Has Danny found a local yet ?

NlGHTMARE

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Maybe you can help. I lived in the street right behind the Merlin, summer something terrace. For the life of me, and without looking it up I cannot remember the name! I was only there a few months, mind, until my bird at the time kicked me out...FOR NO GOOD REASON!

Springvalley Terrace?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Bridge of Djoum

• Pasquale for King

• NlGHTMARE

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Redhelen said:

Totally. When we got promoted he went into town, to celebrate with the fans. When he got "separated " from the club he went to the pub with the fans for a leaving do. It was all over the press at the time. I've known managers be very dutiful re. the club and fans but he went beyond that, genuinely wanting to be with them. I remember the open day before we'd kicked a ball and we hadn't a clue who he was, and he had his arm round my young un saying " we smile ya" as I was taking photos.and I thought how great he was with the young fans, really natural. 

Great to hear. We desperately need someone like this. Our club is very detached from the fans right now and we are very much not united. If this man can turn what is very much a squad of workshy soft losers into a winning team he will certainly go on to manage at the very highest level.

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Dear god don’t subject him to the Diggers massive 😂

1 hour ago, Angry Haggis said:

Been in there all day, watching the league cup final. No sign of #theStenboss.  

Decent pint of Fosters however and Rainjurs, LOLZ. 

Must admit I haven’t been in for a while but my enduring memory is very attentive bar staff who spotted you as you came in the door.
They wore aprons and an excellent pint of Special lovingly prepared before it was poured into the glass. Perfect head and very smooth.  It was a pleasure to actually drink in a (real) pub and not some plastic sham.

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Springvalley Terrace?

That’s it! 

“Summer”... WTF am I on about. 

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Great to hear. We desperately need someone like this. Our club is very detached from the fans right now and we are very much not united. If this man can turn what is very much a squad of workshy soft losers into a winning team he will certainly go on to manage at the very highest level.

Changing the subject completely, I heard on Friday that the Beatles song, Let it  be, was a play on the words ‘Lettuce leaf’.

I know you love the Fab 4, so was wondering if you had any knowledge of this?

I’ve never heard this before, perhaps you have, i8?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

That’s it! 

“Summer”... WTF am I on about. 

Pleased to help, my friend.

You been on the red again?  I have!  :lol: 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Pleased to help, my friend.

You been on the red again?  I have!  :lol: 

I did my wine shopping yesterday and found a very nice blend, 70/30 Merlot and Cabernet. It’s really quite lovely, full bodied, smoky. Very much a sipping wine, a wee deal at $14.I buy those for myself. The wife doesn’t care as long as it’s wet and has a screw top. At 43yo she still cannot operate a corkscrew, or our coffee maker for that matter. She necks wine like the French Foreign Legion on their island off Djibouti. 

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Changing the subject completely, I heard on Friday that the Beatles song, Let it  be, was a play on the words ‘Lettuce leaf’.

Thanks.

News to me Morgan. Paul had a vision of his mother Mary one night when he was going through a bad spell and he heard his mother say in his mind what will be Paul just let it be. He went straight to the piano and composed the masterpiece like the master craftsman he is.

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

The Diggers (Athletic Arms) Decent beer and he can organise to bury the dead wood failures in our squad over the road.

Decent? ****ing fantastic actually. He wasn’t in today plotting the downfall of the ugly sisters.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

The Tynecastle Arms is probably the most likely for the immediate area around the ground. In terms of Hearts supporters in the city? Might not encounter too many of them in and around the town centre, very student/tourist orientated.

You sure about that? Full of Hibbies with the Proclaimers on the duke box.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, graygo said:

Your autocorrect has changed good to German which is ironic seeing as Daniel Stendel is German.

Sorry for the sarcasm, point is who cares where they are from?

You’re right it doesn’t matter but some countries produce better players than others, we had three great Czechs then the last two were 💩. I would rather have Germans or Italians than Poles or Lithuanians for example, if we are signing players from abroad going on past experience.

28 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Must admit I haven’t been in for a while but my enduring memory is very attentive bar staff who spotted you as you came in the door.
They wore aprons and an excellent pint of Special lovingly prepared before it was poured into the glass. Perfect head and very smooth.  It was a pleasure to actually drink in a (real) pub and not some plastic sham.

perfect head in the pub 😮 Dani????

