Sent off for swearing

Diadora Van Basten

Maroonblood22
1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Symptomatic of what has happened to our club. Thank **** Stendel is in. Hopefully the black cloud around the team starts to lift and dissipate. 

I know many don't want to hear it, but Mulraney is actually a decent player (or he can be) 

However he's incredibly inconsistent and often not up to standard.

Maybe the new manager can help him get his head in the right place. *IF* he can do that (and improve his crossing), he sounds like he could be the right kind of player for Stendel's system.

I'm not ready to shun the kid just yet. He was wrong to swear at the ref so I hope he gets fined and suspended. I'm just not writing him off. Positive vibes only. No looking back after Tuesday.

I think similar. Mulraney seems to be exactly the sort of player that will fit Stendel's system, very quick and has bags of energy. His **** up yesterday is probably more symptomatic of where the player's are at mentally right now rather than a sign of his actual character.

Stendel seems to favour the younger players going by his interviews and feedback from the Barnsley fans, so I think we'll see a lot less of the MacLean type player and a lot more of Mulraney, Keena, Irving etc.

Maroonblood22
1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Symptomatic of what has happened to our club. Thank **** Stendel is in. Hopefully the black cloud around the team starts to lift and dissipate. 

I know many don't want to hear it, but Mulraney is actually a decent player (or he can be) 

Maybe the new manager can help him get his head in the right place. *IF* he can do that (and improve his crossing), he sounds like he could be the right kind of player for Stendel's system.

I'm not ready to shun the kid just yet. He was wrong to swear at the ref so I hope he gets fined and suspended. I'm just not writing him off. Positive vibes only. No looking back after Tuesday.

Doubler

Edited by Maroonblood22

8 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I ken this is a thread to bash a Hearts player, but I'll chime in by pointing out that if telling the ref to **** off is a straight red card offence now, then tomorrow's cup match is going to be abandoned.

Refs get told to **** off all the time, be something wrong if they didn't. 

Seymour M Hersh

Given the utter garbageness of all our referees week in week out it astounds me that more players are not sent off for vetting their frustrations at the chronic decision making we see week in week out. I won't be watching the bigotfest today but I doubt anyone will get their "marching orders" from the ref for swearing but then you have to referee them differently don't you. 

8 hours ago, andydog said:

Swearing at the ref is a yellow card. Calling the ref a cheat is a red card. I don't know what happened but those are the rules.

That's incorrect mate. My mate is category 3 ref and swearing directly at the ref is a red. 

I still play seniors football. The general rule is don’t swear at the ref. If he swears at you first though then you can swear back. 

At pro level I wouldn’t be expecting anyone to swear at a ref. 

10 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Aye but we see players swearing at refs week in week out yet Jake has been singled out. When was the last time a player in the spfl got sent off for this??

probably Paul Ritchie at Ibrox in 1996 and that was just at the linesman FFS...incidentally also the last time I set foot inside that particular sh**ehole

Referees know foul language will be used towards them.

With me it is all down tone.

"For ****s sake ref" is entirely different to "**** you, ref"

Then players think it's ok to be totally abusive /insulting. No hesitation of a red.

I imagine 90% or more have never reffed a game, so have no experience of how player dissent can snowball into losing control of a match.

My pre match talk warned "call me a *****, I'll be a *****". Players got to know, play fair with me, it would be returned.

5 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I like Mulraney too 

He is just about on his last chance for me, needs to grow a pair and stop hiding in games, needs to look at Neil McCann for example he ruled the left flank. Mulraney does not track back very well and rarely looks like he wants the ball, at moment its a get rid of from me.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Referees know foul language will be used towards them.

With me it is all down tone.

"For ****s sake ref" is entirely different to "**** you, ref"

Then players think it's ok to be totally abusive /insulting. No hesitation of a red.

I imagine 90% or more have never reffed a game, so have no experience of how player dissent can snowball into losing control of a match.

My pre match talk warned "call me a *****, I'll be a *****". Players got to know, play fair with me, it would be returned.

Where do you ref about? Heard that a few times. One boy was saying he used to be in the army so was taking no shit

7 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Where do you ref about? Heard that a few times. One boy was saying he used to be in the army so was taking no shit

Gave up a few years. But mostly west Lothian sunday pub, early days I was Lothian Amateurs on Saturdays, that was the most enjoyable. Although you stillencounter lots of dicks 

Done about 12 years.

