The mass clear out.

Restonbabe

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

JJ did sign the occasion duds however the vast majority were cracking signings many of whom were sold on for big money.

Levein in comparison was hopeless!

It wasn't meant to be a comparison between now and JJ's time but simply to point out that every club spunks money and we have a long line of managers who have done so.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• tcjambo

• JamboAl

• DH1986

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

People want to take a look at the 19 signings made last season (including loans) then have a wee think about what the actual **** has been going on.

Where you thinking that when we were sitting top after 12 games and in a semi-final ?

No.....me neither.

When we collapsed....after a few key injuries it became clear that what we all thought was a pretty decent squad was built around a spine of 4 or 5 players and when they went we had nothing in reserve.

9 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

JJ also gave us Gordon Petrie, Paul Smith, Leigh Jenkinson, Darren Beckford, Fitzroy Simpson and Kevin James though.......

He also gave us the greatest day in our

lives(up to that point) 

I always felt that JJ. did better in the

transfer market when funds were limited and he had to look for bargains. 

Once he got the MSG money he was like a bairn in a sweetie shop. 

CL also liked to look for bargains but an awful lot became expensive failures either through being poor or unlucky with injuries. 

No need for personal abuse towards any of our players or management though. 

It demean us as a support imo. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Where you thinking that when we were sitting top after 12 games and in a semi-final ?

No.....me neither.

When we collapsed....after a few key injuries it became clear that what we all thought was a pretty decent squad was built around a spine of 4 or 5 players and when they went we had nothing in reserve.

INJUREEEEEEEEZ

Look at the state of us ffs

6 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

No.....me neither.

I’m talking about the signings themselves rather than our league position at the time. Just over a year later and players who were initially good have just got shite and left, now looking like they’re not going to make it at hearts or barely featured cos they’ve never been good enough. It’s a helluva lot of signings to get through in a year plus the ones this season 

Not to mention the injuries, 

Edited by GinRummy

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

“despite their clear inability” :rofl:

Doesn’t that sum up what we’ve become?

Stendel will make players better, I’m sure of that, but we should be bulleting duds. We’re not a charity, much as we act like one.

I think Stendel will decide for himself who the duds are not the champo manager brigade. 

All I am suggesting is we try and push these players that wee extra bit by supporting them( get behind the team for a change) The booing has not worked in fact its made it easier for opposition.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Rods said:

I think Stendel will decide for himself who the duds are not the champo manager brigade. 

All I am suggesting is we try and push these players that wee extra bit by supporting them( get behind the team for a change) The booing has not worked in fact its made it easier for opposition.

Perhaps some of them could start acting like footballers. Quid pro quo.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Perhaps some of them could start acting like footballers. Quid pro quo.

I believe they will have to under a new manager.

I just hope folk like yourself have an open mind and god forbid back the team.

5 minutes ago, Rods said:

The team will get backed when the fans see them putting an effort in. It’s been the same for at least 35 years that I know of.  Hide and go through the motions and the fans will dig them out

look at the support they got at last years cup final.

Edited by GinRummy

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Rods said:

Stendel will get all the time he needs from me. Loads of these players are thieving a living. Hopefully he ****s them off.

3 goalies

Brandon

Berra

White

Bozanic

Morrison

Mclean

Dikamona

Wighton

Will never be good enough. 

Early days but Damour doesn't look up to it either. 

Sean Clare is probably in last chance saloon. If a new manager can't get an improvement then get rid. 

Uche is a handful at times but should be more of an impact player rather than focal point if the team. 

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

3 goalies

Brandon

Berra

White

Bozanic

Morrison

Mclean

Dikamona

Wighton

Will never be good enough. 

Early days but Damour doesn't look up to it either. 

Sean Clare is probably in last chance saloon. If a new manager can't get an improvement then get rid. 

Uche is a handful at times but should be more of an impact player rather than focal point if the team. 

Hard to disagree with that.

Selkirkhmfc1874
26 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I bet JJ wasted more money on transfer fees than CL did.

Over £1m on Tomasek, Petrie and Simpson alone. 

Even trying to compare them both is ridiculous! Fact is JJ was a winner and levein a serial loser 

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

There isn't going to be one. AB already said how difficult to move players on. 

