Growing Up Poor

The Mighty Thor

6 hours ago, Cade said:

Circumstances are very different now than when the "I'm alright jack" crowd grew up.

"Work hard" isn't enough any more as there are untold thousands of people in the UK who have a full time job but are still struggling due to the unregulated rental market, utilities cartels and the cost of commuting (especially via train) all combing to ensure that almost every penny earned is handed straight over at the end of every month.

Many families are one small event away from needing to visit a foodbank.

If your oven or fridge breaks down, it's something that has to be replaced right away and this pushes them into debt which takes months to pay off.

I grew up relatively poor, growing veg in the back green, going to school with fried potato peelings for a break time snack, never going further than 50 mils away on holiday and even then it was in a caravan borrowed from a family friend. 

But despite these hardships, my parents were actually able to save some money at the end of the month and finally managed to put a deposit down on a house and escaped the rent trap.

In 2019 families with two working parents are still not able to put enough away to save for a deposit due to the housing bubble putting up the cost of a deposit faster than they can save and rising rents meaning they have less they can save each month.

People are trapped forever in a cycle of poverty and just because you remember how you managed to escape it 30-40 years ago does not mean the same escape routes are open today.

Good point. In the 70’s my big sister went out with the only bloke in our village who was unemployed and he was regarded as pondlife by my Dad.

My Mum, (God bless her) went to teacher training college at 38 and taught primary school special needs kids until she was near 80.

The first non council property I ever lived in I bought meself. But my folks managed to buy once me and my big sister had moved out.

Mrs JH and me only had one child and, I sometimes look at guys I work beside with 2 or 3 and big house and wonder “How the **** are you managing”? 
I don’t envy them and it’s one of the few advantages to being an old **** 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Herbert.

• Sharpie

• doctor jambo

• vegas-voss

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My long gone ,mother would be very upset if I claimed to having been brought up poor. We were a working class family somewhere between poor and middle class. My father always worked, done all his own home repairs, didn't drink, and stopped smoking when they went up in price in the forties. My mother was a thrifty hielander. She cooked and made the most out of every scrap of food she bought. She done all her own sewing, and I was the inherent of all my sisters used clothes that could be altered to be o.k for a boy. She made my first pair of football pants out of an old no longer needed black out curtain, they were a shiney black just  like my hero Jimmy Brown wore. She had the Provident checks, her St Cuthberts shareholders number, and other ways to save money. They taught us respect for money, and the philosophy nothing was for nothing, and hard work and effort was normally rewarded.

Their sacrifices and advice was rewarded when I made them proud with my excellent Scots Guards service and finishing rank, my entry into the police my fathers ambition for me.  To them having pride in their son was payment enough, for me to advance as far as I could professionally and financially I knew would be reward enough for them, I achieved both.

So we may not have been poor to the strict definition, and I may not be rich by the same tenet, but I am satisfied that if two long gone people are looking down they are saying we done a good job.

40 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

My long gone ,mother would be very upset if I claimed to having been brought up poor. We were a working class family somewhere between poor and middle class. My father always worked, done all his own home repairs, didn't drink, and stopped smoking when they went up in price in the forties. My mother was a thrifty hielander. She cooked and made the most out of every scrap of food she bought. She done all her own sewing, and I was the inherent of all my sisters used clothes that could be altered to be o.k for a boy. She made my first pair of football pants out of an old no longer needed black out curtain, they were a shiney black just  like my hero Jimmy Brown wore. She had the Provident checks, her St Cuthberts shareholders number, and other ways to save money. They taught us respect for money, and the philosophy nothing was for nothing, and hard work and effort was normally rewarded.

Their sacrifices and advice was rewarded when I made them proud with my excellent Scots Guards service and finishing rank, my entry into the police my fathers ambition for me.  To them having pride in their son was payment enough, for me to advance as far as I could professionally and financially I knew would be reward enough for them, I achieved both.

So we may not have been poor to the strict definition, and I may not be rich by the same tenet, but I am satisfied that if two long gone people are looking down they are saying we done a good job.

❤️👍

44 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

My father exactly the same. Alas alot of the above has been lost. 

