Players suited/not suited to Gengenpressen

scotty2442

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Is part of the point of this type of football that by winning the ball back so quickly after losing it (if you can) your opposition will be much more vulnerable and easier to attack - so yes you will need ability in attack but there should be bigger gaps etc to play into because you’ve forced the play rather than slowly building from the back allowing your opponents to organise and get tight on defence.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Mikey1874

• been here before

• gashauskis9

7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Is part of the point of this type of football that by winning the ball back so quickly after losing it (if you can) your opposition will be much more vulnerable and easier to attack - so yes you will need ability in attack but there should be bigger gaps etc to play into because you’ve forced the play rather than slowly building from the back allowing your opponents to organise and get tight on defence.

Basically the way we played Aug to Oct last year.  Haring, Lee and Naismith were integral to that, and allowed Smith and Garrucio to get forward. 

On 08/12/2019 at 18:28, KyleLafferty said:

Dunno how many times I have to say it you don’t need to be fit as a fiddle to high press 😂

You need to be fit but you don't need to be superman. The main thing seems to be having intelligent players who know how to press in the right way. It's not just a case of everybody closing down. Players need to press but also be in a position to do damage should we win the ball back. Having a good footballing brain can be just as handy as running all day, even with this high press malarkey. 

The whole team needs to carry out their job effectively as well. One or two players who can't carry it out can ruin the entire thing. 

Or at least, that's my understanding of it, based on a few articles I've read over the last week or so. 

2 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

You need to be fit but you don't need to be superman. The main thing seems to be having intelligent players who know how to press in the right way. It's not just a case of everybody closing down. Players need to press but also be in a position to do damage should we win the ball back. Having a good footballing brain can be just as handy as running all day, even with this high press malarkey. 

The whole team needs to carry out their job effectively as well. One or two players who can't carry it out can ruin the entire thing. 

Or at least, that's my understanding of it, based on a few articles I've read over the last week or so. 

Just watch for example a Leeds United game. Every game is streamed online pretty much.  

Though they have had 2 pre seasons to be the fittest side. 

On 11/12/2019 at 10:50, vegas-voss said:

Don't think anybody is expecting us to be Liverpool but we have the ability to play fast attacking football.A lot of it will be getting the players the confidence to play it.

You think we have fast attacking footballers with quality at the club just now. We have ability and we have pace...problem is you can teach a dog to run after a ball but dont expect it then to puck it up and throw it to another dog...therein is the problem  decision making and execution. If we dont do this right good teams pick you off, if you do it right you must have players who can take advantage of it.

been here before

6 months ago most of the 'experts' on here would have thought gegenpressen was some new wank lager. Now they all see themselves as some sort of Jurgen Guardiollas.

Its quite amusing reading the opinions of all these FIFA badge holders who have been lurking under the JKB radar all this time.

:lol:

Mikey its getting a tad boring now, why not just wait till we see how team develops instead of the usual norm "mikeyhehaws" that exists in your " hearts" world.

"The rest will come" is just a ridiculous hearts world statement.

Haringshairband
9 minutes ago, been here before said:

6 months ago most of the 'experts' on here would have thought gegenpressen was some new wank lager. Now they all see themselves as some sort of Jurgen Guardiollas.

Its quite amusing reading the opinions of all these FIFA badge holders who have been lurking under the JKB radar all this time.

:lol:

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos on Gegenpressing. Makes me an expert imo.

been here before
24 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos on Gegenpressing. Makes me an expert imo.

Pretty well qualified then. You could probably slaver stuff like this then with a fair degree of authority...

On 08/12/2019 at 18:41, OTT said:

Wonder if Stendel will be looking at any German boys to bring in? Ultimately, I don't think this style of football has been tried in Scotland, so whilst there will no doubt be players capable of playing that way, having folk familiar with it already could be a huge boost. 

Uber Gegendrivel

Edited by been here before

What do you call the style of playing where the ball is passed along the back line at a snail's pace, eventually get squeezed out to the left of the back 3, who hoofs it out into the stand, in german? 

12 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

What do you call the style of playing where the ball is passed along the back line at a snail's pace, eventually get squeezed out to the left of the back 3, who hoofs it out into the stand, in german? 

Das boot?

31 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Berrasdepressin

Guest ToqueJambo
34 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

The past.

35 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Berrasdepressin

:bravo:

Guest ToqueJambo
23 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Don't think he's got the luxury of pre season. 

He has realistically to the end of February. No improvement by then, to be honest he wouldn't be up to much. 

