Sporting Director

JamboAl

14 hours ago, luckydug said:

Austin has all the attributes needed for the SD role.

He has loads of contacts in the game and has been responsible in bringing most of our better players to the club.

It would be a mistake to judge him on his results as an Interim manager as SD is a totally different role. 

He wouldn't be taking the training or have any say in match preperation  so any of the  rumoured issues with the players wouldn't occur.

Ok so apart from Michael O'Neill who are all these contacts he has?

He has been around the club during the torrid times of both Cathro and Levein and yet for some reason you seem to ignore that.

Have you not witnessed the conversations between McPhee and Levein on the touchline pondering what dreadful decision to make next?

If he wasn't taking training then what the hell was he doing having a cup of tea with Craig and Ann dicsussing the next four year deal to give to some nonentity?

Waken up for goodness sake. I sincerely hope that AB does not give this role to AM or else it is just about as bad as her CL appointment.

For me he has shown while in temporary charge of the team his inability to motivate a team where he has sole charge of them and can put out a team to try and win games and get the fans support and he has failed to do that.

That for me shows a lack of knowledge about the game here and the type of players required and style of play to win games and why he should not be our new Sporting Director.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Cruyff Turn

• We_are_the_Hearts

• wavydavy

rudi must stay

I'd give it to McPhee. I think he has good knowledge in that aside of things (contacts, stats etc) he could be a very good choice

This is from his latest press conference, where he does a good job in my opinion. Very likeable man who has a good enthusiasm for the game, 

What's likely to happen with our Head of Recruitment, "Teflon" John Murray who amazingly and as usual  has managed to avoid being mentioned at all in this latest upheaval? 

27 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Ok so apart from Michael O'Neill who are all these contacts he has?

He has been around the club during the torrid times of both Cathro and Levein and yet for some reason you seem to ignore that.

Have you not witnessed the conversations between McPhee and Levein on the touchline pondering what dreadful decision to make next?

If he wasn't taking training then what the hell was he doing having a cup of tea with Craig and Ann dicsussing the next four year deal to give to some nonentity?

Waken up for goodness sake. I sincerely hope that AB does not give this role to AM or else it is just about as bad as her CL appointment.

For me he has shown while in temporary charge of the team his inability to motivate a team where he has sole charge of them and can put out a team to try and win games and get the fans support and he has failed to do that.

That for me shows a lack of knowledge about the game here and the type of players required and style of play to win games and why he should not be our new Sporting Director.

Who would you recommend for SD?

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

What's likely to happen with our Head of Recruitment, "Teflon" John Murray who amazingly and as usual  has managed to avoid being mentioned at all in this latest upheaval? 

Aye exactly, JohnB! The mans position is that of an enigma. All the dross brought in on his watch, has he ever been held to account?

I respectfully disagree with those who advocate for any of the senior figures who have contributed to this crisis to stay on.  I don't see evidence that any of them have done well.

If MacPhee gets that SD role it means that both he and levein are still in the building and will still have influence.

I think that's wrong.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

I respectfully disagree with those who advocate for any of the senior figures who have contributed to this crisis to stay on.  I don't see evidence that any of them have done well.

If MacPhee gets that SD role it means that both he and levein are still in the building and will still have influence.

I think that's wrong.

I’m pretty sure you wanted macphee to get the head coach job Doug or am I mistaken?

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

I’m pretty sure you wanted macphee to get the head coach job Doug or am I mistaken?

Honestly, after this saga I just can't remember.  I wanted levein sacked after the Livvy disaster but was then much better disposed to him after the Cup Final performance.

I suspect , like many on here, I have been all over the place.  In recent times however I believe that a clean sweep is necessary.  We've had too many disappointments for too long with the incumbents.

26 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Honestly, after this saga I just can't remember.  I wanted levein sacked after the Livvy disaster but was then much better disposed to him after the Cup Final performance.

I suspect , like many on here, I have been all over the place.  In recent times however I believe that a clean sweep is necessary.  We've had too many disappointments for too long with the incumbents.

Hear hear 

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Who would you recommend for SD?

Someone who has been around the game with lots of experience and contacts such as Alan Irvine who I believe has the backing of  Steven Naismith.