On 03/12/2019 at 07:33, Herbert said:

I grew up poor and now despise them. Most are lazy and afraid of the hard work involved in dragging yourself up from the scum.

Your experience is valid.

There is a  gap between your income and that of the poor, as others pointed out mostly working. Maybe you just meant people not working. 

But then some people earn a lot more than you. Then you must be lazy and feckless in comparison to them. Lazy and feckless for not earning what they earn. Since they have worked hard for it. 

Edited by Mikey1874

I grew up poor and now despise them. Most are lazy and afraid of the hard work involved in dragging yourself up from the scum.

I take it you despise your parents then?

I mean they were obviously lazy and scared of hard work to be poor right?

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

:laugh2:

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Parent 

And yes I do, I've not spoken to them in well over 10years I despise them that much.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Your experience is valid.

There is a  gap between your income and that of the poor, as others pointed out mostly working. Maybe you just meant people not working. 

But then some people earn a lot more than you. Then you must be lazy and feckless in comparison to them. Lazy and feckless for not earning what they earn. Since they have worked hard for it. 

Yes I ment those not working. 

5 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Parent 

And yes I do, I've not spoken to them in well over 10years I despise them that much.

Fair enough but it sounds like you harbour quite a lot of bitterness (maybe it’s justified, I know nothing of your past and don’t expect you to disclose it).

it seems that you’re directing that bitterness towards others, many who probably don’t deserve it.

23 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Yes I ment those not working. 

Your experience.

It is valid. 

I don't have enough contact with people on benefits but being in poverty especially with children is a full time job to just get by. 

Education possibly is where it goes wrong. Getting everyone motivated to want to do something. 

At the end of the day, not everyone is going to go to university or get an apprenticeship in a trade etc. There are a numerous essential jobs in society which pay on or near minimum wage, which is a pittance and leaves many living in poverty struggling to support themselves and their families.

To me people in these jobs who are working hard just like anyone else should be able to lead a comfortable existence, as should those who are not able to work through no fault of their own. There is enough wealth in society to enable this but as evidenced by some in this thread and the popularity of the current government, there are too many selfish ***** lacking empathy.

You despise the poor? What a horrible, ignorant ^^^^ you are. 

What are you basing your opinions on, apologies if I've missed something and you have done in depth research on the subject. Doubt it though, you sound like an ignorant fool with a chip on your shoulder. 

Many families in Edinburgh are in 'working poverty'. People can still work but still be in poverty.

I had challenges in my childhood, times which we were certainly very close to the poverty line. I spent a bulk of my childhood living with my Dad as a single parent unfit to work. That was definitely the most challenging times. I learned from a young age not to expect much for birthdays and christmas. My family always did their best, and some years I did well which I was grateful for, but I never expected it. Probably explains now why I still don't really want or expect much at these times. I genuinely would've been happy when I was younger to have nothing on these days than a bit of extra food in the cupboard, or enjoy a nice takeaway meal etc. Even now, I'm the same. I never want much material, I just appreciate a bit of extra money in my pocket if people give me it.

I went to live full time with my mum when I was 11, and we certainly lived a more comfortable life, on the face of it. My mum always tried to hold down jobs as a single parent which she found tough, but once I was old enough to help babysit my brother, it made her life easier to go and work. We never had a lot of surplus cash at all, but she always made sure we were smartly dressed, clean, well fed etc. Looking back, I now know my mum in the tougher times spiralled herself into all kinds of credit card debts and stuff to afford these nice things for us. But that was how she was. She was prepared to part with the last of her wages, or delve deeper into debt if it meant that we had nice trainers to go to school in.

Once I turned 16 and went to college, my mum took a bit more of a hardline stance and drilled me into that mindset where I need to work if I want to have nice things. At the time I almost resented her for it, and left home just after my 17th birthday in a huff. Since then, I realise how right she was. I don't really regret moving out in some ways. I'm the most independent guy you could meet. I don't rely on my parents for a single thing, which at 26, makes me feel quite good about. 

