Spiers on Stendel

jambovambo

46 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Personally I couldn't care less what he says either but that's not the point. The point which you're now avoiding is you implied he's some sort of Rangers fan boy who would have nothing contrary to say about them while taking swipes at Stendel.

The reality is he has been consistently infinitely more critical of them than he has of Stendel or Hearts. As for this hero status nonsense I have no idea where that's being pulled from. 

Of course he's been more critical of the huns than Stendel he only heard of Stendel on Tuesday , like the rest of the back page Hemingways in Scotland. Give him time he will soon spout more pish.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• EIEIO

• sadj

• JFK-1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

You're perfectly entitled to have any opinion you like, as is Spiers - I just don't know what it is!

How do you know your impression was the same as Spiers'? He didn't say what his issue was! (apart from the unkempt hair, and I'm assuming you're not just referring to that). What made you (and Speirs) feel uneasy, can you elaborate? What was unclear?

I thought it was an awkward press conference tbh, but only because of the journalists' typically negative line of questioning and quite unfriendly tone - all about Barnsley and the process like that was the big story. Once Stendel was allowed to talk about football he came across well.

King Of The Cat Cafe

The fact that someone who purports to be a serious sports journalist in a country where there are passionate divisions among football supporters has been seen to carry in his briefcase a scarf denoting his love for one team says all you need to know about the integrity of Mr Spiers.

Journalists who care about their trade do not openly show favouritism to one team above another.

45 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Personally I couldn't care less what he says either but that's not the point. The point which you're now avoiding is you implied he's some sort of Rangers fan boy who would have nothing contrary to say about them while taking swipes at Stendel.

The reality is he has been consistently infinitely more critical of them than he has of Stendel or Hearts. As for this hero status nonsense I have no idea where that's being pulled from. 

I remember his emotional stab at trying to say Rangers shouldn't be stripped of titles. Instead of taking the emotion out of it, Spiers was all 'it's all hate and bile' instead of seeing it unemotionally about FACTS. He sounded like he'd written it after a bottle of whisky. 

He thinks there is an entitlement for Rangers to lord it. He shows this lots when Rangers status was destroyed (by the club itself).

Just my opinion, of course.

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I thought it was an awkward press conference tbh, but only because of the journalists' typically negative line of questioning and quite unfriendly tone - all about Barnsley and the process like that was the big story. Once Stendel was allowed to talk about football he came across well.

That's very fair comment - whereas the one thing that did come across in the tweet was that Spiers felt the cause of the 'unease' was Stendel/Hearts.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Did you even read what he has said about them? That's a dyed in the wool fan to you? Those are things even a casual supporter would say about them? If you think that qualifies as a Rangers fan I don't know what qualifies as a non fan in your world.

Spiers is a rangers fan that is fact.

15 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I remember his emotional stab at trying to say Rangers shouldn't be stripped of titles. Instead of taking the emotion out of it, Spiers was all 'it's all hate and bile' instead of seeing it unemotionally about FACTS. He sounded like he'd written it after a bottle of whisky. 

He thinks there is an entitlement for Rangers to lord it. He shows this lots when Rangers status was destroyed (by the club itself).

Just my opinion, of course.

So, as others say above, Spiers has the odd go at Rangers, even in areas that the club is oh so sensitive about but when it really mattered, when the club needed a good kicking by cheating away for years, Spiers was speaking in their defence lol.

9 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Has Mr Spiers explained what "wasn't right" about it/him? 

Has anyone seen F is for Family?  There's an old German guy that stays in the street, always ready with a good morning and a hello and there to help people out but no one in the street truly trusts him because of his accent and the kids are scared of him because people said something "just isn't right" about him. 

Completely off topic, but FIFF is one of the best shows I’ve ever watched. I’m a aware that Bill Burr is a stand up comic over there, but I’ve never seen anythin he’s done other than this. But **** me, he’s good in this! And back on topic, yer point is spot on! Otto Holstenwasser approves 😊

920C6527-AE2A-4F9F-881A-E91250633F08.jpeg

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

"Unkempt appearance". Jesus Christ! (with appropriate apologies),

I know. That was the worse thing about that Tweet.

Yet another example of very unnecessary personal criticism of someone at Hearts - we've seen it against Cathro, Levein, McPhee and now Stendel on his first day. No other people working for other teams in Scotland get this level of personal abuse - in Levein's case, sustained personal abuse from one person - from professional journalists and pundits. Levein's big enough to take it and in some respects deserved it but Cathro, McPhee and now Stendel have got it before they've even done anything.

