Is Stendel allowed to bring in one or more of his own men.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Ann Budge said from the outset that throwing the baby out with the bath water didn't make sense. So the coaching staff are retained, but hopefully being assessed by the new manager as to their suitability to properly carry out coaching tasks under his supervision. If they don't shape up then they should go.

The most important factor is that he has his own assistant who will be his confidante, and help ensure that the coaches are carrying out their duties in getting his football philosophy across to the players.

The only role being replaced at this time appears to be the assistant, and so this must put McPhee most at risk from the current crop who supported Levein

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• TWF

• Whatever

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Must admit - think this is bullshit on the club’s part. That said - he still signed up so he must be ok with it.

He seems to have only taken one guy (Stern) to Barnsley with him (Tonge was already at Barnsley), so he seems to already be comfortable with the idea of going into a club with existing staff and assessing the capabilities of the people there, rather than just automatically binning everyone!

49 minutes ago, sac said:

Stendel & his assistant, plus MacPhee, Daly, Fox, Park. How much would it cost to get rid of the latter four? On the other hand how much are we paying if they all remain to the end of the season?

If we bumped any now, they'd be due the remainder of their contracts. So it would be more to get rid now, given some have contacts beyond end of the season... 

I’ll despair if Austin Macphee and Jon Daly survive this. If rumours are true and they’re disliked by some of the players, it won’t be helpful for them to remain in position.

If it isn’t going to happen now, I hope it does in the Summer. They are a huge part of why we are where we are.

We need a complete change from the old guard.

Makes perfect sense , Stendel will work with both coaches and players till the end of the season . They'll be assessed and binnned if he doesn't rate them . 

12 minutes ago, troonmaroon said:

If we bumped any now, they'd be due the remainder of their contracts. So it would be more to get rid now, given some have contacts beyond end of the season... 

Then keep them away from the first team & let Stendel & his assistant get on with it.

LarrysRightFoot
27 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

This is only a guess but I would suspect he would want at least one of his coaches to be local/know the club and Scottish game. Sounds like he used local coaches at Barnsley as well as having Andreas Winkler and Chris Stern with him. 

Calebs Grandad

Budge is no push over as we all know and will act in the best interests of the club but she is fully aware that sacking MacPhee, Daly, Fox etc would be very unfair right now given they would be unlikely to receive any Universal Credit payments until January hence ruining their Xmas. 

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If Stendel has agreed to this it’s fine by me. If was a big deal for him I’m sure he wouldn’t have signed on that basis. 

This is where I'm at on it. Don't see it as being an issue in the slightest if he was still happy enough to sign up.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I cannot in a million years believe that Stendel’s preference would be to retain McPhee et al. There’s simply no reason why he would if the world was his oyster.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

I think we need to keep some of the current staff at least until Stendel gets to know the players.

How else would he know that Walker is an attacking midfielder or Wighton is a striker for example, unless someone points it out to him

58 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

At first when reading this I felt a bit dismayed, however after thinking about it, it makes financial sense at this point in time. 

Budge's biggest mistake was letting Levein waste our transfer kitty and not replacing him during the summer, I would imagine any January transfer kitty funds that were originally kept back for Levein, will be pretty minimal considering how much we threw at the first team in the summer (Naisy and Whelan won't come cheap), and with this in mind I reckon what was on offer to Stendel was that he could bring in his own team entirely,  and we'd get shot of the dross in the background, but this would eat up our transfer kitty in January and he'd need to work with what he has at the club already (which he clearly doesn't fancy!), or he can bring in one of his team, leave some of our own dross in place until the summer when we'll have a larger kitty again to get rid of them, and have some funds to work with in January. 

I have no idea if that above is correct or not, but it seems like the logical way to think regarding the situation. 

Both good points - especially the budget for new players. 

Getting rid of 2 or 3 coaches and bringing another one in is potentially the cost of 2 new players. 

GorgieFifeLife
27 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Would that not leave the club open to claims of constructive dismissal? 

I dont think so. In any business people can be moved around departments and in the end if it doesnt suit them they will look for other jobs.

In an ideal world we would bin all the coaches and players and start again 

but finances and contract situations won’t allow so we have to the best

we can

37 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I’ll despair if Austin Macphee and Jon Daly survive this. If rumours are true and they’re disliked by some of the players, it won’t be helpful for them to remain in position.

If it isn’t going to happen now, I hope it does in the Summer. They are a huge part of why we are where we are.

They're both being kept on with new roles:

Austin MacPhee is to become: Bib distribution Assistant

Jon Daly is now:  Cone Alignment Assistant 

He seems happy enough with the arrangement or else he wouldn’t have signed, that’s enough for me. I’m sure if he wants to replace anyone once he’s had a chance to assess them all he’ll be able to

35 minutes ago, sac said:

Then keep them away from the first team & let Stendel & his assistant get on with it.

i agree in for a penny in for a pound

38 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If Stendel has agreed to this it’s fine by me. If was a big deal for him I’m sure he wouldn’t have signed on that basis. 

yup. 👍

29 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I cannot in a million years believe that Stendel’s preference would be to retain McPhee et al. There’s simply no reason why he would if the world was his oyster.

It would allow him some insight into what's been done to this point, the line of thinking the previous regime has been applying and why they've gone down that route.