Moving players on going to be huge problem because leveins got most of them on long term contracts 

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Moving players on going to be huge problem because leveins got most of them on long term contracts 

Agreed. The chat about gegenpressing is hilarious with this squad. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Agreed. The chat about gegenpressing is hilarious with this squad. 

Exactly! Won't surprise me if we see much more of the kids from the academy from now until winter break 

34 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It wasn't meant to be a comparison between now and JJ's time but simply to point out that every club spunks money and we have a long line of managers who have done so.

None more than Levein over the last few years!

59 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Unbelievable to even compare the 2 eh ! JJ signed the likes of weir, cameron , flogel , mccann, Adam , rousset, Fulton, etc etc while also bringing through the likes of locke , Ritchie, naismith , johnstone etc etc while levein gave us the likes of zlamal , doyle, vanecek, wighton, damour etc etc 

Don’t forget Danny Amankwaa! 🙈

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yeah there's been that many ! Honestly how he lasted so long was criminal 

46 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I bet JJ wasted more money on transfer fees than CL did.

Over £1m on Tomasek, Petrie and Simpson alone. 

And how about the multi millions he recouped when we sold Cameron, McCann, Weir, Niemi, Naysmith????

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

And how about the multi millions he recouped when we sold Cameron, McCann, Weir, Niemi, Naysmith????

Exactly ! Leveins recruitment has been nothing short of disgraceful and the worst part of it is he's still taking a wage from hearts 

55 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Yep.

But selecting only his good signings was daft. You should ask the Bradford fans what they thought of his signings.....Locke, Makel, Tod and Juanjo to name a few. I’m actually sure JJ pitched Gary Locke in at Old Trafford to mark Ryan Giggs.

All managers make poor signings.

I don’t judge JJ for what he did at Bradford - I judge him for what he did at Hearts!

1 hour ago, Rods said:

I think people are in for a shock and perhaps should steer clear of tynie for the next few months.Clare etc will be getting game time under Stendel.

Hopefully we are moving back to an era were we actively encourage players despite their clear inability.

Scott Brown and Neil Lennon get an easier ride at tynecastle compared to Clare etc

Losing the plot there bud! 😂

11 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Trumped by Dylan Bikey who has now gone full circle back to Stirling Albion

For the record.....

I was clearly stating that JJ made several shit signings also. He also wasted a hell of a lot of money in his time here. The cash squandered in fees and wages was in the millions when we were trying to bridge the gap to the OF and CL had to clean up that mess when he joined from Cowdenbeath.

We also all wanted JJ to go after the 6-2 defeat....and he also stayed longer than he should have.

‘98 will probably never be surpassed in my eyes but let’s not pretend JJ didn’t have major faults....much like CL.

Edited by DH1986

6 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I don’t judge JJ for what he did at Bradford - I judge him for what he did at Hearts!

I was merely pointing out it’s not uncommon for managers to make very poor signings.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I was merely pointing out it’s not uncommon for managers to make very poor signings.

All managers make poor signings but not anywhere near as levein has this last couple of years ! The owner backed him to the hilt with resources which he totally wasted aswell as playing a awful brand of eye bleeding football 

5 hours ago, tcjambo said:

What a load of bollocks - he never left us in the lurch. He got a chance to test himself in England which almost any manager in the same situation would have done. Remember he had spent virtually his whole career with us - he was entitled to take that chance. As it was Romanov was on the horizon and he would have been sacked by that clown anyway.

Bollocks - he left us in the lurch with no manager a few days before a big European tie! He jumped at the first chance to manage a “big” Club instead of a “provincial” Club as he described Hearts at his first Leicester press conference. That was his choice but he didn’t come across as a “Hearts Legend” with that talk!

He was a fantastic player for Hearts and yes he did spend almost his entire career with Hearts simply because he had a dodgy knee which prevented him getting a big money transfer. 
As for Romanov at that stage nobody knew the type of person was - including Levein.

8 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

For the record.....

I was clearly stating that JJ made several shit signings also. He also wasted a hell of a lot of money in his time here. The cash squandered in fees and wages was in the millions when we were trying to bridge the gap to the OF and CL had to clean up that mess when he joined from Cowdenbeath.

We also all wanted JJ to go after the 6-2 defeat....and he also stayed longer than he should have.

‘98 will probably never be surpassed in my eyes but let’s not pretend JJ didn’t have major faults....much like CL.