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, stotty said:

Don't think we'll miss him - garbage with the heart of a mouse. 

Aye, OK then. 

alwaysthereinspirit
15 hours ago, tian447 said:

There's a difference between swearing during a game, and swearing directly at the referee or in clear earshot when it's about them.   Total lack of respect as well, and rightfully deserves a red card. 

There’s also a difference in who some players play for and some don’t.

Inconsistency again from Scottish officials. And once again Hearts feel the wrath. Hearts fans turning on Hearts players for something done in every game by someone on every team gets on my T!*s. 

Strange guy, we have a mutual friend and from what I hear he’s always flipping his kid and squared up to teammates after a couple of games last season

for a guy with so much aggression it’s bizarre that he can’t channel it into his performances 

4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I got sent off for telling the ref to **** off once. Worth it. 

Me anaw. Ya cheating Barstewart was also part of the sentence.

Footballfirst

Referees are generally encouraged to try and ignore the relatively harmless "**** off" shouts that happen throughout a game. Most of them are in frustration at a decision going against their team.

The problem normally occurs when the abuse gets personal and it becomes "**** off, you" or "you ****ing tosser" or similar.  Most refs are fairly tolerant and will show a yellow card for repeated "dissent" (there is no yellow card option for foul or abusive language), before resorting to a straight red.

I suspect that Mulraney crossed the line, just once too often and the ref had had enough.  I have no sympathy for any player that abuses the officials, and would rather that the refs adopted a zero tolerance approach. 

I wonder how a player would react if the referee said "you ****ing muppet" if the player had just conceded a penalty or an own goal.

19 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Strange guy, we have a mutual friend and from what I hear he’s always flipping his kid and squared up to teammates after a couple of games last season

for a guy with so much aggression it’s bizarre that he can’t channel it into his performances 

I met a wee guy related to Jake a couple of years ago, a cousin I think IIRC, but he was at ICT so I never paid much attention. Anyway, dont want to name him but he was a wee radge from a mental part of Dublin, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jake was a bit tasty.

BTW what does flipping his kid mean?

Edited by Smithee

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I met a wee guy related to Jake a couple of years ago, a cousin I think IIRC, but he was at ICT so I never paid much attention. Anyway, dont want to name him but he was a wee radge from a mental part of Dublin, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jake was a bit tasty.

BTW what does flipping his kid mean?

:lol: meant lid 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Referees are generally encouraged to try and ignore the relatively harmless "**** off" shouts that happen throughout a game. Most of them are in frustration at a decision going against their team.

The problem normally occurs when the abuse gets personal and it becomes "**** off, you" or "you ****ing tosser" or similar.  Most refs are fairly tolerant and will show a yellow card for repeated "dissent" (there is no yellow card option for foul or abusive language), before resorting to a straight red.

I suspect that Mulraney crossed the line, just once too often and the ref had had enough.  I have no sympathy for any player that abuses the officials, and would rather that the refs adopted a zero tolerance approach. 

I wonder how a player would react if the referee said "you ****ing muppet" if the player had just conceded a penalty or an own goal.

I would love to see that happen though !!

I understand that swearing at a ref cannot be condoned but many players do it without being punished, I recall Wayne Rooney repeatedly telling a ref to eff off during a game, camera on him and it was clear what he was saying and who he was saying it to. I was coaching a boys team at the time and it was difficult to explain why he could do that when they'd be suspended for at least 3 games for doing the same. 

15 minutes ago, Macros said:

I understand that swearing at a ref cannot be condoned but many players do it without being punished, I recall Wayne Rooney repeatedly telling a ref to eff off during a game, camera on him and it was clear what he was saying and who he was saying it to. I was coaching a boys team at the time and it was difficult to explain why he could do that when they'd be suspended for at least 3 games for doing the same. 

Yeah. It's very odd for a red to be given when it so often isn't even a yellow.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Pretty sure Anfield just swore at Gollum (understandable tbh) with no punishment. 

He did, but as per the rules of football in Scotland, referees are entitled/under instruction to ignore offences in Rangers v Celtic games that would normally be punished. 

All the paragons of self-control pontificating their self-righteous hypocritical claptrap.

You've never lost it, eh?

Edited by colinmaroon