2 hours ago, moogsy said:

At the end of the day, not everyone is going to go to university or get an apprenticeship in a trade etc. There are a numerous essential jobs in society which pay on or near minimum wage, which is a pittance and leaves many living in poverty struggling to support themselves and their families.

To me people in these jobs who are working hard just like anyone else should be able to lead a comfortable existence, as should those who are not able to work through no fault of their own. There is enough wealth in society to enable this but as evidenced by some in this thread and the popularity of the current government, there are too many selfish ***** lacking empathy.

:spoton: 

22 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

you misunderstand me

the biggest impact on educational outcomes is parental attitude.

EVen more so than a flashy education.

Of course your educational outcomes are only one part of it- connections made at school being another,

as is deportment, presentation, confidence- all of which the state sector struggle with.

Having been through state school myself (refused a scholarship for Fettes in a moment of madness!) my experience was that being clever was a real drawback, academic excellence made you a target, and people would rather drag you down than build you up.

Private school is the polar opposite- an ethos of success and aspiration.

This.

I kept my head down and worked hard at school (first in the family to go to university) and regularly got beaten-up for being a ‘swot’.

My parents were from humble backgrounds - especially my father and because of their circumstances both left school before they were 14.  They both really appreciated the benefits of education though and encouraged me all the way.

(A bit OT - but I was reading some of the letters my dad sent and received when he was in the army during the war.  The writing, writing style, spelling and grammar  were perfect - much better than mine.  This was from someone who left school at 13 to be an assistant gardener in a ‘Big House’.  I wonder if that concentration on the basics made a difference for that generation?)

I honestly suspect that we do not allow for the fact that there are numerous ways to be poor.  In my childhood there were areas that were known as "poor"areas. I found from my police days that they were not really poor the men often laborers, navvies were uneducated and as was the times paid accordingly.

Right here in Kelowna where I live now there are what are described as poor and homeless. Some are unfortunates due to mental problems, physical disabilities they are basically unemployable. The City just recently cleared a main street of tents used by the homeless. They resited them in two local parks, one is totally unused by them, too far from their sources of illegal drugs. They were told they had to be out of their tents by 9.00am and not to return until 7.00pm, there big questioin was what are we going to do all day. Try getting a f...ing job.

The City have now approved building of a  a 500 room unit for these persons. I am happy for the truly needy ones, but some of the others are being provided with a lounge type room where they will be provided safe clean facilities and equipment to use their drugs of choice. I don't use the h word if I can but I certainly don't love those opportunists.

If you believe some then coming from a poor background gives you advantages over coming from a rich one!

Who would have thought? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think it depends on ones definition of " poor" or " in poverty" ? 

The definition of poverty had now changed i think.  I was brought up in " poverty" as such.  Mum and dad buying essentials on HP at extortionate rates.  Vivid unpleasant memories of us being told to be  quiet when the debt men came to the door to collect their weekly payments if they were short that week. Horrible memories of freezing cold bedrooms and ice on the windows as we didn't have central heating. Just a coal fire in the living room which did heat the water. 

I used to wonder why i prefer savoury food compared to chocolate etc and this stems from my childhood.  I basically lived on a diet of bread and potatoes etc.  Chocolate etc was a luxury we never had. Bread ironically is one of my comfort foods now. 

However we were generally happy as we didn't know better. Most people were in the same boat.  I think nowadays its a matter of priorities with families in how they budget if they haven't got enough money. Some dont prioritises in the most sensible ways and therefore their children may suffer.  This is not an attack on the " poor". 

Its an observation from some of the families i have worked with who haven't budgeted effectively .  I just feel sorry that some people may settle for a life of " poverty" without the motivation to get out of it.  However I am aware its a difficult thing to do if you have parents who haven't worked and have no intention to. Its the cycle of deprivation.  I honestly do not believe there is the type of real poverty today than that of the 1960s 70s.  I recall getting my first job and the feeling , earning my own wage and going out to clubs etc. It created a sense if independence and allowed me to have a more comfortable life ( clothes . holidays etc. I recall a friend complaining about me having a better wage than me and I told him I have this " better " wage as I actually went to University to improve my life.  He seemed quite resentful.  I do believe there is definitely a poverty of opportunity now more than ever. Particularly in education and University if you are from a poorer background.