16 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

If he has any sense he’ll keep well away from the arseholes in our support who’ll want to be his ‘pals’

That'll  keep him well  away from here

Doctor FinnBarr

I'm liking the Barnsley fans turning up here full of enthusiasm for the man which in turn is ramping up my enthusiasm, thanks Tykes.

Back on topic, what about Stratties for him? They have bottles of Erdinger

2 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Always has been a great pint. Brings back fond memories

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re right it doesn’t matter but some countries produce better players than others, we had three great Czechs then the last two were 💩. I would rather have Germans or Italians than Poles or Lithuanians for example, if we are signing players from abroad going on past experience.

Far too much of a generalisation to make, you should have stopped after the first 5 words. A player could be from Outer Mongolia, if he's good it matters not a jot, I get what you saying I just disagree.

10 hours ago, sac said:

Drinking Fosters in the Diggers? Sacrilege man

I remember asking for a lager tops, for a friend mind, in there many years ago and got told "we don't do cocktails son" 

He's a brave man if he wants to go drinking with our fans. I'm sure he'll be another Budge failure we want gone once we've drawn with St Johnstone on Saturday. :) 

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

I remember asking for a lager tops, for a friend mind, in there many years ago and got told "we don't do cocktails son" 

😂

The Hogfather
10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You sure about that? Full of Hibbies with the Proclaimers on the duke box.

Ok, Bensons or the Dickens then. 

The Future's Maroon
15 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think the club must have arrangements for flats behind Robertson Avenue as I noticed before players posting on instagram from around there.  So certainly a few good pubs around there if the club put him up there.

I know we had a couple in The Maltings on Slateford Rd, and a couple in the new (ish) flats at Fountainbridge, not sure if we still have them.

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, graygo said:

Far too much of a generalisation to make, you should have stopped after the first 5 words. A player could be from Outer Mongolia, if he's good it matters not a jot, I get what you saying I just disagree.

Fair enough.

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Mcewans 80/- it was, beer is still great.

14 hours ago, Morgan said:

Thanks.

14 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

News to me Morgan. Paul had a vision of his mother Mary one night when he was going through a bad spell and he heard his mother say in his mind what will be Paul just let it be. He went straight to the piano and composed the masterpiece like the master craftsman he is.

"Lettuce Leaf" sounds more like one of the songtitles from 'The Rutles'!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1K4S57xD6vZ4ou4zNLAm

Sure you didn't just get it straight from there, Morgan?

The Real Maroonblood
16 hours ago, davemclaren said:

There was a time when the barman would have given you abuse for that!!

Correct.

His name was Dave.

If you asked for lager he would say if you want a p***s pint go to the Blue Lagoon.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Correct.

His name was Dave.

If you asked for lager he would say if you want a p***s pint go to the Blue Lagoon.

That’s the guy. Didn’t know his name was Dave. 🙄

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Correct.

His name was Dave.

Asked for a larger in Diggers.....got sent through to the Snug bar beside the women.....😂😂

18 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I did my wine shopping yesterday and found a very nice blend, 70/30 Merlot and Cabernet. It’s really quite lovely, full bodied, smoky. Very much a sipping wine, a wee deal at $14.I buy those for myself. The wife doesn’t care as long as it’s wet and has a screw top. At 43yo she still cannot operate a corkscrew, or our coffee maker for that matter. She necks wine like the French Foreign Legion on their island off Djibouti. 

All sounds good.  :thumbsup:

I think the dollar roughly equates to the Euro right now, and 12-14 Euros is roughly what we pay for a middle of the road Barolo which, to use your terminology, is quite lovely too.  

A decent Cotes du Rhone can be had here in France for around 7-10 Euros, also excellent.

My all-time fave however is Rioja, which we drink loads of when in Barcelona (going there next week to see friends). We pick it up there for around 5 Euros!!

8 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I heard he's booked into Ace Tattoo. Full chest FTH, if the rumours are true.

If it’s Billy doing it, it will end up a Union Jack 

4 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

"Lettuce Leaf" sounds more like one of the songtitles from 'The Rutles'!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1K4S57xD6vZ4ou4zNLAm

Sure you didn't just get it straight from there, Morgan?

No, pretty sure he said the Beatles.

Who knows?  :) 

18 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Och well, thanks for replying anyway, appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Bridge of Djoum
8 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I know we had a couple in The Maltings on Slateford Rd, and a couple in the new (ish) flats at Fountainbridge, not sure if we still have them.

Had a few at Roseburn Maltings as well.