I saw this morning that McPhee is now the bookies favourite to replace O'Neill according to a Belfast newspaper.

Hopefully this is true and he accepts the post.

40 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Someone who has been around the game with lots of experience and contacts such as Alan Irvine who I believe has the backing of  Steven Naismith.

I saw this morning that McPhee is now the bookies favourite to replace O'Neill according to a Belfast newspaper.

Hopefully this is true and he accepts the post.

I think he could be a good choice.  Wide coaching/managerial experience who I imagine will have numerous contacts.

I too would like to see McPhee out of the door.  I don't think it is fair on any new manager to have the previous regime hovering around as, like it or not, they will have some affinity with the players and there is always the possibility the new man could be getting undermined.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I think he could be a good choice.  Wide coaching/managerial experience who I imagine will have numerous contacts.

I too would like to see McPhee out of the door.  I don't think it is fair on any new manager to have the previous regime hovering around as, like it or not, they will have some affinity with the players and there is always the possibility the new man could be getting undermined.

You may be surprised Al but I totally agree with you.😍

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You may be surprised Al but I totally agree with you.😍

Nah Davy - you occasionally get something right. 😍

24 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

If McPhee wanted the manager's job he will see the writing on the wall with the Stendel situation and realise that at best he could only be 2nd choice or a handy fall-back.

If I were him I would take the NI job if offered.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I'd give it to McPhee. I think he has good knowledge in that aside of things (contacts, stats etc) he could be a very good choice

This is from his latest press conference, where he does a good job in my opinion. Very likeable man who has a good enthusiasm for the game, 

:rofl:

HE SPOKE WELL AT A PRESS CONFERENCE

His record at Hearts speaks for itself. Woeful and utterly deserving of the heave ho.

44 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If McPhee wanted the manager's job he will see the writing on the wall with the Stendel situation and realise that at best he could only be 2nd choice or a handy fall-back.

If I were him I would take the NI job if offered.

McPhee was never getting the manager's job,several in front of him I beleive.

1 minute ago, ford donald said:

McPhee was never getting the manager's job,several in front of him I beleive.

I said IF he wanted the manager's job....

10 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

likeable but useless

Craig Levein, Austin MacPhee and all his coaches need to be purged from Tynecastle. It’s a complete joke that Levein is still there and MacPhee is even being spoken about as SD. Just get them to feck.

6 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Craig Levein, Austin MacPhee and all his coaches need to be purged from Tynecastle. It’s a complete joke that Levein is still there and MacPhee is even being spoken about as SD. Just get them to feck.

An irrational view tbh.

AB was quoted as saying.....

“why throw the baby out with the bath water”

And she’s spot on. CL may well have other key attributes which AB sees as a valuable to her. MacPhee could quite well possibly have what it takes to be a successful s Sporting Director rather than a day to day manager of a team.

Views like yours.....without actually knowing what these other roles entail.....are just narrow minded to say the least.

Edited by DH1986

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

An irrational view tbh.

AB was quoted as saying.....

“why throw the baby out with the bath water”

And she’s spot on. CL may well have other key attributes which AB sees as a valuable to her. MacPhee could quite well possibly have what it takes to be a successful s Sporting Director rather than a day to day manager of a team.

Views like yours.....without actually knowing what these other roles entail.....are just narrow minded to say the least.

Craig Levein and Austin MacPhee are the reason we’ve been on a downward spiral towards the Championship and you think those two clowns should be allowed to stay on at Hearts?

:bolt:

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Craig Levein and Austin MacPhee are the reason we’ve been on a downward spiral towards the Championship and you think those two clowns should be allowed to stay on at Hearts?

Nope......didn’t think you’d understand.

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Nope......didn’t think you’d understand.

I understand perfectly. Neither of them should be at Hearts in any capacity, we need new people.

The fact you’re trying to justify Craig Levein staying at Hearts because “he may have other attributes” is laughable. The guy has ruined this club and left a trail of destruction behind him. 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If Stendel, or whoever,  is  happy with it then yes. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Would be very surprised if they wanted that couple hanging around.

Just now, ford donald said:

Would be very surprised if they wanted that couple hanging around.