I always like the quote from Barbra Streisand of all people when asked about her childhood.  She stated " we weren't " poor " poor we just didn't have anything."...Similar to my upbringing. 

Edited by JamesM48
added more comment to it

20 hours ago, bobsharp said:

well done 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I think it depends on ones definition of " poor" or " in poverty" ? 

The definition of poverty had now changed i think.  I was brought up in " poverty" as such.  Mum and dad buying essentials on HP at extortionate rates.  Vivid unpleasant memories of us being told to be  quiet when the debt men came to the door to collect their weekly payments if they were short that week. Horrible memories of freezing cold bedrooms and ice on the windows as we didn't have central heating. Just a coal fire in the living room which did heat the water. 

However we were generally happy as we didn't know better. Most people were in the same boat.  I think nowadays its a matter of priorities with families in how they budget if they haven't got enough money. Some dont prioritises in the most sensible ways and therefore their children may suffer.  This is not an attack on the " poor". 

I always like the quote from Barbra Streisand of all people when asked about her childhood.  She stated " we weren't " poor " poor we just didn't have anything."...Similar to my upbringing. 

I wouldn't class that as poverty or even being poor, as that was a normal upbringing back in the 60's & 70's, remember many a time hiding behind the couch pretending we're not in, when the provy man came calling.  I'll bet there are several posters on here who did the same thing as a child.

Like everyone else, near about every possession we had was 2nd or even 3rd hand and what wasn't a hand me down was on tick (HP).

Had an older brother & cousins, so I usually got their clothes, it was the way it was done, you mended and patched things up, you made the most of everything, but that wasn't being poor, that was being normal.

But we never went hungry, we always managed to afford to buy at least one bag of coal for the fire, at least one room was warm, in winter the rest of the house was freezing and I can fully remember the icicles on the insides of the windows, no such thing as duvets back then either, layers of blankets had to do.

Never went on day-trips or holidays or anything like that, we couldn't afford it, but we always got presents at Christmas & Birthdays and we were always clean & tidy going to school.

However there were usually at least one or two families on every street who I would class as being poor, their kids did go hungry and cold, often only got a winter coat or even long trousers from the social or from a charity, the kids rarely ever got presents at Christmas unless from the Sally Army or some other charity.  I'm sure I remembered Bob mention that even the Police sometimes handed out clothes to the real poor families. That's poor, that's real poverty.

The majority of folks like my family were just a normal family, we didn't have much money, often barely two pennies to rub together, but some folks didn't even have that, they were the poor, we were just normal.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I wouldn't class that as poverty or even being poor, as that was a normal upbringing back in the 60's & 70's, remember many a time hiding behind the couch pretending we're not in, when the provy man came calling.  I'll bet there are several posters on here who did the same thing as a child.

Like everyone else, near about every possession we had was 2nd or even 3rd hand and what wasn't a hand me down was on tick (HP).

Had an older brother & cousins, so I usually got their clothes, it was the way it was done, you mended and patched things up, you made the most of everything, but that wasn't being poor, that was being normal.

But we never went hungry, we always managed to afford to buy at least one bag of coal for the fire, at least one room was warm, in winter the rest of the house was freezing and I can fully remember the icicles on the insides of the windows, no such thing as duvets back then either, layers of blankets had to do.

Never went on day-trips or holidays or anything like that, we couldn't afford it, but we always got presents at Christmas & Birthdays and we were always clean & tidy going to school.

However there were usually at least one or two families on every street who I would class as being poor, their kids did go hungry and cold, often only got a winter coat or even long trousers from the social or from a charity, the kids rarely ever got presents at Christmas unless from the Sally Army or some other charity.  I'm sure I remembered Bob mention that even the Police sometimes handed out clothes to the real poor families. That's poor, that's real poverty.

