Big Dunc

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Caretaker manager at Everton

Message for the players has to be Standby to Standby. He is one guy you don't mess with.

Apparently he has mellowed but I wouldn't like to test that theory.

I remember the story when he kicked Ruud Gullit's door in after he dropped him to the bench then blamed him for losing the match !

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Battering two robbers who broke in his house was :jjyay:

Aye - forgot about that !

Can only assume they didn't know who's house they were robbing

millerjames398
13 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Battering two robbers who broke in his house was :jjyay:

Think it was two separate attempts to burgle him, same outcome, both robbers cemented😂, you'd have the 2nd lot would have got the msg, after the 1st failed attempt, don't **** with st ninian boys🤛😂

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Stitch that !

20191205_233713.jpg.6aaab25a716bcaed5cd842d3b0eacdec.jpg

That incident and the aftermath cost us a really good centreforward that might have helped us to a couple more major tournaments. :( 

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Certainly loved a good 50/50 or a header

He was good with his feet as well. I remember watching him at Tynecastle when he played for Dundee Utd. Had a good touch

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He was good with his feet as well. I remember watching him at Tynecastle when he played for Dundee Utd. Had a good touch

He was a cracking player, I liked him a lot, considering.

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

He must have fists like granite - nobody ever seems to get up from his punches and he put 2 robbers in hospital !

millerjames398
43 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He must have fists like granite - nobody ever seems to get up from his punches and he put 2 robbers in hospital !

He's a big unit, my mates big brother played against him at juvenile level and said he was a cut above the rest, but not afraid to get involved 😂best thing for his career going down south, he still enjoyed a night out at the fubar in Stirling, and getting into a bit mischief when he was up here😂

brunoatemyhamster

Dont make them like Dunc anymore.

30/70 baw ? Thats Duncs baw.

Forget his time at Rangeco, Some player.

Remember an ex player talking about and game where he was on the bench with Dunc, they were watching some opponent bully his way through the game, Dunc apologised even before entering the field..... Went straight on and snapped him in half and got sent off 😁 

Imagine how much uglier Brown would look after a game against t the old Dunc. 

40 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Some player. Disastrous that he was not available for Scotland after the stitch up 

Cant remember enough of the details to say whether or not it was a “stitch up”, but the end result was us being robbed of by far the best centreforward eligible to play for, us at a time when we stopped qualifying for tournaments. It was pretty frustrating.

Some of the ex pro's who played with him said he was unbelievable and had a very good touch.  I seem to recall him doing a nice overhead kick in his younger days, not got a clue it was with Utd, Scotland or Rangers..  Just a hazy memory

jack D and coke
19 minutes ago, Jambo83 said:

Some of the ex pro's who played with him said he was unbelievable and had a very good touch.  I seem to recall him doing a nice overhead kick in his younger days, not got a clue it was with Utd, Scotland or Rangers..  Just a hazy memory

Scotland vs Germany at Ibrox that was. Might have been his Scotland debut. Got a move to Rangers on the back of it I think for about £4.2m which between Scottish clubs just seems utterly mental now. 
A sin the way the SFA and police went after him for that incident with Jock McStay. 
Always liked big Dunc, he could play for a big lad and in the air he was a beast. 
I believe he’s a top bloke too. 

And hard as ****. 

From what I heard it went like this

“Sorry mr Ferguson we didn’t realise it was your house, we’re gone”

- Nah, It disnae work that way.....

Салатные палочки
14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Scotland vs Germany at Ibrox that was. Might have been his Scotland debut. Got a move to Rangers on the back of it I think for about £4.2m which between Scottish clubs just seems utterly mental now. 
A sin the way the SFA and police went after him for that incident with Jock McStay. 
Always liked big Dunc, he could play for a big lad and in the air he was a beast. 
I believe he’s a top bloke too. 

And hard as ****. 

Jock McStay, cousin of Celtic and, quite possibly, SFA darling Paul McStay.  

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Rangers thug being eulogised on here. Oh dear. 

Dunno why but just something about Duncan Ferguson that despite playing for Rangers and being a bit of a thug i just could not help help but like him.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Dunno why but just something about Duncan Ferguson that despite playing for Rangers and being a bit of a thug i just could not help help but like him.

Likeable rouge type.

.:rofl:

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Likeable rouge type.

