• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Thomaso

• Adam_the_legend

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Ann Budge has come out and said the Sporting Director will be shared between Craig Levein and Austin McPhee.

Ann Budge has lost the plot concerning Levein.

Ann Budge reveals Hearts sporting director duties will be shared by Craig Levein and Austin MacPhee

Club owner splits responsibilities to let new manager Daniel Stendel focus on first team

By Barry Anderson

Tuesday, 10th December 2019, 10:30 pm

Hearts owner Ann Budge is looking for a permanent sporting director

Hearts owner Ann Budge has instructed new manager Daniel Stendel to focus on first-team coaching whilst Austin MacPhee and Craig Levein share sporting director duties.

It is likely to be some time after New Year that Budge is ready to recruit a permanent candidate in the sporting director role. In the meantime, assistant coach MacPhee and former manager Levein will share the responsibilities of the job and leave Stendel free to concentrate on the team.

MacPhee will work on recruitment and video analysis, with Levein focused on youth and other background issues until his contract expires next summer.

Stendel took his first training session at Riccarton yesterday morning after signing a two-and-a-half-year contract to replace Levein as Hearts manager. He was assisted by MacPhee and reserve coach Andy Kirk, with fellow coaches Jon Daly and Liam Fox away on a course.

Stendel would like to bring both Chris Stern and Dale Tonge, his assistants at former club Barnsley, to Edinburgh but for now is working with existing Hearts coaches.

“I know this is unusual in football but Austin brings with him a lot of useful qualities,” said Budge when asked about MacPhee’s future. “He’s been working on the recruitment side of things for a few months now and building relationships with the likes of Man City. I think everyone knows we have a relationship there.

"I don’t want to lose that, so there is still a lot of value, and a big job to do. The squad is bigger than we want it to be. For various reasons we’ve got ourselves into this situation, so we’ve got to trim and bring in new players who can play the style of football Daniel wants to play.

"I want Daniel totally focused on the first-team, totally focused, and he can shout his demands and say ‘I need somebody with this, that and the other’ or ‘this person is not going to work’ and I want somebody else to say ‘okay, we’ll go away and address that’.

“I don’t want to do this big umbrella thing because then people ask if the manager reports to him or does he report to him? They’ve got different jobs.

"I’ve got Craig looking at certain parts of the operation, largely youth, but a bit more than that. Austin will focus very much on recruitment and video analysis, which is very much his strength. He’s the stats man, as you know. Daniel will focus on the first-team.”

Asked if there will be a quick appointment of a sporting director, Budge replied: “We’ve got some important decisions to make and me bringing in somebody else new to the club, I don’t think that’s the best way of doing it.

“So, I want to use Austin and Daniel together to try to determine what we want to do on the recruitment front, and January is all about trying to change the squad around. In the meanwhile, in the background, I’ll be going through CVs and talking to people. I’m not desperate to get somebody in the door tomorrow.

“Austin will be doing part of that job and Craig will be doing another part of it. They could continue in that. If I find somebody I think will be absolutely perfect for taking on what in my mind is the sporting director’s role, then Austin, myself and Craig will have to sit down and talk about it.”

MacPhee is interested in the sporting director job. “Potentially, yes,” said Budge. “But, again, I think the key thing is we have to define exactly what that role is. So, the way it is in my head, he’ll be doing part of that role. Will he be the right person to do the whole role? We’ll see.”

She won’t appoint a sporting director and keep MacPhee and Levein on the payroll. “I don’t think I want to go there, because that it is, again, a bit of a bloated management structure.

“Austin and Craig are both under contract until the end of this season. If I find somebody else, I have to sit down and talk, whether it’s Austin or Craig, to say I’m bringing somebody in.

“The one thing I am with all of them is completely honest. They know that I think the best way forward is all getting behind the new manager. We’ve got priorities in recruitment and trimming the squad, etc. Let’s really focus on getting that done.

“We ran a couple of tournaments last year and we’re going to do more of that. Austin was heavily involved in that. Again, there are things I need to get to a certain point and whether it’s Austin or whether it’s Craig, they are people who I think can get us there.