The majority of folks like my family were just a normal family, we didn't have much money, often barely two pennies to rub together, but some folks didn't even have that, they were the poor, we were just normal.Pol

The Police Aided Clothing Scheme,the basic purpose was to ensure that no child would have to miss school because of lack of c lothing or footwear. I remember kids I went to school with at Preston Street who had the clothes and boots, later in life as a policeman I attended homes where applications had been made, we asked about thir income, studied the home and made a deision accordingly. I remember one female of a well known Niddrie family applying, her house wasw immaculate and prety well furnished, I never figured out if she just wanted something for nothing or was just being an annoyance to the local beat man. She got no shoes from me, and nothing else she may have been looking for.

Craig Gordons Gloves

This **** the poor attitude displayed on this thread is sickening.  The whole - i grew up poor and now i'm not is great - but the definition of poor/in poverty is very different.  I grew up in the 70s and 80s and while we were never in poverty the cost of living and cost of housing etc was very different to now.  It's a real shame that people have openly admitted to despising the poor.  What kind of society have we become where people look down on those less fortunate than ourselves and criticise them.  The program that the OP was talking about was featuring kids who don't eat 3 meals a day, who know they rely on handouts and yet some on here think that's a reason to despise them.  You know what, if you did grow up poor and worked hard to provide for yourself and your family then well done, but thinking that means you can look down on those that were in your parents situation is pretty shite tbh. 

On 03/12/2019 at 09:44, John Findlay said:

It is all relative.

Was brought up mainly by my dad, my mum was an alcoholic and took her frustrations out on me.

Dad instilled into me that good old fashioned Scottish work ethic(long gone now in most schemes), left school at 16 after sitting 7 o grades in 1979. Apart from 3 months out of work between July 2005, when IBM laid me off, and Nov 2005 when I started work for Scotrail and btw IBM was 35,000-40,000pa. The job at Scotrail at the time was 14,000pa. I wanted to work.so ive worked almost all my adult life. 

I thought I was poor growing up in Royston, West Pilton and for nearly a year Gracemount. Until I visited places like Pakistan, Egypt, Carribean islands etc. So called poverty here is nothing compared to those places. I live now on West Granton Road just around from Royston Mains Road. Every day I see the wasters(yes they are wasters) the world owes me a living but there is no chance I'm going to work for it. These people had the same choices as me. THEY CHOSE NOT TO MAKE THE RIGHT ONES, NO ONE ELSE THEMSELVES. 

I hear them saying. The foreigners have taking our jobs. No they didnt. You didnt go for the jobs in the first place.

Its everyone else's fault bar their own. Mentality that is now into 3rd and 4th generations and it's a mentality that is not going to be broken anytime soon.

When I get accused of having a I'm alright jack attitude. I will smile to myself they have no idea what they are talking about. Because I've worked hard damn hard that has put my two eldest through university. Working hard and bettering yourself has become a crime to many nowadays. In all honesty I really dont give a **** if that's your opinion.

Excellent post. 

Placid Casual
7 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

This **** the poor attitude displayed on this thread is sickening.  The whole - i grew up poor and now i'm not is great - but the definition of poor/in poverty is very different.  I grew up in the 70s and 80s and while we were never in poverty the cost of living and cost of housing etc was very different to now.  It's a real shame that people have openly admitted to despising the poor.  What kind of society have we become where people look down on those less fortunate than ourselves and criticise them.  The program that the OP was talking about was featuring kids who don't eat 3 meals a day, who know they rely on handouts and yet some on here think that's a reason to despise them.  You know what, if you did grow up poor and worked hard to provide for yourself and your family then well done, but thinking that means you can look down on those that were in your parents situation is pretty shite tbh. 

Excellent post.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

The Police Aided Clothing Scheme,the basic purpose was to ensure that no child would have to miss school because of lack of c lothing or footwear. I remember kids I went to school with at Preston Street who had the clothes and boots, later in life as a policeman I attended homes where applications had been made, we asked about thir income, studied the home and made a deision accordingly. I remember one female of a well known Niddrie family applying, her house wasw immaculate and prety well furnished, I never figured out if she just wanted something for nothing or was just being an annoyance to the local beat man. She got no shoes from me, and nothing else she may have been looking for.