His choice imo. He probably doesn’t care about Craig who is producing dome report or whatever. He won’t want Austin as assistant. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

It’ll be a complete joke if Levein worms his way back into a role at Hearts in any capacity considering he’s failed in his two previous roles at the club. 

Captain Canada

We initially said we wanted the SD in first. MacPhee's press conference sounded like he thought he was on his way out and putting a brave face on it. 

I think he might get the Motherwell game too as if Stendel joins tomorrow or Friday, he'll have no time to do anything meaningful. 

I'd imagine Austin is going to get a glowing recommendation from Michael O'Neil for the NI job anyway so I'm not sure he'd be around for long. 

42 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They should have been hounded long ago,pair of imposters!

38 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I understand perfectly. Neither of them should be at Hearts in any capacity, we need new people.

The fact you’re trying to justify Craig Levein staying at Hearts because “he may have other attributes” is laughable. The guy has ruined this club and left a trail of destruction behind him. 

It’s not laughable at all......it’s perfectly reasonable actually.

Because CL has really lost his way managing the team does not mean he has lost his way in other tasks. AB has obviously decided this is the case.

Same goes for MacPhee.....he may not make it as a manager but he clearly has other qualities which people who know more you and I are impressed with.

Your “feck them all” attitude is a Rab C Nesbitt tbh. Doesn’t know enough about the finer details so dismisses everything as shite.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Because CL has really lost his way managing the team does not mean he has lost his way in other tasks. AB has obviously decided this is the case.

Same goes for MacPhee.....he may not make it as a manager but he clearly has other qualities which people who know more you and I are impressed with.

Your “feck them all” attitude is a Rab C Nesbitt tbh. Doesn’t know enough about the finer details so dismisses everything as shite.

Levein should have left the club, completely, 5 weeks ago. He has nothing left to offer us.

1 hour ago, ford donald said:

They should have been hounded long ago,pair of imposters!

:spoton:

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Craig Levein was a shite DoF as well. The SD job is the same role with the only exception being that the SD is not the managers boss.

Your toadyness towards the club is embarrassing.

As I remember you were still happy with CL as manager until the very bitter end. How many times are you going to toe the line and be wrong? 

4 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Levein should have left the club, completely, 5 weeks ago. He has nothing left to offer us.

:spoton:

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It’ll be a complete joke if Levein worms his way back into a role at Hearts in any capacity considering he’s failed in his two previous roles at the club. 

I don’t think you’ll laugh. U’m more talking about him seeing out his contract. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I don’t think you’ll laugh. U’m more talking about him seeing out his contract. 

If he had walked at the end of the season or 5 games into the season, which would have been a sensible exercise in damage limitation by the clubs DoF, most wouldn’t grudge him a role at the club. He didn’t, he went past the point of no return and should see the rest of his contract out away from Hearts altogether because of the damage he has done.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If he had walked at the end of the season or 5 games into the season, which would have been a sensible exercise in damage limitation by the clubs DoF, most wouldn’t grudge him a role at the club. He didn’t, he went past the point of no return and should see the rest of his contract out away from Hearts altogether because of the damage he has done.

That might help placate some but if the chairman and new manager are happy for him to do something useful while he’s bring paid then I’m fine with that. 

That might help placate some but if the chairman and new manager are happy for him to do something useful while he’s bring paid then I’m fine with that. 

Says the club line, not the paying supporters !

That's not what I said, can you not read, I said you always follow the club line, not the supporters.

So I’m not a paying supporter? 😄

Just now, Jambothump said:

That's not what I said, can you not read, I said you always follow the club line, not the supporters.

Ah, I see. I might have understood it better if you had phrased it properly.  I didn’t know that was the club line to be honest. For all I know he may be getting kept on regardless of what the new manager wants or may even be getting emptied. I’ve no idea. I just gave my personal opinion. 

25 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Agree.

If you trust that CL will do his best for the club then having him around has it's uses

Showing the potential new manger around and giving him all the help he can is no harm to the club

If you trust what the owner has said re his position then you should have no fear

IF however you feel that somehow he is to be treated as some sort of 'enemy' or persona non grata then nothing will sway your opinion

Just for avoidance of doubt CL should be welcome at our club now and in the future

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Ah, I see. I might have understood it better if you had phrased it properly.  I didn’t know that was the club line to be honest. For all I know he may be getting kept on regardless of what the new manager wants or may even be getting emptied. I’ve no idea. I just gave my personal opinion. 

