January window

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Think it might have been Jose that said over the weekend (can't fully recall) that only 1 in 4 january signings really become a success at their new club!

I've got a feeling that Stendel will use the first couple of weeks of Jan to do a mini preseason including all the young players out on loan before deciding where the biggest gaps are for the rest of this season, maybe even just filling them with loans before making more changes in the summer.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mc2607

• Hampden Demolition

• E6 Inc

• Cruyff

17 hours ago, jambocub said:

I'm with you about running at the opposition but he needs to work on receiving the ball and isolating the defender straight away ..

I've got my fingers crossed a new coach can help .

No one will get on his back if he was to try to past the defender and stick a cross in the box each time 

Not saying that Mulraney doesn't have his faults but it really doesn't help that instead of using his pace and playing passes in behind the full back or over their head we play it safe and pass the ball 2 yards behind him. By the time he comes back for the ball then turns the defender is invariably right on top of him.

I think we’ll send Pereria back to Man U and bring in a goalie

Definately a CB. 

An energetic midfielder.

I think Clare and Mulraney will benefit from someone like Stendal. Clare in particular needs to be played in his best role. It’s no coincidence that one of his best games for us was at Killie last year where he moved the ball quickly and looked like a player. He’s continually being asked to play in positions that don’t suit him

I’m hoping Keena will kick on and be given a chance along with bringing guys like Cochrane, McDonald and Hamilton back from loan. 

I’m hoping that he can also bring in a conditioning coach who will improve the fitness of some of the players. How guys like Steve Davis and Chris Burke can run away from young lads like Irvine and Hickey is something I can’t fathom.

17 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Definately a CB. 

An energetic midfielder.

I think Clare and Mulraney will benefit from someone like Stendal. Clare in particular needs to be played in his best role. It’s no coincidence that one of his best games for us was at Killie last year where he moved the ball quickly and looked like a player. He’s continually being asked to play in positions that don’t suit him

I’m hoping Keena will kick on and be given a chance along with bringing guys like Cochrane, McDonald and Hamilton back from loan. 

I’m hoping that he can also bring in a conditioning coach who will improve the fitness of some of the players. How guys like Steve Davis and Chris Burke can run away from young lads like Irvine and Hickey is something I can’t fathom.

The two players you mention will also benefit from the right type of passes. In the case of Mulraney we need to play the ball behind defenders to make them turn and to use his pace.

In Clare's case we need lots of movement to give and take passes none of this make a pass and just stand still admiring it.

God knows what he will do with our strkers. Good luck trying to convince Uche to stay on his feet and stop pulling at every defeneder and then falling over looking for the foul. McLean is just finished so maybe he will try and build a bit of confidence into Keena and give him chance

PhoenixHearts

Like the idea of Liam Lindsay on loan from Stoke. Barnsley fan NIGHTMARE who was posting on here also mentioned goalkeeper Adam Davies also at Stoke. Was the starting keeper and captain for Barnsley under Stendel. Capped for Wales. (born in germany too😉)

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Like the idea of Liam Lindsay on loan from Stoke. Barnsley fan NIGHTMARE who was posting on here also mentioned goalkeeper Adam Davies also at Stoke. Was the starting keeper and captain for Barnsley under Stendel. Capped for Wales. (born in germany too😉)

Lindsay would be class. Davies is decent. I’d try and get Stockdale from Birmingham

kingantti1874
8 hours ago, johnking123 said:

No chance we getting Lindsay. Davies would ba a good shout for goalie. More likely to see a German or Austrian goalie.

why? He’s not getting a game for stoke.. I wouldn’t say a loan is out of the question? 

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

why? He’s not getting a game for stoke.. I wouldn’t say a loan is out of the question? 

He's playing tonight 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Though in saying that. Smith is on the radar of stoke. Lindsay has still played 12 games for stoke and will still be a big part of there plans

Guest ToqueJambo

A mobile CB and striker (2 if Naismith is still injured) are obvious priorities. Hard to find in the January window though. Stendel will have to cope with our injury list as best he can until summer.