“Meanwhile, I’m looking for one person to do all of it. I’m not setting a timeframe on it.”

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I feel totally raj. More vitriol. 

Just get on with supporting the team. No I don't feel betrayed,  I doubt we can afford one for the moment since we spent big on the "fans choice " manager 

2 minutes ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Sensible decision. It’s all about stability just now and too many changes would be too risky.

Levein and stability? Have you seen the club in the last 18+ months. We are in free fall and the biggest laughing stock in Scottish football. That arrogant ***** has set the club back 5 years with his shambolic reign as director of football and then manager. 

The only job in football where you can be sacked and walk in the next day. The ***** was giving Stendel a tour man ffs, along with supposedly talking to Man City regarding Hickey down in Manchester. 

Give it a rest ffs !! Maybe there's a very good reason for keeping Levein at Hearts have you ever thought about that ? I certainly don't feel betrayed you don't speak for me 👍🏼

Howdy Doody Jambo
6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

So Ann Budge has come out and said the Sporting Director will be shared between Craig Levein and Austin McPhee.

She has a pile of applicants on her desk more important to get a new manager first 

SpruceBringsteen

Shit for brains Hearts fans howling at the moon because they can't read past a clickbait headline. Plus ca change.

7 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Better get your hard hat on Mitch! 

The Future's Maroon

Ok, edit, I hadn’t seen article.

Edited by The Future's Maroon

Couldnae care less who the SD is to be honest. My issues with Levein were as manager, nowt else, and I genuinely believe McPhee has something to offer us off the field. If they're to work as joint sporting directors until a permanent guy comes in then so be it.

I will however look forward to the inevitable slagging my Hibs mate will try and give me about this, a subject that I couldn't really care less about.

10 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Until a permanent appointment in the new year. 

Thought Police

So in summary, Levein is continuing to do what he’s been doing until the end of the season, as we knew, and MacPhee is helping with recruitment as Budge said in the presser.

Clickbait nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Until new year

Says in the statement that Levein will be in his role until his contract expires next summer.

3 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Where has she said that?

Has she said that?

Not in any interview/press conference I witnessed today.

Yeah I don’t recall that being in the presser either 🤷🏻‍♂️ Tbh I couldn't care less though. Barnsley are being dicks we are 💯 committed to and giving trust to DS over the first team and his say will go. MacPhee and CL both have qualities that can be beneficial in the DoF/SD role until a full time body is in the job. CL has nothing to do with the first team and won’t AM will be looking at recruitment and assisting DS. We are mid way through December and AB has to be looking to get DS’s team in. Focus on that let DS focus on the team and let the other two do what needs done in roles that are answerable to her in the meantime

3 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

So in summary, Levein is continuing to do what he’s been doing until the end of the season, as we knew, and MacPhee is helping with recruitment as Budge said in the presser.

Clickbait nonsense.

Exactly 😂

12 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Mitch, you struggle with basic spelling and grammar. Why do you believe that you are in the position to criticise Ann Budge’s business decisions?

There would be a lot less vitriol aimed at her/the club if when she said something publicly she followed through with it.

Initially it was SD in and then the manager. Now, there's no urgent need for the SD? I'm lost.

3 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Clickbait nonsense.

This all day long but some will find issue with it

Just now, Taffin said:

There would be a lot less vitriol aimed at her/the club if when she said something publicly she followed through with it.

Initially it was SD in and then the manager. Now, there's no urgent need for the SD? I'm lost.

Always been the manager first. 

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Says in the statement that Levein will be in his role until his contract expires next summer.

Yeah his role will be working with the youth structure though. So really its as it was. Hardly worth greeting over. Was enough shite spouted tonight by JJ (who i think was out of order) , McFadden (clueless) etc without every lunatic on here making up more shite

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Clickbait nonsense.

Yes. If you read beyond the headline that's exactly what it says. 

Just now, jr ewing said:

Don’t think that’s what her earlier statements said? 🤔

Don’t really see the issue. Stendel isn’t answerable to him/them. Let them get on with doing something they are better suited to whilst they are still contracted. Glad neither are going to be involved in the first team management structure, as both have been found wanting in that department. 

