Sent off for swearing

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

Just thought I would start a thread on the Jake Mulraney sending off.

This seems to be a rather random rule as swearing seems to be part of the game.

There's a difference between swearing during a game, and swearing directly at the referee or in clear earshot when it's about them.   Total lack of respect as well, and rightfully deserves a red card. 

3 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Just thought I would start a thread on the Jake Mulraney sending off.

This seems to be a rather random rule as swearing seems to be part of the game.

Depends what was said and who to......

Pretty obvious no ?

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

There's a difference between swearing during a game, and swearing directly at the referee or in clear earshot when it's about them.   Total lack of respect as well, and rightfully deserves a red card. 

Absolutely this

no place for it and I hope he is fined 

1 minute ago, Natural Orders said:

Absolutely this

Any excuse to make sure those shysters don't get paid.

2 weeks pls. 

18Jambo_dave74

Blatantly told the ref to **** off.

Id be quite happy for him to take his own advice. The reason we’re in this mess is that guys like Mulraney have become first choice picks.

3 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Absolutely this

It is silly...   Not a bad player who may now miss a couple of games when he should be impressing the new Manager.....

Jambof3tornado
31 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Aye but we see players swearing at refs week in week out yet Jake has been singled out. When was the last time a player in the spfl got sent off for this??

SpruceBringsteen

I ken this is a thread to bash a Hearts player, but I'll chime in by pointing out that if telling the ref to **** off is a straight red card offence now, then tomorrow's cup match is going to be abandoned.

Nucky Thompson

I'm not having that, players are constantly swearing at referees.

Would he have sent Scott Brown off for the same thing?

I think we all know the answer

I’ve not got a problem with this but as some have pointed out it’s double standards as usual. I remember a TV game a couple of years ago when Leigh Griffiths was taking an age to take a corner, the referee blew his whistle to hurry him up and Griffiths screamed ‘**** off!’ at him clear as day. 

Can you imagine the same ref, or any ref for that matter sending Scott Brown off for swearing? No chance in hell.

8 minutes ago, andydog said:

Swearing at the ref is a yellow card. Calling the ref a cheat is a red card. I don't know what happened but those are the rules.

That’s not true mate. Using insulting, abusive or offensive language is a red card offence and always has been. 

I do recall Ashley Cole  when playing for Chelsea clearly - and on TV - shouting to the ref - three times - “eff off, eff off, eff off”

and no action taken

i just never get why swearing at the ref is different between football and rugby

Not that the offence is using foul OR abusive language.

I also agree with everybody who says (a) Mulraney should be fined by the club and

(b) that there's not a chance in hell that any OF player or official would receive the same sanction.

Agree that the red is the usual double standards

But I am also disappointed at the way the reserve team players swear and chib at refs .. 

22 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I ken this is a thread to bash a Hearts player, but I'll chime in by pointing out that if telling the ref to **** off is a straight red card offence now, then tomorrow's cup match is going to be abandoned.

great point

1 hour ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Blatantly told the ref to **** off.

Id be quite happy for him to take his own advice. The reason we’re in this mess is that guys like Mulraney have become first choice picks.

Exactly

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Except if your name is Scot Brown

Got a second yellow during my semi pro days years ago after loudly proclaiming the F word after copping a big sliding studs up debacle. Didn’t even direct it at the ref 😂

20 minutes ago, cardboardcutout said:

Applying logic to it, I suspect it was more than the norm hence the red card. 

He said **** off.

I agree with that but how many games do we watch live and on tv and players are constantly swearing at the referee... 

Bet the game tomorrow has sh!t loads of it.. could you imagine the carnage if a referee sent off and old firm player for that...

Spitonastranger

McGregor swore directly at the ref at the Don's game guess what happened 

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

I do recall Ashley Cole  when playing for Chelsea clearly - and on TV - shouting to the ref - three times - “eff off, eff off, eff off”

and no action taken

i just never get why swearing at the ref is different between football and rugby

Rugby players have more respect for the refs 

Of course we don't know what was said

If he has sworn and more than the acceptable level then he is an idiot and deserves his punishment as well a fine.

He has let down his team mates, the club and the fans with a lack of discipline on the park

It is perhaps an example of just why things are not quite right at the club

We can argue all day as to whether other players at other clubs would have received the same punishment from the same referee and maybe time will tell on that one but our player IF he has shown offence to the referee needs to ask himself some serious questions about his attitude. It might have made him feel better for a couple of seconds but he will not be available at a time when he is most needed...and of course it may be a bad time for him with a new manager coming in and players under pressure to perform

9 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Of course we don't know what was said

If he has sworn and more than the acceptable level then he is an idiot and deserves his punishment as well a fine.

He has let down his team mates, the club and the fans with a lack of discipline on the park

It is perhaps an example of just why things are not quite right at the club

We can argue all day as to whether other players at other clubs would have received the same punishment from the same referee and maybe time will tell on that one but our player IF he has shown offence to the referee needs to ask himself some serious questions about his attitude. It might have made him feel better for a couple of seconds but he will not be available at a time when he is most needed...and of course it may be a bad time for him with a new manager coming in and players under pressure to perform

I’m no lip reader but I’d bet my house it was f—k off, after being told to retreat at the free kick. It’s clear as day on the telly. 

3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

If he told the ref to **** off, he should be fined.

Was as clear as day that those were his exact words. He didn't even look remotely bothered about going off either.

PhoenixHearts

Symptomatic of what has happened to our club. Thank **** Stendel is in. Hopefully the black cloud around the team starts to lift and dissipate. 

I know many don't want to hear it, but Mulraney is actually a decent player (or he can be) 

However he's incredibly inconsistent and often not up to standard.

Maybe the new manager can help him get his head in the right place. *IF* he can do that (and improve his crossing), he sounds like he could be the right kind of player for Stendel's system.

I'm not ready to shun the kid just yet. He was wrong to swear at the ref so I hope he gets fined and suspended. I'm just not writing him off. Positive vibes only. No looking back after Tuesday.

4 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

I’m no lip reader but I’d bet my house it was f—k off, after being told to retreat at the free kick. It’s clear as day on the telly. 

100% correct 

6 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I look forward to Lennon receiving 237 retrospective red cards!

Or Broony, or Morelos or any one of the arse cheeks players