Some wanted McInnes for manager

Ex member of the SaS

Ex member of the SaS

From the EEN McInnes said Aberdeen should have committed more fouls.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/derek-mcinnes-aberdeen-players-should-have-fouled-hibs-more-1336240

McInnes felt his side could have given away more fouls in order to try and prevent Hibs from adding to their tally.

"We lost possession in their half, and they’ve punished us," he said, adding: "I still think we could even make a foul to stop them getting in the box. Their attacking players took full advantage and it’s disappointing.”

Think this a disgusting comment for a manager to make. Say it behind closed door maybe but not to the media.

5 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/derek-mcinnes-aberdeen-players-should-have-fouled-hibs-more-1336240

McInnes felt his side could have given away more fouls in order to try and prevent Hibs from adding to their tally.

"We lost possession in their half, and they’ve punished us," he said, adding: "I still think we could even make a foul to stop them getting in the box. Their attacking players took full advantage and it’s disappointing.”

Think this a disgusting comment for a manager to make. Say it behind closed door maybe but not to the media.

Would expect the same from the Burnley manager too... TBH

highlandjambo3

Professional football players make professional fouls all the time.....Including our own lot, take one fir the team etc......take a yellow instead of potentially a goal against.  I’m sure most managers support this, although not so sure about admitting it though.

Disagree. Committing fouls is part of the game and if conceding a free kick is less risky than letting a player go then that's what should happen.

All part of the game. If it's cynical you'll get a yellow but fair enough.

avhudtheteeshirt
6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Agree wholeheartedly, these things are done, but to come out and say it publicly, is to say the least looking for trouble from referees and the beaks in the SPFL!!!

21 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Strange they did it all the time when we beat them at Tynie last season.

Don't have any issue with it tbh, Whelan is the best in our team at doing it, knows exactly when to foul players to stop an attack developing into something dangerous, normally around the half way line where he is less likely to pick up a booking for it too.

Ex member of the SaS

Not disputing it's part of the game and every team does it. However I do have an issue with a manager coming out and saying his team didn't foul enough. Can hardly complain when his team get fouled in the future.

I don’t have a problem with it, but it is very ironic considering whenever we beat them he accuses us of being a big physical team

The Treasurer
15 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

I don’t have a problem with it, but it is very ironic considering whenever we beat them he accuses us of being a big physical team

This was my first thought.

And yet when anyone does it against Hearts they're 'cheating b*&*%$@#'

In my view it's a sign of a less than quality football team and while there's a always a case for a 'professional foul' there's a reason the OF have the best disciplinary stats in the league.

Hearts have one of the worst and it would be better if they had a quality of team who improved that. The sheep have the worst offending record with 246 fouls committed and that's what they are. Committed cloggers.

Hearts come second in that table with 225 fouls committed just ahead of Livingston on 221. The OF have the best record with Rangers on 163 fouls and Celtic on 141.

The reason for that is they're better sides who have a lesser need to commit fouls and that's the way to go if you want to have an actual good footballing side.

53 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Mcinnes is shite and he really isn't liked much up here. 

Didnt realise you were up this way. Commiserations 

41 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Not disputing it's part of the game and every team does it. However I do have an issue with a manager coming out and saying his team didn't foul enough. Can hardly complain when his team get fouled in the future.

Who wanted him as manager

1 hour ago, campbell said:

It’s not really a disgusting comment though is it,  every club/ player does it! Really not worth a thread tbh 

Seems like a rangers type tactic imho.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

We all know it happens 

But for a manager to say it should be part of his team tactics

And when we get the abuse we do for being a big physical dirty team?

I presume Sportsound will lampoon him.

Imagine Levein had ever come out with this? He’d have had less support on here than McInnes has just had - and the media would be going tonto.

54 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Far from it. It's an Aberdeen type tactic since they have committed the most fouls of any team in the league while Rangers have the second least. Seems McInnes thinks it's still not enough though.

Aberdeen are not a good footballing team. McInnes has simply constructed a large physical side and to be fair Hearts aren't too far behind in that respect having committed the second greatest number of fouls.

And let's face it. Does anyone think Ikpeazu would be playing at this level if he weren't a hulk? The most yellow cards for a player in the league is the 7 Donnelly of Motherwell has but just behind him on 6 each are Ikpeazu and Berra.

It's what happens when there is little scope to acquire real quality through a side and why Scotland aside from the OF has a poor record in Euro qualifiers. It takes more than a team of big cloggers to make it at that level.

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Dont know that it's disgusting.

But it isn't very progressive.

Think a few managers might mention this quote to the refs before they play Aberdeen just to get it into the refs head they’re going to foul all game. Perhaps using a more progressive phrase like ‘we didn’t manage the situation properly when they broke’ might have been better advised, we know what he means but just a bit more subtle!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Tactical fouls.  

Remember when they whined like **** in our first season back up. Neilson used them and we were called brutal. 

Aberdeen media has double standards 

Bazzas right boot

Livingston were bad for that last week. 

When we did beat a man, chopped down instantly. Walker a couple of times and Clare stand out. 

The thing is, if a team does that you get the player on a booking and keep going at them, we are far too timid for that atm, but livi definitely had that instruction- to chop down a man if beaten. 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

If a player is about to score and the only way of stopping him is a foul, then carry on, I'd be raging if a player done otherwise. 

My hibs mates still rage about Foster and why he wasn't chopped down. 

😆😆😆

Bazzas right boot

Aberdeen are the dirtiest side in the league. 