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Definately a CB. 

An energetic midfielder.

Good shouts. If he's going to do the high press thing, Mulraney, Uche and Washington all seem suited to that as a front 3 for now, with Walker, Meshino and Naismith as well having the potential to be part of a pressing front 3. Naismith could maybe be more of a link man. It's the defence that really needs work though. So many bad goals lost this season.

5 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Are there actually any funds available!

Yes but she thinks the squad is too big, over 30 players apparently so if he wants any in he needs to sip some out !!

Edited by steve123

Leveins Battalion

Ann Budge and Stendel have both said if they have to players will be  brought in in January,I'd assume Daniel wants to have a look at the squad himself 1st.

Jamboscanbevicius

DS will rightly want to assess the squad himself, but there are surely a few that we need to try and move on (if we can get any takers)...

Not easy to move guys in Jan. Some may be loans out. But would be good to get rid of:

- Pereira (hasn't improved us - might be best to cut short)

- Doyle (though can't see anyone taking him)

- Dikamona (good lad but not great standard - time for youth to fill the squad)

- Garuccio (hasn't done much wrong, but just feels like he's not quite going to make it with us)

- Wighton (huge disappointment)

Summer will be when there is a bigger clear out though. We must have a few out of contract:

- White (just not the player he was / could have been)

- Bozanic (decent squad player but time is up I think)

- Whelan (won't stay past this season, and not sure we'd want him to)

- MacLean (good pro but past it now)

- Keena (if he can't break into the starting 11 by end of this season, time may be up)

1 minute ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

DS will rightly want to assess the squad himself, but there are surely a few that we need to try and move on (if we can get any takers)...

Not easy to move guys in Jan. Some may be loans out. But would be good to get rid of:

- Pereira (hasn't improved us - might be best to cut short)

- Doyle (though can't see anyone taking him)

- Dikamona (good lad but not great standard - time for youth to fill the squad)

- Garuccio (hasn't done much wrong, but just feels like he's not quite going to make it with us)

- Wighton (huge disappointment)

Summer will be when there is a bigger clear out though. We must have a few out of contract:

- White (just not the player he was / could have been)

- Bozanic (decent squad player but time is up I think)

- Whelan (won't stay past this season, and not sure we'd want him to)

- MacLean (good pro but past it now)

- Keena (if he can't break into the starting 11 by end of this season, time may be up)

Keena and Washington might be good for the Gorgie Presssing game

On 09/12/2019 at 16:09, Ribble said:

Not saying that Mulraney doesn't have his faults but it really doesn't help that instead of using his pace and playing passes in behind the full back or over their head we play it safe and pass the ball 2 yards behind him. By the time he comes back for the ball then turns the defender is invariably right on top of him.

Yes good point his asset is his pace up top wasn’t utilised properly 

He could do very well under Daniel 

12 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Good shouts. If he's going to do the high press thing, Mulraney, Uche and Washington all seem suited to that as a front 3 for now, with Walker, Meshino and Naismith as well having the potential to be part of a pressing front 3. Naismith could maybe be more of a link man. It's the defence that really needs work though. So many bad goals lost this season.

Personally think uche will do extremely well on this formation it’s workrate that’s the key 

no one better than him for that 

Uche and Washington are pure grafters 

Can see Aaron being sold.Try to shift Bozanic, Maclean, Dikamona and two of our keeper. 

So in GK,LB,CB and winger.  Striker will depend if we do sell Hickey. Will cost money if want someone good enough. He like the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Edited by johnking123

3 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Can see Aaron being sold.Try to shift Bozanic, Maclean, Dikamona and two of our keeper. 

So in GK,LB,CB and winger.  Striker will depend if we do sell Hickey. Will cost money if want someone good enough. He like the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Aye think it will be like Klopp 4231/433

rudi must stay

See Dikamona can pass so I can see them trying him. We will want a long ball to attack quick. But he needs to up his game considerably IMO to stay in the team 

I feel like a broken record but we desperately need someone who will score some goals. At this stage of the season, 15 games in, to have our "top scorer" on just 2 league goals is nothing short of embarrassing. 