Might help him formulate his own plan and then decide come the end of the season whether any of those he's worked with are people who can adapt to his plan and whether he'd like to work with them going forward or not. If he decides they're no use and wants rid in the summer then we should bin them. 

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

So this means that a few of our dugout diddies will still be here. With the bad smell still lingering about in the background explaining the rules of football to Budge I fear the environment will still be toxic. I was excited about Stendell but Budge's need for her comfort blankets is giving me the sinking feeling.

The irony of "bad smell" is reeking in this post.

It also displays total ignorance of management structures in any "business."  When the CEO or MD or Senior Manager gets the heaveho you dont sack every departmental head.  That is lunacy.  You let the new guy assess and recommend and make adjustments accordingly.  Some may go some may stay.  If a coach is following orders from above, who is to say he cant do the same under a new man?

It's typical of the ingrained negative urine that dribbles from the keyboard in caravans up and down the country.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It would allow him some insight into what's been done to this point, the line of thinking the previous regime has been applying and why they've gone down that route.

Might help him formulate his own plan and then decide come the end of the season whether any of those he's worked with are people who can adapt to his plan and whether he'd like to work with them going forward or not. If he decides they're no use and wants rid in the summer then we should bin them. 

Good post.

Sums the whole situation up.

9 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

They're both being kept on with new roles:

Austin MacPhee is to become: Bib distribution Assistant

Jon Daly is now:  Cone Alignment Assistant 

I think you will find that MacPhee will be kept on as a translator as he is fluent in Japanese!

MacPhee is still odds on to get the Northern Irish managers job, maybe Budge is hoping he gets the gig and we get rid this way with compensation paid to us.

The Real Maroonblood
50 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

:greatpost:

Just now, PapaShango said:

Some senior players have spoken to Budge about wanting McPhee emptied! He is not a popular figure at the club.

How did you come by this info?

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Some senior players have spoken to Budge about wanting McPhee emptied! He is not a popular figure at the club.

Very good.

Ann Budge has had her faults but she backs each manager to the hilt. Too much in one case perhaps.

That doesn't go unnoticed in managerial circles and some of our fans would do well to remember it too.

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

He seems to have only taken one guy (Stern) to Barnsley with him (Tonge was already at Barnsley), so he seems to already be comfortable with the idea of going into a club with existing staff and assessing the capabilities of the people there, rather than just automatically binning everyone!

That puts a different complexion on it.

He's bringing his main assistant who he has worked with through his career. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

The irony of "bad smell" is reeking in this post.

It also displays total ignorance of management structures in any "business."  When the CEO or MD or Senior Manager gets the heaveho you dont sack every departmental head.  That is lunacy.  You let the new guy assess and recommend and make adjustments accordingly.  Some may go some may stay.  If a coach is following orders from above, who is to say he cant do the same under a new man?

It's typical of the ingrained negative urine that dribbles from the keyboard in caravans up and down the country.

Yes, a football club’s coaching staff is just like the structure of a normal business :rofl:

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

No, I mean that is what he will say when he sees the likes of Damour etc.

Are you willing to give these players a second chance under a good manager? We haven’t seen their best because of the clueless non football we’ve been watching

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

This I did not know. Allays my fears somewhat.

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Explain how Daly , fox etc are Budge comfort blankets please 

Levein is her comfort blanket.

GorgieFifeLife
16 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Utter drivel.  Given their performances on the park none of them would surely have the brass neck to stand in front of Budge and complain about McPhee.  I'm sure she would have left them in no doubt about where they stand if they had.

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Are you willing to give these players a second chance under a good manager? We haven’t seen their best because of the clueless non football we’ve been watching

Some yes but some have taken the piss too much.

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

Correct

Has anyone been to Riccarton to watch training? What do Daly and Fox actually do? I'd imagine for Stendel to get his ideas and style across then him and his assistant will need very hands on in training. Also was Park ever given a contract or was he just helping MacPhee on a temporary basis?

6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

This I did not know. Allays my fears somewhat.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/how-daniel-stendel-s-values-restored-belief-in-barnsley-1-9814908

Huddersfield pinched his original assistant at Barnsley,  Andreas Winkler, presumably to assist their then manager Jan Siewert. 

His other coach from Germany, Chris Stern, is only 26 years old:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/christopher-stern/profil/trainer/41049

24 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Smith today in the EEN: 

"To me, he’s one of the good guys and he was the one who sold me on the club and brought me here so I haven’t got a bad word to say about him.”

Think I'll take his word over yours.

2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/how-daniel-stendel-s-values-restored-belief-in-barnsley-1-9814908

Huddersfield pinched his original assistant at Barnsley,  Andreas Winkler, presumably to assist their then manager Jan Siewert. 

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Just now, Martin_T said:

Interestingly, Andreas Winkler, his original assistant at Barnsley, is both currently available and has previous experience as a Sporting Director

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andreas-winkler/profil/trainer/7458

That is very interesting actually. Hope we see a restructure and the good people we have are supplemented with the good people he knows.

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Let’s wait till we hear Stendels take on it. He may have only wanted one in. 

I'm sure the media will try and spin it as a negative.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Whatever said:

Smith loves MacPhee. The Irish players clearly respect him or they would not have come. 

Daly Fox Gallacher are journey men that will not be missed I expect 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The world isn’t his oyster though....

Stendel may well have decided to judge MacPhee for himself rather than take someone else’s word for it.

Seems a good idea to me.

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Don't confuse us with facts!