Jump to content
Glottis

Over reaction/ double standard about time between managers

Recommended Posts

Glottis

Is it just me or is there a ridiculous over reaction the the amount of time taken by the club to appoint a new manager?

Austin was made caretaker manager until an actual manager was appointed- this is common in football.

 

I expect some fans to lose their shit about this, (many will lose this shit over the slightest things) but the media and in particular supposed Hearts-friendly media have went into overdrive.

 

Graeme Murty has been Rangers' caretaker manager twice (for a month after Warburton, then two months after Caixinha before being formally made manager),

At any point did the media lose their shit over this? I don't remember it.

 

Would I prefer a new manager quickly? Yes, but having a caretaker is nothing new in football

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jambo mark

Correct. 
 

The narrative has been Ann Budge is clueless, lacks confidence in her our decision making and therefore is dithering about. 
 

My suspicion is that once this deal is over the line, we’ll once again have our eyes opened to how diligent, driven, and single minded she has been to bring in our new manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheStig

Having a shite caretaker can be very damaging however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Newton51

It would normally be ok but the fact it took so long to sack levein and the recent results have put us in a real crisis. New manager needs to hit the ground running 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Italian Lambretta

We can't have someone who continually advocates communication and then abandons that same principal when it suits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graygo
1 minute ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We can't have someone who continually advocates communication and then abandons that same principal when it suits. 

 

She was absolutely correct to keep quiet about this deal until signed, in fact as far as I'm aware she still hasn't said anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
karipidis

My issue was the 2 weeks we wasted interviewing people who should be getting interviews. If we had gone for Stendel from the outset he would be in by now (going on the basis he is on his way), and would have had the team better prepared for Ibrox and ready for Wednesday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAndrew
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

 

She was absolutely correct to keep quiet about this deal until signed, in fact as far as I'm aware she still hasn't said anything.

 

Totally agree. And as I would expect of her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
9 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We can't have someone who continually advocates communication and then abandons that same principal when it suits. 

Even when things in recruitment/HR generally have to be confidential?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deejtee

We can judge this later in the season if her appointment arrives and turns things around enough to give us some fun as fans. I would imagine more leeway would have existed if so much time was not wasted on Cathro and Levein do you not think? Anyway proof of the pudding etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Budge said she gave Levein the first round of games. You'd think she would have had someone in mind to take over assuming Levein was going to continue failing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Italian Lambretta
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Even when things in recruitment/HR generally have to be confidential?

Dave there has been nothing from the club for nearly 5 weeks which has led to  frustration by the fans. She could have kept to the life blood of the club up to date with the ongoing process without given to much away. Thats all people wanted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cut The Crap

The 13 goals conceded in our caretaker manager’s four games probably contributed to the feeling of unease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
15 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We can't have someone who continually advocates communication and then abandons that same principal when it suits. 

 

 

Load of shite. 

 

Hr, recruiting, contracts are different. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NaturalOrder74

I think going on how much of an absolute **** up the last appointment was after taking so long there’s no wonder people are frustrated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
2 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Budge said she gave Levein the first round of games. You'd think she would have had someone in mind to take over assuming Levein was going to continue failing.

 

 

She Likley did, Stendals contract with Barnsley was only ended a week ago. 

 

Really don't know how folk can overlook this point amongst all this and use sense. 

 

 

(assuming Stendel is our man, ofc) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hungry hippo
18 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We can't have someone who continually advocates communication and then abandons that same principal when it suits. 

 

What did you want her to say other than "we're working on it" which was blatantly obvious.

 

You could never come out and say any specifics I  case talks collapse and you need to revert to a second or third choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Dave there has been nothing from the club for nearly 5 weeks which has led to  frustration by the fans. She could have kept to the life blood of the club up to date with the ongoing process without given to much away. Thats all people wanted. 

Possibly. I think this is ikely to have been the toughest four weeks ( and more ) in her role at Hearts and possibly the toughest ever in her career.
 

IT doesn’t quite get you the same public focus and reaction. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
11 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

The 13 goals conceded in our caretaker manager’s four games probably contributed to the feeling of unease.

Just a bit. 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weakened Offender
33 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We can't have someone who continually advocates communication and then abandons that same principal when it suits. 

 

Blah blah blah. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnthomas
30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Even when things in recruitment/HR generally have to be confidential?

Wouldn't matter what she does . Say nothing media , posters on here etc just make things up . Sometimes called 'widely reported' !

Come out with regular statements which would get shredded by the BBC brains trust ?

Supposing we targeted Stendel early in the process . Interviewed others , obviously no guarantees with Stendel .

Finally settled his contract business with Barnsley a week ago .

Have spent a week negotiating contracts . Stendels team ? Coaches being sacked etc 

Imo a perfectly reasonable scenario .

Yet what do we read on here , in the sun , hear on the radio ?