I had thought I'd read you mention something about the police handing out clothes on occasions.  Cheers 👍

Dagger Is Back
On 03/12/2019 at 11:04, Cade said:

Circumstances are very different now than when the "I'm alright jack" crowd grew up.

"Work hard" isn't enough any more as there are untold thousands of people in the UK who have a full time job but are still struggling due to the unregulated rental market, utilities cartels and the cost of commuting (especially via train) all combing to ensure that almost every penny earned is handed straight over at the end of every month.

Many families are one small event away from needing to visit a foodbank.

If your oven or fridge breaks down, it's something that has to be replaced right away and this pushes them into debt which takes months to pay off.

I grew up relatively poor, growing veg in the back green, going to school with fried potato peelings for a break time snack, never going further than 50 mils away on holiday and even then it was in a caravan borrowed from a family friend. 

But despite these hardships, my parents were actually able to save some money at the end of the month and finally managed to put a deposit down on a house and escaped the rent trap.

In 2019 families with two working parents are still not able to put enough away to save for a deposit due to the housing bubble putting up the cost of a deposit faster than they can save and rising rents meaning they have less they can save each month.

People are trapped forever in a cycle of poverty and just because you remember how you managed to escape it 30-40 years ago does not mean the same escape routes are open today.

Take a frigging bow especially try not about many families being one step away.

A local Foodbank tells the story of the self employed painter and decorator who fell of his ladder and broke his leg 

They lived hand to mouth up till then. Teachers dragged Mum and her kids up to the Foodbank when they realised what had happened and they weren’t eating

When the subject of poor comes up I often think of a boy in my class at Preston Street School. His name was Reid, we all had a certain level of sympathy with him, he had what in those days we referred to as a snottery nose. His usual action having no hankie, and Kleenex still not being something we were aware of used the sleeve of his jacket, shirt or jumper to control the flow. One teacher was particularly affected by this situation and used to order him to go to the waste basket and use some of the scrap paper to wipe his nose, this elicited by us primarily nausea, but followed with a deep sympathy for his situation.

His clothes also were subject to one boy telling him at one time Reidy your jersey is holier than the Bible.

There was only one likely cause to all this it was poverty/poor.

19 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Would u rather the house was manky ?  Evidenced her abilty to keep things clean. She could still have been skint despite having  a " pretty well furnished " house. 

19 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Well said. 

41 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Would u rath

45 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Would u rather the house was manky ?  Evidenced her abilty to keep things clean. She could still have been skint despite having  a " pretty well furnished " house. 

Without going into too much detail she was an active member of a family who were in the appropriation business, that is they were known to appropriate property for which they had no right of ownership. She as well as most of her family were regular  clients of the White House pub.  The house was well furnished and clean, it would seem there was a healthy income the clean was actually a left handed                                                                                                                          

ded compliment to the woman. Having done many of these applications sad and all as it is to say, immaculate and well furnished was a very unusual visual for these homes being processed.

21 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

absolutely nailed it,

21 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

I have not claimed to ever being poor, never was. As a child I experienced poverty regularly with boys from school with whom I became friends. They dressed in the charity type clothing, they got free dinners at school, and they were offered none of the benefits I had. Never in my life have I disparaged anyone for poverty, as a young policeman I encountered even more extreme cases.  I always had a feeling of empathy for the persons, and I admit to having some adversity to the supposedly responsible member of the family who enjoyed his cigarettes, and beer to the detriment of the others.  I have told the story before about the suicide I investigated in Niddrie where a woman tired of her husband getting his pay packet and going to the pub and spending most of it, causing serious need to her and the children. Friday night he came home from the pub at a regular time, she decided she would try to scare him straight by being found with her head in the oven with the gas on, a few minutes would do no harm. He of course as one would expect changed his routine and his wife died. A neighbour related the relevant story which she and the victim had discussed.

The point made in this thread that many recovered from a poverty related upbringing by getting a trade, education or good job and making it a purpose not to have their family experience what they had. One had to give them full credit and admiration.

Bridge of Djoum
On 03/12/2019 at 02:33, Herbert said:

I'd fancy you are self-loathing, too. You've across as crushingly bitter and offensive.