Pretty hideous that Levein is still being given a platform to have input into what goes on at Hearts.

The morons who defended him to the bitter death, despite it being obvious to all he had created a mess can pretend this is ok but it’s really not.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Taffin - you do realise the pursuit of DS took weeks and cost us money bringing in his team , letting others go , appointing a SD and bringing in a few players costs money , we aren’t rangers and much as Michael Stewart thinks we are financially in trouble its more just a case of doing these things within our means. Means a bit of patience. Plans change its not like shes lied to you is it.  

I’m sorry but I’m not happy that that imposter is a) still employed by us and b) now getting this role.

nowt like making us a laughing stock.

He is responsible for putting us in this bloody mess and yet STILL gets a role and wage

after being so happy today I now read this. 
just what does she see in this serial loser ? Sickening .

he better be away in the summer

5 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Also says if she finds someone to do the role she will have to sit down and have a chat with levein and Austin, basically saying they will get paid off early 

"Austin will be doing part of that job and Craig will be doing another part of it. They could continue in that..."

It reads to me that while she is actively considering other applicants for the SD role, this temporary arrangement might be the permanent solution.

As long as Stendel can replace our coaching staff with his own guys, I'm not too uncomfortable with this. It makes sense financially. And I think MacPhee has a lot to offer.  Not so sure about Levein.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

She's been getting vitriol for 5.5 weeks now for not appointing a manager quickly despite saying it would take 4-6 weeks. So it really doesn't matter what she says. Some folk just have it in for her. I don't remember her saying definitively the SD would come first. Sounded like a pretty flexible approach, which is much better than single-mindedly blundering along the same track no matter what - like Levein was criticised for basically.

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Don’t think that’s what her earlier statements said? 🤔

It didn't. But I do think getting the manager in was more important.

9 minutes ago, Gambo said:

How Levein is still allowed to hang around Riccarton is beyond belief.

Certainly never expected that from you.

She already said Levein would be doing his youth development thing in the background. Not exactly a big deal. 

Folk have been sucked in by the headline here imo. 

PhoenixHearts

Non story. 2+2=5.

Craig Levein is still there. We knew this. Working away from the first team. Keeping himself useful in other areas. 

None of thos information is new or shocking. 

No sporting director has been appointed. Budge so said herself. Austin is here im the meantime to help Stendel bed in.

The Stendel appointment was a big win and he'll eventually bring in his team. Budge will eventuallly bring in a SD.

But folks need a witch to hunt. Some people will never be satisfied until Budge and Leveins heads are mounted on spikes in foundation plaza.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, The Merse said:

Pretty hideous that Levein is still being given a platform to have input into what goes on at Hearts.

The morons who defended him to the bitter death, despite it being obvious to all he had created a mess can pretend this is ok but it’s really not.

He - and now McPhee - now report directly to Budge alongside Stendel. You know that right? Stendel won't be working for him or vice versa. 

2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

"I'll take as long as it takes to find the right person [as manager]. I'm in no hurry. It's not that we have someone in our sights, despite what some of the media have been saying. I want to go through the process rigorously and thoroughly and explore a lot of avenues. The net will be cast quite wide.

"I'd like to get the sporting director appointment made soon. Any manager who comes in has to come in knowing that there will be a sporting director, possibly in place or certainly to be appointed."

That's not how that reads to me though, that reads that the SD would be in place for the managerial appointment or at least very quickly after. I'm not sure what she's said today constitutes 'soon'.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

He - and now McPhee - now report directly to Budge alongside Stendel. You know that right? Stendel won't be working for him or vice versa. 

I don’t care who either report to - neither merits a role at this club a minute longer.

Nicholas Brody
1 minute ago, gnasher75 said:

"Austin will be doing part of that job and Craig will be doing another part of it. They could continue in that..."

It reads to me that while she is actively considering other applicants for the SD role, this temporary arrangement might be the permanent solution.

As long as Stendel can replace our coaching staff with his own guys, I'm not too uncomfortable with this. It makes sense financially. And I think MacPhee has a lot to offer.  Not so sure about Levein.

Is the answer just along the corridor again?