None of the above may be true but more likely than most of the crap being widely reported

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peebo

I’d suggest that having a caretaker who ****s off with another team for a week and a half is probably unusual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jambotony
9 hours ago, karipidis said:

My issue was the 2 weeks we wasted interviewing people who should be getting interviews. If we had gone for Stendel from the outset he would be in by now (going on the basis he is on his way), and would have had the team better prepared for Ibrox and ready for Wednesday. 

How do you know we didn’t enquire about Stendel in the beginning and the following 2 weeks of interviews were plan B? Very rarely do you appoint the first candidate in any interview process.. you interview everyone you think is suited then invite those back for a second interview, sometimes more and you appoint the best candidate you think! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fozzyonthefence
9 hours ago, jambo mark said:

My suspicion is that once this deal is over the line, we’ll once again have our eyes opened to how diligent, driven, and single minded she has been to bring in our new manager. 


😂😂😂Just like when she appointed Levein you mean?  That was a really professional process and worked out well didn’t it? She can’t afford to **** it up 3 times in a row after the Cathro and Levein debacles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, jambotony said:

How do you know we didn’t enquire about Stendel in the beginning and the following 2 weeks of interviews were plan B? Very rarely do you appoint the first candidate in any interview process.. you interview everyone you think is suited then invite those back for a second interview, sometimes more and you appoint the best candidate you think! 


I think the point is why didn’t we just go for our target if Stendel was that man?  Why fannny about interviewing other people?  I don’t think it’s normal to invite applications when you already know your man (look at Spurs).

 

I don’t for a second believe there was a plan A never mind a plan B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rudy T

Mikey Stewart, Gary MacKay & Alan Preston hate Levein and for as long as he’s at Hearts they will find an angle to have a go at Ann Budge and the club, the current narrative is too implicate his presence at the club as the reason for the delay. Which is clearly bull shit.

 

Willie Miller hates Hearts always has and will use any made up shite to have a pop at us!

 

The papers need a story, Celtic and Rangers are pissing the league so that’s not news, so it’s open season on us.

 

I heard them say last night they know nothing about Stendal but it’s fashionable to have a German coach, advocate Jack Ross as the perfect candidate only for Tom English to piss on their chips... so cornered on that one it was back to Levein bashing.

 

Make no mistake they are desperate for Stendal to fail so they can get stuck into Budge and keep the Levein ruined the club story going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Treasurer

I know people are frustrated and want to hear what is happening but I prefer the club to do their business in private rather than through the media, whether it's a new manager, a new player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rudy T
4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:


I think the point is why didn’t we just go for our target if Stendel was that man?  Why fannny about interviewing other people?  I don’t think it’s normal to invite applications when you already know your man (look at Spurs).

 

I don’t for a second believe there was a plan A never mind a plan B.

 

So they spend 4 weeks going after their man it’s falls through... then what?? Instead they took the time to interview available guys so if Stendal fails they can go back to those guys and get someone in ASAP. That sounds like a plan a and b to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
E6 Inc

I think the issue is we've know Levein may/could/should have been sacked since about March. The lack of succession planning has been absolutely woeful.

 

Normally when a manager is hired by another club it takes you a while to replace them. But if you've known for 6 months that his time could be up then you should have been planning for it better.

 

Looks like we have our right man now so let's move on from the bitching and get behind Stendel, Budge and all the players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FTH
9 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Budge said she gave Levein the first round of games. You'd think she would have had someone in mind to take over assuming Levein was going to continue failing.

 

As she has stated she doesn't have the football knowledge she could've asked her board level "Football expert" (our DoF) to start identifying potential candidates to replace our failing manager in advance of relieving him from his duties...oh wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Deevers

I always thought that this would take time to complete. Glad that we have taken the time to identify the right man and gone about things in a professional and methodical manner. It's been crucial that this appointment was 100% the right one and not a knee jerk reaction to the clamour for change. Let's get behind the team now and focus on getting us up the table to where we should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thewiseone

Talk is cheap. Every other day you have one of the players or management/ coaching staff talking nonsense through the tabloids, further disconnecting an already alienated support. It's of no value and can even be construed as damaging and weakening.

She gave a clear message at the start of the length of time she required and has proceeded in that manner, keeping these things in house merely strengthens her own personal resolve. 

The first time in a long time I've seen or become aware of anyone at the club doing things in a smart way, absolutely the correct way to conduct things.The stronger she feels, the stronger the team become- simple really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Mikey Stewart, Gary MacKay & Alan Preston hate Levein and for as long as he’s at Hearts they will find an angle to have a go at Ann Budge and the club, the current narrative is too implicate his presence at the club as the reason for the delay. Which is clearly bull shit.

 

Willie Miller hates Hearts always has and will use any made up shite to have a pop at us!

 

The papers need a story, Celtic and Rangers are pissing the league so that’s not news, so it’s open season on us.

 

I heard them say last night they know nothing about Stendal but it’s fashionable to have a German coach, advocate Jack Ross as the perfect candidate only for Tom English to piss on their chips... so cornered on that one it was back to Levein bashing.

 

Make no mistake they are desperate for Stendal to fail so they can get stuck into Budge and keep the Levein ruined the club story going.