You continue to ignore the fact that JJ’s signings recouped millions more than the money he spent.

9 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

And I was merely pointing out that I don’t give a FF what signings a manager makes when at another Club - that has no relevance to the signings made at Hearts!

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, Rods said:

I'm guessing that is some sort of computer game. As human beings we all produce output from what we eat and drink so know that shit is shit. In football terms I go to every game, home or away and while I accept that personal opinion can play a part regular viewing tends to make it clear when shit is shit and I don't think it involves making judgements based on computer games. I don't think it will take him long to realise what he has to build around, who he needs to move out and which youngsters he has to get in or get back into the fold. I suspect that he isn't one of those sort of people who will tell youngsters they are too small and lightweight to be footballers, he will treat them based on ability

Edited by portobellojambo1

9 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

You continue to ignore the fact that JJ’s signings recouped millions more than the money he spent.

I wasn’t ignoring it at all.

I was there and I’m well aware of how some of these signings made us money.

But I’m equally aware how many didn’t. Towards the end of his tenure JJ’s signings and spending was leading us down a very dangerous path.

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I wasn’t ignoring it at all.

I was there and I’m well aware of how some of these signings made us money.

But I’m equally aware how many didn’t. Towards the end of his tenure JJ’s signings and spending was leading us down a very dangerous path.

One of his last big signings was Anti Niemi.

At the end of his tenure football finances had changed for ALL Clubs as banks started calling in loans.

9 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I suspect that he isn't one of those sort of people who will tell youngsters they are too small and lightweight to be footballers, he will treat them based on ability

That will make a refreshing change then!

portobellojambo1
5 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That will make a refreshing change then!

It is something we've been discussing on our bus on the way to recent games. We were trying to establish if there was anyone who thought that maybe Jock Stein ever told Jimmy Johnstone he was too small or lightweight to make it as a footballer or instead sent him out to do what he was best at.

Edited by portobellojambo1

On 07/12/2019 at 20:11, ...a bit disco said:

Highly respected as the 'best coach' at the club by many. Can't see him getting the boot to be honest.

Sceptical anyway, seeing who the OP is.

Agreed I hope he stays .. heard also AM is part of the plans

On 07/12/2019 at 20:36, Famous 1874 said:

Need to get John Murray punted. This ***** has recommended us utter dross for years and seems to get away with it. 

Not true IMO ... recommended some good stuff ... the Manager has made the decision on who he signs

On 07/12/2019 at 20:23, Hearts1975 said:

No John Rankin ? 

If true this is great news as it’s needed Tbf

all this talk of 5 year plans etc .. it’s now ripped up and in the bin 

genuinely think Stendel will rid the club of every bit of negativity and defensive mentality and get us back where we belong playing a brand of football which hasn’t been seen in a long long time ... time will tell But Xmas has come early for me 

No kneejerking just get rid of the crap on and off the field. Surely the success of Andy Kirk and John Rankin working with the reserves and colts should prevent them from being ditched

48 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I'm guessing that is some sort of computer game. As human beings we all produce output from what we eat and drink so know that shit is shit. In football terms I go to every game, home or away and while I accept that personal opinion can play a part regular viewing tends to make it clear when shit is shit and I don't think it involves making judgements based on computer games. I don't think it will take him long to realise what he has to build around, who he needs to move out and which youngsters he has to get in or get back into the fold. I suspect that he isn't one of those sort of people who will tell youngsters they are too small and lightweight to be footballers, he will treat them based on ability

Agreed as I said earlier I am going to rely on the new manager to make judgements. If his judgement is Clare, Whighton and Damour etc then those players will get my support. It’s a clean slate from here on in. I know you go in week in week out surely you also would like to see the support behind the team making tynie a place to be feared again. Yeh we may be 1-0 down at HT but we should be roaring the team on in the 2nd half. 

2 minutes ago, TWF said:

No kneejerking just get rid of the crap on and off the field. Surely the success of Andy Kirk and John Rankin working with the reserves and colts should prevent them from being ditched

At Riccarton there were 2 tactics board used - one for the first team and the other for the reserves and colts. The first team board had several arrows pointing sideways and backwards with very few pointing forward. The reserves and colts board had several arrows ALL pointing forward and protected by a series of tank traps at the rear. This tells its own story.

