Tierney

jock _turd

Unknown user
34 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

They’re big in Newcastle and now that someone is going to chuck hundreds of millions at them they might. They aren’t a worldwide brand like the other teams United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Madrid etc and the minute you take away the big funding they’ll go back to where they were. 
Not saying for a second the teams mentioned don’t spend big but they have the history to match and a worldwide following. The toon don’t. They’re an Everton, an Aston vIlla. 
Celtic are a much bigger club but play in the wrong country imo. 
Was all I meant. 

You're right in that way, but I think they could be, they've got a strong, distinct brand, much stronger than the Everton's or Villas IMO.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CJGJ

• Forever Hearts

• Beast Boy

• jock _turd

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Exactly this, just not that good

I hadn't seen this, they've got all the potential in the world. A large fanbase, loyal as anything and desperate for a bit of success.

Chelsea had only ever won 1 league title before the 2000s, they've won leagues, domestic cups, european trophies since.

Newcastle have won 4 league titles.

In 1999 when Keegan and Ferguson were battling it out for the league Newcastle were the 5th highest earning club on the planet.

I honestly can't think of many clubs with more potential.

Keegan left Newcastle in 97

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

They’re big in Newcastle and now that someone is going to chuck hundreds of millions at them they might. They aren’t a worldwide brand like the other teams United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Madrid etc and the minute you take away the big funding they’ll go back to where they were. 
Not saying for a second the teams mentioned don’t spend big but they have the history to match and a worldwide following. The toon don’t. They’re an Everton, an Aston vIlla. 
Celtic are a much bigger club but play in the wrong country imo. 
Was all I meant. 

Most of what you've said above can be aimed at Chelsea & Man City who are now talked about as world wide brands, they shouldn't be, they are rich clubs, they were not big clubs...If Newcastle get anywhere near the investment those two have had then they will be bigger than both of those two (imo)

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Most of what you've said above can be aimed at Chelsea & Man City who are now talked about as world wide brands, they shouldn't be, they are rich clubs, they were not big clubs...If Newcastle get anywhere near the investment those two have had then they will be bigger than both of those two (imo)

Well exactly. Teams that were never great and money falsely inflated them. Remove the cash and they sink back to where they were before the huge injections of cash. 
Newcastle it’s long been said aren’t in the right region. Players see further south and the London clubs as more desirable. They’ve long had that issue. 

Fxxx the SPFL
5 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Arsenal considering off loading Tierney to Leicester after just one injury hit season Rodgers willing to take a punt.......thought he was the next big thing?

diving wee bassa against us

Unknown user
49 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Keegan left Newcastle in 97

I read this the other night, happy to accept the year's wrong :thumbsup:

gashauskis9
17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I read this the other night, happy to accept the year's wrong :thumbsup:

Sorry pal, I get picky when I’m bored 😂.  Think it was 95/96 and 96/97 that Keegan ran Fergie to the wire.

Unknown user
Just now, gashauskis9 said:

Sorry pal, I get picky when I’m bored 😂.  Think it was 95/96 and 96/97 that Keegan ran Fergie to the wire.

Nah you're sound, I'm pretty anal with details normally, I have no problem getting corrected when I post without checking :thumbsup:

Guest ToqueJambo

Tierney is a good player but he was vastly overhyped simply because of who he played for, while Andy Robertson was largely overlooked while in Scotland. His attitude around playing for Scotland showed the hype had gone to his head. I think he genuinely believed he was better than Robertson. If Hickey pushes on Tierney could become 3rd choice LB for Scotland.

Konrad von Carstein
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Well exactly. Teams that were never great and money falsely inflated them. Remove the cash and they sink back to where they were before the huge injections of cash. 
Newcastle it’s long been said aren’t in the right region. Players see further south and the London clubs as more desirable. They’ve long had that issue. 

Yup!

Spellczech
15 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

If you manage to have a generation of reasonable success, whereby fathers pass their support on to their son then clubs like Chelsea and City could become established big clubs.  Prior to the the rich owners you would never have seen a kid in Scotland or an adult in China wearing one of their tops...

15 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

In a weird way, the massive increase in Sky money was bad for Newcastle as it allowed clubs like Palace and Fulham to match offers for players that Newcastle were trying to sign. A number of them decided that lifestyle i.e. living in London and having easy transport links to home was more important than playing for a bigger club as the money was now the same and neither club were challenging for the Champion's League.