Does this matter really? Am sure Levein drank with fans before in the Tynecastle Arms when he was DOF. Not that difficult to do if you’re winning. 

Seems to be a bit of a contradiction that he’s in favour of a football style that requires players to be incredibly fit, and is also in favour of heavy drinking. Obviously that’s a simple reading of it of course. 

3 minutes ago, JCR said:

Does this matter really? Am sure Levein drank with fans before in the Tynecastle Arms when he was DOF. Not that difficult to do if you’re winning. 

Seems to be a bit of a contradiction that he’s in favour of a football style that requires players to be incredibly fit, and is also in favour of heavy drinking. Obviously that’s a simple reading of it of course. 

In fairness, he's probably against heavy drinking by any of his players...   :whistling:

Just now, Auld Reekin' said:

In fairness, he's probably against heavy drinking by any of his players...   :whistling:

Thanks for clarifying. 😅

17 minutes ago, JCR said:

He’ll be in his local cafe/deli/coffee shop every morning for his breakfast too, in fairness you’ve assumed he’s drinking alcohol, when it’s not always the case, (he does like a drink though) he’ll sit there with a few coffees most nights, he lives on his own all his family are back in Germany, he goes out to watch the football on TV and mix with people. 

The Hogfather
26 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

He’ll be in his local cafe/deli/coffee shop every morning for his breakfast too, in fairness you’ve assumed he’s drinking alcohol, when it’s not always the case, (he does like a drink though) he’ll sit there with a few coffees most nights, he lives on his own all his family are back in Germany, he goes out to watch the football on TV and mix with people. 

That sounds very lonely. Whilst I understand wanting his family to grow up in Germany, I hate the thought of anyone feeling alone.

hereford_hearts
14 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Was in with my dad and sister circa 1984. A couple of young English guys came in and asked for 2 g&ts. The were told 'This is a man's pub laddie!'.

hereford_hearts
5 hours ago, Walter Burns said:

Asked for a larger in Diggers.....got sent through to the Snug bar beside the women.....😂😂😂

The snug is where my dad would take me, as I was 15 at the time. Trap 1, trap 2, trap 3, and the confessional!! The only pub where a stranger could hold up an amount of fingers to the barman, and he automatically knew what you wanted. Back in the 80's, before Coronation Inns took it over, and ruined it, there were 16 80 shilling taps, one special, one lager, and one cider.

Who was the old guy who manned the tills? None of the young serving lads were never allowed near it. I'm sure he was also the guy who kept the beer in such good condition. 

Oh, and the steak pies!!!

3 hours ago, JCR said:

Levein used to drink in Indigo Yard.  Often with Mickey Cameron.

As you say, what bloody difference does it make?

2 minutes ago, hereford_hearts said:

The snug is where my dad would take me, as I was 15 at the time. Trap 1, trap 2, trap 3, and the confessional!! The only pub where a stranger could hold up an amount of fingers to the barman, and he automatically knew what you wanted. Back in the 80's, before Coronation Inns took it over, and ruined it, there were 16 80 shilling taps, one special, one lager, and one cider.

Who was the old guy who manned the tills? None of the young serving lads were never allowed near it. I'm sure he was also the guy who kept the beer in such good condition. 

Oh, and the steak pies!!!

Bill Farmer?

hereford_hearts
Just now, Morgan said:

Bill Farmer?

That's the man. Coronation Inns has a policy of staff retiring at 65, so the pensioned him off. More fools them, as he was the one that kept the beer so well. I left Edinburgh in 1984, so stopped going in there, and I think my dad and his mates started drinking in the golden rule when Bill left.

1 minute ago, hereford_hearts said:

That's the man. Coronation Inns has a policy of staff retiring at 65, so the pensioned him off. More fools them, as he was the one that kept the beer so well. I left Edinburgh in 1984, so stopped going in there, and I think my dad and his mates started drinking in the golden rule when Bill left.

Kept a good boozer, did Bill.

:cheers:

Three pints of heavy and two steak pies at lunchtime in the Diggers on the Thursday before we demolished hibs 4-0 at Hampden.  Snowing quite heavily when I left.

Felt like a king.  

Real shame if it's no longer that good.  I'm a lager man but that heavy was like nectar.

Later that day enjoyed a couple of pints with Ian Murray at the Steamie in Newington which he owned at the time.

Absolutely top Jambo.  Getting his book from Santa.