Regards your comments on ''hard work'' That will only get you so far. It needs to be aligned with ambition, goals, luck, knowing the right people. So many factors. 

On 04/12/2019 at 10:11, moogsy said:

Exactly.

42 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I'd fancy you are self-loathing, too. You've across as crushingly bitter and offensive.

Regards your comments on ''hard work'' That will only get you so far. It needs to be aligned with ambition, goals, luck, knowing the right people. So many factors. 

I agree, but would add that intelligence and ability are also key factors in a successful career, but are not ones that everyone possesses. Even if someone doesn't, being a bit thick and inept are not just causes for anyone to despise them (unless they are in a position and pay-grade greater than yours!  :wink:  ).

52 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

well said. foul statement from him

31 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Absolutely, same as education.

How many of us know someone who has had a good education and fantastic opportunities laid at their feet and they end up a waster, sometimes because they can't be arsed, can't be bothered, then on the flip side, the folks no matter how hard they work or try, just never ever seem to get a break, stumbling from one crisis to another and often not of their own making either.

I think a lot, not all, but a lot comes down to the individual, circumstance and just plain good old fashioned luck, being in the right place at the right time, of making the right decsion at the right time, of course knowing the right people never does any harm.

Craig Gordons Gloves
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

I have not claimed to ever being poor, never was. As a child I experienced poverty regularly with boys from school with whom I became friends. They dressed in the charity type clothing, they got free dinners at school, and they were offered none of the benefits I had. Never in my life have I disparaged anyone for poverty, as a young policeman I encountered even more extreme cases.  I always had a feeling of empathy for the persons, and I admit to having some adversity to the supposedly responsible member of the family who enjoyed his cigarettes, and beer to the detriment of the others.  I have told the story before about the suicide I investigated in Niddrie where a woman tired of her husband getting his pay packet and going to the pub and spending most of it, causing serious need to her and the children. Friday night he came home from the pub at a regular time, she decided she would try to scare him straight by being found with her head in the oven with the gas on, a few minutes would do no harm. He of course as one would expect changed his routine and his wife died. A neighbour related the relevant story which she and the victim had discussed.

The point made in this thread that many recovered from a poverty related upbringing by getting a trade, education or good job and making it a purpose not to have their family experience what they had. One had to give them full credit and admiration.

Just to be clear Bob - i wasn't referring to any of your posts.  As with all your posts, they're insightful and i appreciate them. I didn't read you disparage anyone, you don't - except DT obviously :)

46 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

well said. foul statement from him

I agree.

Plus, unless I’m reading it wrongly (don’t think I am), the post implies that ‘poor’ people are ‘scum’.

Some attitude!

1 hour ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Just to be clear Bob - i wasn't referring to any of your posts.  As with all your posts, they're insightful and i appreciate them. I didn't read you disparage anyone, you don't - except DT obviously :)

I didn't think you had I was just spouting/slavering as usual. 😁

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

I agree.

Plus, unless I’m reading it wrongly (don’t think I am), the post implies that ‘poor’ people are ‘scum’.

Some attitude!

This thread is just a mixture of people looking to shock and offend (Herbert)

and others just wanting to blowhard (The John Findlay's of this thread)about how well they have done.

Quite depressing really.

For myself I am neither rich nor poor but consider myself lucky that I have managed to stay employed, avoided redundancy, marriage break ups ,bad health and any of the other bad breaks in life that cause poverty. That doesn't give me the right to look down my nose at folk who have not been so lucky.

FWIW  I spent the last five years of my working life employed by DWP in the Social Fund dept and witnessed first hand people suffering from real poverty. It gave me a fresh outlook on life and made me count my blessings.

rudi must stay

I was in the middle and I think that's a good way to be. I have my limits money wise

Rich kids are from my experience spoilt rotten and sometimes bad people for it. They are also entitled and believe they are somehow special and can actually be quite mental people who are bad news waiting to happen if you get to know them well.

Just my take on things. I do think being poor growing up can make people better people but I guess it can also give someone an ego..