 

Spot on. Scottish football is one big clique,    anyone who doesn’t tow the line and desperate to be one of the lads is cast aside and turned on. It’s schoolboy stuff.

 

Embarrassing that it goes all the way to the broadcasters. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luckydug
10 hours ago, karipidis said:

My issue was the 2 weeks we wasted interviewing people who should be getting interviews. If we had gone for Stendel from the outset he would be in by now (going on the basis he is on his way), and would have had the team better prepared for Ibrox and ready for Wednesday. 

Not necessarily Stendel had to negotiate his release from Barnsley. 

Are you suggesting we should not have interviewed other applicants who we may well have had to hire if the DS deal fell through. 

If we had went straight to DS and it fell through we would have had to start over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holyrood_Hearts

I was pretty critical of the club’s handling of this & I’m happy to stand by everything I said.

 

As others have mentioned, if the results since CL leaving had been better, there wouldn’t have been as much criticism from the media & fans towards the club taking their time with the appointment. Letting AM take the semi final & 3 league games was an error. 

 

I’m just delighted/relieved the Stendel deal is almost there. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAl
11 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We can't have someone who continually advocates communication and then abandons that same principal when it suits. 

Firstly I suppose you mean "principle" and secondly why does she need to communicate with you?  Many companies do such business privately.  If she she had mentioned Stendel a few weeks ago she would have been criticised by you and your ilk for spouting before the deal had crossed the line.  Chill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1874robbo
37 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

I was pretty critical of the club’s handling of this & I’m happy to stand by everything I said.

 

As others have mentioned, if the results since CL leaving had been better, there wouldn’t have been as much criticism from the media & fans towards the club taking their time with the appointment. Letting AM take the semi final & 3 league games was an error. 

 

I’m just delighted/relieved the Stendel deal is almost there. 

 

Let’s be honest here, if our results had been better you can bet your bottom dollar that Macphee would have got the gig.

him being so shit was a headache for Ann and the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WageThief
1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

Let’s be honest here, if our results had been better you can bet your bottom dollar that Macphee would have got the gig.

him being so shit was a headache for Ann and the board.

 

When you say "let's be speculative" are you honest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1874robbo
2 minutes ago, WageThief said:

 

When you say "let's be speculative" are you honest?

Always honest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jock _turd
12 hours ago, Glottis said:

Is it just me or is there a ridiculous over reaction the the amount of time taken by the club to appoint a new manager?

Austin was made caretaker manager until an actual manager was appointed- this is common in football.

 

I expect some fans to lose their shit about this, (many will lose this shit over the slightest things) but the media and in particular supposed Hearts-friendly media have went into overdrive.

 

Graeme Murty has been Rangers' caretaker manager twice (for a month after Warburton, then two months after Caixinha before being formally made manager),

At any point did the media lose their shit over this? I don't remember it.

 

Would I prefer a new manager quickly? Yes, but having a caretaker is nothing new in football

 

This in spades !

You know what bud you highlight just how many of the posters on here are nothing more than sensationalist drama queens. WE are fighting relegation dontchano! 19 games until the split and were fighting relegation! I would be the first to say I am not delighted with our situation but to say we are fighting relegation is just so much shite its no real. Had there been two game to the split and we were where we are I would be worried BUT if the new manager is given resources and does not get us up the table we have hired the wrong man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nookie Bear
11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Possibly. I think this is ikely to have been the toughest four weeks ( and more ) in her role at Hearts and possibly the toughest ever in her career.
 

IT doesn’t quite get you the same public focus and reaction. 😎


Time to phone Interflora? 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:


Time to phone Interflora? 😏

Serenato flowers iirc. Great idea by Beats. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff Kilpatrick
11 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

The 13 goals conceded in our caretaker manager’s four games probably contributed to the feeling of unease.

4 out of 5, 6, 7, 8....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff Kilpatrick
19 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Let’s be honest here, if our results had been better you can bet your bottom dollar that Macphee would have got the gig.

him being so shit was a headache for Ann and the board.

Correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAl
1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Let’s be honest here, if our results had been better you can bet your bottom dollar that Macphee would have got the gig.

him being so shit was a headache for Ann and the board.

Even if she said she wanted an experienced manager?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noah Claypole

Heart's supporters acting like grizzly wee babies.

 

It's not a new thing. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1874robbo
13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Even if she said she wanted an experienced manager?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bauld

If we were sitting 5th and had hit a bad run, decided change was needed so sacked Levein and started hunting for a new manager. No big deal.

 

 

This has been coming for months. We are joint bottom of the league. 

 

We need immediate reactions to get this season back on track and get us firing again.

 

Heading for 6 weeks and **** all happening is

not good enough for the situation we find ourselves in. We should have been totally prepared to move the moment Levein was shown the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAl
1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

Yes

Only your biased beliefs would allow you to come to that conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bunny Munro

The complete horseshit served up at Hampden, Ibrox and Rugby Park made it look a lot worse. 

 

As did Hibs sacking Heckingbottom after we sacked CL, replacing him quickly, and going on a wee run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...