Happy Birthday Jim Jefferies

Marvin

My dad always told me he knew JJ from years ago. He remembered him as a part time barman if I am not mistaken in the Mayfield that became jooglie brig in musselburgh and think he was also  an insurance salesman at the time. Anyway me and my late father went to Belgrade when we played red star late 90s . We got a great result and the small band of travelling fans were in good spirit at the departure gate bar when the team arrived for departure. JJ walked through and took a wee glance to the side and marched over shook my dad by the hand and said " Jimmy didn't Ken you were here you should have let me know wd have done something for ye "

Class in a moment like that he took the time to single out someone he hardly knew and seemed so genuine.

Happy birthday Jim 

Edited by Heartbeat

Happy birthday to the great man. How was JJ as a player? Good player in a poor team or just not good enough? Genuine question as im far too young to have ever seen him play.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

All the best, Jim. 1998 will always be my favourite Scottish Cup win. Always. 

Definitely.

It still brings shivers when I think about it.

21 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Happy birthday to the great man. How was JJ as a player? Good player in a poor team or just not good enough? Genuine question as im far too young to have ever seen him play.

Wholehearted and talented player but not one of the greats.  Had an eye for goal and always gave 100%.

Always well liked and respected by Hearts supporters.  Never really in international contention.

That's how I remember him.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Wholehearted and talented player but not one of the greats.  Had an eye for goal and always gave 100%.

Always well liked and respected by Hearts supporters.  Never really in international contention.

That's how I remember him.

I would agree with that.

33 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Without wanting to use too many cliches - steady, solid, popular and gave his all. 

I was only a wee boy then, but loved JJ.

Quite possibly the definitive Hearts man. 

Boyhood fan, captained the club, managed the club to one of our most treasured triumphs. 

Respected by all, hard, fair, decent, honest and, according to my old mum, a good looking bugger as well.

Happy Birthday, Mr Hearts. 

Best memory of him as a player was the Airdrie game in 1980 when the lads came over to the shed. In big Jim's possession the trophy looked tiny. 

Best memory as manager goes without saying. 

Easy to claim but when I read on teletext that Jim was, after all, leaving Falkirk and coming to us, I knew a trophy was incoming.

A_A wehatethehibs

No matter what disrespectful young kids say, JJ could walk in to that Hearts dressing room tomorrow absolutely no problem and boot these players into shape, start getting some ****ing wins for the hard working fans who are pumping fortunes into this club.

But he’s done his time, who needs that stress! Happy Birthday Jim Jeffries.

I'm 67 tomorrow. Went to musselburgh grammar as did JJ.He was 2 years above me.we used to watch him playing for the third years at pinkie on a Saturday morning. Memories eh .

Still to find as good a manager as him since his first spell, maybe even his second short spell too.  

A true Hearts legend and no one knew better than him that Hearts should be built on attacking play and believing they can take their game to the opposition.

Don’t think there was many sides JJ built I didn’t enjoy watching.  

I've shed tears a few times for Hearts.  The worst was when we were in dire straits 5 years ago.  The best was when this man won the Cup for us.

Tears and speechless.

Legend all right.

9 hours ago, TheStig said:

JJ was indeed a good solid player in a poor team - regardless of that he only wanted to play for one team - his beloved Hearts.

Jim was a young apprentice to a great pal of mine Frank Duncan in the Co-op garage in Musselburgh.

We all played golf together at Musselburgh 
most Fridays - Jim never had a great swing but even back then he was a born winner.

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Jim never had a great swing but even back then he was a born winner.

If he never won the Stableford then I'm calling bullshit on that Shomato. 

chester copperpot

Probably my favourite Hearts manager of all time. I was just that wee bit too young to fully appreciate wee Doddy. 

Happy birthday JJ. Hope you see many many more. 

11 hours ago, Barack said:

What do you and Jim play off of?

I played off 1 and Jim played off 5 back in the day - a good few shots have been added to the handicap now! 😖