.:rofl:

No, this is likeable rouge. Perhaps you mean rogue. ;)

horizon%252Fimages_additionnelles%252FY0

Edited by redjambo

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

:laugh2: throwing it about like an empty shell suit.  

3 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Cant remember enough of the details to say whether or not it was a “stitch up”, but the end result was us being robbed of by far the best centreforward eligible to play for, us at a time when we stopped qualifying for tournaments. It was pretty frustrating.

Scotland qualified for the next two tournaments after the McStay incident.

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

Scotland qualified for the next two tournaments after the McStay incident.

His last Scotland appearance was in 1997, and he refused to play for the SFA after that due to his grievances with the way they handled things. Our last major tournament was France 98.

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

His last Scotland appearance was in 1997, and he refused to play for the SFA after that due to his grievances with the way they handled things. Our last major tournament was France 98.

How the memory plays tricks. I assumed he'd just chucked it immediately afterwards!

20 minutes ago, Darren said:

How the memory plays tricks. I assumed he'd just chucked it immediately afterwards!

I can't remember all the details, mate. It rumbled on for a while though. 

I liked big Duncan.

Can’t remember the details, but I’m sure there was an incident involving him at the taxi rank queue in Waverley Station?

People need to remember that the conviction for the incident on the pitch was his fourth for assault so he pretty much had to be jailed. Whether he should have been charged for it is a different debate.

millerjames398
9 hours ago, oi oi said:

One of them couldn't eat solid food for months!  

:greggy:

And that was after he'd been smashed over the head with a vodka bottle, during the melee after he'd caught them, must have just pissed him off even more, rather than scare big dunc off😂

Samuel Camazzola
13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Aye - forgot about that !

Can only assume they didn't know who's house they were robbing

Surely the pigeons would have been a giveaway! 😄 

I know someone who left school to sign for Newcastle and he said Dunc was superb with the guys in the youth team. Always looked out for them and willing to give his time. Shearer not so much. 

32 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

People need to remember that the conviction for the incident on the pitch was his fourth for assault so he pretty much had to be jailed. Whether he should have been charged for it is a different debate.

Including, if I remember rightly, assaults on an off duty police officer and someone on crutches. 

hereford_hearts

Met big Dunc in the Birmingham City players lounge, after a preseason friendly against Everton in 1996. He was injured for euro 96. I asked him if he watched the Scotland matches, and he just shrugged his shoulders, and told me he was in Spain. I'm 6 foot 2, and he was immense against me. 

Nice guy all in all.

Edited by hereford_hearts

5 minutes ago, benny said:

He scored 11 league goals twice in the English top league.

Not quite the top centre forward mentioned on this thread.

If you speak to Everton fans they will all tell you it's the work that he done for others that made him such a threat. He would out muscle both centre backs and have the vision to lay off the perfect ball. Think Uche but with a footballers brain and feet. 

Clearly a talented player but my recollection is that he didn't really perform for Scotland. IIRC he played around 8 times for Scotland and didn't score a single goal. 

I think he had every right to feel hard done by though in terms of his treatment by the SFA. 

Honestly, come on. Are we honestly debating whether Duncan Ferguson was a good CF? Questions and debate about his personality or off-field actions to one side, the guy was a bloody good centreforward. :

30 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Honestly, come on. Are we honestly debating whether Duncan Ferguson was a good CF? Questions and debate about his personality or off-field actions to one side, the guy was a bloody good centreforward. :

Yeh, not sure about the contribution of a player that never moved professional clubs for less than multiple millions including record transfer fees.

This places is nuts at times.

2 minutes ago, Super T said:

Yeh, not sure about the contribution of a player that never moved professional clubs for less than multiple millions including record transfer fees.

This places is nuts at times.

I don’t watch huge amounts of football from Scotland, England and abroad like I used to, these days. I am not in a position to speak with a lot of certainty on who is going to win the EPL or the CL. I lost interest.

Back when Duncan Ferguson was playing, I did. The guy was good. Really good.

I’d snap your arm off for Duncan Ferguson in his prime to be turning out in a Hearts and Scotland shirt right now.

I wonder if Romanov would've asked big Dunc to put the gloves on............... now there's a match up!

Him and Naismith are good mates - maybe Naisy could get him out retirement can't be worse than Uche!