Keep Andy Kirk and John Rankin

Get Rid of Daly Fox and Macphee

41 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

One of his last big signings was Anti Niemi.

At the end of his tenure football finances had changed for ALL Clubs as banks started calling in loans.

In that same season he signed Fabien Le Clerq, Robert Tomaschek, Fitzroy Simpson and Gordon Petric too. Followed by Gordon Durie the season after.

Cost us a fortune before resigning and heading for a job in England.....

The pattern is uncanny when you think about it.

...a bit disco
43 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Agreed I hope he stays .. heard also AM is part of the plans

:thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

In that same season he signed Fabien Le Clerq, Robert Tomaschek, Fitzroy Simpson and Gordon Petric too. Followed by Gordon Durie the season after.

Cost us a fortune before resigning and heading for a job in England.....

The pattern is uncanny when you think about it.

I’m not saying JJ didn’t sign some duds but the point is his really good signings - Cameron, Weir, Salvatore, McCann, Niemi, Adam, Flogel, Rosset, etc, way outweighed the bad ones.

As for costing us a fortune if you add up the money he spent against the money gained through selling players JJ was way in the black - not to mention the commercial benefit of winning the SC.

The pattern of Levein’s shambolic era bears absolutely no resemblance to that of JJ.

Edited by Thomaso

15 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I’m not saying JJ didn’t sign some duds but the point is his really good signings - Cameron, Weir, Salvatore, McCann, Niemi, Adam, Flogel, Rosset, etc, way outweighed the bad ones.

As for costing us a fortune if you add up the money he spent against the money gained through selling players JJ was way in the black - not to mention the commercial benefit of winning the SC.

The pattern of Levein’s shambolic era bears absolutely no resemblance to that of JJ.

That wasn't the point.  The point was about us signing duds and JJ was used as an example of one manager who did this - as did Fergie and Mourinho.

If I remember correctly JJ spent £500k on Petric and £400k on Niemi.  CL and/or Cathro have never spent that money in total over a 5 year period.

But

as i said, all managers sign duds.  It's not exclusive to our regime.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That wasn't the point.  The point was about us signing duds and JJ was used as an example of one manager who did this - as did Fergie and Mourinho.

If I remember correctly JJ spent £500k on Petric and £400k on Niemi.  CL and/or Cathro have never spent that money in total over a 5 year period.

But

as i said, all managers sign duds.  It's not exclusive to our regime.

The debate moved on from the original point - it happens on a fans forum. 
If I remember correctly we sold Niemi for £2m easily covering the Petric and Niemi purchases You mention and some!

Football finances have changed dramatically since JJ first stint at Hearts. Paying transfer fees to Clubs were common back then - now they are virtually non existent so it is hardly a surprise Cathro/CL didn’t spend that kind of money - your point is irrelevant.

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

People want to take a look at the 19 signings made last season (including loans) then have a wee think about what the actual **** has been going on.

Any chance we can move on, mate? We got the man we wanted, we have to switch our thoughts and hopes to that rather than continually being bitter about what’s gone before. 

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, Rods said:

Agreed as I said earlier I am going to rely on the new manager to make judgements. If his judgement is Clare, Whighton and Damour etc then those players will get my support. It’s a clean slate from here on in. I know you go in week in week out surely you also would like to see the support behind the team making tynie a place to be feared again. Yeh we may be 1-0 down at HT but we should be roaring the team on in the 2nd half. 

The only reason Tynecastle isn't a fearful place for visiting teams and fans at the moment is because of the absolutely dire state the most important part of the business, the football, has been allowed to get into. As for the three players you mention I sincerely hope they are amongst the first to depart, in fact I'm still not convinced Damour has ever been a football player.

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The debate moved on from the original point - it happens on a fans forum. 
If I remember correctly we sold Niemi for £2m easily covering the Petric and Niemi purchases You mention and some!

Football finances have changed dramatically since JJ first stint at Hearts. Paying transfer fees to Clubs were common back then - now they are virtually non existent so it is hardly a surprise Cathro/CL didn’t spend that kind of money - your point is irrelevant.

My point is not irrelevant.  If we lately had made a signing fot £500k we might have sold him on for £10m but we didn't have that luxury so your point is irrelevant.  What would £500k be worth in today's money?

You have accepted JJ signed duds so that should put that issue to bed.

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Levein’s shambolic era

Three little words with so much meaning.