Shooter McGavin

People need to realise that nowadays, this idea that people using food banks are just “lazy scroungers” etc, is just plain wrong.

Many are people who work but due to the cost of living increasing and minimum wage & zero contracts being the state they are, can’t afford to pay for food. 

Another thing, If you are seriously looking down upon the children living in poverty, like in the programme, and it isn’t turning your stomach, then you are a genuine psychopath. 

Be grateful you were not born into that circumstance. 

Being poor? I realised at quite an early age, I was never going to be a millionaire.

2 people I know from school days are. 1 a self serving sneaky thief, back in the day, the other had polio, this was the early '60's, callipers in primary school, yet later in primary, he was raising money for the WWF. Sat his biology O level in Saughton prison. 

Being poor, isn't always about money, in marrying my dad, my mother stepped away from financial wealth. 

13 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

👏

On 03/12/2019 at 13:07, Jamboelite said:

I think you dont have a clue what you are talking about, there are families working there arse off on zero hour contracts for pittance trying to manage high rents, increase cost of food, gas, childcare and electricity.

There are people starving themselves to make sure their kids get fed.

This attitude of people just being lazy cause they cant get out of poverty is ****ing sickening and typical of a selfish “im alright jack” attitude which seems to be much more prevalent these days.

Not all in poverty “have the latest tech” **** sake.

Tell me how you manage £5 to get your shopping in for your family ? 

Well said mate!!!! :clap: 

The Mighty Thor

This is the reality for a lot of people, like the kids on the documentary, where Christmas dinner will be from a parcel like the below.

If you can help your local food bank or Big Hearts or however you help others less fortunate then I salute each and every one of you. 👍

received_542767269640002.jpeg

I scratch my head in disbelief when stats of 1 in 4 or 1 in 6 kids in the lothians are in poverty are used as I don't seem to recognise that, but I probably live in a bubble.

There seems to be many different definitions of poverty depending on the study. Going by below 60% of median wage this works out at:

From latest figures (2015-18) a family is considered as in poverty if they are living on:

• Less than £363 a week or £18,900 a year for a single person with children aged five and 14
  • Less than £463 or £24,100 a year for a couple with children aged five and 14

https://cpag.org.uk/scotland/child-poverty/facts

By this measure this means that for most of my son's early life he was living in poverty. We were skint but I never considered of us being in poverty!

Decisions like cycling to work rather than take the bus, as the cost of the bus fare was needed for food, were the norm.

Maybe having grown up in the 80's where school dinner tickets and hand me down clothes, toys and bikes were the norm and where there were still kids clearly worse off the you set my personal barometer as to what poverty is.

Scnorthedinburgh
5 hours ago, Super T said:

I scratch my head in disbelief when stats of 1 in 4 or 1 in 6 kids in the lothians are in poverty are used as I don't seem to recognise that, but I probably live in a bubble.

There seems to be many different definitions of poverty depending on the study. Going by below 60% of median wage this works out at:

From latest figures (2015-18) a family is considered as in poverty if they are living on:

• Less than £363 a week or £18,900 a year for a single person with children aged five and 14
  • Less than £463 or £24,100 a year for a couple with children aged five and 14

https://cpag.org.uk/scotland/child-poverty/facts

By this measure this means that for most of my son's early life he was living in poverty. We were skint but I never considered of us being in poverty!

Decisions like cycling to work rather than take the bus, as the cost of the bus fare was needed for food, were the norm.

Maybe having grown up in the 80's where school dinner tickets and hand me down clothes, toys and bikes were the norm and where there were still kids clearly worse off the you set my personal barometer as to what poverty is.

Raised in pilton, 3 adults 2 kids in a two bedroom house during the poll tax. Parents worked but never thought I was poor?

Got a job left pilton and hen looking back, Christ there are poor people there, I am not wealthy but far better off than them.

When there are poor below the working class, with people worse than that.. the most hard nosed need to notice.

When you live in a top ten country of wealth poverty is relative.

Yet for al that wealth homeless children has been on the increase in Scotland and the UK.

The thing about poverty is what it can do to your spirit.

Blessed are the poor in spirit.