Edited by ToqueJambo

I was listening to the radio tonight and Craig Beattie and Stephen  Craigan were talking about Stendel and they said he only had 100 games as a manager and was sacked from his last two jobs....yes there is truth in that but they miss out the positives...Jose was sacked from his last 2 jobs but is paid circa £20m a year at Spurs

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

I was listening to the radio tonight and Craig Beattie and Stephen  Craigan were talking about Stendel and they said he only had 100 games as a manager and was sacked from his last two jobs....yes there is truth in that but they miss out the positives...Jose was sacked from his last 2 jobs but is paid circa £20m a year at Spurs

Robbie Neilson had no games and did a great job.

The media's favourite for the Hearts job Stephen Robinson only had 30 or so before getting the Well job, and a terrible record at that.

16 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

Craigan is a perfect specimen of the incompetence of the MSM.

Add all their IQ's together and you'd get about 75.  And that is taking into account that twittering Speirs has a high IQ but, sadly, no wisdom.

It was the same with the bias of West Coast media back in the 60's.

Plus ca change . . . .

The entire media reaction to this has been utterly poor.

I've not seen, read or heard a positive from any journalist in a paper or BBC employee online / radio yet.

It's all negative.

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

I've not seen, read or heard a positive from any journalist in a paper or BBC employee online / radio yet.

It's all negative.

I'm at sea so have missed most of the shitshow, but I'm not surprised by what I'm reading on here.

The best way for Mr Stendel to ram it right up all of their farters is to turn us around on the pitch.

Keegan_3293739b.jpg

WheatfieldWarrior
14 hours ago, Jocam2325 said:

There rightly are concerns. From me. We appoint someone with no experience of Scottish football. Not much by the way of a track record elsewhere. That said, every appointment is a risk. The fact he looks untidy and uncomfortable at his first press conference means nowt. 

We have a track record as football supporters of getting excited with new players, managers etc etc and time after time we end up disappointed. 

I am pleased that the club have got who they appear to have been after and hope against hope that he turns out to be the right man. 

We all slagged Kris Boyd and his like with their criticism of Cathros appointment and style and they were all right.  I am not going to get too self righteous in condemnation of them qustioning Stendles appointment but will choose to ignore what they say and hope that he turns out well for us.  

Boyd's criticism was that Cathro wasn't big loud Glaswegian and that he owned a sorcerous laptop computer when he should have been guessing.

Most new managers last a year or less so it's a cynical percentage game to say he wouldn't make it. 

6 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm at sea so have missed most of the shitshow, but I'm not surprised by what I'm reading on here.

The best way for Mr Stendel to ram it right up all of their farters is to turn us around on the pitch.

Keegan_3293739b.jpg

100%

Hope he makes them eat their words.

queensferryjambo

What exactly have Hearts done to the Scottish media that warrants this constant negative press from all sides?

I just don't get it. If Hibs, St Mirren, Motherwell etc had appointed the same guy the press would be welcoming and enthusiastic IMO

The first step in unifying our club and supporters is that excitement we get when the media starts clutching at straws.  ****ing love it.

Daniel’s already upset them.  They fear the unknown and the only way they deal with it is with casual xenophobia.  

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

What exactly have Hearts done to the Scottish media that warrants this constant negative press from all sides?

I just don't get it. If Hibs, St Mirren, Motherwell etc had appointed the same guy the press would be welcoming and enthusiastic IMO

Probably Vlad calling them monkeys helped.

:callme:

Салатные палочки
9 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Completely off topic, but FIFF is one of the best shows I’ve ever watched. I’m a aware that Bill Burr is a stand up comic over there, but I’ve never seen anythin he’s done other than this. But **** me, he’s good in this! And back on topic, yer point is spot on! Otto Holstenwasser approves 😊

920C6527-AE2A-4F9F-881A-E91250633F08.jpeg

I discovered it one night when I was bored and flicking through Netflix and I am surprised it's not more popular. So many great characters.  

Tokyo Drifter
22 hours ago, jambovambo said:

"I came away from Tynecastle yesterday feeling uneasy and unconvinced by Daniel Stendel’s appointment

. He seemed unkempt and unclear on various issues. I really admire Ann Budge - I just hope she’s called this right."

https://twitter.com/GrahamSpiers/status/1204708562699726848?s=20

Interesting thread. Spiers did call Cathro right, though (mind you, he also thought Hecky was God's gift to football). Hopefully Stendel will do his talking through the team, on the pitch.

queensferryjambo
2 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Interesting thread. Spiers did call Cathro right

To be fair when you predict whether a manager will be a success or not your chances of being right are 50/50 :) 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

7 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

To be fair when you predict whether a manager will be a success or not your chances of being right are 50/50 :) 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I would say that it's more like 70/30 that he will eventually fail.  That's why the doomsayers spend most of the time preening themselves.

It takes a lot more courage to fight to the end - equality we ask of our players but seldom apply to ourselves.

9 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

It's all negative.

Mark Atkinson was fairly positive.

Ainsley Harriott

Daniel has managed at a higher level than any other manager in Scotland. Gerard put out the cones for the Liverpool reserves and  Yellow Teeth flopped at Bolton. 

