown it can be done sustainably. 

If Bournemouth hadn’t have gone up when they did, they would have faced very strong disciplinary action the following season because they broke the financial fair play rules so badly. 

7 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I hope Leeds get up before the collapse.

Me too.

My ‘English team’ when I was a wee boy.

alwaysthereinspirit
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Me too.

My ‘English team’ when I was a wee boy.

I could still name the team from early 70’s.

just something that got stuck in a wee corner of my brain. Even got the all yellow kit for Christmas.

1 minute ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

just something that got stuck in a wee corner of my brain. Even got the all yellow kit for Christmas.

Every Leeds fan cloud, because you all live in the past, because the recent past, present, and future is depressing for you, after what you used to be. 

alwaysthereinspirit
5 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Every Leeds fan cloud, because you all live in the past, because the recent past, present, and future is depressing for you, after what you used to be. 

Wait, what???

17 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

I heard the port vale owner saying one players annual wages is higher than her entire budget for her club 😩😩😩

Aston Villa spent more money net on transfer fees in the summer of their first season in the championship than Barnsley have in their history, still didn’t get them promoted and we beat them at Villa Park. 

19 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Wait, what???

Go to Bellend Road have a look round, buy a programme, have pint in the local pubs, it’s like the 1970 and the last 40 plus years only had 1992 in it. Living in the past FC 

EasternRossco
2 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Go to Bellend Road have a look round, buy a programme, have pint in the local pubs, it’s like the 1970 and the last 40 plus years only had 1992 in it. Living in the past FC 

As a season ticket holder I can tell you that is wildly inaccurate. Apart from Liverpool I'd say we have the biggest current buzz around us out of all the sides in the UK. Mind you.... I guess I would say that! 

5 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

The Aberdeen of England :lol:

alwaysthereinspirit
11 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

I was 9.

12 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Yes, me too!

12 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Eh?

11 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

You don’t like Leeds, do you?  :lol: 

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Bellend road 🤣....

is that a real place?..... there’s a few people in here should consider a move there.  Bellends from Bellend 😁

alwaysthereinspirit
23 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Bellend road 🤣....

is that a real place?..... there’s a few people in here should consider a move there.  Bellends from Bellend 😁

I'm guessing its the equivalent of our Fester Road.

51 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Bellend road 🤣....

Elland Road!

I have so much more time for the Championship clubs and far more respect for the fans within.  I have ran out of anything positive to say about the Premiership.  I simply can no longer stomach it.  New age fans, foreign owners, sponsors, stadium names, the works.  A league that sold it's soul and vital organs.  The gulf is similar to what we see up here. You are either the big guns or a piece of shit.

Would love to see Forrest, Leeds, Wednesday etc back in the big league but fear they would soon become ***** too.  Football is ****ed anyway.

:sob:

Edited by i8hibsh

Unfortunately the prem is very sterile & plastic. Money rules everything, it’s king.

The thing about Leeds Utd is they have been away from it for so long they would enter it like a bunch of Vikings and stand on a few toes so to speak and the prem will hate that. Excellent.

14 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Stick to your Baaaaaaaaarnsley chat dude.....!  

Leeds are a different animal this season and fingers crossed they make it to the EPL.. as for Barnsley... ? 

14 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Ha ha.. Elland Road is like living in the 70s... from a Barnsley fan that is pretty rich... Barnsley,  the dark ring of Yorkshire... its where the next series of the Walking Dead is being filmed.. with no actors or make up required... 🤪👍

Leeds Utd became a favourite for wee Scottish laddies because of all the Scottish players they had at the time it wasn’t for the winning of trophy’s.

If you hang around this forum Nightmare you will realise it’s got nothing to do with glory hunting. 

3 hours ago, gorgieheart said:

Stick to your Baaaaaaaaarnsley chat dude.....!  

Leeds are a different animal this season and fingers crossed they make it to the EPL.. as for Barnsley... ? 

How many seasons have you said that including, last season

17 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

I have  been to Oakwell to watch Leeds United and Elland Road numerous times so feel I can opine.