Nothing wrong with my phrasing, if you can understand written english language. JKB, is by the fans for the Club ! These days !

4 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Nothing wrong with my phrasing, if you can understand written english language. JKB, is by the fans for the Club ! These days !

You’re entitled to your opinion. 👍

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Craig Levein was a shite DoF as well. The SD job is the same role with the only exception being that the SD is not the managers boss.

Your toadyness towards the club is embarrassing.

As I remember you were still happy with CL as manager until the very bitter end. How many times are you going to toe the line and be wrong? 

CL certainly had a patchy record as a DOF....however....it was he who was responsible for seeing us win the Championship at a canter. We really could have been Hibs or Utd and been down there for a few seasons. He ensured that didn’t happen. 

He has also rebuilt or Academy and I’m sure in the coming years we’ll reap the benefits of that.

He has also brought some very good players to the club....some of which will be the backbone of the new managers team.

There is no doubt there were a huge amount of mistakes made and resources were wasted. 

Now.....

CL isn’t being considered for the role of SD....not as any of us are aware anyway. But he clearly has something to offer AB....and if he’s aided in recruiting Stendel surely that can’t be pissing you off?

Yes.....I wanted to give CL every chance to turn it around but it was clear after half a dozen game or so it just wasn’t going to happen. I do think injuries hampered him....certainly last season. But he also should have built a better balanced squad.

Anyway....

His role now at the club won’t impact on our first team and it’s clearly not impacted on attracting a manager. If AB trusts him  and wants him there then that is her prerogative. 

Also....

Is toadyness a word ? 

Edited by DH1986

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

CL certainly had a patchy record as a DOF....however....it was he who was responsible for seeing us win the Championship at a canter. We really could have been Hibs or Utd and been down there for a few seasons. He ensured that didn’t happen. 

He has also rebuilt or Academy and I’m sure in the coming years we’ll reap the benefits of that.

He has also brought some very good players to the club....some of which will be the backbone of the new managers team.

There is no doubt there were a huge amount of mistakes made and resources were wasted. 

Now.....

CL isn’t being considered for the role of SD....not as any of us are aware anyway. But he clearly has something to offer AB....and if he’s aided in recruiting Stendel surely that can’t be pissing you off?

Yes.....I wanted to give CL every chance to turn it around but it was clear after half a dozen game or so it just wasn’t going to happen. I do think injuries hampered him....certainly last season. But he also should have built a better balanced squad.

Anyway....

His role now at the club won’t impact on our first team and it’s clearly not impacted on attracting a manager. If AB trusts him  and wants him there then that is her prerogative. 

Also....

Is toadyness a word ? 

Is he not, because I’m sure I read he’s going to be interim SD. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Levein being anywhere near Hearts is a worry. His advice is why we ended up with Cathro and why we’ve had 2 & a half seasons of utter dross with him as manager. 

The guy has signed tonnes of dross and wasted copious amounts of money, his advice in any shape or form should be ignored. The man has left this club in an absolute state with his shite advice, planning and management. 

And I bet that when Stendel comes in, his teaboys Fox and Daly get shunted to some other position at the club simply because he has Budges ear. The man’s a cretin. An undercover Hibs agent would have done less damage to this club than Levein has.

7 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

This all day long!!! All of them need to leave to get the loser mentality out of the club for good. 
He basically stated he knew we would lose against Rangers before we even went on the park!!! Clown 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 03/12/2019 at 09:47, luckydug said:

Austin has all the attributes needed for the SD role.

He has loads of contacts in the game and has been responsible in bringing most of our better players to the club.

It would be a mistake to judge him on his results as an Interim manager as SD is a totally different role. 

He wouldn't be taking the training or have any say in match preperation  so any of the  rumoured issues with the players wouldn't occur.

Read this ****ing drivel and weep. We must have the thickest fanbase going. No wonder Budge has been able to take the piss for two years.