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Probably Vlad calling them monkeys helped.

:callme:

"Judging by the pre-planned squeals the media monkeys are making, Hearts has hit the point with the move."
"I believe that with only one competitive win in 15 games, only fools and idiots would not raise questions and suspicions."

Mr Romanov bang on the cash with regards to the Scottish media. Poetic.

13 hours ago, salvo69 said:

That’s 100 games more than Gerrard before he took over at Rangers, Lennon before he took over at Celtic the first time, and countless other managers in Scottish football over the years.

Stendel has experience of playing at a very high level, has managed in two different countries before coming here (not something many Scottish managers have), and has a favoured style of playing that is right up our street. The media criticism is bizarre.

1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

Spiers is a ******* dick.

A total nothing.

He is stool water.

:rofl:

And in one fell swoop, credibility (if he had any) shot to pieces!

4 hours ago, Mcalford said:

Mark Atkinson was fairly positive.

Good to see not everything is doom and gloom out there.

Considering that Spiers has the demeanour of a melting jobbie, he's hardly placed to comment on the appearance of others.

The Scottish MSM all seem to have the same mindset when it comes to ideas outside the "accepted" norm.  I really hope we can prove them seriously wrong.

Edited by Fun Boaby

Bazzas right boot
On 11/12/2019 at 13:13, Ex member of the SaS said:

Budge should be looking for a new manager just in case we lose the first game under Stendel.

Feck the media and lets get behind the new manager and show them the " OF " are nothing to fear.

I'll be happy with showing them Kilmarnock are nothing to fear. 

Walk before we can run. 😳

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Worst thing is some off our own support will believe him

Guts like M Stewart and our own Gary buy into it as well. 

Shame. 

18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Guts like M Stewart and our own Gary buy into it as well. 

Shame. 

Mackays second article was more positive the earlier one whingeing about temporary roles for MacPhee and Levein rather than highlighting Stendel's appointment was worthy of some of the regulars on the Hearts Facebook groups.  Mackay is becoming more like a Mikey Stewart can't see past his hatred/dislike of Levein to see a positive story. With friends like these etc.

I often criticise the EEN but their coverage that I have spied on line seems pretty positive.

15 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

It's all negative.

I said something very similar mate. No issue with the appointment being challenged if it's also balanced .... even a bit.

"He's got no experience of Scottish Football" - yes but he does have relatively successful and positive experience of English and German Football.

"He only has 100 games" - way more than lots of managers who get the job after stepping up within clubs.

"He was unkempt"  .... er that one should just be ignored.

I'm totally fine with the appointment being analysed properly, both positive and negative but it just seems to have been a really negative response with equally flimsy reasoning.     

Big Slim Stylee
14 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Mackays second article was more positive the earlier one whingeing about temporary roles for MacPhee and Levein rather than highlighting Stendel's appointment was worthy of some of the regulars on the Hearts Facebook groups.  Mackay is becoming more like a Mikey Stewart can't see past his hatred/dislike of Levein to see a positive story. With friends like these etc.

I often criticise the EEN but their coverage that I have spied on line seems pretty positive.

Mackay just really gets on my tits nowadays. Shame as I was a big fan of his back in the day.

Why do people bother even reading Spiers, he only writes stuff to get a reaction, he is not a journalist, he is a wind up merchant.  His views are insignificant and best ignored.

Edited by brux

Spiers is a good and fair journalist. He's giving his opinion, his first impression of DS. You don't have to agree with him, any sane person knows only time will tell whether DS is a success or not. As a relatively inexperienced manager, taking over a failing team in a league he has no experience of, there are plenty of potential problems for him. Spiers clearly wasn't overly impressed by his first exposure to DS, fair enough. Hopefully DS can convince all of those who have some doubts about his appointment that he is indeed the right man for the job.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, tynewater said:

Spiers is a good and fair journalist. He's giving his opinion, his first impression of DS. You don't have to agree with him, any sane person knows only time will tell whether DS is a success or not. As a relatively inexperienced manager, taking over a failing team in a league he has no experience of, there are plenty of potential problems for him. Spiers clearly wasn't overly impressed by his first exposure to DS, fair enough. Hopefully DS can convince all of those who have some doubts about his appointment that he is indeed the right man for the job.

Focusing on personal appearance is not good or fair journalism. Speirs used to be one of the better journalists. I used to admire him as probably the first willing to address the sectarianism in Scottish football.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Focusing on personal appearance is not good or fair journalism. Speirs used to be one of the better journalists. I used to admire him as probably the first willing to address the sectarianism in Scottish football.

That's good to hear.  Maybe he's not so bad.

11 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Ed it - hard to say

Edited by Riccarton3

18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Anyone know what Spiers' thoughts on Mr Dapper himself, Paulo Sergio, were ?