Barnsley is a complete hovel. Another no mark team desperate for a rivalry with Leeds.

For any Hearts fan that went to Rotherham a few seasons back- Barnsley is worse than that.

Quite like Championship Football. Not as good as EPL but miles ahead of the SPFL dross.

If teams go bust I couldn't give a Shit.

I doubt anybody could unless you support them despite rubbish spouted about how much of a shame it would be.

Football at every level is corrupt, we all know it is.

1 hour ago, Noah Claypole said:

Quite like Championship Football. Not as good as EPL but miles ahead of the SPFL dross.

If teams go bust I couldn't give a Shit.

I doubt anybody could unless you support them despite rubbish spouted about how much of a shame it would be.

Football at every level is corrupt, we all know it is.

I was at Birmingham v QPR on Wednesday and can confirm, if that's the standard, then you're talking nonsense.

We would take care of both sides no problem at all. The standard was awful. 5 yard passes going out of play, shots hitting corner flags, wingers falling over their own feet. Utterly utterly awful.

22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I was at Birmingham v QPR on Wednesday and can confirm, if that's the standard, then you're talking nonsense.

We would take care of both sides no problem at all. The standard was awful. 5 yard passes going out of play, shots hitting corner flags, wingers falling over their own feet. Utterly utterly awful.

I can confirm that's not the standard, Charlton v Hull now is testament to the fact. Cracking game. 

34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I watch most Leeds games. Its pretty  decent and most games are exciting enough. Nearly every side (sorry Barnsley) are decent. 

In particular this season aside from Leeds and West Brom who are miles ahead heading for promotion, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham, Brentford, Bristol City look decent. 

The problem is it's so competitive it's hard to really get a good run going.

(Leeds are unbeaten in 10, 7 wins in a row and West Brom unbeaten in 11). 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I watch most Leeds games. Its pretty  decent and most games are exciting enough. Nearly every side (sorry Barnsley) are decent. 

In particular this season aside from Leeds and West Brom who are miles ahead heading for promotion, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham, Brentford, Bristol City look decent. 

The problem is it's so competitive it's hard to really get a good run going.

(Leeds are unbeaten in 10, 7 wins in a row and West Brom unbeaten in 11). 

Good post.

I'd say the intensity is more the issue, it's 3 games a week basically for the entire season. It's why a team half way up the league at Xmas can be promoted. 

It plays perfectly into the hands of the EPL because teams come up and are battle hardened and competitive. 

The EPL should publically recognise this and contribute accordingly instead of the parachute payment nonsense.

13 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

How many seasons have you said that including, last season

Erm... just this one..  that ok  ?  

On 13/12/2019 at 00:24, NlGHTMARE said:

On 13/12/2019 at 00:52, NlGHTMARE said:

🤣🤣

I love this,yourself and many Barnsley fans come onto Kickback,makes a really good impression, makes a lot of friends but mention Leeds and the gloves come off 

On 12/12/2019 at 13:48, jock _turd said:

"A bubble waiting to burst" according to the ex- owner of Wigan AFC . In an article in the BBC sports section he states that the Championship spending and losses being made by clubs in an effort to get to the EPL is unsustainable and within five years he would not be surprised to see clubs go to the wall. He stated before he sold up at Wigan he and his family were pumping nearly a million pounds a month into the club to keep it going, this despite the fact they actually had the fourth lowest wage bill in the league !

Huge risk overspending when only 3 out 24 clubs can get promoted. 

2 hours ago, Bozi said:

🤣🤣

I love this,yourself and many Barnsley fans come onto Kickback,makes a really good impression, makes a lot of friends but mention Leeds and the gloves come off 

Couldn't care less about them to be honest, I don’t even see them as a derby, and most of the time forget they’re even from Yorkshire, we’ve 4 teams in South Yorkshire that’s enough not to give two ****s about them, but I’m right in what I’m saying, they’re Living In The Past FC. No axe to grind with them but it’s 100% true, come down and see for yourself. They sing a song about being champions of Europe, which they’ve never been, when was that when they got close ? Way way way in the past. Singing songs about something that never happened as though it did 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