At Tynecastle, all they do is stomp about and take players out. 

Absolute shite team but still miles ahead of us. 

Brutal. 

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

And yet when anyone does it against Hearts they're 'cheating b*&*%$@#'

In my view it's a sign of a less than quality football team and while there's a always a case for a 'professional foul' there's a reason the OF have the best disciplinary stats in the league.

Hearts have one of the worst and it would be better if they had a quality of team who improved that. The sheep have the worst offending record with 246 fouls committed and that's what they are. Committed cloggers.

Hearts come second in that table with 225 fouls committed just ahead of Livingston on 221. The OF have the best record with Rangers on 163 fouls and Celtic on 141.

The reason for that is they're better sides who have a lesser need to commit fouls and that's the way to go if you want to have an actual good footballing side. 

And nothing to do with the fact that the refs come from the Glasgow area.

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Every clubs does it and we of all teams have been guilty of it over the years quite a lot so I wouldn’t be labelling Rangers it without looking closer to home 

I think McInnes is actually a good enough manager which the sheep may quickly discover if they get their wish and he leaves. His recruit big and physical units then play a non stop fouling strategy is really all that's open to him to give them anything like the status they think they should have. He's good at utilising it.

In earlier seasons of his term they did have some quality in the ranks to play some actual football but season by season it's disappeared. He's simply adapted and still delivered respectable league finishes using what he's left with.

They have some unrealistic fantasy that they should be challenging the OF for the title and it's McInnes fault they're not. That's simply not going to happen no matter who they put in charge. And if they force McInnes out there's every possibility they will quickly find themselves in the same hole they were in when he arrived. 

He was appointed towards the end of the 2012/13 season. A season which didn't even have Rangers in the league in which they finished in 8th place. In his first full season 2013/14 they finished 3rd plus won the league cup then went on a run of 2nd place finishes.

At that time they had a number of decent players who have all since moved on so McInnes adjusted the only way he could in the circumstances

They don't have the quality to play anything but their kick like hell and long ball strategy and they don't have the money to recruit that quality in any sufficient quantity. I hope they do force McInnes out because I think they would then fall into a downward spiral and that would suit Hearts.

26 minutes ago, farin said:

There isn’t a team that doesn’t commit professional fouls tbh. It’s now part & parcel of the modern game. The Italians were masters of it at one time.. 

I don't think professional foul is descriptive of a lot of their play. A professional foul would be an opposition player breaking through bearing down on goal certain to get a shot in and he's brought down. While they might do that given the chance a lot of what they do is well outside that.

There is no threat prior to this one for example and that's simply what they constantly do. It's tedious to watch and would have cards flying thick and fast in any quality league. It's why they get nowhere in Europe. They don't know how to play any kind of flowing football.

Edited by JFK-1

jamboolood1874
On 09/12/2019 at 18:08, Rudy T said:

Think a few managers might mention this quote to the refs before they play Aberdeen just to get it into the refs head they’re going to foul all game. Perhaps using a more progressive phrase like ‘we didn’t manage the situation properly when they broke’ might have been better advised, we know what he means but just a bit more subtle!

The Sheep are like The Ugly Sisters they contradict themselves all the time.

Guest ToqueJambo

All the press around Guardiola's "tactical fouling" has suddenly made it OK for managers to talk about fouls like it's an accepted part of the game.

jamboolood1874
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

All the press around Guardiola's "tactical fouling" has suddenly made it OK for managers to talk about fouls like it's an accepted part of the game.

The Irony is FIFA trying to make football a non contact sport are they not.

• 1 month later...

hes aberdeens 3rd most succesful manager in terms of win % at above 52%

only sir alex and billy mcneil who only done it for 40 games btw has a better %

he would have done a great job at hearts imo

7 minutes ago, Masonic said:

:troll:

5 hours ago, Masonic said:

he would have done a better job than Levein......faint praise indeed 😏

On 09/12/2019 at 15:31, Ex member of the SaS said:

On 10/12/2019 at 19:38, ToqueJambo said:

Fouls are absolutely an acceptable part of the game. Why wouldnt you foul to break up an attack in the way many teams do? 

Did you disagree with the foul on Morata from Valverde in the spanish super cup? Saved his team then they won the penalty shoot out. Top fouling. 

Ex member of the SaS
51 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Fouls are absolutely an acceptable part of the game. Why wouldnt you foul to break up an attack in the way many teams do? 

Did you disagree with the foul on Morata from Valverde in the spanish super cup? Saved his team then they won the penalty shoot out. Top fouling. 

No you misunderstand, Not against a player taking one for the team, But I think it's wrong for a manager to admit he condones such tactics. In this case saying he wants his team to foul more.

Ps foul by all means but make it look like you are trying to win the ball.

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

30 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

No you misunderstand, Not against a player taking one for the team, But I think it's wrong for a manager to admit he condones such tactics. In this case saying he wants his team to foul more.

Ps foul by all means but make it look like you are trying to win the ball.

Fair enough. Aberdeen were too soft in that game, I think that's what McInnes was alluding too and probably could have chosen his words better. 

Personally I love a bit of absolute shithousery and I'd be happy for Hearts to constantly relieve pressure by committing 'non' fouls. I think they're an integral part of any wining team. Liverpool do it, City do it, Celtic do it. All the teams that win a lot, do it. I watched City v Newcastle (2-2) last month and the deliberate fouls aren't that clear in reality. A lot of them are for body checks or coming through the back of the attacker. Its very clever and winds the other team up no end.