This surely has to be a squad under performing massively. Check the boy over the road.  I would expect the same improvement 

Hopefully much better. By all accounts (Hibs fans who aren't dicks), apart from one game, the football under Ross has been uninspiring to say the least. He has picked up points though and seems to have transformed a couple of Heckingbottom's signings, which is definitely what we need initially.

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, Rods said:

I think we should be looking at players who fit Geggenpressing and are not suited to hoofball.

We do need players who can defend against hoofball though. Because if we do play the high press that's how most of the teams in the league apart from Celtic and probably Rangers will try to combat it - long balls to try to exploit the space left. Fast, fit defenders and another more mobile midfielder are a must.

Gott admit, I'm slightly nervous about it all. If there's one thing Scottish clubs can do, it's lump balls long in to space, which seems an obvious counter to his style. Hopefully, he'll improve our attacking play to the point where we're 3-0 up before they score and we don't have to worry about it. 

Edited by Normthebarman

On 08/12/2019 at 09:29, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Guys like Whelan would struggle with a more high tempo game. It has to be said that given Naismith’s fitness problems, a hardcore pressing game could be a struggle for him too. 

Fundamentally, we need a completely different squad. So many substandard players, which seemed to be Levein’s speciality in the transfer market. I’m most interested in where we are in 12 months time and I’ll reserve all judgement until then. Stendel’s been dealt a pretty shocking hand.

Can't agree with not having Whelan still there with this system.

He's played it often enough with the Irish although in a different more defensive role.

Think he could be our safety if the opposition broke through the high press.

On 08/12/2019 at 14:56, davemclaren said:

This is what needs to happen. I can't see us attempting major surgery on the team  during the winter break. 

Barnsley must have had more players there already with pace and a good engine than we currently have for that to have worked.

airdriejambo3

seems to be a lot of chat about not having the ball but i haven't seen much on how we can break teams that come to Tynie to defend. Still think teams will sit back and say break us down and we will still be in the same position.

41 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Gott admit, I'm slightly nervous about it all. If there's one thing Scottish clubs can do, it's lump balls long in to space, which seems an obvious counter to his style. Hopefully, he'll improve our attacking play to the point where we're 3-0 up before they score and we don't have to worry about it. 

I agree mate. I just feel the whole thing feels risky. And after the Cathro risk and subsequent failure, why are we taking another gamble. I felt jack Ross or Stephen Robinson seemed the safest risk/reward ratio. It’s like people are hoping it’s going to turn out like klopp at Liverpool (relatively speaking) but what if it just doesn’t work here..? What’s plan B and where did Ann decide this was the way to go..? It’s like she’s trying to win the fans over by buying into the Stendel stuff. I mean where did she come up with I want a manager that plays this style..? Having watched Motherwell I’d be more than happy with their style, organisation with robinson and players on a fraction of ours 

One in the paper today - Dylan McGeouch- would so suit this type of football. Would love to see him in maroon but not a hope in hell me thinks. This type of player is what our midfield is missing - and I don’t think any of our current squad comes close. 

9 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

One in the paper today - Dylan McGeouch- would so suit this type of football. Would love to see him in maroon but not a hope in hell me thinks. This type of player is what our midfield is missing - and I don’t think any of our current squad comes close. 

I'd say we've got half a dozen injury prone players. 

Suited....

smith

bozanic

mulraney

Uche

washington

haring

damour

hickey

the defenders I don’t think are going to matter so Berra could find a role in a sweeper type position. 

Naismith and Walker etc are luxury players anyway and shouldn’t be called upon. We need there energy to break forward when the others win the ball back 

On 11/12/2019 at 20:15, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It’s the total opposite of what we have been doing 

At times we will get beat with the long ball, it will happen but I am loving this fresh approach and I think the players will to.

12 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

I agree mate. I just feel the whole thing feels risky. And after the Cathro risk and subsequent failure, why are we taking another gamble. I felt jack Ross or Stephen Robinson seemed the safest risk/reward ratio. It’s like people are hoping it’s going to turn out like klopp at Liverpool (relatively speaking) but what if it just doesn’t work here..? What’s plan B and where did Ann decide this was the way to go..? It’s like she’s trying to win the fans over by buying into the Stendel stuff. I mean where did she come up with I want a manager that plays this style..? Having watched Motherwell I’d be more than happy with their style, organisation with robinson and players on a fraction of ours 

I don’t see how this can be considered any more or less risky than any other manager.

Some of our best recent results have come from high pressing and running distance stats, particularly 4-0 against Celtic.

To me, this is absolutely the way to play especially at home. 

Why are we so scared of change? The more drastic the change of style the better. The football we have been served up has been beyond unwatchable.