We know through experience that massive changes in January isn’t a good idea.

Hopefully we’ll see a couple of players coming in to steady the ship though.

3 hard working midfielders striker and a keeper and that would make a

8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

The amount of fans I've seen saying sack the coaches and it'll free up money, are they a bit simple? :jj_facepalm:

They must be we aren’t in a position to sack them all and replace them .... one word CONTRACTS 

1 hour ago, mc2607 said:

I feel like a broken record but we desperately need someone who will score some goals. At this stage of the season, 15 games in, to have our "top scorer" on just 2 league goals is nothing short of embarrassing. 

It’s the style of play that’s the root cause but I agree we need a goal scorer 

1 hour ago, mc2607 said:

That's utterly mental isn't it 😂

17 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Andy Irving can make a pass, given half a chance.  Jimmy Dunne on the bench for Fleetwood🤔

Jimmy Dunne would be a good signing ??👍👍👍🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Its pitiful. No wonder we're sitting where we are. 

The amount of times we've had to play Steven MacLean is unacceptable as well. A man who was signed as a 35-year-old "because he could never really run", now 37 and even less able to run. 

🤯

Jamboscanbevicius
4 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Keena and Washington might be good for the Gorgie Presssing game

Washington for sure. Keena certainly could be, but he is 21 in April and I think he is at a stage that if he can't force his way in and get more game time soon, that time will begin to run out on whether he needs to move on in the summer.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, mc2607 said:

Its pitiful. No wonder we're sitting where we are. 

The amount of times we've had to play Steven MacLean is unacceptable as well. A man who was signed as a 35-year-old "because he could never really run", now 37 and even less able to run. 

🤯

He must be our top goalscorer so far with 3

42 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

He must be our top goalscorer so far with 3

Just looked up some stats, 

1 league goal, 1 cup goal

14 appearances. FOURTEEN. We should never have to rely on someone of that quality, that much. It's borderline disgraceful.

Hopefully his contract is up the end of this season and that's us rid of him but my God what an awful, awful signing he is. 

1 minute ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Bin Bozanic and get Cochrane back.

We have much bigger fish to fry right now. Cochrane is struggling to get into the Dunfermline team and has failed to impress the few times I've seen him play for our reserves. 

I really don't think we will see that much changing in personal until the summer, I hope Stendal shows us enough to keep the stands patient till then regarding his football philosophy,  I can see 10 plus players never wearing the shirt again next season.

2 hours ago, mc2607 said:

Oh, and our top scorer in all competitions???

Craig Halkett, with FOUR

Aye he would have probably have a lot more if he hadn't got injured.

I think he will want to assess all the players we have before bringing anybody in. Players respond to a new manager coming in differently and some may be given a new lease of life with a more attack minded system in place.

Barnsley players contracts expiring 

Alex Mowatt CM 24 club do have a 1 year contract clause inserted in his contract though 

Dimitri Cavaré RB 24 

Mamadou Thiam CF RW LW 24 

Kenneth Dougall DM 26 club do have a 1 year contract clause inserted in his contract though

Samuel Radlinger GK 27 

Daniel Pinillos LB 27

Edited by Bongo 1874

rudi must stay
43 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Barnsley players contracts expiring 

Alex Mowatt CM 24 club do have a 1 year contract clause inserted in his contract though 

Dimitri Cavaré RB 24 

Mamadou Thiam CF RW LW 24 

Kenneth Dougall DM 26 club do have a 1 year contract clause inserted in his contract though

Samuel Radlinger GK 27 

Daniel Pinillos LB 27

Heard Radlinger's decent

15 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Aye he would have probably have a lot more if he hadn't got injured.

Not faulting Halkett at all obviously - I'm just stunned that our top scorer only has 4 goals in all competitions and is a centre back. 

28 minutes ago, mc2607 said:

Not faulting Halkett at all obviously - I'm just stunned that our top scorer only has 4 goals in all competitions and is a centre back. 

Walker, Washington and Keena might have got more goals as well if they hadn't been out injured.