Partick Thistle Fan Owned

Jambomuzz

Had a look and couldn't see anything on this today on here. Partick Thistle have been bought over today by Colin Wier and will become completly fan owned by March 2020 at the latest. Have a soft spot for thistle having lived in Glasgow all my life and glad the club Is in safe hands! What a fantastic gesture. 

PhoenixHearts

I thought this was going to be a video of a drunk and disorderly Partick fan getting telt. 

Wee bit disappointed, not gonna lie.

Edited by PhoenixHearts

57 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I thought this was going to be a video of a drunk and disorderly Partick fan getting telt. 

Wee bit disappointed, not gonna lie.

:D Me too. Ah, the difference a wee hyphen (or lack thereof) can make to the meaning of a sentence.

When it was announced on Sportsound last night David Currie (I think it was him) broke off from talking Hibs with Kenny Miller to tell him a lottery winner was buying his team. My first thought was Hibs had hit the jackpot. 

Relieved when I realised it was Thistle. 

Toxteth O'Grady
10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Good on the guy buying the club then giving the support it for nothing.

Indeed! He’s a kind hearted guy who came into a load of money. I don’t think he keeps in the best of health so Thistle are one of his main pleasures. 

10 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Indeed! He’s a kind hearted guy who came into a load of money. I don’t think he keeps in the best of health so Thistle are one of his main pleasures. 

Seems a top guy who loves his club, respect to him it’s the kind of thing you chat in the pub about but would probably do different if it actually happened :lol: 

I'm a little concerned that the supporters contribute no money for their ownership status but best of luck to them.

Great old club.  Was always a pleasure to go to Glasgow when we were playing Partick.  Clyde and Third Lanark didn't provide the same experience.

If I had won £161m, Hearts would have got a big chunk of it and Partick a wee chunk.

My favourite other club.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm a little concerned that the supporters contribute no money for their ownership status but best of luck to them.

Great old club.  Was always a pleasure to go to Glasgow when we were playing Partick.  Clyde and Third Lanark didn't provide the same experience.

If I had won £161m, Hearts would have got a big chunk of it and Partick a wee chunk.

My favourite other club.

Why would it concern you?  The guy is getting on a bit, has money to burn and make the supporters the custodians of the club.  It’s winners all round for the football club, especially if the investment now continues on the youth academy. 

I get that Thistle are inoffensive and fair play to anyone from that shitepit city not taking the easy bigoted way out but ffs the fawning over this club just sums us up as a fanbase. Having a 'soft spot' for a club who is often in our league is just wrong.

5 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Not sure its having a soft spot for them, more just realising that not everyone from Glasgow is a thick, bigoted clown

I totally get that. OF fans are sub human filth but I really wish that as a club we would toughen up. Every 'other' team has to be seen as the enemy.

4 hours ago, farin said:

Good piece detailing it here..

EuroMillions winner Colin Weir has completed his takeover at Partick Thistle and plans to gift ownership to fans next year.

Weir, 71, has purchased a majority shareholding and a holding in land at the club's Firhill Stadium.

The lifelong supporter will immediately give the land back to the Scottish Championship club.

His 55% shareholding will then go to a fan group being developed, based on the Well Society model at Motherwell.

The free transfer of shares will happen "no later than the 30 March 2020".

Weir has already invested around £2.5m of his £161m lottery win from 2011 in the Glasgow club and previously set aside £6m for a new training ground.

But he withdrew his support in August citing "uncertainties" about a mooted takeover by a foreign consortium.

An interim board will be established "comprising of a mix of experienced business people and fan representatives", while a working group is to be set up jointly by the PTFC Trust and Thistle for Ever organisations to create the body that will receive the shareholding.

The land purchased from Firhill Developments is the south terrace area and main stand and it will revert back to full Thistle ownership after 10 years under the terms of the deal.

'Fan owners will not need to repay a penny' 

"Thistle for Ever planted the thought of fan ownership as a real option in my mind," said Weir in a statement.

"But this has all happened quicker than anyone might have anticipated. That's why I have offered a three to four month window for fans to get everything in place before handing over shares. 

"They want to get it right and I want to be sure that when the new entity is operational, there is a structure that will allow for a smooth transfer of ownership. This is a major financial commitment on my part as fan owners will not need to repay a penny - but I believe this gives fan ownership the best possible start."

Weir also promised a future announcement on his plans for funding the club's youth academy.

Indian restaurant entrepreneur Dr Charan Gill is among the directors who will join Weir on Partick Thistle's board of directors.

Dr Gill built the largest chain of independently owned Indian restaurants in Europe before selling up to focus on personal interests and has maintained close links since his Ashoka restaurant was one of the club's first shirt sponsors.

Partick Thistle FC Trust vice-chair Alan Caldwell, a civil servant, and banker Andrew Byron, who has been a trustee, are also directors.

They are joined by Ian Dodd, who joined the club's board in 2010, and former journalist John Penman.

Weir, 71, has purchased a majority shareholding and a holding in land at the club's Firhill Stadium.

The lifelong supporter will immediately give the land back to the Scottish Championship club.

The land purchased from Firhill Developments is the south terrace area and main stand and it will revert back to full Thistle ownership after 10 years under the terms of the deal.

Does that mean the land has been owned by Firhill Developments for ten years, or that it will be a further ten years before it is owned by the fans?

Sounds like the Land will remain in his ownership for ten years, maybe as some kind of security to retain a degree of say at the club.

Best of luck to Thistle.

6 minutes ago, kelosom said:

Sounds like the Land will remain in his ownership for ten years, maybe as some kind of security to retain a degree of say at the club.

Best of luck to Thistle.

Yeah, re-reading it, that makes the most sense. Obviously a bit early in the morning for me. Ten years seems a bit long to hold on to it when you’re 71 years of age though.

I agree with your last sentence completely. Best of luck Partick Thistle.